Author Topic: UFC 115 rumored to be an epic fail (PPV sales)  (Read 8829 times)

*ChuteBoxe*

• Getbig IV
UFC 115 rumored to be an epic fail (PPV sales)
« on: June 14, 2010, 08:08:47 AM »
These are quotes from the UFC's own Dave Meltzer on Observer Radio:

"Oh, by the way, from everything that I can gather, the UFC closed circuit bombed [Saturday] night."

"I mean just a lot of reports of 20 people, 16 people, 35 people in theaters."

"It wasn’t the show for it."

"You know, I mean the bar stuff I’ve heard you know people say that there was 1/5th as many people as [UFC 114] and… again, I mean, you know you can’t come, it’s two weeks, it’s real quick to come back and I mean for any show and this was I mean you know they ended up having a good show but it was just too quick and you know in between two monster main events, ... they booked a match that people really didn’t want to see. ...Most people really don’t want to see Rich Franklin get knocked out and everyone loves Chuck."

The crazy thing is the fights were actually decent, I guess the snoozefest that was 114 left a bad taste in alot of peoples mouths and they opted not to watch.  I saw this one coming.
Predictions
 40/61

WeightPSHR

• Getbig IV
  • _____________
Re: UFC 115 rumored to be an epic fail (PPV sales)
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2010, 08:36:21 AM »
These are quotes from the UFC's own Dave Meltzer on Observer Radio:

"Oh, by the way, from everything that I can gather, the UFC closed circuit bombed [Saturday] night."

"I mean just a lot of reports of 20 people, 16 people, 35 people in theaters."

"It wasn’t the show for it."

"You know, I mean the bar stuff I’ve heard you know people say that there was 1/5th as many people as [UFC 114] and… again, I mean, you know you can’t come, it’s two weeks, it’s real quick to come back and I mean for any show and this was I mean you know they ended up having a good show but it was just too quick and you know in between two monster main events, ... they booked a match that people really didn’t want to see. ...Most people really don’t want to see Rich Franklin get knocked out and everyone loves Chuck."

The crazy thing is the fights were actually decent, I guess the snoozefest that was 114 left a bad taste in alot of peoples mouths and they opted not to watch.  I saw this one coming.

You need to have a MOD change the title of this thread. These comment have NOTHING to do with PPV sales. Hopefully you know the difference between PPV sales and CCTV. He was commenting on Movies and Bars. (CCTV)

Besides, is this not  the same Dave Meltzer that you all were discrediting last week, saying he is pulling shit out of his ass, he is a UFC guy, etc?

http://www.getbig.com/boards/index.php?topic=332421.msg4755079#msg4755079

Dave Meltzer writes for Yahoo sports, who happens to be a UFC partner, that guy is almost as big a UFC guy as you are, except he actually gets paid to hug nuts, you just do it for free.  UFC's PPV numbers are always "estimates", that are notrious for being "rounded up".  Shit, if anything, even if those numbers are remotely close to being accurate it works against them, It just means there is probably a shitload of dissapointed people who want their money back for a shitty overpriced card (let's see how many buyers will be scared off by UFC 114:Snoozefest)

Now that he mentions something about the UFC in a potentially negative light, he is all of the sudden credible?

AC Slater

• Getbig IV
  • The king of Bayside
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2010, 09:58:26 AM »
keep defending ufc weight, lol

its clear since ufc114 sucked ass, that not as many people were interested in another snoozefest.

if you hype up a product as much as you did ufc114 and then fail to deliver, it is going to hurt future sales.
I dont like twinks.

big L dawg

• Getbig V
  • i always tell the truth even when i lie...
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2010, 10:21:59 AM »
I enjoyed the card...but...as I already said having rich vs chuck as the main event is/was a joke...that being said...I enjoyed the card....
DAWG

coltrane

• Getbig IV
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2010, 10:46:02 AM »
Card was basically a bunch of weak fights... BUT I did get the PPV and really liked the fights.  Best fight imo was the Carlos Condit fight.  Man, Condit was getting crushed, then outta no where dnp's his opponent for a ref stoppage.  Great fight.

Across the boards, UFC 115 was pretty kick ass I though.

WeightPSHR

• Getbig IV
  • _____________
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2010, 11:04:10 AM »
keep defending ufc weight, lol

its clear since ufc114 sucked ass, that not as many people were interested in another snoozefest.

if you hype up a product as much as you did ufc114 and then fail to deliver, it is going to hurt future sales.

Prove to me that not as many people ordered UFC 115?

Chumpboxe posted CCTV numbers, NOT PPV numbers. These CCTV were ESTIMATED by Meltzer. The same guy you all said was not a credible source when he posted PPV numbers for UFC 114.

Little confused here aren't you?

You can hate the bash the UFC all you want, their success tells the story.
Very obvious they are doing quite well.

MindSpin

• Getbig V
  • MMA > Boxing
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2010, 11:35:36 AM »
The card was freaking awesome.  Every fight delivered.  And I got to see Chuck get brutally KOd just as I hoped.
w

WeightPSHR

• Getbig IV
  • _____________
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2010, 11:47:10 AM »
I thought UFC 114 and UFC 115 were good cards, as do many people on other boards.

UFC 115 was a better than expected card IMO.

Liddell and Franklin went after it. They didn't come out timid.

Even though Rothwell and Yvel were gassed they put on a decent showing.

Condit, Kampmann, and even the Crocop fight was exciting, although weird.

Really, what more do you want in a card.

coltrane

• Getbig IV
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2010, 11:59:02 AM »
Really impressed with 20 year old Rory Macdonald.  Kid is great and so young!   I thought the ref stoppage with 8 secs left was a tad bs, but oh well...

RancherRanger

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2010, 01:27:22 PM »
I thought the fight card looked crappy.  I won tickets to watch it about 30 minutes from my place.  I didn't even go watch it when it was free.

WeightPSHR

• Getbig IV
  • _____________
« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2010, 01:35:00 PM »
I thought the fight card looked crappy.  I won tickets to watch it about 30 minutes from my place.  I didn't even go watch it when it was free.

Look's like you lost out then didn't you?

MindSpin

• Getbig V
  • MMA > Boxing
« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2010, 01:50:17 PM »

You had free tickets to one of the better cards of the year and you missed out.  That sucks for you.
w

MindSpin

• Getbig V
  • MMA > Boxing
« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2010, 01:51:43 PM »
Really impressed with 20 year old Rory Macdonald.  Kid is great and so young!   I thought the ref stoppage with 8 secs left was a tad bs, but oh well...

That stoppage was BS.  If he was going to stop it, he should have done it 1-2 minutes earlier, not with 7 seconds left in the fight ::)  Had it gone to decision, I think Rory would have won.  BTW, what a great kid.  Totally humble/respectful.  Looking forward to seeing him mature and become a threat.
w

AC Slater

• Getbig IV
  • The king of Bayside
« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2010, 02:28:12 PM »
You had free tickets to one of the better cards of the year and you missed out.  That sucks for you.

hahaha, if that is true then the ufc is fucking pathetic.  only big name fight was liddell and franklin which was not bad ill admit.  glad to see chuck get KTFO again.

there was no other big name fights on the card.  kampmann fight was decent, and that was about it.  as i said in another thread, the card was worth about $15, certainly not $45.
I dont like twinks.

WeightPSHR

• Getbig IV
  • _____________
« Reply #14 on: June 14, 2010, 02:42:03 PM »

hahaha, if that is true then the ufc is fucking pathetic.  only big name fight was liddell and franklin which was not bad ill admit.  glad to see chuck get KTFO again.

there was no other big name fights on the card.  kampmann fight was decent, and that was about it.  as i said in another thread, the card was worth about $15, certainly not $45.

You are forgetting that the big names of even a year or two ago are not big anymore. There are soooo many newer names. You got to appreciate the match-ups. The Condit/Macdonald fight was bad ass. Who would have thought?

Some of the biggest hyped fights end up being horrible.

115 was a great card. If you can truly say otherwise, you really know nothing about MMA.

MindSpin

• Getbig V
  • MMA > Boxing
« Reply #15 on: June 14, 2010, 03:12:10 PM »

WHo said you had to have a "Big Name" in order for the fight card to be good ???  The fights in the card were awesome.  Lots of back and forth.  Lots of finishes.  Lots of action.  Sometimes, the "big name" cards are the most boring.
w

*ChuteBoxe*

• Getbig IV
« Reply #16 on: June 14, 2010, 09:19:39 PM »
Poor ticket sales have led the UFC to move the August 1 event originally scheduled to take place in Salt Lake City, UT to be relocated to San Diego, as announced by the promotion on Monday.

The event dubbed UFC on Versus 2 was the first ever event for the organization in Salt Lake City, but now plans have changed and San Diego will get the event instead.

The move to San Diego was originally reported by Heavy.com earlier on Monday.

“Our television ratings in Salt Lake City have always been strong, and when we finally found the opportunity to bring a UFC event there with a great card, I was very surprised and disappointed in ticket sales. As a result, for the first time in UFC history, I decided to pull the plug and move this August 1st event to the San Diego Sports Arena,” said UFC President Dana White.

Tickets for the event now in San Diego will go on sale June 19 at 10 a.m., while fans that purchased tickets for the show in Salt Lake City will be issued a full refund.

Speculation about the troubled ticket sales in Utah could stem from holding the event on a Sunday night. With a devout religious community in Utah, a Sunday night event may not have drawn the strongest numbers possible for the show.

Numbers in the Utah area for mixed martial arts have been strong in the past, including a show recently headlined by former UFC welterweight Josh Burkman that drew around 8,000 local fans for a Friday night show in April.

San Diego is also a strong MMA market with several fighters living and training in that area as well.

The card in August will be headlined by light heavyweights Jon "Bones" Jones against Vladimir Matyushenko, and will also broadcast live on the Versus network
Predictions
 40/61

WeightPSHR

• Getbig IV
  • _____________
« Reply #17 on: June 15, 2010, 06:55:01 AM »
Poor ticket sales have led the UFC to move the August 1 event originally scheduled to take place in Salt Lake City, UT to be relocated to San Diego, as announced by the promotion on Monday.

The event dubbed UFC on Versus 2 was the first ever event for the organization in Salt Lake City, but now plans have changed and San Diego will get the event instead.

The move to San Diego was originally reported by Heavy.com earlier on Monday.

“Our television ratings in Salt Lake City have always been strong, and when we finally found the opportunity to bring a UFC event there with a great card, I was very surprised and disappointed in ticket sales. As a result, for the first time in UFC history, I decided to pull the plug and move this August 1st event to the San Diego Sports Arena,” said UFC President Dana White.

Tickets for the event now in San Diego will go on sale June 19 at 10 a.m., while fans that purchased tickets for the show in Salt Lake City will be issued a full refund.

Speculation about the troubled ticket sales in Utah could stem from holding the event on a Sunday night. With a devout religious community in Utah, a Sunday night event may not have drawn the strongest numbers possible for the show.

Numbers in the Utah area for mixed martial arts have been strong in the past, including a show recently headlined by former UFC welterweight Josh Burkman that drew around 8,000 local fans for a Friday night show in April.

San Diego is also a strong MMA market with several fighters living and training in that area as well.

The card in August will be headlined by light heavyweights Jon "Bones" Jones against Vladimir Matyushenko, and will also broadcast live on the Versus network

You try real hard don't you.

Let's see here...this report is a PC way of saying we the UFC Fuked up and were holding an event on a Sunday night in Mormontown USA.
You really don't have to look too far to figure something like this out.

Are you implying that the UFC is struggling to sell tickets?

Fury

• Getbig V
  • All aboard the USS Leverage
« Reply #18 on: June 15, 2010, 08:11:31 AM »
Is this surprising? Who the fuck wants to watch a card where two guys years past their primes headline it? Talk about reaching.

And is it surprising that the only one defending this is the gimmick of a certain fanboy?

WeightPSHR

• Getbig IV
  • _____________
« Reply #19 on: June 15, 2010, 08:25:05 AM »
Is this surprising? Who the fuck wants to watch a card where two guys years past their primes headline it? Talk about reaching.

And is it surprising that the only one defending this is the gimmick of a certain fanboy?

You have no idea whatsoever of what you are talking about.

There is no proof or even speculation that this card tanked.

Chumboxe was sooo eager to find something showing the UFC is on decline that he failed to mention that this speculation from Meltzer was CCTV numbers, not PPV. HUGE difference.

Are you saying the UFC is hurting?

coltrane

• Getbig IV
« Reply #20 on: June 15, 2010, 08:53:59 AM »

A real MMA fan would. 

I GUARANTEE when the ppv comes out on Spike, you'll be tuning in.... if you haven't already downloaded the fight from the net.

FREAKgeek

• Getbig V
  • Fan of the Golden Era
« Reply #21 on: June 15, 2010, 09:13:58 AM »
Ken Shamrock was providing free links to the fights on his facebook page. Thought that was kinda funny.

WeightPSHR

• Getbig IV
  • _____________
« Reply #22 on: June 15, 2010, 09:19:29 AM »
A real MMA fan would. 

I GUARANTEE when the ppv comes out on Spike, you'll be tuning in.... if you haven't already downloaded the fight from the net.

If you love the sport of MMA, why would you be complaining about there being too many cards.  The UFC has been putting on great fights. These clowns just don't recognize the "no-namers" so they think they suck.  Not having the money to buy the cards also plays a role in their hate I am sure.

monopoly19

• Getbig II
  • 675 locked out...
« Reply #23 on: June 15, 2010, 11:49:54 AM »
Too many cards IMO. Seems like at least one every 4-5 weeks. That's not enough time to build up good fights or have good fighters in every card.

coltrane

• Getbig IV
« Reply #24 on: June 15, 2010, 01:00:11 PM »
If you love the sport of MMA, why would you be complaining about there being too many cards.  The UFC has been putting on great fights. These clowns just don't recognize the "no-namers" so they think they suck.  Not having the money to buy the cards also plays a role in their hate I am sure.

Bingo.