Author Topic: Clinton earns $65 million in speaking fees as private citizen  (Read 1844 times)

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
The title of "former president" is one of the most lucrative in the country. 

Clinton earns $65 million in speaking fees as private citizen
Posted: June 29th, 2010

From CNN Political Research Director Robert Yoon

'I never had any money until I got out of the White House, you know, but I've done reasonably well since then,' Clinton said during the Fortune Time CNN Global Forum in Cape Town, South Africa.
Washington (CNN) - Former president Bill Clinton stepped up the pace of his paid speaking engagements in 2009, bringing his total haul from these speeches to $65 million since leaving office in 2001.

According to Secretary of State Hillary Clinton's annual financial disclosure report released Monday, the former president earned $7.5 million from 36 paid speeches last year, up from the $5.7 million he earned for 25 speeches in 2008. Almost half of his speech earnings last year, $3.2 million, came from 13 speeches delivered in nine other countries, ranging in distance from Canada and Mexico to Turkey, Slovenia, and the United Arab Emirates. The remainder was earned in 23 speeches delivered in seven states and the District of Columbia.

Almost two-thirds of President Clinton's earnings from 365 paid speaking engagements since leaving the White House have come from overseas. Since 2001, he has earned $40.1 million from 197 speeches in 45 foreign countries. His most popular destination was Canada, where he has participated in 50 paid events for a total of $8.4 million. This includes a June 2008 speech for the motivational speaking conference "The Power Within" in which he earned $525,000, the most he has ever earned for a single event. Clinton has given a total of 21 speeches at various "Power Within" events since 2001 for a total of $4.6 million.

The former president's second most popular overseas speaking destination over the past nine years was the United Kingdom, where he earned $3.2 million for 16 events. Also ranking high were Germany ($2.5 million for 11 events), Australia ($2.3 million for 13 events), and Mexico ($2.0 million for 10 events).

The $7.5 million Clinton earned in speeches in 2009 tops by almost $2 million the amount he earned the previous year, when he devoted six months on the stump campaigning on behalf of his wife's unsuccessful bid for the Democratic presidential nomination. That year, Hillary Clinton loaned her presidential campaign a total of $13.2 million out of her and her husband's personal funds. The Clintons ended up eating the cost of that loan because the campaign was unable to repay the amount by the deadline required by federal campaign finance laws. However, since Hillary Clinton suspended her presidential campaign on June 7, 2008, her husband has earned $12.3 million in speaking fees for 56 events, going a long way towards canceling out the impact of the loan.

President Clinton's most lucrative years on the speaking circuit were 2006, when he earned $10.2 million for 57 speeches, and 2007, when he earned $10.1 million for 54 speeches. In 2004, Clinton spent much of the year writing his memoirs and recovering from heart bypass surgery and earned only $875,000 in speaking fees.

Clinton was an elected official on a fixed government salary for all but two years from 1977, when he took office as the Arkansas attorney general, until leaving the White House in January 2001, a fact he noted Sunday at the Fortune Time CNN Global Forum in Cape Town, South Africa.

"I never had any money until I got out of the White House, you know, but I've done reasonably well since then," said Clinton.

Though it is not unusual for former presidents to command millions of dollars in speaking fees after leaving office, Clinton is the only one subjected to strict disclosure requirements as a result of his wife's employment as a high-ranking federal official, first as a United States Senator and now as Secretary of State.

When President Obama first nominated then-Sen. Clinton, his former rival, to be the nation's top diplomat in December 2008, the former president agreed to a number of steps to guard against possible conflicts of interest that may arise from his various post-presidential activities. In particular, he has agreed to allow State Department and White House ethics officials to review his slate of proposed speaking engagements.

Secretary Clinton's financial report also indicates the couple owns assets valued at between $10.8 million and $51.8 million, not including the value of their primary residence, which federal regulations do not require them to disclose.

http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com/2010/06/29/clinton-earns-65-million-in-speaking-fees-as-private-citizen/?fbid=XPBeW4MfwYo#more-111155

kcballer

• Getbig V
  • In you I feel so pretty, In you I taste God
Re: Clinton earns $65 million in speaking fees as private citizen
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2010, 12:11:58 PM »
Helps that people all over the world like him.  i doubt bush could ever bring that kind of money to the table.
Abandon every hope...

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2010, 12:18:30 PM »
Dubya is reportedly charging $150,000 a speech. 

kcballer

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2010, 12:22:38 PM »
Dubya is reportedly charging $150,000 a speech. 

plus the thousands it costs to protect him overseas.  A lot of protesters will come to those events. 
Abandon every hope...

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2010, 12:28:01 PM »
plus the thousands it costs to protect him overseas.  A lot of protesters will come to those events. 

It doesn't cost him anything.  He has secret service protection for life. 

He's going to make millions. 

kcballer

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2010, 12:31:46 PM »
It doesn't cost him anything.  He has secret service protection for life. 

He's going to make millions. 

::) off who?  Clinton makes money because people around the world like him.  Bush?  Eh not so much or did you miss the massive protests everywhere he went?  Heck he even went to Canada and had protesters going crazy wanting to arrest him and this was in a conservative town/province up there in Alberta.  Not exactly liberal territory.  So i don't know who or where exactly you think he's going to make money.  Besides Clinton has eloquence that Bush could never hope to have, his speaking abilities are average at best.
Abandon every hope...

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2010, 12:44:16 PM »
::) off who?  Clinton makes money because people around the world like him.  Bush?  Eh not so much or did you miss the massive protests everywhere he went?  Heck he even went to Canada and had protesters going crazy wanting to arrest him and this was in a conservative town/province up there in Alberta.  Not exactly liberal territory.  So i don't know who or where exactly you think he's going to make money.  Besides Clinton has eloquence that Bush could never hope to have, his speaking abilities are average at best.

Off the people/organizations who will pay him $150k a speech.  I don't know what he earned in 2009, but I would imagine he has already earned seven figures since leaving office. 

kcballer

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2010, 01:09:53 PM »
Off the people/organizations who will pay him $150k a speech.  I don't know what he earned in 2009, but I would imagine he has already earned seven figures since leaving office. 

And like the said the market for that is MUCH smaller than it is for Clinton because Bush isn't well received overseas. 
Abandon every hope...

Option D

• Getbig V
  • Kelly the Con Way

BM OUT

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2010, 01:13:00 PM »
I think its great people can make as much cash as possible.I wish the president felt the same.

As far as Bush,he could be making just as much speaking HERE in this country.There are many many people here who still love him.Just as Palin can make millions here.Libs think its not the case because their media paints conservatives as being hated,its simply not true.I bet Bush is better liked in Isreal then Obama and in the UK as well,at least by people that matter.

kcballer

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2010, 01:14:50 PM »
I think its great people can make as much cash as possible.I wish the president felt the same.

As far as Bush,he could be making just as much speaking HERE in this country.There are many many people here who still love him.Just as Palin can make millions here.Libs think its not the case because their media paints conservatives as being hated,its simply not true.I bet Bush is better liked in Isreal then Obama and in the UK as well,at least by people that matter.

Israel yes, UK no way Billy.  The UK detests the Iraq war and view Bush as the catalyst for dragging them into it. 
Abandon every hope...

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2010, 01:17:40 PM »
And like the said the market for that is MUCH smaller than it is for Clinton because Bush isn't well received overseas. 

He may or may not make as much as Clinton, but Dubya will still earn millions.  Every former president has tremendous earning potential. 

BM OUT

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2010, 01:22:27 PM »
Israel yes, UK no way Billy.  The UK detests the Iraq war and view Bush as the catalyst for dragging them into it. 

Obama insulted the UK the first day he took office when he sent the bust back.He insulted them by giving the queen an IPOD with his speeches on it.This guy has done everything he can to alienate every ally we have.However he has tried to make friends with Muslims,so thats a real positive.

OzmO

• Getbig V
  • Drink enough Kool-aid and you'll think its healthy
« Reply #13 on: June 29, 2010, 01:33:17 PM »
It's to be expected Clinton makes more money and is more liked.  He's easily the most successful since Reagan.

BUSH will make lots of money but mostly in the USA.

It's interesting, 150k a speech?  Bill Walsh was making 100k per speech in the mid 90's.

BM OUT

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #14 on: June 29, 2010, 01:39:39 PM »
It's to be expected Clinton makes more money and is more liked.  He's easily the most successful since Reagan.

It's interesting, 150k a speech?  Bill Walsh was making 100k per speech in the mid 90's.

In fairness,who would you rather hear,a politician or an NFL football coach.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Doesnt lie about lifting.
« Reply #15 on: June 29, 2010, 01:41:47 PM »

Bush needs to hide in private forever.  He is the main reason for Obama.  

Clinton is a great saleman and is slick.  Bush is a . . . . .

OzmO

• Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: June 29, 2010, 01:49:14 PM »
In fairness,who would you rather hear,a politician or an NFL football coach.

for me, Bill Walsh all the way.

However, we are not talking about a politician as much, we are talking about a former leader of the free world.

I wonder how much Clinton gets per speech

OzmO

• Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: June 29, 2010, 01:49:43 PM »
Bush needs to hide in private forever.  He is the main reason for Obama.  

Clinton is a great saleman and is slick.  Bush is a . . . . .

Tool?

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #18 on: June 29, 2010, 02:29:46 PM »

That's an awful lot.  I doubt there are more than a handful of people in the country who can command $150k for what is probably a 30 minute speech.