Author Topic: WTF? Nationwide alert issued for 17 Afghan military men AWOL from Texas Air Base  (Read 1874 times)

Fury

• Getbig V
  • All aboard the USS Leverage
A nationwide alert has been issued for 17 members of the Afghan military who have gone AWOL from a Texas Air Force base where foreign military officers who are training to become pilots are taught English, FoxNews.com has learned.

The Afghan officers and enlisted men have security badges that give them access to secure U.S. defense installations, according to the lookout bulletin, "Afghan Military Deserters in CONUS [Continental U.S.]," issued by Naval Criminal Investigative Service in Dallas, and obtained by FoxNews.com.

The Afghans were attending the Defense Language Institute at Lackland Air Force Base in Texas. The DLI program teaches English to military pilot candidates and other air force prospects from foreign countries allied with the U.S.

"I can confirm that 17 have gone missing from the Defense Language Institute," said Gary Emery, Chief of Public Affairs, 37th Training Wing, at Lackland AFB. "They disappeared over the course of the last two years, and none in the last three months."

Each Afghan was issued a Department of Defense Common Access Card, an identification card used to gain access to secure military installations, with which they "could attempt to enter DOD installations," according to the bulletin. Base security officers were encouraged to disseminate the bulletin to their personnel....

A senior Defense Department official in Washington told Fox News he had no direct knowledge of the 17 men being AWOL. The official added that this is not the first time foreign trainees have gone missing, and suggested it was more an immigration violation than a national security threat.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2010/06/17/afghan-military-deserters-missing-air-force-base/

Now they can't even keep track of Afghan military personnel that they bring into this country?

Bindare_Dundat

• Getbig V
  • KILL CENTRAL BANKS, BUY BITCOIN.
Unbelievable. Could this be the start of something?

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Doesnt lie about lifting.

Beck talking about this on the radio now and blowing up. 

George Whorewell

• Getbig V
  • TND
It's Bush's fault.

You can't blame Obama for these kinds of incidents. He's only been president for 18 months. Obama shouldn't be held responsible for anything that happens until he has been re-elected to a second term, and then, only if there is Democratic majority in Congress.

Your forget that it was American foreign policy which led to 9/11. If Bush had simply apologized to Al Queda and the Taliban for American wrongdoing over the years, there would have been no need to invade Afghanistan. If there had been no invasion, then this AWOL situation would not exist either.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
It's Bush's fault.

You can't blame Obama for these kinds of incidents. He's only been president for 18 months. Obama shouldn't be held responsible for anything that happens until he has been re-elected to a second term, and then, only if there is Democratic majority in Congress.

Your forget that it was American foreign policy which led to 9/11. If Bush had simply apologized to Al Queda and the Taliban for American wrongdoing over the years, there would have been no need to invade Afghanistan. If there had been no invasion, then this AWOL situation would not exist either.

Bush in office for 9 months when 9/11 happens = Bushs' fault. 

Obama in office 18 months when anything happens = Bush's Fault

Obama in office for 48 months when anything happens = Bush's Fault 

SAMSON123

• Getbig V

Let us hope so....
C

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
Let us hope so....

Why?  Do you want to see a school shot up and a few dozen kids killed and beheaded? 

Fury

• Getbig V
  • All aboard the USS Leverage
Why?  Do you want to see a school shot up and a few dozen kids killed and beheaded? 

She's a Muslim jihadist, so yes, she would love to see that.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
She's a Muslim jihadist, so yes, she would love to see that.

Disgusting.  Absolutely disgusting. 

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
EXCLUSIVE: AWOL Afghans Found ... on Facebook
By Jana Winter & Kelli Morgan
Published June 25, 2010 | FOXNews.com

NCIS and ICE, partners in the North Texas Joint Terrorism Task Force.
At least 11 of the 17 members of the Afghan military who went AWOL from an Air Force base in Texas and are considered deserters by their nation have turned up in the exact place you'd expect to find them in the year 2010.

They're on Facebook.

And, by the look of things, they're not unlike millions of other young men on the social networking site. One proclaims to be a fan of Paris Hilton and is a member of a group named “FREE Webcam Sex with ME!” Another is a fan of hip hop music, Michael Jackson, the tearjerker movie The Notebook, Family Guy and Sports Center. Another is a fan of soccer and the Godfather.

But others have friends whose motives may be much more sinister. Some belong to the “Afghanistan Mujahideen” group, a page that features, among other content, videos from the American-born Al Qaeda spokesman Adam Gadahn, a.k.a. Azzam the American.

According to a nationwide be-on-the-lookout (BOLO) bulletin that was sent by the North Texas Joint Terrorism Task force to law enforcement agencies across the country last week, the 17 Afghan deserters walked away from the Defense Language Institute at Lackland Air Force Base, where they had been studying English. The men have military identification that would give them access to secure U.S. military installations, the bulletin read. The existence of the BOLO alert was revealed exclusively by FoxNews.com.

One week later, an Immigration and Customs Enforcement source told FoxNews.com that only two or three of the 17 Afghans remain at large. The source said investigators have been working with Canadian immigration records and now believe that many of the men are in Canada.

David Smith, spokesman for Randolph Air Force Base in Texas, told FoxNews.com he was told that four of the men remain unaccounted for. Of the 13 who have been located, he said, six have pending refugee claims in Canada, two have permanent residency in Canada, four are in the process of being deported and one is a conditional resident alien in the U.S.

But one thing most of them have in common is an affection for social networking. FoxNews.com found Facebook pages belonging to 11 of the 17 deserters. The wife of one of them also created a page, on which she said her husband should not have appeared in the BOLO alert because authorities knew exactly where he was — at a South Texas immigration detention center, where she said he’s been held for the past eight months.

Many of the men found on Facebook appear unconcerned that they are being actively sought by law enforcement officials, having made little or no attempt to disguise their identities or whereabouts. Eleven of the men can be linked together either directly or through mutual friends on Facebook.

On June 17 at 11:50 p.m., Mohd Ali Karimi posted an online note to the Facebook pages of two of the other AWOL men, Mohammad Nasim Fateh Zada and Sardar Mohd Ahmadi.

All three list their current city as Toronto.

Zada’s profile lists his favorite quotation, Reinhold Nieburh's Serenity Prayer: “God grand me the serenity to accept the things I can not change, courage to change the things I can and wisdom to know the difference.”

He says he graduated from Uluanovsk Signal Military College in 1986 and attended Military High School in Kabul, Afghanistan.

His “likes and interests” include soccer, jogging, gymnastics, history books, the movies Slumdog Millionaire and the Godfather, Fox News and CBC Radio 1.

On May 2, he posted a photo of himself at Niagara Falls, timestamped June 21, 2008.

Zada’s online friends include a U.S. Army liaison officer and other members of the Afghan military.

On Sunday, Ahmadi, 32, who belongs to a Facebook group for Defense Language Institute students, posted a link to a Fox News report, “Afghan Deserters Still Missing,” with a photo compilation in which he was included.

In the “likes and interests” section of his profile, Ahmadi includes a Dari and Arabic language group called "Afghan Muslim," which links out to a group called "National Resistance," a Pashto-language page that appears to provide secondhand news updates on militant operations in Afghanistan. 

Ahmadi replied to a Facebook message from this reporter, “hi, Jana I dont know you, who you are? any way I am not missing that is my face book if every body concern about me I have my address they can come to visit me .”

He then posted this reporter’s Facebook page to his wall and sent a friend request.

When asked if he was a student at DLI, Ahmadi wrote back, "yes, I was in 2008 till 2009 that is it."

When asked why he was included in the list of missing men who walked away from Lackland Air Force Base, he replied, "I dont know just I heard news from fox news ttat is it."

Ahmadi posted a photo album of his DLI graduation ceremony. The photos were uploaded in February 2009. 

He is also Facebook friends with Barsat Noorani, whose profile says he attended U.S. Army War College and Naderia High School. He says he’s single and looking for women for friendship, dating and a relationship.

Noorani lists his current location as “New Toronto,” and on different Facebook pages he lists different employers, including Total Safety, a global corporation currently involved in cleaning up the BP oil spill in the Gulf of Mexico. His likes and interests include Hamid Karzai and “i want a good relationship in 2010 <3.”

There are photos, posted in November and December 2009, of Noorani posing in front of Toronto’s Harbour Centre, and numerous group photos of men in Afghan military uniform eating and standing with members of the U.S. military.  He also posted a link to a YouTube video called “Persian Love Song,” which features a man and woman kissing with music playing in the background.

Like many of the deserters named in the BOLO, Noorani belongs to an Arabic-language group called “Muslimen,” which provides links to outside websites, news reports, videos of preachers and videos of debates between Muslim and non-Muslim scholars, among other things.

Another AWOL Afghan on Facebook is Shawali Kakar, who introduces himself as, “hello my name is shahwali(kakar) and iam a playa cuz iam SMOOTH with the girls i am a very nice guy iam also a very cool,awsome guy, im a very though guy, did i also mean that iam a comando traning to be a pilot i am traning at the air force milliter”

He is fan of both Afghan Parliament member Shukria Barakzai -- and Paris Hilton. And he is a member of the group, “FREE Webcam Sex with ME!” (Calls cost £0.60 per minute.) His profile indicates that he graduated from Universitas Indonesia in 2001; it does not provide his current location.

Kakar appears to be a party animal, inviting friends to “come go to club again.” On March 22 he posted photos taken the day before that show him eating at a table on which one can see doughnuts, croissants, Bailey’s liquor and what appears to be a 1.75-liter bottle of alcohol.  In another picture, he appears to be lying on a hotel bed. A former English teacher at DLI in Texas commented, “Kakar, do you miss your DLI room?”

His last Facebook activity appears to have been on April 2.

Some of Kakar’s friends belong to the “Afghanistan Mujahideen” group, a page that features videos from Adam Gadahn. The group is tagged in notes on a range of topics, including "jihad in the way of Allah" and "preaching the revolution of Islam."

Kakar is friends with another AWOL man named in the BOLO alert, Sayed Qadir Shah Habiby, who provides this description of himself: “I like to spend time with the people I love! I enjoy having fun in what ever I do. Life is short, live it to the fullest."

He is a fan of Michael Jackson, The Notebook and Sports Center, and he says, “I want everyone to be a Democratic.”  He says he graduated from National Military Academy of Afghanistan in 2008 and Kabul Military High in 2005.

In a comment posted on a friend’s wall, Habiby reveals that he studied civil engineering at NMAA and is living in California. Last active on March 29, he belonged to a Facebook group dedicated to making Pashto Afghanistan’s only official language. The description reads, in English, “To destroy a nation, Turn it into a bilingual or multilingual country. History shows that no nation can survive the tension, conflict, and antagonism of two or more competing languages and cultures.”

It continues in Pashto,“75 percent of Afghanistan’s people speak Pashto, so this is the right of all Afghans that the national language be Pashto. In the near future, a grand jirga will be held in Kabul, so I request all patriotic Afghans to fulfill their responsibility and national duty in order to get their rights, and to put an end to Iran and its proxies.”

Another group Habiby belongs to is “Let us laugh,” a Pashto site described as “Let’s laugh so much that we forget our sorrows, but let’s not laugh too much because it’s harmful.”

The wife of Mohammad Fahim Faqier, one of the missing men, started a Facebook group page called “Set Fahim Free,” following his incarceration at an immigration detention center in South Texas. But she changed the page to “Setting the record straight for my husband: Mohammad Fahim Faqier,” once news broke that her husband, who she says has been detained for more than eight months, was included in the BOLO alert.

In an e-mail to FoxNews.com she wrote, “Believe me no one was more shocked than me to see my husband's name and photo on that list, especially considering the fact that he wasn't missing and ICE knew exactly where he was.”

None of the AWOL men, other than Ahmadi, replied to Facebook messages. A man named Ahmad Sameer Samar, when contacted by Fox News, replied that he was not the same Ahmad Sameer Samar named in the BOLO alert.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2010/06/25/exclusive-awol-afghans-found-on-facebook/

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
" His likes and interests include Hamid Karzai and “i want a good relationship in 2010 <3.” "

HAHAHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA AAAAAAAAA

SAMSON123

• Getbig V

Not a few dozen....I want to see many thousands... and heads rolling like apples falling from trees.
C

powerpack

• Getbig IV
  • Time to get Buck wild!
Not a few dozen....I want to see many thousands... and heads rolling like apples falling from trees.
Did you have an orgasm while typing that?

24KT

• Getbig V
  • Gold Savings Account Rep +1 (310) 409-2244

Sometimes you're funny & witty.
Other times, you're just disgusting.  :'(
w

SAMSON123

• Getbig V
Sometimes you're funny & witty.
Other times, you're just disgusting.  :'(

Which am I in this case?

My response was more sarcastic to the dumb response of 3 that these supposed missing men are somehow shooting up schools and beheading children. Americans are killing one another far faster than any terrorist ever could...
C

24KT

• Getbig V
  • Gold Savings Account Rep +1 (310) 409-2244
Which am I in this case?

My response was more sarcastic to the dumb response of 3 that these supposed missing men are somehow shooting up schools and beheading children. Americans are killing one another far faster than any terrorist ever could...

I found your comment to 333 extremely disgusting.
There are times when it is obvious that someone is simply being sarcastic or facetious.
In your case, ...it's sometimes hard to tell. I just found the image you conjured up in my mind extremely distasteful.  :-\
w

gcb

• Getbig IV
  • you suffer, why?
Can't really blame them - who would want to go back to that shithole Afghanistan. They saw their opportunity and skedaddled.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
 :o

EXCLUSIVE: Number of Afghans Gone AWOL in U.S. Reaches 46
By Jana Winter
Published July 07, 2010
FoxNews.com

LACKLAND AIR FORCE BASE, Texas -- A be-on-the-lookout alert issued last month for 17 Afghan military men who walked away from an Air Force base in Texas has turned out to be just the tip of the iceberg. No fewer than 46 members of the Afghan military have gone absent without leave from the Defense Language Institute’s English Language Center at Lackland Air Force Base in recent years, FoxNews.com has learned.

From a series of interviews with civilians and military personnel conducted over the course of a week, and according to documents obtained from a variety of sources, FoxNews.com has learned that five of these Afghan deserters remain at large; eight are in custody; at least 18 are in Canada and one has been granted conditional U.S. residency.  The most recent to disappear fled the Texas base just last Thursday, hours after his graduation ceremony.

Some of the men disappeared before completing the Defense Language Institute (DLI) program. Others graduated from DLI but vanished before their scheduled flights back to Afghanistan. Many never showed up at the U.S. military base where they were scheduled to attend specialized formal training. A smaller percentage of the group went AWOL while attending the formal training programs.

Military and law enforcement officials say it’s not uncommon for foreign military personnel who come to the U.S. for training to get lured in by hopes of a better life. But the number of AWOL Afghans has become a growing problem.

Last year alone, 21 Afghan military students disappeared from DLI — a much higher rate than students from other countries who attend the school. Two of the men went AWOL weeks after graduating from the program; the others vanished before completing it.

"In 2009, the Defense Language Institute English Language Center reported two other students from countries other than Afghanistan went missing," Gary Emery, spokesman for Lackland AFB, told FoxNews.com. "They include one Iraqi who requested asylum in Houston and one Djiboutian whose status is unknown.”

On June 17, FoxNews.com revealed exclusively that a nationwide be-on-the-lookout (BOLO) bulletin had been issued for 17 Afghans who had gone AWOL from DLI.  The alert, which was compiled by the Naval Criminal Investigative Service and the North Texas Joint Terrorism Task Force, included photos and dates of birth of the 17 men and was widely distributed to law enforcement agencies across the country.

FoxNews.com quickly found at least 11 of the 17 AWOL Afghans on Facebook.

Since then, FoxNews.com has learned that the problem of Afghan military members going AWOL is more pervasive than suggested by the June bulletin, which included outdated and incomplete information. The BOLO alert included men who had been apprehended more than six months before it was issued, and it failed to include the name and photo of the most recent Afghan to vanish from DLI — a pilot who disappeared in March — as well as 28 others who have gone AWOL in recent years.

"Since 2002, 745 students have passed through the U.S. on this training and only 46 have actually gone absent without leave, and in 2009 there was a peak of 21 students," Col. Stewart Cowen, NATO spokesman, Afghanistan, told FoxNews.com.

Citing statistics provided by the Department of Homeland Security, Cowen said 25 of the 46 remain unaccounted for.

At least 18 of those are known to be in Canada. (Multiple sources told FoxNews.com that there is believed to be a strong network of former AWOL Afghans now living in Canada or illegally in the U.S., and students can easily find out how to get to Canada or leave town.)

The number of Afghan DLI students and former students who have gone AWOL, by year:

2005: At least one

2006: At least three

2007: Three

2008: At least six

2009: At least 21

2010: At least two

Last year, at least 17 Afghans went AWOL from DLI — and at least four more disappeared after graduation and before or during their next training assignment or before a scheduled flight back to Afghanistan.  Seven students vanished in December alone.

Click here for detailed information about the Afghans who have gone AWOL.

It was only after seeing a dramatic spike in the number of AWOL Afghans late last year that the U.S. and Afghanistan took action to address the problem.

"As the statistics grew, NATO mission in Afghanistan realized there was issue, a new problem that we needed to address," Cowen said.

In January, officials said, the new NATO training mission restructured its system for sending Afghans to the U.S. for training. As part of the new process, biometric information is now taken for each Afghan. There is a stricter vetting process now, and all applicants are required to sign a statement promising not to go AWOL and to repay the costs if they do. The family of Afghan military men who are accepted into a DLI program must now vouch for their return and promise to pay $40,000 if the soldier goes AWOL while in the U.S.

And in January, a full-time liaison, Lt. Col. Wahab Sultany, was appointed to work with Afghan military members in the U.S., charged with ensuring that the Afghan students at DLI and at programs in two other states completed their training and returned home to help build the Afghan military and assist with the U.S. war efforts.

Sultany was very successful; none of the students who arrived during his watch went AWOL from DLI.

But without notice, Sultany was removed from his post last week, and he returned to Afghanistan on Friday. His replacement isn’t expected to arrive for many months. Since Sultany was removed from his position, one Afghan military member has already vanished.

Defense Department spokesman Mark Wright gave FoxNews.com this statement:

"The Department of Defense treats all such incidents very seriously, and we work closely with appropriate federal agencies to respond to each event. These students came here as part of a broader United States engagement with Afghanistan to develop a sustainable Afghan security force. I would also note that while the incidents of Afghan students going AWOL (absent without leave) are a matter of concern, there are thousands of other international students who successfully attend training each year without incident."

FBI spokeswoman Denise Ballew told FoxNews.com, “We have an interest in locating these individuals and we'll refer other questions to ICE.”

DLI, Lackland Air Force Base, U.S. Air Force, NCIS and DHS’ San Antonio office did not respond to FoxNews.com’s requests for comment before publication. The Department of Homeland Security and the U.S. Embassy in Kabul referred requests for comment to Immigration and Customs Enforcement. ICE initially declined to comment early last week and did not respond to numerous follow-up requests regarding additional information.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2010/07/07/exclusive-number-of-awol-afghans-reaches-46/

Skip8282

• Getbig V
lol.  Obviously we have to round them up, but I can't say I blame them.  Coming from that shithole to here, I'd probably try and stay too.