Author Topic: Water filter  (Read 2808 times)

lesaucer

Water filter
« on: June 09, 2010, 05:40:00 PM »
anybody using a water filter?
 i was thinking of getting this one  http://www.aquasana.com/product_detail.php?product_id=1
supposedly get rid of hormones,drugs and chemicals and keep the natural minerals...

Mr Nobody

• Getbig V
  • Falcon gives us new knowledge every single day.
Re: Water filter
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2010, 05:52:06 PM »
anybody using a water filter?
 i was thinking of getting this one  http://www.aquasana.com/product_detail.php?product_id=1
supposedly get rid of hormones,drugs and chemicals and keep the natural minerals...
I use a Britta it might not do shit but its cheap google it up. you can buy a container with the Britta and pout tap water into it.

Tapeworm

• Getbig V
  • Hold Fast
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2010, 05:59:20 PM »
I use a Britta it might not do shit but its cheap google it up. you can buy a container with the Britta and pout tap water into it.

Yep.  I have one.  Definitely removes chlorine taste.

A lot of municipalities in the US are using chloramine instead, I think.  Unfortunately, a carbon drip filter won't cut the mustard for that.

Captain Equipoise

• Getbig V
  • back from the dead...
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2010, 06:02:30 PM »
Who's that crazy pro bodybuilder that has a $800 filtration machine for his tap water at home and talks shit about bottled spring water ?!?! was it Centopani !?

Mr Nobody

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2010, 06:12:51 PM »
Yep.  I have one.  Definitely removes chlorine taste.

A lot of municipalities in the US are using chloramine instead, I think.  Unfortunately, a carbon drip filter won't cut the mustard for that.
Damn Tape now I'll have to start buying distilled water again. tape knows his shit on air and water filters no doubt.

Tapeworm

• Getbig V
  • Hold Fast
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2010, 06:48:47 PM »
Damn Tape now I'll have to start buying distilled water again. tape knows his shit on air and water filters no doubt.

Bottled water maybe.  You're not supposed to drink distilled water bro!  Something to do with its lack of mineral content will mess you up, I think.

Mr Nobody

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2010, 06:51:48 PM »
Bottled water maybe.  You're not supposed to drink distilled water bro!  Something to do with its lack of mineral content will mess you up, I think.
Good info but why do they suggest giving distlled to babies?

noworries

• Getbig V
  • Train Heavy or Go Home
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2010, 07:03:51 PM »
best one is Kangen
No Worries 4 me

Tapeworm

• Getbig V
  • Hold Fast
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2010, 07:05:02 PM »
Good info but why do they suggest giving distlled to babies?

Doesn't affect the taste of the meat?

Can't say.  I never heard that.

NaturalWonder83

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2010, 07:06:56 PM »
Who's that crazy pro bodybuilder that has a $800 filtration machine for his tap water at home and talks shit about bottled spring water ?!?! was it Centopani !?

oh yeah thats the dude
w

Mr Nobody

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2010, 07:13:00 PM »
oh yeah thats the dude
What kind of water do you drink Gene?

NaturalWonder83

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2010, 07:15:53 PM »
What kind of water do you drink Gene?
i like poland spring fiji or smart water
w

Mr Nobody

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2010, 07:19:21 PM »
i like poland spring fiji or smart water
I'll try that, Tape tells me distilled is not good and the Britta doesnt work, I consider you and Tape as experts on this topic.

Tapeworm

• Getbig V
  • Hold Fast
« Reply #13 on: June 09, 2010, 07:23:43 PM »
I'll try that, Tape tells me distilled is not good and the Britta doesnt work, I consider you and Tape as experts on this topic.

Depends what your local water is treated with.  I have a Brita which does the job for me.  My old dad has a house in Maine tho and the town water would need a reverse osmosis system to get rid of the chloramine treatments they use, so they use well water instead and run it through a Brita jug.

Mr Nobody

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: June 09, 2010, 07:30:32 PM »
Depends what your local water is treated with.  I have a Brita which does the job for me.  My old dad has a house in Maine tho and the town water would need a reverse osmosis system to get rid of the chloramine treatments they use, so they use well water instead and run it through a Brita jug.
Interesting Falcon was talking about this once he was having some kind of heart issue then went a drank well water from his parents house in the country and it seemed to go away. I live in the city man I cant drive to a well everyday so whats the best choice here?

Tapeworm

• Getbig V
  • Hold Fast
« Reply #15 on: June 09, 2010, 07:40:35 PM »
Interesting Falcon was talking about this once he was having some kind of heart issue then went a drank well water from his parents house in the country and it seemed to go away. I live in the city man I cant drive to a well everyday so whats the best choice here?

The city council could tell you what they use to treat the water.  If it's just chlorine then stick with the Brita jug.  If it's chloramine, you could opt to buy spring water or look into the potential risks and decide if it's something that worries you or not.  Me?  I'd buy water to drink if city water is chloramine treated but I'd use the tap for boiling veggies, brushing my teeth, etc.

Mr Nobody

• Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: June 09, 2010, 07:43:16 PM »
The city council could tell you what they use to treat the water.  If it's just chlorine then stick with the Brita jug.  If it's chloramine, you could opt to buy spring water or look into the potential risks and decide if it's something that worries you or not.  Me?  I'd buy water to drink if city water is chloramine treated but I'd use the tap for boiling veggies, brushing my teeth, etc.
Now that being said maybe by the Spring Water then run it through the Britta? I dont have a clue on if the water here has chloramine.

Tapeworm

• Getbig V
  • Hold Fast
« Reply #17 on: June 09, 2010, 07:46:03 PM »
Now that being said maybe by the Spring Water then run it through the Britta? I dont have a clue on if the water here has chloramine.

Nah.  Spring water is good to drink straight up.  I think Pepsi water was the only one I heard of that ever had issues.

Mr Nobody

• Getbig V
« Reply #18 on: June 09, 2010, 07:49:08 PM »
Nah.  Spring water is good to drink straight up.  I think Pepsi water was the only one I heard of that ever had issues.
Thanks dawg for all the info I always thought distilled was best but in your conversations seems you would be missing some vital minerals and such. Now do you work in this field or just study this stuff?

HTexan

• Getbig V
  • Heath must lose!!
« Reply #19 on: June 09, 2010, 09:18:01 PM »
best one is Kangen
i got one, beware. lot of sites/people that sell them are scams
A

Tapeworm

• Getbig V
  • Hold Fast
« Reply #20 on: June 09, 2010, 09:37:44 PM »
Thanks dawg for all the info I always thought distilled was best but in your conversations seems you would be missing some vital minerals and such. Now do you work in this field or just study this stuff?

No, just a collector or random facts.  ;D  The distilled water objection was pulled from the internet.  It makes sense to me but I might be wrong.  The dangers of chloramine treatment and carbon drip filter's inability to solve it were brought up by my father after they got the place in Maine.  He's a pretty well educated guy who usually knows what he's talking about although he can be a bit disproportionately worried at times. 

newmom

« Reply #21 on: June 10, 2010, 02:12:58 AM »
the well water is fine here, if I had to drink city water..ewwwwwww but Id get a filter. Brita works great but to much of a pain in the arse

Dreadlifter

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #22 on: June 10, 2010, 03:24:44 AM »
Nothing beats an nice cold glass of Scottish tap water. Water filter? What water filter?

Personally i think people worry too much about water. I and i say this as a water scientist, i spend my days in a lab anaylsing samples.

Those of us in the civilised world should consider themselves grateful that they can just turn on a tap and have good clean water on demand.

Tapeworm

• Getbig V
  • Hold Fast
« Reply #23 on: June 10, 2010, 03:33:02 AM »
Nothing beats an nice cold glass of Scottish tap water. Water filter? What water filter?

Personally i think people worry too much about water. I and i say this as a water scientist, i spend my days in a lab anaylsing samples.

Those of us in the civilised world should consider themselves grateful that they can just turn on a tap and have good clean water on demand.

It is good for sure.  But you are looking for bacterial or chemical contaminants I assume?  Are there studies being done on the long term health effects of consuming the chems which keep the water clean?  (No dickhead, genuinely curious)

Also, why is there no concensus on chlorine vs chloramine, how some places use one, other use the other?

Dreadlifter

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #24 on: June 10, 2010, 04:46:59 AM »
It is good for sure.  But you are looking for bacterial or chemical contaminants I assume?  Are there studies being done on the long term health effects of consuming the chems which keep the water clean?  (No dickhead, genuinely curious)

Also, why is there no concensus on chlorine vs chloramine, how some places use one, other use the other?

Contaminants, pathogenic bacterial/planktonic organisms. Regarding long term health studies, i'm not sure, but would expect that there is a monitoring system in place. I can only speak for Scotland.

Chlorine vs chloramine i think would basically come down to two things: cost and taste/odour. Chloramine hangs around longer, so less frequent use/lower amounts required and hence likely lower expenditure. Chloramine isn't as noticeable in water, chlorine can put some people off drinking water.