Author Topic: Social issues 'truce' for GOP? Huck no!  (Read 1249 times)

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
Social issues 'truce' for GOP? Huck no!
« on: June 12, 2010, 06:50:07 PM »
I agree with Huck.  If you believe an issue is right or wrong, you don't drop it.  I can understand prioritizing, but disagree with the "truce" concept.  

Social issues 'truce' for GOP? Huck no!
'Life and traditional marriage are not bargaining chips nor are they political'
Posted: June 12, 2010
By Drew Zahn
© 2010 WorldNetDaily

A political "truce on social issues" proposed by a possible 2012 presidential candidate, Indiana's Republican Governor Mitch Daniels, has sparked immediate backlash from many conservatives, notably former GOP Oval Office-seeker, Mike Huckabee.

"The issues of life and traditional marriage are not bargaining chips nor are they political issues. They are moral issues," Huckabee writes in an entry on his Huck PAC blog. "This is absolutely heartbreaking."

Daniels told The Weekly Standard in an extensive profile piece that the next president, whoever he or she may be, "would have to call a truce on the so-called social issues" in order to focus more intensively on the nation's economic woes.

Understand the agenda of abortion. Get "Marketing of Evil: How Radicals, Elitists, and Pseudo-Experts Sell Us Corruption Disguised as Freedom"

"We're going to just have to agree to get along for a little while," he said.

In the same article, Curt Smith of the Indiana Family Institute praised Daniels, saying, "He has a deep faith, he's totally pro-life, and he walks the talk," and told Senior Editor Andrew Ferguson that Daniels "might get away with a truce for a year or two."

Despite the economy and regardless of Daniels' track record, however, Huckabee is leading a chorus of critics who won't concede to putting abortion and traditional marriage on the back burner.

"Can you let the tragedy of abortion go unchecked while we get our financial house in order? I cannot," Huckabee writes. "Governor Daniels is a personal friend and a terrific governor, and I'm very disappointed that he would think that pro-life and pro-family activists would just lie down."

Another Weekly Standard editor, John McCormack, confronted Daniels earlier this week on what the governor meant by a "truce," specifically addressing taxpayer funding of abortion in Obamacare and the Mexico City Policy, which banned federal funds to overseas groups that perform abortions until Obama revoked the policy in his first week in office.

McCormack reports Daniels said the nation is facing a "genuine national emergency" regarding the budget and that "maybe these things could be set aside for a while. But this doesn't mean anybody abandons their position at all. Everybody just stands down for a little while, while we try to save the republic."

Tony Perkins, president of the Family Research Council, has joined in criticism of the truce, a proposal he calls "astonishing" and a "surprising departure from [Daniels'] pro-family record."

"These aren't fringe issues that stretch moderate America. They're mainstream ideals that an overwhelming majority of the nation espouses," Perkins said in a statement. "I support the governor 100 percent on the call for fiscal responsibility, but nothing is more fiscally responsible than ending the taxpayer funding of abortion and abortion promotion. More than 70 percent of our nation agrees that killing innocent unborn children with federal dollars is wrong. Yet stopping government-funded murder isn't a 'genuine national emergency?'"

Daniels has actually established a long track record of pro-life work, signing into law in Indiana legislation that permits women to see an ultrasound of their unborn children prior to undergoing abortions, the establishment of an umbilical cord blood bank as an alternative source of stem cells to human embryos, stronger inspection requirements for abortion clinics, and a bill banning human cloning. His administration also approved a state "Choose Life" license plate that supports pro-life pregnancy crisis centers.

To some, however, the sin of a truce on moral issues cannot be absolved by past deeds.

"When it involves life, no one can make a truce," Kristan Hawkins, president of Students for Life of America told LifeNews.com. "There is no room for gray area, no time to play dead, and no time to stick our head in the sand. When you realize that 1.3 million babies are aborted every year, Governor Mitch Daniels' words show a level of cowardice that is not expected from a presidential hopeful."

Daniels has not officially declared interest in seeking the presidency in 2012, but neither has he slammed the door on the idea, saying only that though he "doesn't want to run," he might be compelled to consider it.

Austin Ruse, president of the Catholic Family and Human Rights Institute, however, has said declaring a truce on social issues could likely snuff out any presidential aspirations.

"Something like this will cost him any consideration from one of the key constituencies of the Republican Party," Ruse told LifeNews.com.

Ramesh Ponnuru, a senior editor of National Review, sees another practical problem with Daniels' truce proposal:

"Truces are usually popular, and most people see the economic issues as more important than the social ones at this moment," Ponnuru writes. "But I'm not sure how a truce would work. If Justice Kennedy retired on President Daniels's watch, for example, he would have to pick someone as a replacement. End of truce."

http://www.wnd.com/index.php?fa=PAGE.view&pageId=165641

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
Re: Social issues 'truce' for GOP? Huck no!
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2010, 07:12:36 PM »
personally, i wish the election would focus mostly upon national economic, healthcare, and war policy.

let the states handle abortion, gay marriage, etc etc.

let the election be decided by the issues that affect us in a major way - not those small divisive issue which affect 1% of us.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2010, 07:15:03 PM »
Social issues have an impact on most of the population. 

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2010, 07:21:42 PM »
Social issues have an impact on most of the population. 

ehhhh in such a minor way compared with healthcare, economy and war.

I mean, I know many people just love to argue about these issues, but wow... they put in idiots who spend trillions fighting wars and handing away 1/6 of our economy on socialized medicine...

But hey, 'their guy' agrees with them on what 2 ppl can do in the bedroom.  I don't get it.  But I guess to some ppl, the ability of a military man to admit his preference is greater than the other things...

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2010, 07:31:00 PM »

I mean, I know many people just love to argue about these issues, but wow... they put in idiots who spend trillions fighting wars and handing away 1/6 of our economy on socialized medicine...

But hey, 'their guy' agrees with them on what 2 ppl can do in the bedroom.  I don't get it.  But I guess to some ppl, the ability of a military man to admit his preference is greater than the other things...

You don't determine how much of the population is affected by an issue by comparing it to other issues.  An issue is either important or not.  It either affects a substantial part of the population or it doesn't.

Huck is right:  you don't call a "truce" on issues that are important and involve questions of "right" and "wrong."

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Doesnt lie about lifting.
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2010, 07:18:02 AM »

240, you should see some of the flame wars I get into on FR over social issues.  Some of those loons make me look like a flaming lib. 

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2010, 07:20:20 AM »
240, you should see some of the flame wars I get into on FR over social issues.  Some of those loons make me look like a flaming lib. 
oh now you post there.  You told us you didn't post there anymore ::)

BM OUT

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2010, 08:56:00 AM »
Id take Mitch Daniels opinions over Hukabbes ANYDAY of the week.Hukabee is a filthy Bible thumper who speaks of freedom and liberty but wants to dictate how people run their lives in EXACTLY the same way Obama does.How about the next president concentrates on fixing the fucking roads and protecting the borders and fucking leave the rest of us alone.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2010, 08:57:32 AM »
oh now you post there.  You told us you didn't post there anymore ::)

I re-signed up there a few months ago under a different name and IP.  I'll pm you the account name and you can check for yourself.  Deal?

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2010, 09:09:55 AM »
You don't determine how much of the population is affected by an issue by comparing it to other issues.  An issue is either important or not.  It either affects a substantial part of the population or it doesn't.

Huck is right:  you don't call a "truce" on issues that are important and involve questions of "right" and "wrong."

Agreed!! But, as Roland Martin said on CNN, When you broke as hell, you broke as hell. That was the sentiment going into 2008, which is why Obama got the nod. With that said, we must note that Obama's most ardent supporters in California (blacks and Latinos) overwhelmingly went for Prop. 8, the state's marriage amendment.

Florida, my home state, flipped from "red" to "blue". Yet, its Amendment 2 passed 62-38, which would be an easy win but for FL's law, requiring a 60% supermajority for all state constitutional amendments.

Let's not also forget that, even in 2006, when the GOP got clobbered. 8 of 9 states easily passsed marriage amendments. Arizona, the lone holdout, didn't pass its one, due to some controversial issues regarding nonmarried heterosexuals. With that language removed and the amendment re-submitted in 2008, the amendment (Amendment 102) breezed through to passage.

Colossus_500

• Getbig IV
  • Psalm 139
« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2010, 10:42:02 AM »
I am with Huck on this one too.  The moratorium or departure from social values once held high in this country are the exact reason for the demise at which we are now.  So, no!!! Absolutely not!

Are we saying money is more important than the individual person and the decisions affecting their well-being?  That's what I'm hearing Roland Martin say.   

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2010, 10:46:14 AM »
I am with Huck on this one too.  The moratorium or departure from social values once held high in this country are the exact reason for the demise at which we are now.  So, no!!! Absolutely not!

Are we saying money is more important than the individual person and the decisions affecting their well-being?  That's what I'm hearing Roland Martin say.   

Social cons need to understand that unless we get our fiscal house in order, many people will be utterly pissed off if he are discussing gay marriage while we still have 10% UE and greater. 

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2010, 10:47:34 AM »

My take is that people (particularly African-Americans, at times) can be economic or moral Esaus, selling their views for the proverbial pot of stew.

However, there are instances where voters seperate the economic from the social policies. A prime example are the aforementioned marriage amendments. Our economy was in better shape in 2004 than it was in 2008; so, social issues like marriage amendments get more spotlight.

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2010, 10:50:23 AM »
Social cons need to understand that unless we get our fiscal house in order, many people will be utterly pissed off if he are discussing gay marriage while we still have 10% UE and greater. 

That's basically what Martin said: "When you broke as hell, you broke as hell".

But, as Obama's crew likes to say, "Never let a crisis go to waste". The left has definitely used this economic crisis to squeeze its social "values" into the mix.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: June 14, 2010, 10:52:06 AM »
I dont like Huck at all TBH.   

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: June 14, 2010, 07:08:01 PM »
Pence rejects Daniels' proposal for truce on social issues
Posted: June 13th, 2010

From CNN Associate Producer Martina Stewart

(CNN) – A leading congressional conservative disagreed Sunday with a suggestion by his state's governor that social issues be put on the back burner in order to allow policymakers to focus on turning the economy around and bringing the federal government’s finances into balance.

Speaking to The Weekly Standard, a conservative publication, Indiana's Republican governor, Mitch Daniels, said the next president "would have to call a truce on the so-called social issues" so he or she could focus on the fiscal problems facing the country.

Asked about the comments, GOP Rep. Mike Pence of Indiana praised Daniels but rejected his contention about social issues as the midterm elections approach and as both parties begin to turn their attention to the 2012 presidential race.

“I think Mitch Daniels is the best governor in the United States of America. He’s done a fantastic job for the people of Indiana,” Pence said on CNN’s State of the Union.

But, Pence quickly added that, in his view, “Barack Obama’s the most pro-abortion president in American history.”

“I believe with all my heart,” Pence told CNN Chief Political Correspondent Candy Crowley, “that Republicans need to continue to fight for the sanctity of life and the sanctity of marriage with everything we’ve got in 2010 and in 2012.”

Pence, a popular conservative who is also chairman of the House Republican Conference, frequently champions the very same social issues which Daniels suggested policymakers downplay in coming years.

The Indiana congressman often describes himself as "a Christian, a conservative, and a Republican – in that order." And last month, before a largely conservative gathering of gun rights activists, Pence made a point of emphasizing the need to press for the primacy of social issues in the nation’s political and cultural fabric.

"We will not restore this nation with public policy alone,” Pence said last month at an annual gathering of the National Rifle Association. “It will require public virtue and that emanates from our most cherished institutions: family and religion.

"To renew this nation, we must renew the institutions that strengthen her character. We must stand for the sanctity of life, the sanctity of marriage and the vital importance of religion in our everyday lives."

http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com/2010/06/13/pence-rejects-daniels-proposal-for-truce-on-social-issues/?fbid=XPBeW4MfwYo#more-108537