Author Topic: Is Fedor Emelianenko, the Greatest Heavyweight Ever, Fighting in the Wrong Weigh  (Read 6553 times)

MindSpin

• Getbig V
  • MMA > Boxing
Is Fedor Emelianenko, the Greatest Heavyweight Ever, Fighting in the Wrong Weight Class?
 by JonathanSnowden on Jun 27, 2010 1:58 AM EDT in News

Fedor Emelianenko has dominated the competition for years looking much like he did tonight. The man famous for his ice cream cones, well, looks like a man who is intimately familiar with ice cream cones. Fedor weighed in for his main event contest with Fabricio Werdum at 229 pounds. And that was a soft 229 pounds.

If you were describing Fedor's physique in a single word it might be "doughy." Tonight he was sporting love handles that would be too much for even the mammoth pawed Shane Carwin to grab in a single handful. In the past, when Fedor was younger, quicker, and stronger, this wasn't a huge issue. Against today's crop of giant heavyweights? It can make all the difference.

We saw Fedor get bulled around the cage by a green Brett Rogers. Tonight, he looked like a much smaller man than Fabricio Werdum. And, scarily enough, at 6-4 and 238 well proportioned pounds, Werdum is not a big heavyweight. It's no longer 2005-and Fedor Emelianenko is no longer the fighter he once was. To compete realistically against the best fighters of the modern era, Emelianenko needs to be physical equals with the man staring across the cage at him.  In short, Fedor needs to drop to 205 pounds.
w

spinnis

He loves fighting bigger and hevier people because it almost always gives him a speed advantage.

He would be able to "reach" 202 without a fucking problem though.

AC Slater

• Getbig IV
  • The king of Bayside
that is what makes Fedor so great.  He doesnt cut weight.  He isnt too scared to fight at his legit weight, unlike everyone in the ufc below LHW
I dont like twinks.

MindSpin

• Getbig V
  • MMA > Boxing
He isn't too scared to fight his legit weight as long as it's cans outside of the UFC. LOL!!!!
w

AC Slater

• Getbig IV
  • The king of Bayside
He isn't too scared to fight his legit weight as long as it's cans outside of the UFC. LOL!!!!

LOL!

This was a lose-lose fight for Fedor in your eyes and you know it. If he won, it is because he was fighting cans.  If he lost, he is old and washed up.
I dont like twinks.

K-1

• Getbig IV
  • TEAM NO MERCY!!!
Goes to show you people don't know sh*t about mma.

This isn't heavyweight boxing where a 6'6" 250 boxer is simply too much for a 6'1' 225 boxer....it's completely different.

Fedor got caught because he was sleeping. Anybody that studies these fighters and know their tendencies knows fedor usually sweeps the opponents legs completely to the side and goes in heavy on his GNP THEN if if doesn't result in a finish he backs away and allows the stand up. Simple and fuc'n plain. He didn't do any of that last night...not to mention there was no sweat...it was early in first so you can't gamble like that when you are dry...don't know WTF he was thinking if you ask me against a 100% BJJ guy with ZERO stand imo.

anyway.....the ONLY and I mean ONLY mofo who don't care about getting caught in that position dry or not is rampage....he will try a slam and more than likely WILL slam your ass in that position. He is the only cat that doesn't care. Fedor got cocky and lost b/c of it imo.

MindSpin

• Getbig V
  • MMA > Boxing
LOL!

This was a lose-lose fight for Fedor in your eyes and you know it. If he won, it is because he was fighting cans.  If he lost, he is old and washed up.

Exactly what I've been saying all along. There is NO shame in losing to top competition as all UFC fighters do, since they are fighting the best.

But, when you fight a bunch of cans, you can build a great record. But if you lose, you lose big.

Fedor just learned this the hard way.

Lol!!!!
w

Shockwave

• Getbig V
  • Decepticons! Scramble!
Exactly what I've been saying all along. There is NO shame in losing to top competition as all UFC fighters do, since they are fighting the best.

But, when you fight a bunch of cans, you can build a great record. But if you lose, you lose big.

Fedor just learned this the hard way.

Lol!!!!
Mindspin, I used to like 99% of what you post, but seriously, you are a fucking idiot.
Just come out and say it, You dont like Fedor because everyone else loves him and hes the top dog. Just fucking say it. 
Youre one of those guys that "has to be different" and "has to do it your way"
Since Fedor has all those fucking nuthuggers and everyone puts him as a god, you have to hate him. Thats all it is.

Fury

• Getbig V
  • All aboard the USS Leverage
Mindspin, I used to like 99% of what you post, but seriously, you are a fucking idiot.
Just come out and say it, You dont like Fedor because everyone else loves him and hes the top dog. Just fucking say it. 
Since Fedor has all those fucking nuthuggers and everyone puts him as a god, you have to hate him. Thats all it is.

LOL. While all that is true, it widely believed (although not confirmed) that Mindspin has a vested interest in the UFC.  ;)

benchmstr

• Getbig V
  • Raging drunk
LOL. While all that is true, it widely believed (although not confirmed) that Mindspin has a vested interest in the UFC.  ;)
he is unemployed....he doesnt have vested interest in anything.....

bench

AC Slater

• Getbig IV
  • The king of Bayside
Pretty sure Dana has all the mods of popular mma forums on his accounts payable list.

Their duties include deleting threads that praise Fedor, and constantly talking about how great the UFC is and its fighters.
I dont like twinks.

burn2live

• Getbig IV
Pretty sure Dana has all the mods of popular mma forums on his accounts payable list.

Their duties include deleting threads that praise Fedor, and constantly talking about how great the UFC is and its fighters.

Wouldn't put it past him

smoothasf

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
K1 you were slightly wrong on your analysis but at least your 95% there unlike most of these morons.  he wasnt sleeping, his striking was spot on as usual, then he swept both feet aside for the gnp as usual, then........ this is how he lost....... he went to grab werdums left leg when he was trying to pull guard to sweep them away to the side for a second time, he missed his leg and pushed his arm straight into guard. simple mistake but had he caught that shin as planned there is no doubt in my mind the ref would have been stopping the bout 30 seconds later with a differet result.

smoothasf

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!

humble to the end or is it the start?

K-1

• Getbig IV
  • TEAM NO MERCY!!!
K1 you were slightly wrong on your analysis but at least your 95% there unlike most of these morons.  he wasnt sleeping, his striking was spot on as usual, then he swept both feet aside for the gnp as usual, then........ this is how he lost....... he went to grab werdums left leg when he was trying to pull guard to sweep them away to the side for a second time, he missed his leg and pushed his arm straight into guard. simple mistake but had he caught that shin as planned there is no doubt in my mind the ref would have been stopping the bout 30 seconds later with a differet result.

you are correct.

I reviewed this again a few hours ago.....that cage trapped him into that also if you watch him try to perform it all in one move to get side mount and release hammers from the side. Werdum time it perfectly and turned towards the cage on that same side and trapped him. Werdum used that cage perfectly and locked in those subs nicely.

chaos

• Getbig V
  • Ron "There is no freedom of speech here" Avidan
If he won, it is because he was fighting cans.  If he lost, he is old and washed up.
This statement holds true for alot of people on this board, on both sides of the UFC/whatever org they are supporting coin.

LOL, just stfu and watch people beat each other up for our amusement, how hard can that be?
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

Earl1972

• Getbig V
  • #EarlToo
a real man fights men his own size or bigger

Mr. Emelianenko is too much of a real man to fight smaller men

E
E

MindSpin

• Getbig V
  • MMA > Boxing
a real man fights men his own size or bigger

Mr. Emelianenko is too much of a real man to fight smaller men

E
The biggest men are all in the UFC ::) the two biggest are fighting this coming weekend.
w

Captain Equipoise

• Getbig V
  • back from the dead...
Goes to show you people don't know sh*t about mma.

This isn't heavyweight boxing where a 6'6" 250 boxer is simply too much for a 6'1' 225 boxer....it's completely different.

Fedor got caught because he was sleeping. Anybody that studies these fighters and know their tendencies knows fedor usually sweeps the opponents legs completely to the side and goes in heavy on his GNP THEN if if doesn't result in a finish he backs away and allows the stand up. Simple and fuc'n plain. He didn't do any of that last night...not to mention there was no sweat...it was early in first so you can't gamble like that when you are dry...don't know WTF he was thinking if you ask me against a 100% BJJ guy with ZERO stand imo.

anyway.....the ONLY and I mean ONLY mofo who don't care about getting caught in that position dry or not is rampage....he will try a slam and more than likely WILL slam your ass in that position. He is the only cat that doesn't care. Fedor got cocky and lost b/c of it imo.

I was actually really surprised Fedor didn't try for a slam.. but after seeing the replay that triangle was in DEEP.

Earl1972

• Getbig V
  • #EarlToo
The biggest men are all in the UFC ::) the two biggest are fighting this coming weekend.

how exactly has Mr. Emelianenko been "exposed"?

exposed as a human and not a cyborg?

E
E

20inch calves

• Getbig V

100% truth right there
irongearco.com

HDPhysiques

• Getbig III
  • "Hi-Def Bodies in Hi-Def Video"
Mindspin is 100% correct on all issues regarding Fedor, Lesnar, and UFC.  Sorry, but he is.
JOIN HDPhysiques!!!!

The_Infidel

• Getbig III
  • Professor of Bro-Science
I'm sorry but I've never been impressed with Fedor.  He looks really dominating against cans and guys that washed out of the UFC.  He's a talented and tough fighter no doubt.  However, it's a fact that he hasn't been fighting the best heavyweights in the world for quite some time.  His resume doesn't read like a who's who, it' more of a.....who?.  I'm not going to say he's all hype but his so-called legacy is overblown. 
Come at me Bro!

WeightPSHR

• Getbig IV
  • _____________

I will say that across most MMA boards, Fedor is not well liked. Most true fans are frustrated that Fedor was not fighting the fights people wanted to see.  Rankings are one thing, but Fedor's antics are very frustrating. Then to top it off, he was ranked #1 while fighting sub-par talent.

He dodged Overeem, and the UFC, then fights Rodgers and Werdum, a #10 ranked UFC reject. Who really wanted to see this fight?

He then loses in the first few minutes of the fight, and spoils any type of match with real HW's in the UFC or with Overeem.

In he end, Fedor screwed us and was exposed. His legend of an era status will remain, but his rankings will rightfully decline.

Darren Avey

• Getbig V
Welcome to mindspins world - where a guy 6 feet 4 and 238lbs is apparently small!!