Author Topic: Question about genetics.  (Read 3097 times)

SF1900

• Getbig V
  • Team Hairy Chest Henda
Question about genetics.
« on: June 25, 2010, 09:33:13 AM »
We all know that getting big is largely determined by your genetics. Is thickness and vascularity primarily determined by genetics? For example, Dorian was a thick bodybuilder, compared to a lot of others. Was this primarily genetics? Is there a way to increase thickness by certain exercises or food? The same with vascularity? Obviously, if we diet down, we can all be somewhat vascular; however, we probably won't have veins like Hazbin has in his forearms. Some bodybuilders have this thick and dense look to them. Two bodybuilders can have the same size muscle, yet one can look crazy thick and dense, and the other not. How do you get that thick/dense look? Or is it just all genetics?

X

clued-up

• Getbig V
Re: Question about genetics.
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2010, 09:57:23 AM »
It's all genetic...

Palpatine Q

• Getbig V
  • Disdain/repugnance....Version 3: glare variation B
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2010, 09:58:19 AM »
We all know that getting big is largely determined by your genetics. Is thickness and vascularity primarily determined by genetics? For example, Dorian was a thick bodybuilder, compared to a lot of others. Was this primarily genetics? Is there a way to increase thickness by certain exercises or food? The same with vascularity? Obviously, if we diet down, we can all be somewhat vascular; however, we probably won't have veins like Hazbin has in his forearms. Some bodybuilders have this thick and dense look to them. Two bodybuilders can have the same size muscle, yet one can look crazy thick and dense, and the other not. How do you get that thick/dense look? Or is it just all genetics?

Purely....Bodybuilding and weight training itself ALL boils down to genetics

There is not one facet in the discipline, be it response to training, response to drugs...the way your body breaks down food, muscle shape, structure, metabolism....that is not based on your genetics.

They should be called "genetics" contests

El Diablo Blanco

• Getbig V
  • Nom Nom Nom Nom
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2010, 10:03:06 AM »

There is not one facet in the discipline, be it response to training, response to drugs...the way your body breaks down food, muscle shape, structure, metabolism....that is not based on your genetics.

Also work ethic has a lot to do.  Some guys just can't ever seem to diet correctly, guys like Cutler needs to work his ass off compared to a Flex wheeler.

Palpatine Q

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2010, 10:16:14 AM »
Also work ethic has a lot to do.  Some guys just can't ever seem to diet correctly, guys like Cutler needs to work his ass off compared to a Flex wheeler.

True....but even work ethic isn't going to turn Goodrum into a pro.

We all crack on Cutler for being a box....but he's lucky enough to have the genetis to be fucking huge and he responds well to drugs. His work ethic would be meaningless without his genetics.

I know plenty of guys who do everything right...plan their workouts and meals to the "t" and never slip, and they have made marginal gains over the years

Mr Nobody

• Getbig V
  • Falcon gives us new knowledge every single day.
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2010, 10:21:51 AM »
True....but even work ethic isn't going to turn Goodrum into a pro.

We all crack on Cutler for being a box....but he's lucky enough to have the genetis to be fucking huge and he responds well to drugs. His work ethic would be meaningless without his genetics.

I know plenty of guys who do everything right...plan their workouts and meals to the "t" and never slip, and they have made marginal gains over the years
Good post you can take all the drugs in the world if you dont have Genes it's lights out. How many take drugs and how many Mr O's are there?

_bruce_

• Getbig V
  • Sam Sesambröt Sulek
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2010, 10:28:12 AM »
Sad but true.
Only thing that has also a large influence is consistency and increasing weight slowly and steadily.
Though can only bring out what already has always been there.

Mr Nobody

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2010, 10:30:59 AM »
Sad but true.
Only thing that has also a large influence is consistency and increasing weight slowly and steadily.
Though can only bring out what already has always been there.
Great Post.

Palpatine Q

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2010, 10:32:36 AM »

no one

• Getbig V
  • have i hurt your feelings?
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2010, 10:43:43 AM »

thickness is can be built thru exercise.

vascularity is strictly genetic, however some compuonds like eq for example will make one more vascular. usually if you see a guy with great vascularity he's got the genetics for it.
b

noworries

• Getbig V
  • Train Heavy or Go Home
« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2010, 10:53:24 AM »
Genetics?  Explain me!  My birth mom was German/Irish with blue-green eyes, blond hair, 5'3" and weighed 120.  My dad was Filipino with black hair, brown eyes, 5'6" and weighed 160.  Naturally I got to 247 pounds at 6'1" in height.  Just alot of heavy lifting and eating normally with no supplements except liver tablets.  I took test cyp 200mg for 6 months straight and quit cold turkey and never touched a thing since (1986).  I have not been below 290 since spending most of the time at 300 to 315 pounds.  The last ten years at 400+ pounds.  Where did genetics come into play
No Worries 4 me

El Diablo Blanco

• Getbig V
  • Nom Nom Nom Nom
« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2010, 10:55:08 AM »

Mr Nobody

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2010, 11:15:49 AM »
Great Post
Thanks man, are your arms still bigger than Nasser's even with the injury?

Wiggs

• Getbig V
  • Child of Y'srael
« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2010, 11:20:59 AM »
Genetics?  Explain me!  My birth mom was German/Irish with blue-green eyes, blond hair, 5'3" and weighed 120.  My dad was Filipino with black hair, brown eyes, 5'6" and weighed 160.  Naturally I got to 247 pounds at 6'1" in height.  Just alot of heavy lifting and eating normally with no supplements except liver tablets.  I took test cyp 200mg for 6 months straight and quit cold turkey and never touched a thing since (1986).  I have not been below 290 since spending most of the time at 300 to 315 pounds.  The last ten years at 400+ pounds.  Where did genetics come into play

recessive gene Keith on mom's side.  Blond hair and blue green eyes are recessive traits...Do you have people on your moms side that are tall and or strong?

G_Thang

• Getbig V
  • The World South of the USA isnt for pussies!
« Reply #14 on: June 25, 2010, 11:40:11 AM »

The only thing you get from your mom is the hair line from the men on her side plus mitochondria…so you know how much energy you have at end of day?  Your dad is xy (defective)…so you’re f##ked from that end.  Just eat a lot of protein so you can remember this BS.  Everything else is just a square.   

LurkyLurker

• Getbig III
  • Advices
« Reply #15 on: June 25, 2010, 11:52:56 AM »
As to how someone with small parents could get large... of course there is a recessive gene that turned dominant somewhere. Without doing a gene analysis on a person you can't say that they don't have the "genetics" to look a certain way. Plus, mutations happen all the time. If two "normal" people have a child with Down's Syndrome it's pointless to look at the parents and try to reason that their child shouldn't have been afflicted.

Fact is, if you are 250 pounds with a decent percentage of muscle it's because your body has the biological switches that can be flipped to allow for that kind of mass, regardless of what your parents look like. You couldn't put Lance Armstrong on the same diet and training regimen as Jay and expect him to even achieve the level of mass that Jay had at 19.

Ursus

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #16 on: June 25, 2010, 06:47:59 PM »
As to how someone with small parents could get large... of course there is a recessive gene that turned dominant somewhere. Without doing a gene analysis on a person you can't say that they don't have the "genetics" to look a certain way. Plus, mutations happen all the time. If two "normal" people have a child with Down's Syndrome it's pointless to look at the parents and try to reason that their child shouldn't have been afflicted.

Fact is, if you are 250 pounds with a decent percentage of muscle it's because your body has the biological switches that can be flipped to allow for that kind of mass, regardless of what your parents look like. You couldn't put Lance Armstrong on the same diet and training regimen as Jay and expect him to even achieve the level of mass that Jay had at 19.

Posted this before. This is me almost 2 years ago with my parents.

drkaje

• Getbig V
  • Quiet, Err. I'm transmitting rage.
« Reply #17 on: June 25, 2010, 06:56:00 PM »

Next you'll be writing drugs can't overcome genetics. :)

James Blunt

• Getbig IV
« Reply #18 on: June 25, 2010, 07:13:36 PM »
It's obvious guidos are beasts

Lundgren

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • Banned
« Reply #19 on: June 25, 2010, 07:41:07 PM »

Your simplifying it a bit. Mutations is not that common. And it's more than recessives genes. Diet has a very large componet of height. The average dutch person use to be about 5 6, and is now around 6 feet. Diet has a huge part to play, not just simply eating a lot but also when you eat, during your youth. But from what i gather genetics is anything but simple. There is starting to seem quite a bit of evidence that genes are trigger, by alot of things. Something as simple as emotinal trauma can have a large effect of one genes are triggered.

The_Hammer

• Getbig V
  • President Barack Obama -- 2 Term U.S. President
« Reply #20 on: June 25, 2010, 07:44:48 PM »
Posted this before. This is me almost 2 years ago with my parents.

That's not your real father.

che

• Getbig V
« Reply #21 on: June 25, 2010, 07:45:24 PM »

njflex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • HEY PAISAN
« Reply #22 on: June 25, 2010, 08:05:59 PM »
it is they have the same black fuzzy eyes.

Palpatine Q

• Getbig V
« Reply #23 on: June 25, 2010, 08:06:53 PM »
Next you'll be writing drugs can't overcome genetics. :)

they can't....but that doesn't mean I think that pro BBers are genetic gods....but you have to be a pretty muscular dude in the first place. There are LOTS of muscular people in this world

marty31672

• Getbig IV
« Reply #24 on: June 25, 2010, 08:07:53 PM »
as long as you keep striving and never give up its possible even you can go pro someday