Author Topic: Fedor Emelianenko says loss was God's will, eyes rematch with Fabricio Werdum  (Read 814 times)

gmflex

• Getbig V
  • The Empire lives...you rebel scum!!!
Fedor Emelianenko says loss was God's will, eyes rematch with Fabricio Werdum

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Fedor Emelianenko says loss was God's will, eyes rematch with Fabricio Werdum | MMAjunkie.com

Quote:
SAN JOSE, Calif. – Just as he had following each one of his astonishing 27 consecutive victories, Russian heavyweight Fedor Emelianenko (31-2 MMA, 1-1 SF) entered the night's post-event press conference with little visible emotion.

Despite the fact that the MMA world had been turned on its head following Emelianenko's 69-second loss to Fabricio Werdum (14-4-1 MMA, 3-0 SF) in the main event of Saturday's Showtime-broadcast "Strikeforce and M-1 Gloabl: Fedor vs. Werdum" event, "The Last Emperor" remained his usual stoic self as reporters tried to dissect how and why the sport's greatest heavyweight had been so quickly deposed.

After all, as Emelianenko explained, how could he be disappointed at what was obviously God's will?

"I'm really very sorry," Emelianenko told MMAjunkie.com (UFC blog for UFC news, UFC rumors, fighter interviews and event previews/recaps | MMAjunkie.com) through his interpreter. "It's a pity that I disappointed people who really believed in me and trusted in me, but everything in this life happens for some reason.

"If God decided it that way, that means that was the best way for this very time. I thank God for everything."

In the opening moments of the contest, things seemed to go according to plan. An early barrage of Emelianenko's powerful leaping hooks left Werdum on the ground, and the Russian terminator quickly followed to the ground to finish off his wounded prey. But Emelianenko was entering the lion's den by willfully engaging Werdum on the floor, and the former PRIDE champion admitted his actions were a bit misguided.

"At the very beginning of the round, I hit Fabricio, and I wanted to finish as soon as possible," Emelianenko said. "At that very moment, I made a mistake."

Werdum immediately secured Emelianenko's arm, and he would never get it back. Werdum retained the appendage while working himself into a combination triangle choke and armbar lock from which the Russian would not escape.

For the record, Emelianenko said it was the pressure of the triangle choke that forced him to tap. Emelianenko also said his inability to work free showed a weakness in his game.

"At the very moment when I had to escape, I stopped," Emelianenko said. "I didn't do that, and that moment was used by Fabricio to finish his lock.

"I try to work out so that to come up to the fight in my best shape. The fight showed that maybe I didn't work enough. Maybe I didn't work a lot somewhere, and I didn't manage to make all my technique become automatic. That means I will have to work more."

And there will be more.

Much of the pre-fight discussion surrounding Emelianenko focused on how much longer the 33-year-old would remain actively fighting. And while the loss was certainly an astonishing setback, Emelianenko said he has every intention to return for at least the one fight remaining on his deal with Strikeforce.

"My health, I'm in very good condition," Emelianenko said. "I feel myself very, very good. I will have one more fight here. I will be continuing."

As for that next fight, Emelianenko said he would appreciate the opportunity to avenge the first true defeat of his storied 10-year-career.

"Certainly I would like to have a rematch with Fabricio," Emelianenko said. "If he agrees, I would love to do that."

Emelianenko refused to reflect too much on the unparalleled run of nearly 10 years without tasting defeat. A humble man, the Russian said God has always kept him from taking too much pride in his accomplishments.

So while the discussions as to Emelianenko's current relevance in the heavyweight landscape of mixed martial arts are sure to be a hot topic in the coming days – especially in light of the UFC 116 main event between Brock Lesnar and Shane Carwin that lies just seven days away – the stoic Red Devil fighter said this is simply an example of the vulnerability of all fighters.

"The one who doesn't fall doesn't stand up," Emelianenko said. "It happens that I was made kind of an idol. Everybody loses. That happens.

"I'm a normal human being, as are all of us. If it is God's will, the next fight I'll win."

And with the same calmness that he's shown throughout the run that may never again be equaled in mixed martial arts, Emelianenko said if anything, he was relieved.

"No pressure at all," Emelianenko said. "There is some relief because tomorrow I will go back home." 

Gracious in victory and even more so in defeat. For those who can't understand why people like Fedor it's because of the man that he is just as much as it is about his fighting skill.

MindSpin

• Getbig V
  • MMA > Boxing
Fedor is right.  God was mad at him for ducking fights and decided to teach him a lesson.
w

chaos

• Getbig V
  • Ron "There is no freedom of speech here" Avidan
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

coltrane

• Getbig IV
Fedor is right.  God was mad at him for ducking fights and decided to teach him a lesson.

This is all true...as well as to punish those feeble-minded Getbig Fedor followers.

WeightPSHR

• Getbig IV
  • _____________
Personally, I think God wanted Fedor to feel guilt for all the easy money he had made in his career fighting UFC rejects and cans.

“Return your sword to its place, for all those who take the sword will perish by the sword." Matthew, 26:52

Eric15210

• Getbig IV
  • poor people are crazy I'm eccentric

but Fedor did  ;D

RIP Bob Probert

MindSpin

• Getbig V
  • MMA > Boxing
w