Author Topic: School Allows Pledge of Allegiance in Spanish, Parents Offended  (Read 3427 times)

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
 :o

School Allows Pledge of Allegiance in Spanish, Parents Offended

The story of an elementary school in Wrightstown, Wisconsin that is being criticized for allowing its children to recite the Pledge of Allegiance in the Spanish language, caught the attention of U.S. English, a Washington, D.C. based advocacy group. U.S. English wants to make English the official language of the The United States of America.

In an attempt to share his point of view about the Pledge of Allegiance being cited in Spanish, The CEO of U.S. English wrote in a local newspaper, “Administrators in Wrightstown owe it to their students, especially those whom English is not their first language, to instill in them the value of speaking and understanding our common language. That includes reciting the Pledge of Allegiance in English.”

Parents have become outraged over the Pledge of Allegiance being allowed to be recited in the Spanish language. A parent of a kindergartner recently attended an event at Wrightstown Elementary School where the principal invited boys and girls to recite the Pledge of Allegiance in their choice of languages; either English or Spanish. When the parent witnessed this, she became concerned and contacted the FOX News Radio affiliate WTAQ in Green Bay.

The mother, who asked to remain anonymous, shared a copy of a letter she wrote to the principal explaining her opposition to the issue. The letter stated:

“Not only does reciting this in Spanish insult our family as American citizens, it is disrespectful to the veterans who have defended our country. English is the primary language in this country. The Pledge of Allegiance was written in English and should be recited in English. No similar accommodations were made for other immigrant patterns in history nor should they be as long as the American flag is flying. The purpose of the Pledge of Allegiance is to inspire patriotism and unify America. And to recite it in Spanish is offensive.”

The principal of the school, Lee Mierow attempted to defend his actions by stating in a letter that the offer students the Spanish recitation was an attempt at helping Spanish-speaking students to understand the importance of the Pledge of Allegiance. He stated, "It is my responsibility as a principal in a public school to give every student the opportunity to learn and grow as a student, no matter what their race or religion." He then went on to praise the parent’s patriotism, but reminded her that, “the Constitution guarantees the fundamental rights and civil liberties of every person in this country. The pledge is read and recited in Spanish by those students whose primary language is Spanish and is not recited by our English-speaking students who are not fluent in Spanish."

Another school, a senior high school in Edgertown, Wisconsin recently allowed students to recite the Pledge of Allegiance in Spanish as well. Some war veterans were engaged. One Vietnam veteran said that the pledge should only be recited in English since, "this is the United States." He continued to say that reciting the pledge in another nation’s language is not only wrong, it’s unpatriotic. The school is defending the practice saying it’s an annual tradition for its students.

Written by Dr. KC Kelly Ph.D.

http://www.huliq.com/10017/school-allows-pledge-allegiance-spanish-parents-offended

12secGT

• Getbig III
Re: School Allows Pledge of Allegiance in Spanish, Parents Offended
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2010, 11:26:39 AM »
 ::) just a head shaker...

24KT

• Getbig V
  • Gold Savings Account Rep +1 (310) 409-2244
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2010, 04:07:53 PM »
::) just a head shaker...

It truly is a head shaker for me. Who cares what language someone uses... they are declaring and pledging their allegiance to the flag of the USA! That's your country! Who gives a shit what laguage they use to do it. The important part is that they're doing it.
w

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2010, 04:35:22 PM »
It truly is a head shaker for me. Who cares what language someone uses... they are declaring and pledging their allegiance to the flag of the USA! That's your country! Who gives a shit what laguage they use to do it. The important part is that they're doing it.
jagson if you cant communicate it makes it extremely hard to interact with one another...seeing as the majority of this country speaks english it would behoove someone who wants to assimilate themselves into this society to learn english...

if they dont want to assimilate they need to GET THE FUCK OUT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

George Whorewell

• Getbig V
  • TND
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2010, 04:36:11 AM »
In JagSON's perfect one-world communist utopia, everyone speaks, writes and reads in any language they please. Everyone on earth should learn everybody elses language regardless of where they live or what the circumstances are.

Every business will be required by law to print every single document in every single language just in case someone might not be able to understand it. All radio/ television shows and music will be made availible in every single language and will come equipped with close captioning and subtitles for every single language.

In school, each teacher will have to conduct an informal survey of every student and then learn each one of the students preffered languages fluently. Then, every single class will be conducted seperatly in that individual students native language. The school day will quadruple in length, and the entire ciriculum will center around math and foreign language.

In order to compensate for the brutally inefficient JagSON plan, the hours in every day will be extended from 24- 36.

The Showstoppa

• Getbig V
  • Call the vet, cause these pythons are sick!
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2010, 05:41:07 AM »
"The principal of the school, Lee Mierow attempted to defend his actions by stating in a letter that the offer students the Spanish recitation was an attempt at helping Spanish-speaking students to understand the importance of the Pledge of Allegiance. He stated, "It is my responsibility as a principal in a public school to give every student the opportunity to learn and grow as a student, no matter what their race or religion."

How bout they "learn" English, you gimpy toolbag?!?

loco

• Getbig V
  • loco like a fox
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2010, 05:44:34 AM »
jagson if you cant communicate it makes it extremely hard to interact with one another...seeing as the majority of this country speaks english it would behoove someone who wants to assimilate themselves into this society to learn english...

if they dont want to assimilate they need to GET THE FUCK OUT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The majority of this world speaks English, and at least one other language.  The majority of Americans speak only English, and barely.  I believe we will all speak English in Heaven, for the sake of Americans.     :)

The Showstoppa

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2010, 05:47:28 AM »
The majority of this world speaks English, and at least one other language.  The majority of Americans speak only English, and barely.  I believe we will all speak English in Heaven, for the sake of Americans.     :)

You should have stopped after the part in bold.....it's the only "point" you make that means anything.

loco

• Getbig V
  • loco like a fox
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2010, 05:53:36 AM »
You should have stopped after the part in bold.....it's the only "point" you make that means anything.

Why?  Are you an American who speaks only English, barely?    :)

Fury

• Getbig V
  • All aboard the USS Leverage
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2010, 05:56:32 AM »

You should be more tolerant, man. Never mind that these people REFUSE to even learn passable English, it's your fault that you can't understand them. ::)

This is akin to me driving to some suburb in Mexico and then getting pissed off when no one understands English. I wouldn't expect them to know English just like these people shouldn't expect us to know Spanish.

The Showstoppa

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2010, 06:09:15 AM »
Why?  Are you an American who speaks only English, barely?    :)

No taco, I actually speak a bit of german....can understand it better than speak it myself.... and the "point" is why learn one of hundreds of languages when we already speak the BY FAR predominant language spoken in the world? 

It's no different than the US should have adopted the metric system years ago.  Better system, easier to use, majority of the world uses it, etc....

brooklynbruiser

• Getbig IV
« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2010, 06:19:38 AM »
Actually, English and Spanish are the world's second and third most spoken languages by number of speakers, depending on where you look. Mandarin Chinese is first.

English, however, is the most used because of commerce.

http://www2.ignatius.edu/faculty/turner/languages.htm

What I am saying is, many people expect things to happen overnight. Spanish-speaking people in this country will assimilate into the culture eventually. Just not on the same timetable. :)
Almost always, yes.

The Showstoppa

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2010, 06:27:09 AM »
You should be more tolerant, man. Never mind that these people REFUSE to even learn passable English, it's your fault that you can't understand them. ::)

This is akin to me driving to some suburb in Mexico and then getting pissed off when no one understands English. I wouldn't expect them to know English just like these people shouldn't expect us to know Spanish.

Exactly.  When I was in europe, when I visited a country I would make the effort to learn passable phrases to getby while in those countries....and if I was unable to communicate, it was my own fault.  I didn't get pissed at the other person for not understanding me. 
It's funny how the same people who consider themselves so "wordly" on here have a different set of standards for the US vs everybody else.  If an American travels to a foreign country and can't speak the language, he is an "ugly American..."   ::) And we are only talking about visiting....these turds actually want to live here!  Yet we should learn their language.....whatever.

24KT

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2010, 06:37:31 AM »

That presumes Americans will even make it into heaven.   :D

I have a feeling God might look down on the gigantic clusterfvck called the USA and but an abloy on the Pearly Gates!  ;D
w

loco

• Getbig V
  • loco like a fox
« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2010, 06:40:26 AM »
That presumes Americans will even make it into heaven.   :D

I have a feeling God might look down on the gigantic clusterfvck called the USA and but an abloy on the Pearly Gates!  ;D

Jag,

You just hate Americans because Canada is America's retarded little brother.    :)

loco

• Getbig V
  • loco like a fox
« Reply #15 on: June 11, 2010, 06:43:00 AM »

No taco, I actually speak a bit of german....can understand it better than speak it myself.... and the "point" is why learn one of hundreds of languages when we already speak the BY FAR predominant language spoken in the world

It's no different than the US should have adopted the metric system years ago.  Better system, easier to use, majority of the world uses it, etc....

Why learn one of hundreds of languages?  No, just Spanish.  Americans should learn Spanish since it is the second most spoken language in America, and soon to be the first...Hispanics spread like roaches.    ;D

24KT

• Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: June 11, 2010, 06:53:03 AM »
Jag,

You just hate Americans because Canada is America's retarded little brother.    :)

Actually, we Canadians think of Americans as our retarded cousins, ...but we don't like to admit any familial relationships. I don't hate Americans. How can you hate a people who give you such huge belly laughs? They're like stupid annoying little children who run with scissors, while their shoe laces are untied. You know eventually they're going to trip and fall, ...and they do. But like the retarded little bastards they are... they get right back up and do it again, ...and again, ...and again. The laughs just keep on coming.  ;D
w

24KT

• Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: June 11, 2010, 06:58:20 AM »
Exactly.  When I was in europe, when I visited a country I would make the effort to learn passable phrases to getby while in those countries....and if I was unable to communicate, it was my own fault.  I didn't get pissed at the other person for not understanding me. 
It's funny how the same people who consider themselves so "wordly" on here have a different set of standards for the US vs everybody else.  If an American travels to a foreign country and can't speak the language, he is an "ugly American..."   ::) And we are only talking about visiting....these turds actually want to live here!  Yet we should learn their language.....whatever.

psst: It's not the inability to speak the native tongue that makes people call them "ugly Americans".
It's for reasons far more pervasive and substantive than that. Think "Bullet" from the OC and arrogant hubris.
w

24KT

• Getbig V
« Reply #18 on: June 11, 2010, 08:25:35 AM »
Jag hates America because she couldn't hack it as an actress here

I never pursued an acting career in the US. I live in Canada and this was where I worked.
w

dario73

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #19 on: June 11, 2010, 08:34:40 AM »

What country are you in?  Case closed.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Doesnt lie about lifting.
« Reply #20 on: June 11, 2010, 08:36:19 AM »
I never pursued an acting career in the US. I live in Canada and this was where I worked.

Appearing on the nightly news for picking up johns doesnt count.   

dario73

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #21 on: June 11, 2010, 08:38:48 AM »
Why learn one of hundreds of languages?  No, just Spanish.  Americans should learn Spanish since it is the second most spoken language in America, and soon to be the first...Hispanics spread like roaches.    ;D

They are roaches. Which is why they need to be stopped at all costs.

dario73

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #22 on: June 11, 2010, 08:39:54 AM »
Appearing on the nightly news for picking up johns doesnt count.   

There is not a john alive that would hit that with a ten foot pole.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Doesnt lie about lifting.
« Reply #23 on: June 11, 2010, 08:45:50 AM »
There is not a john alive that would hit that with a ten foot pole.

I think Eyeball said he would. 

dario73

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #24 on: June 11, 2010, 09:03:56 AM »
Actually, we Canadians think of Americans as our retarded cousins, ...but we don't like to admit any familial relationships. I don't hate Americans. How can you hate a people who give you such huge belly laughs? They're like stupid annoying little children who run with scissors, while their shoe laces are untied. You know eventually they're going to trip and fall, ...and they do. But like the retarded little bastards they are... they get right back up and do it again, ...and again, ...and again. The laughs just keep on coming.  ;D

You type a lot, but none of it matters because Canada, as everyone knows, is irrelevant. No one cares about Canada. No one sees Canada as a leader in anything.

Except for hockey and the Niagara Falls, what does Canada have to offer? Yeah, yeah, your stupid argument is that the USA is just a war mongering nation. But the fact is this world would be utter garbage, it would be in an even worst state then it is now if it wasn't for the USA.  Which is why so many people and their mother risk their lives to come here. Most illegally, right, loco toto.

Canada could disappear and no one would notice. I take that back. It would be a loss of a damn good parking lot.