Author Topic: What if Obama DID NOT charge the oil companies $20 bil?  (Read 783 times)

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
What if Obama DID NOT charge the oil companies $20 bil?
« on: June 18, 2010, 01:13:21 PM »
What if he said "Govt can't get involved"?

What would happen if Obama just told the people of the Gulf Coast to sue BP, but he's not taking their $20 billion.

BP would obviously move the $ (the #1 goal of any company is shareholder value) to other departments - bonuses would still be paid, dividends would be paid.  They would cover some claims - years from now once they moved thru court one at a time.

Would Rush and friends be praising obama?  They're all mad he's commandeering the $20 bil... but I think if he didn't do this, Rush would be accusing him of taking campaign $ from BP, and then letting them off the hook.

We have a president who is making BP accountable for their actions.  And ppl are bitching.  I don't get it.

kcballer

• Getbig V
  • In you I feel so pretty, In you I taste God
Re: What if Obama DID NOT charge the oil companies $20 bil?
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2010, 01:47:08 PM »
because 240 no matter what Obama does good or bad he'll still have the 333's of this world thinking it's all about the nwo or some other CT about communism. 
Abandon every hope...

Fury

• Getbig V
  • All aboard the USS Leverage
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2010, 01:51:37 PM »
What if he said "Govt can't get involved"?

What would happen if Obama just told the people of the Gulf Coast to sue BP, but he's not taking their $20 billion.

BP would obviously move the $ (the #1 goal of any company is shareholder value) to other departments - bonuses would still be paid, dividends would be paid.  They would cover some claims - years from now once they moved thru court one at a time.

Would Rush and friends be praising obama?  They're all mad he's commandeering the $20 bil... but I think if he didn't do this, Rush would be accusing him of taking campaign $ from BP, and then letting them off the hook.

We have a president who is making BP accountable for their actions.  And ppl are bitching.  I don't get it.

You keep implying BP would move assets around and out of the blue declare bankruptcy or some ridiculous shit. It's so far-fetched that it's not even realistic. They are a company that earns $5+ billion a quarter in profit. The govt. would be able to take that money at any point. And what if BP did somehow pull off your bankruptcy CT? They would never do business in this country again, which would cost them exponentially more money than not declaring bankruptcy would.

But it's nice that 60+ days later the only thing Obama has accomplished is getting BP to set aside $20 billion in an escrow account. At this rate, we can expect the clean-up process to begin around 2012.  ::)

The fact that BP shares went up 9.6% after they announced the $20bn account only shows that it was a publicity stunt and nothing more. Nothing close to punishing BP.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Doesnt lie about lifting.
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2010, 01:55:10 PM »
From what I understand the money is being paid out over 4 years, so this is nothing and probably buys them a lot of time. 

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2010, 01:57:07 PM »
From what I understand the money is being paid out over 4 years, so this is nothing and probably buys them a lot of time. 

But Rush feels sorry for them.  He did a whole piece on it yesterday.  He's really pissed Obama put a lockbox on the funds so they'd be there.

it's not that much $, considering how much they make.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2010, 01:57:50 PM »
But Rush feels sorry for them.  He did a whole piece on it yesterday.  He's really pissed Obama put a lockbox on the funds so they'd be there.

Rush doesnt speak for me 240.   

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2010, 01:59:15 PM »
Rush doesnt speak for me 240.   

that's good.  I wondered how many of his listeners would say 'Wait a second, they did screw up the Gulf and cost a LOT of ppl their jobs... $20 bil over 4 years is a gift..."

I always leave Rush on the radio - but yesterday was the 1st time i actually had to turn it off.  Showing pity for BP who got a slap on the wrist?  I dont get it.

Danny

• Getbig V
  • The original Superman
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2010, 02:04:11 PM »

Of course he does, why would he feel sorry for the whole fuckin Gulf Coast,( for now ) people,animals and environment affected by it???? They are not the ones whose lives are being destroyed and put on hold  ::) Rush will ALWAYS be on the other side of WHATEVER Obama does, why? Because that's how you make money ,scream your head off that communists are coming and all that bullshit , keep people scared and they will see you as a fukin God thinking you know what you're talking about.  :-\ So government involvement = government takeover and communism. On the other hand,government NOT getting involved means they are incompetent communist traitors. Pick your poison. :-\
"What we do in life ECHOES in eternity "

BM OUT

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2010, 02:07:46 PM »
No one is upset that BP had to pay 20 billion.We do get mad when we hear "this is just a downpayment".We do get mad when we hear Joe Biden,that fucking half wit,leaned over and said "you really have no choice,if you dont agree we will force it on you".We do get mad that BP has to pay for Obamas retarded choice to ban drilling so thousands are out of work and BP has to pay for his foolish,reckless decision.

We do get upset when we see idiot congresman talking to a grown man like he is a kid simply to get on television.How about that sawed off pig faced runt Waxman?If he spoke to me like thatId jump over the table and smash his jewish nose in.Or that jerk republican who said "it is thursday right"?If he would have asked me that Id have said "yep and the reason I know is because this is the day I usually fuck your skank wife".

We feel bad because Obama wil use this money as another union slush fund.JUST LIKE THE STIMULUS!!!

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2010, 02:08:15 PM »
that's good.  I wondered how many of his listeners would say 'Wait a second, they did screw up the Gulf and cost a LOT of ppl their jobs... $20 bil over 4 years is a gift..."

I always leave Rush on the radio - but yesterday was the 1st time i actually had to turn it off.  Showing pity for BP who got a slap on the wrist?  I dont get it.

240 - why do you think they hired Jamie Gorelick as their counsel?  Obama and BP know the potential liability here is limitless and the $20 Billion probably buys them 4 years to go bankrupt and leave the people holding the bag.  

Dont' be naive here.  Obama and BP = partnership.  

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2010, 02:09:55 PM »
No one is upset that BP had to pay 20 billion.

Rush was very upset.  I was wondering how many people agreed with him.  I thought it was a very odd position for him to take.  Sure, some of his listeners might hold BP stock.  But many of them are everyday Joes and janes.  I can't imagine many of them feel pity for BP in light of this mess they caused.

BM OUT

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2010, 02:12:21 PM »
Rush was very upset.  I was wondering how many people agreed with him.  I thought it was a very odd position for him to take.  Sure, some of his listeners might hold BP stock.  But many of them are everyday Joes and janes.  I can't imagine many of them feel pity for BP in light of this mess they caused.

Again,Rush is upset because he KNOWS that Obama will end up giving this money to unions and it will be a liberal slush fund!You wait and see,the people will get screwed,unions will make out.

Fury

• Getbig V
  • All aboard the USS Leverage
« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2010, 02:32:44 PM »
Of course he does, why would he feel sorry for the whole fuckin Gulf Coast,( for now ) people,animals and environment affected by it???? They are not the ones whose lives are being destroyed and put on hold  ::) Rush will ALWAYS be on the other side of WHATEVER Obama does, why? Because that's how you make money ,scream your head off that communists are coming and all that bullshit , keep people scared and they will see you as a fukin God thinking you know what you're talking about.  :-\ So government involvement = government takeover and communism. On the other hand,government NOT getting involved means they are incompetent communist traitors. Pick your poison. :-\

Does Obama feel sorry for all those people, the animals and the environment? The fact that his leadership has been non-existent for the last 60 days while he throws parties and takes vacations tells me no.  :)

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2010, 02:37:05 PM »
Does Obama feel sorry for all those people, the animals and the environment? The fact that his leadership has been non-existent for the last 60 days while he throws parties and takes vacations tells me no.  :)

BF - how about running to Columbus OH today for 10 minutes at a cost of $1,000,000 to the taxpayers to shill fot eh Stim Bill? 

Danny

• Getbig V
  • The original Superman
« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2010, 04:59:51 PM »
Does Obama feel sorry for all those people, the animals and the environment? The fact that his leadership has been non-existent for the last 60 days while he throws parties and takes vacations tells me no.  :)

You really are working hard to become the resident moron of this board I see. While Obama may have reacted poorly to this spill, I'll give you that( there is always room for interpretation there but let's go with your assessment for now) Obama does not own the well. BP does.  :-\ It doesn't really matter how you spin it or how hard you're trying to blame somebody else, it is BP who's to blame for this catastrophe occurring in the first place.

GigantorX

• Getbig V
  • GetBig's A-Team is the Light of Truth!
« Reply #15 on: June 18, 2010, 05:04:57 PM »
You really are working hard to become the resident moron of this board I see. While Obama may have reacted poorly to this spill, I'll give you that( there is always room for interpretation there but let's go with your assessment for now) Obama does not own the well. BP does.  :-\ It doesn't really matter how you spin it or how hard you're trying to blame somebody else, it is BP who's to blame for this catastrophe occurring in the first place.

True. But a chain of legislative events, declarations and shoddy oversight on the governmental level laid a pretty shaky foundation. Add those things in with the FACT that BP had over 760 safety violations on the book compared to ExxonMobils 2 and you have one shit fuck of a recipe for a giant catastrophe.

The parallels to the financial meltdown are interesting. Both are catastrophic events with one fucking an entire global economy and one fucking an entire regional ecology.

Danny

• Getbig V
  • The original Superman
« Reply #16 on: June 18, 2010, 05:11:58 PM »
True. But a chain of legislative events, declarations and shoddy oversight on the governmental level laid a pretty shaky foundation. Add those things in with the FACT that BP had over 760 safety violations on the book compared to ExxonMobils 2 and you have one shit fuck of a recipe for a giant catastrophe.

The parallels to the financial meltdown are interesting. Both are catastrophic events with one fucking an entire global economy and one fucking an entire regional ecology.

Absolutely correct. I am still amazed how the fuck they got away with so many violations.Nobody is contesting that right there you have a lot of incompetence and/or corruption.

GigantorX

• Getbig V
  • GetBig's A-Team is the Light of Truth!
« Reply #17 on: June 18, 2010, 05:43:26 PM »
Absolutely correct. I am still amazed how the fuck they got away with so many violations.Nobody is contesting that right there you have a lot of incompetence and/or corruption.

ExxonMobil, Conaco etc etc all of really clean safety records. This wasn't BP's first fuck-up either, there were refinery blasts, pipeline problems and the fact that they received the biggest fines in history for violating laws. Corporations, like people, will get away with what they can get away with. BP played its cards according that rule and screwed the pooch. But where were the regulators? Oversight? Why in gods fuck were they even drilling there? Why don't we have a logical, cohesive, multi-time tiered energy policy?

But like the financial crisis you have to look at our political sys., lobbying, money, incompetence and legislation. Those are the things that set the stage.

Although you could argue "chick or the egg" and I wouldn't balk at it.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #18 on: June 18, 2010, 08:41:14 PM »
ExxonMobil, Conaco etc etc all of really clean safety records. This wasn't BP's first fuck-up either, there were refinery blasts, pipeline problems and the fact that they received the biggest fines in history for violating laws. Corporations, like people, will get away with what they can get away with. BP played its cards according that rule and screwed the pooch. But where were the regulators? Oversight? Why in gods fuck were they even drilling there? Why don't we have a logical, cohesive, multi-time tiered energy policy?

But like the financial crisis you have to look at our political sys., lobbying, money, incompetence and legislation. Those are the things that set the stage.

Although you could argue "chick or the egg" and I wouldn't balk at it.

Exactly the same situation as Madoff and the SEC.  The parallels are nearly identicle.