Author Topic: wanderlei silva  (Read 856 times)

Krankenstein

• Getbig V
  • quit·ter : a person can't finish a task
wanderlei silva
« on: June 27, 2010, 08:59:42 PM »
Ok....so, wandy held the Pride belt for a few years right? Was he fed cans or were there "fixes" going on...or was he just that good?

I only bring this up due to the loss of Fedor and the other thread talking about how bad of year its been for the top of the MMA chain.  Didnt Randy hold the belt for a while....as did Tito?  Again, were they fed cans?  Just curious what everyones take is on the likelyhood (or unlikelyhood) of someone holding the belt for longer than 1yr.

smoothasf

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
Re: wanderlei silva
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2010, 12:38:05 AM »
if you play a computer game long enough you finally work out how to get the better of it, same goes for fighters, weaknesses get exposed more and more with every match then everyone knows how to train to beat you. plus in pride they could get juiced right up just like you should be able to.

claymore

• Getbig IV
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2010, 03:03:08 AM »
Silva was that good !!

Krankenstein

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2010, 12:06:42 PM »
Silva was that good !!

I agree....but I cant count how many times I watched Pride and was like "who the fuck is this guy he's fighting??"

MindSpin

• Getbig V
  • MMA > Boxing
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2010, 01:03:47 PM »
I agree....but I cant count how many times I watched Pride and was like "who the fuck is this guy he's fighting??"

That happened ALL the time in Pride.  They even wrote scripts for the guys.  Rampage was supposed to be a homeless bum they found on the street.

I'm not saying that Pride fights were fixed, but they definitely made "entertainment" a big priority over the actual sport of fighting.  That's why you saw all the wacky entrances, oddball mismatched fights and freak fighters like Giant Silva.
w

Krankenstein

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2010, 06:42:27 PM »
I always joked about the guys I had no clue about that someone came up to a popcorn vendor and offered them $5000 to step into the ring with someone and supposedly take "a dive"...when in fact they would get their asses handed to them.

Captain Equipoise

• Getbig V
  • back from the dead...
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2010, 05:04:13 AM »
if you play a computer game long enough you finally work out how to get the better of it, same goes for fighters, weaknesses get exposed more and more with every match then everyone knows how to train to beat you. plus in pride they could get juiced right up just like you should be able to.

Excellent post!