Author Topic: Just Training Stories (Only)  (Read 12338 times)

onlyme

• Getbig V
  • Don't Fuck With Bears
Just Training Stories (Only)
« on: July 07, 2005, 10:59:55 PM »
Okay I will try to start this one.  This thread will be for TRAINING STORIES ONLY.  Stories from inside the gym.

The city I grew up as a kid was Hawthorne, CA. Later moved to Manhattan Beach where I lived till I was 30 then moved to Hawaii.

In Hawthorne there was a man named Doc Duran.  he was collegiate star in the shot.  He was an alternate on the olympic team way back.

Anyway in the early 60's and several neighborhood dads decided to build a gym at Doc's house.  he turned his garage and added somemore space into the classic gym

No way in the world was this place bigger than 1500 sq. ft.  It had a 14' boxing ring and even a shower and toilet.  Very soon it became the place in the area to go get muscles.  Because of Doc's background and the numerous pictures around the gym of himself being all huge and everything, everyone who played a sport at Hawthorne High and Lawndale trained at Doc's Gym.

It cost $20 a month.  with that you could go anytime to train 24 hours.  as long as you turn off all the lights, and made sure the water wasn't running.  There were no locks. Everyone who trained there had there own workout book with their name on the front.  Every night Doc would spend hours going over what you did the day before.  He would then put your next workout in the book.  he was the personal trainer to about 100+ kids.  The firstday he had do certain exercises to get an idea of what exercise to do and how much weight to use.

It amazes me now to think how many people went through that gym that he personally trained and taught.

The euqipment was something else entirely.  Cable machines were the old on the wall type.  He had a push press made with cables and angle iron.  Many other cables machines had old bicycle rims as the pulleys.  All the benches he made himself and covered them.

Many of thelarger plates had pieces cut out of them to make them weigh the correct weight.  They were made from flywheels and giant gears. Only one Olympic bar to bench with.  the other bench press had a chain connected to it so it wouldn't fall on you.  No A/C.  The dust was amazing.  The members either cleaned it or it didn't get cleaned. 

This was my first experince in a gym.  For a true "getdown" gym this was it.  But it was fun and I learned allot from Doc.  He couldn't remember everyones name so he called everyone Charles. 

reichsfuehrer SS

Re: Just Training Stories (Only)
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2005, 06:50:28 AM »
that place sounds awesome, no places like that around nowadays.

STREETS

• Getbig II
  • Dont Fuck STREETS
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2005, 10:20:28 AM »
 "But it was fun and I learned allot from Doc.  He couldn't remember everyones name so he called everyone Charles. "

LMFAO!  ;D
ya do whatcha gotta do then ya walk SimpleSkematic

Bossa

• Getbig IV
  • Is that Bossa it must be, I heard he husky
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2005, 12:30:45 PM »
For my first "gym" we had part of the basement that wasn't finished so me and my dad a sort of power rack out of 2x4's and these really long bolts and attached them to the cieling beams.  It was pretty much the most primitive thing I have seen.  To top it off the weights I was using were his OLD weider barbells from the way back when...those green ones LOL.  My bench was something we rescued on garbage day from someone a few streets over.  Another great "garbage day find" was one of those chest expanders u see arnold posing with in pumping iron....my mom was happy when that thing came down  ;D

man from oz

« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2005, 08:31:23 PM »
i'll never forget the first time i read about drop set's
i had only been lifting a couple of weeks
went to the gym to train chest[of course]
started my routine and then dropping the weight
ended up with a barbell stuck on my chest
with very little weight on it
had to call for help
how embarrassing

the faucet

« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2005, 09:46:24 AM »
sounds cool keith!

Mark1

• Getbig III
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2005, 06:11:47 PM »
Posted by: man from oz  Posted on: July 16, 2005, 08:31:23 PM 
Insert Quote 
i'll never forget the first time i read about drop set's
i had only been lifting a couple of weeks
went to the gym to train chest[of course]
started my routine and then dropping the weight
ended up with a barbell stuck on my chest
with very little weight on it
had to call for help
how embarrassing 

Reminds me of my first week of training.
I joined the gym with a mate and the guy that worked there wrote out a program for us. He said just do 1 or 2 sets of each exercise for the first week. We went nuts and did everything. My legs were so sore I had to lay around for a few days as I could barely walk.  ::)

My only real story is I got to train at Golds in Venice last year and in Worlds at venice. Still pissed I had to pay $20 to train at Golds however the guys at Worlds let me train for free..  Training there is something I will never forget. Hopefully I can make it back there one day...

weedoutheweak

• Time Out
  • Getbig IV
  • Kickin' it
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2005, 01:09:40 AM »

Jr. Yates

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2005, 07:16:40 PM »
crazy russians man
bodybuildersreality.com

body88

« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2005, 10:29:57 PM »
I used to work out at worlds gym. There where a few BB there but mostly guys who triained for health. Anyway there where a few guys there who competed. In particular this guy Vinny.... Apparently he was npc affiliated in some way. Typical competor who didnt have what it took but juiced his brains out to try and compensate. He was a light heavy i think.  There was this other guy reminds me alot of dugdale... Name was jeff.bought 215 shredded good looking dude. Good physique. You could always see the tension in this guy vinnies face. Hated this guy. Obv crazy jelous of him. Anyway one day it all came to a head. They had an argument about something and that vinnie guy went off... he tossed a gallon of water at this guy. freaked out and smashed a full wall mirror. Meanwhile this guy Jeff nis keeping his cool and trying to stay calm

needless to say i never expected 3 cops rushing this guy in the middle of the gym on chest day!

ReEvolution

• Getbig III
  • goodbye ronnie
« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2005, 10:53:27 PM »
[quote author=weedoutheweak link=topic=33625.msg573616#msg573616 date=1123747780

He said he had read some article written by a guy out of Russia few days ago, and asked me if I wanted to try his new communist workout.   
I'd stay away from anything called a "communist workout"
two thumbs WAY up!!!

Mark1

• Getbig III
« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2005, 03:48:31 AM »
Body88,

Was that Worlds at Venice?

I only saw 1 big dude when I was there, the rest were just average guys.

619Rules

« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2005, 11:15:12 PM »
When I was younger I used to always fart when I did hack squats-I could not help it, it would just happen from all the force...

Never happens today, but I hated it when that shit happens...

Has anyone blacked out in the middle of a lift? I came close- about 20 year ago. I was doing free bar military presses, standing up. I was in the middle of the rep and all the sudden everything starts going black.... and then  I was spinning...I was in one of those squat racks/holders that had pegs all the way up from the floor-about every 4 inches was a peg. I just tossed the wieght and it caught and I fell on the floor. Was about to go out, but I hung on and came around after about 60 seconds....that was a spooky experience though.......

Man of Steel

• Getbig V
  • Isaiah40:28-31 ✝ Romans10:9 ✝ 1Peter3:15
« Reply #13 on: September 27, 2005, 10:57:02 AM »
About 12 years ago I joined my first "hardcore" gym and I'll never forget one member in particular.  He wasn't a bodybuilder, but had an average (or novice) powerlifter physique.  He stood about 6'4" tall, weighed in the neighborhood of 275 lbs, never combed his hair and always smelled terrible.  He literally left a film of filth on whatever piece of equipment he used.  This guy never spoke to anyone, but he definitely made his presence known during every set of every exercise as this dude yelled and screamed at the top of his lungs during everything.  Ocassionally between sets he'd skulk around the gym and let out a "f**k YOU!!" or "ALRIGHT f**cker!".  He had the worst form I've ever seen and would contort and throw his body around in every direction when performing any and all exercises.  It was the entire weight stack on every machine, the heaviest db's and the heaviest barbells for everything imaginable....keep in mind he did sets of 1-2 reps using 1/16 to 1/2 range of motion for everything (it was 1/2 range at best on rare occassions).  He'd use 150lbs db's for multiple sets of 50 rep 2 inch curls at high speed.....virtually everything was done with a 2-inch range of motion with the worst form and the heaviest weights he could possible use.  My favorite moment was one particular back day in which he loaded a bar for deads (1/16 range reps mind you) with something like 700 lbs...it was absurd.  Although, what was more unreal was that prior to each "set" he would fart continuously for a solid 3-5 minutes.  Not quietly passing gas, but loud, bellowing farts and he would walk in circle grunting, farting and talking to himself attempting to pump up for each bizarre set.   Keep in mind that all of this occurred - everyday - while he wore a unwashed, sweat-stained, head-to-toe pink track suit.

MOS

onlyme

• Getbig V
  • Don't Fuck With Bears
« Reply #14 on: September 27, 2005, 01:29:56 PM »
 ;D  MOS that is some funny shit.  I've been to a few gyms where there were guys who would yell and pysche up before every lift too.  So funny those guys.  I do remember farting at Gold's in Vegas and it was so bad I left and sat away watching people walk by and make faces. It lasted so long.  One guy yelled out "who shit there pants"  it was hilarious.

onlyme

• Getbig V
  • Don't Fuck With Bears
« Reply #15 on: October 10, 2005, 09:04:59 PM »
In regards to my first post here.  I just found out that Doc Duran was a manager at the old Vic Tannys Gym in Hawthorne.  He was at the location on Ventura  for awhile.  Does anyone know Doc.  He was in the Olympics back in the 50' for the discus.  He worked for Vic back in the 50's.  Just wondering cause he played a major role in starting me in lifting

Mark1

• Getbig III
« Reply #16 on: October 13, 2005, 03:44:26 AM »
MOS' post reminds me of a guy in my old gym.

We had a fairly decent sized guy that couldnt handle his protein too well. Basically he'd go over to the corner of the gym where the cables were and fart. Then walk back to where he was training hoping nobody would realise. The problem was the smell would follow him. So by the time he finished his workout the whole gym stunk, actually it was well before he finished probably by the time he's finished warming up..
It wasnt easy training when that bloke was around that is for sure especially if you were near him and a hot chick walks past...  :'(

Man of Steel

• Getbig V
  • Isaiah40:28-31 ✝ Romans10:9 ✝ 1Peter3:15
« Reply #17 on: October 14, 2005, 09:56:47 AM »
MOS' post reminds me of a guy in my old gym.

We had a fairly decent sized guy that couldnt handle his protein too well. Basically he'd go over to the corner of the gym where the cables were and fart. Then walk back to where he was training hoping nobody would realise. The problem was the smell would follow him. So by the time he finished his workout the whole gym stunk, actually it was well before he finished probably by the time he's finished warming up..
It wasnt easy training when that bloke was around that is for sure especially if you were near him and a hot chick walks past...  :'(

;D MOS that is some funny shit. I've been to a few gyms where there were guys who would yell and pysche up before every lift too. So funny those guys. I do remember farting at Gold's in Vegas and it was so bad I left and sat away watching people walk by and make faces. It lasted so long. One guy yelled out "who shit there pants" it was hilarious.

LOL!!!  Sounds like the effects of the old liver tablets some fellas used to down like M&M's!

MOS

onlyme

• Getbig V
  • Don't Fuck With Bears
« Reply #18 on: October 14, 2005, 11:58:15 AM »
Yea I was one of thsoe. 40+ tabs a day

knny187

• Getbig V
« Reply #19 on: October 14, 2005, 12:39:47 PM »
Yea I was one of thsoe. 40+ tabs a day

What's your opinion about them Onlyme?                                                     

onlyme

• Getbig V
  • Don't Fuck With Bears
« Reply #20 on: October 14, 2005, 01:00:47 PM »
Back then I loved them.  There wasn't reallyaining par much to chose from in reagrds to protein powders.  My trtner talked me into taking them so I fugured if everyone else is doing I can to.  I just started taking them a few years ago again when I had my store on Oahu.  The Ultra 40 from Beverly are easily the best on the market.

Prime

• Getbig IV
  • The force is strong in this'un
« Reply #21 on: November 10, 2005, 03:37:08 PM »
The first real gym i joined was a rundown old place that had long since seen it's glory days.  It's walls were plastered with pics of previous champions who had trained there 20-30 years ago.  It had originally been run by a couple but the husband who had literally hundreds of trophies and titles had passed away and only his wife was left.  It was in a basement under a social services building so all the junkies would hang around upstairs waiting for their dole money so they could go score some drugs.

The gym itself was dimly lit and well worn.  The smoke stained ceiling sagged and had in places collapsed.  All the benches and equipment had been home made by the owner and a freind of his who had then died of a drug overdose a few years later.  The plates had reg parks name on them (thats how old the place was!) and the dumbells were a crazy assortment of different shapes and sizes. some solid iron others plates.  There were very few people who trained there anymore.  Perhaps 5 of us were in our early 20's and getting stronger, the rest were burned out old veterans working around their beaten old bodies.
The lady who ran the gym would sit on a stool listening to the radio and chain smoking so the lobby was always filled with smoke.
The gym was freezing in the winter and boiling in the summer.  During the coldest months the bars would get so cold that moisture would condense on them and they would be wet to the touch.
The place was dingy and dirty.
But it had birthed many champions and although the equipment was old and beaten it was still in good condition.  I was never happier then at that gym.  They had the best leg press i have ever used along with alot of other good kit.  When it was announced that it was going to close as it was making no money the members tried to buy it and revamp it to keep it open, but we couldnt afford it.  So it eventually closed.
[img]http://ima

onlyme

• Getbig V
  • Don't Fuck With Bears
« Reply #22 on: November 10, 2005, 09:34:50 PM »
About the first gym I trained at.  The guy had a poster with Arnold on it.  This was back in 1975 or so.  On the poster it gave all his measurements.  Then it gave the measurements of each body part relative to your height if you wanted to be he size.  It was really neat.  I wish I had that poster now. 

(nothing)

• Getbig III
« Reply #23 on: November 11, 2005, 12:29:37 AM »
man you guys have great stories.

the first one might be you had to have been there type thing:
there were these 2 younger indian dudes. they were super cool and knew nothing about lifting weights except from what they saw in the gym and what people told them. so they would be doing funny shit all the time but one day in particular was funny as shit to me and my partner. they were over there with 135 on the bench which had to be about what they weighed. so they are going at it then you here a thud type sound of weight hitting someone in the chest followed by moaning. so me and my buddy look over and the guy benching has the weight on his chest tittering back and forth while he was trying to budge it. his training partner was like "you got it man" "come on push it" and all that spotter type shit. the dude on the bench just yells out "get it off me dumbass". so his partner walks up there and tries to help him out and has to struggle to get it off his chest but they couldn't rack it, so some dude near to them takes one hand throw it up on the rack. me and my buddy were laughing our ass off with some other guys next to us. the guy then gets up from the bench and cussing the other one out in indian and then they leave. we didn't see them for a while but when they came back they trained a little smarter, but every time we saw them after that we couldn't help but chuckle a bit.

this one involves me:
when i first started lifting i didn't know i was a lacto. so i could eat whole food before doing legs because it would upset my stomach so i had a whole milk and cheap protein powder gut bomb. so both squat racks are taken, and no neither of them were being used for squats or deads but any way. so i start off with the leg press. it was like my 3rd or 4th set and then pushing on the 2nd rep i rip one nasty ass fart. i had my head phones on and i could hear it through them. there was a guy right next to me doing preacher curls and 2 in front of me doing seated calf raises so i know they had to hear something, even if they didn't they had to smell it because as soon as i farted i could smell it. so i racked the weight and left nonchalantly and went to the bathroom and farted some more (and yes checked my shorts   ) so I went back to continue and no one said anything. they just went on like nothing happened. maybe they were used to it, maybe they were more mature than me but they said nothing, but just in case i went to wait for the squat rack.
fat till furthe

Lord Humungous

• Getbig V
  • REVOLUTION CALLING!
« Reply #24 on: November 11, 2005, 05:58:42 AM »
Years ago we had that is screw ball at the gym that was known as "FUCK". He was a male stripper and owner of an entertainment business that eventually got busted for letting his female dancers deliver "the goods" . Any way he was built half decent at about 5'11 200, ripped abs and big arms.  He always wore those nylon jogging suits matching tops and bottoms to work out in  ;D. Fuck would always train with some hot ass bitches and do his best to show off to all of them. He got the nick name Fuck because he  would obviously scream it at the top of his lungs while doing a set. The problem was this wasn't your hard core gym its a health club on one half. Eventually the staff asked him to put a cork in it or get the boot. I can remember my training  partner and I trying not to crack up in the middle of a set while Fuck was red faced, screaming for all he was worth. Believe it or not he eventually made it to be in Playgirl.

We also have one of those guys that  apparently has no nasal passages. He is known as momentum man. This fuckin guy must shower about once a week and was never shown the benefits of deodorant. He has these giant scars on his shoulders from rotator surgery's gone by. He tends to stick to machines because he like to limit his range to the same 2 inches that MOS was talking about. This clown would put 3/4 of the stack on the Nautilus bicep machine and dead lift it to the top position which was amazing in and of itself.  He would then let the weight move no more than two inches from the top while twisting and wrenching his body to leverage the weight back up. Leg presses were done with at least 700lbs and the sled was allowed to bounce off the bottom springs with a boom. For the record Momentum man is about 5'10, 175lbs. and stinks like dog shit and BO and his hair looks like a rats nest.
X