Author Topic: Sen. Al Franken Naps, Draws Cartoons During Kagan Hearings  (Read 9202 times)

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
Sen. Al Franken Naps, Draws Cartoons During Kagan Hearings
« on: June 29, 2010, 06:14:28 PM »
Where is the head shaking emoticon?  Krusty the Clown is an embarassment. 

Sen. Al Franken Naps, Draws Cartoons During Kagan Hearings
By Joseph Abrams
Published June 29, 2010
FOXNews.com
AP

June 29: Sen. Al Franken sketches Sen. Jeff Sessions, R-Ala., during the Judiciary Committee's confirmation hearings for Supreme Court nominee Elena Kagan.

He's good enough, he's smart enough, but doggone it — he just can't keep his eyes open for Senate confirmation hearings.

Al Franken, the onetime comedian and current Democratic senator from Minnesota, used his position on the vaunted Judiciary Committee on Tuesday to doodle a lifelike bust of Sen. Jeff Sessions, the committee's ranking Republican, as Sessions raked Supreme Court nominee Elena Kagan over the coals.

But it wasn't all fun and games for the former "Saturday Night Live" star — Franken also found time to get in a good nap during the first day of hearings Monday.

Live video from Senate chambers shows a woozy Franken getting some much-needed shuteye as Kagan explains her intellectual approach to life and teachings in her opening statement to the Senate.

But Franken, the most junior member of the Judiciary Committee, had already been forced to sit through an endless round of statements from his senior colleagues on the 19-member panel as they droned on and on and on in the crowded Washington chamber.

When it finally came time for Kagan herself to speak, Franken had apparently had enough.

"I've learned that we make progress by listening to each other," said Kagan hopefully, as Franken slowly closed his eyes and appeared to doze off.

"I've learned that we come closest to getting things right when we approach every person and every issue with an open mind," she said, Franken now apparently lost to the living.

Kagan herself has expressed a profound scorn for Senate confirmation hearings, which she described as empty "lessons of cynicism" — a "vapid and hollow charade" that replace important legal discussions with repetitive platitudes.

It is unclear whether Franken shares that sentiment about the hearings or was simply bored by the proceedings. Sen. Franken's office did not return calls or e-mails seeking comment.

Kagan's questioning will continue for a third day on Thursday morning.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2010/06/29/sen-al-franken-naps-draws-cartoons-kagan-hearings/

Purge_WTF

Re: Sen. Al Franken Naps, Draws Cartoons During Kagan Hearings
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2010, 01:11:30 AM »
  He's only doing what all the others on the panel wanna do. Those things are about as fun as watching gum harden.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2010, 05:33:41 AM »
hahahaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aa

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Doesnt lie about lifting.
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2010, 05:44:34 AM »
hahahaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

This whole hearing is a joke. 

Colossus_500

• Getbig IV
  • Psalm 139
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2010, 06:10:12 AM »
I thought this was hilarious when I saw it on the news this morning.  The people of Minnesota are surely embarrassed by this man.  lol

BM OUT

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2010, 06:17:07 AM »
Did you see his drawing of Sessions?The guy is pretty talented.

LurkerNoMore

• Getbig V
  • Dumb people think Trump is smart.
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2010, 08:00:23 AM »
Did you see his drawing of Sessions?The guy is pretty talented.

He is just capturing what Sessions USED to look like before Kagan delivers her Xena warrior yell and assaults him at the men's room urinal.

BM OUT

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2010, 09:50:18 AM »
He is just capturing what Sessions USED to look like before Kagan delivers her Xena warrior yell and assaults him at the men's room urinal.

She could probably slap him in the face with 7 inches of limp dick.

Seriously,those actors can do anything,sing,dance,act,draw ,I used to think they didnt have talent and were just in the right place at the right time,but those people can do anything that relates to art.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2010, 10:01:59 AM »

Seriously,those actors can do anything,sing,dance,act,draw ,I used to think they didnt have talent and were just in the right place at the right time,but those people can do anything that relates to art.

Agreed - i trained a girl once when I was a PT who was an actress.  Then one day she breaks out in song and I am like WWTTFF? ? ?

Another time, she showed me some dance moves she had, etc. 

I agree with you 100% Billy.  She was hot as hell too.     

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2010, 10:16:24 AM »

hahaha brutal Eazy-E reference

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2010, 10:19:40 AM »

I remember as a kid I actually took that moron seriously.   ;D  ;D  ;D

BM OUT

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2010, 10:30:28 AM »

Notice I only used 7 not 9.She is jewish you know.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2010, 11:58:15 AM »
Clip of Krusty sleeping:

[/youtube]

Everyone who voted for this clown should slap themselves in the face today. 

Skip8282

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2010, 04:49:55 PM »
This whole hearing is a joke. 

They all are.  We all know they're just going to vote along ideological lines anyway.  So why waste time with hearings.

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2010, 07:31:38 PM »
Clip of Krusty sleeping:

[/youtube]

Everyone who voted for this clown should slap themselves in the face today. 

doesn't look like he's sleeping to me

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: August 05, 2010, 08:46:33 PM »
Franken Apologizes for Irritating GOP Leader
Thursday, 05 Aug 2010     

Sen. Al Franken has apologized for being rude to Sen. Mitch McConnell as the Senate's top Republican was winding up a solemn debate on the nomination of Elena Kagan to the Supreme Court.

Franken was presiding over the Senate as McConnell explained his opposition to the nominee. A Senate GOP aide said Franken made theatrical gestures and whispered under his breath as McConnell spoke. It was distracting enough that McConnell went up to the former comedian afterward and said, "This isn't 'Saturday Night Live', Al."

The aide spoke on condition of anonymity because of the sensitivity of the situation.

Franken later went to McConnell's office to try to apologize. McConnell wasn't there, so Franken delivered a handwritten apology.

http://www.newsmax.com/InsideCover/US-Franken-McConnell-Spat/2010/08/05/id/366762

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: August 06, 2010, 12:42:22 PM »
What a freakin embarassment.   ::)  Here is the apology:

GOP leader to senator: 'This isn't 'Saturday Night Live'
From Ted Barrett, CNN
August 6, 2010

(CNN) -- Sen. Al Franken apologized Thursday after Senate Republican Leader Mitch McConnell complained he mocked him while the latter was delivering a speech opposing Supreme Court nominee Elena Kagan.

Franken, a Minnesota Democrat, was presiding over the Senate at the time of the speech, a McConnell aide confirmed to CNN.
"This isn't 'Saturday Night Live,' Al," McConnell warned the former star of the comedy program moments later, according to the McConnell aide who asked not to be identified.

Franken was clearly moved by the confrontation, which occurred in the Senate chamber.

Moments after the vote, he approached a group of CNN reporters standing in a Senate hallway and asked for directions to McConnell's office.
Shortly after, Franken delivered a note to McConnell apologizing for any disrespect, the aide said.

"The leader thought I was disrespectful while he was giving his speech on General Kagan," Franken said in a statement provided to CNN.
"He is entitled to give his speech with the presiding officer just listening respectfully. I went directly to his office after I was done presiding to apologize in person. He wasn't there, so I've sent him a handwritten note."

http://www.cnn.com/2010/POLITICS/08/06/mcconnell.franken/index.html

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: February 07, 2017, 05:59:38 PM »
This made me laugh out loud.  Surely Democrats can do better than this, can't they?

No Joke: Al Franken for President?
After years of shunning the spotlight in the Senate, Minnesota’s junior senator is in the limelight—and would be a formidable candidate for the Democrats.
Feb. 5, 2017

Al Franken isn’t a punch line in the Sen­ate any­more. He’s emerged as one of the Demo­crats’ most ag­gress­ive and ef­fect­ive ques­tion­ers of Pres­id­ent Trump’s Cab­in­et nom­in­ees. He’s gen­er­ated nu­mer­ous made-for-TV clips as one of the few Demo­crats will­ing to go full-bore against his party’s top tar­gets—Jeff Ses­sions, Tom Price, and Betsy De­Vos. He’s fi­nally show­ing some per­son­al­ity in the Sen­ate, punc­tu­ated by his laugh-out-loud ex­change with En­ergy Sec­ret­ary-des­ig­nate Rick Perry. And he’ll be one of nine Demo­crats on the Ju­di­ciary Com­mit­tee ques­tion­ing Trump’s Su­preme Court nom­in­ee, Neil Gor­such. This is Al Franken’s mo­ment in the spot­light, and if he chooses, he could par­lay his good for­tune in­to a bid for the pres­id­ency in 2020.

To be sure, Franken, 65, may not be the Demo­crats’ strongest can­did­ate in the gen­er­al elec­tion. His deeply lib­er­al polit­ics and long-stand­ing dis­missive­ness of Re­pub­lic­ans turn off many voters in the middle. But with Demo­crats look­ing for strident op­pos­i­tion to Trump in the early days of his pres­id­ency, they’re prob­ably not go­ing to be in a prag­mat­ic mood in the primar­ies. So far, much of the lib­er­al ex­cite­ment has centered around Sens. Eliza­beth War­ren and Bernie Sanders, but they will be 71 and 79, re­spect­ively, dur­ing the gen­er­al elec­tion. Neither has shown any abil­ity to win sup­port out­side the most pro­gress­ive pre­cincts. Franken, at least, can point to a re­cord of elect­ab­il­ity with groups that Demo­crats will need to win over.

I ex­per­i­enced Franken’s polit­ic­al po­ten­tial firsthand after trav­el­ing to Min­nesota to cov­er his reelec­tion bid in 2014. That year, Re­pub­lic­ans swept nearly every com­pet­it­ive Sen­ate race—even giv­ing Sen. Mark Warner a run for his money in Vir­gin­ia. But Franken com­fort­ably pre­vailed against a well-fun­ded GOP busi­ness­man, one of the few tar­geted Demo­crats to run against the tide. He ac­com­plished that by win­ning the rur­al, work­ing-class Iron Range, an area that swung dra­mat­ic­ally to Trump last Novem­ber. Like Trump, he cham­pioned buy-Amer­ic­an le­gis­la­tion for iron and steel com­pan­ies, and helped se­cure new trade pro­tec­tions and tar­iffs against Chinese steel. A Franken ad­viser told Na­tion­al Journ­al he’s likely to find “some com­mon ground” with Trump on trade is­sues. He’s akin to Sen. Sher­rod Brown of Ohio, with more star power to ex­cite the mil­len­ni­als and non­whites who make up so much of the Demo­crat­ic Party’s base.

Franken’s biggest vul­ner­ab­il­ity was that he was bet­ter known for his com­ic turns on Sat­urday Night Live than for his le­gis­lat­ive re­cord. But he’s no or­din­ary comedi­an: He went to the pres­ti­gi­ous Blake School in Min­nesota and gradu­ated from Har­vard. And in the age of Trump, be­ing a tele­vi­sion celebrity isn’t nearly the vul­ner­ab­il­ity that it once seemed. His hand­lers took great pains to avoid the me­dia dur­ing his first term, avoid­ing in­ter­views with Wash­ing­ton-based re­port­ers. But these days, Franken is act­ing a lot more au­then­tic­ally, with his propensity to light­en the mood dur­ing tense hear­ings as com­mon as his hair-trig­ger tem­per.

Franken is com­ing out with a mem­oir this year on Me­mori­al Day, an­oth­er sign he’ll be get­ting more at­ten­tion in the months to come. A Franken spokes­man said the sen­at­or re­mains fo­cused on Min­nesota, and brushed off any spec­u­la­tion about a fu­ture pres­id­en­tial cam­paign. But with many Demo­crats ar­guing that they need their own fam­ous face to chal­lenge Trump, Franken fits the bill as well as any­one.

https://www.nationaljournal.com/s/647681?unlock=K36E7XFBC11I1KQ7

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #18 on: March 22, 2017, 10:30:04 AM »
I don't know what's worse:  the fact Democrats put this dummy in office or the fact he sits on the judiciary committee. 

OBSERVATIONS ON THE GORSUCH HEARING, PART TWO — AL FRANKEN STRIKES OUT
POSTED ON MARCH 21, 2017 BY PAUL MIRENGOFF IN AL FRANKEN, NEIL GORSUCH, SUPREME COURT

Sen. Al Franken has become something of a hero to the left because it was in response to one of his questions that Attorney General Sessions said he “did not have communications with the Russians.” Franken never asked Sessions whether he had. Instead, Sessions volunteered this information.

So this wasn’t Al Franken getting Sessions to misstate something in response to withering questions; this was dumb luck. (It is also lucky for Franken that his admirers in the mainstream media aren’t pointing out the context of Sessions’ answer; he was talking about conversations in his capacity as a “surrogate” for Trump.)

Today, Franken didn’t get lucky. He came up empty. His questioning of Neil Gorsuch was farcical.

Franken began by asking Judge Gorsuch about his dissent in TransAm Trucking v. Administrative Review Board (discussed by Ed Whelan here). This is the one case the Democrats have found out of the nearly 3,000 Gorsuch has decided that they think they can hammer him on. Because Gorsuch resisted allowing hard facts to make bad law, it’s easy to attack him by emphasizing the hard facts.

This is what Franken did. But two other Democratic Senators had already pursued the same line of questioning. By rehashing the case, Franken was just wasting everyone’s time.

After that, things got weird. Franken wanted to talk about the treatment of Judge Merrick Garland by Senate Republicans. He mentioned that when he asked Gorsuch, during the office visit, whether he thought Garland had been treated fairly, Gorsuch declined to answer because this is a political type question, and he tries to avoid politics.

Franken said he accepted this answer at the time, only to learn that Gorsuch has been involved in politics. He cited Gorsuch’s work for the Bush campaign in 2004, and noted that Gorsuch touted this work when he later sought a position in the Bush Justice Department. He also said that Gorsuch is knowledgeable about past confirmation battles.

Having taken pains, and a fair amount of time, to show that Gorsuch isn’t a stranger to politics, Franken returned to Judge Garland. Why, given his past involvement in politics, couldn’t Gorsuch opine on the treatment of Garland?

Gorsuch exploded that balloon with a simple answer: he’s a judge now, and judge’s shouldn’t opine on political questions.

Strike one.

Franken’s next line of questioning was ridiculous. Returning to the 2004 election, Franken noted that Gorsuch worked on the team of lawyers that assisted the Bush campaign in Ohio. He noted that in Ohio that year, Republicans arranged for the issue of gay marriage to be on the ballot. Franken said (correctly, I think) that they did this in the hope of maximizing turnout by social conservatives.

Franken views this as an outrage — as if there’s something immoral about letting Ohioans vote on gay marriage. But Gorsuch was just part of a team of lawyers helping in Ohio towards the end of the campaign. He had nothing to do with the strategy of putting gay marriage on the ballot.

Franken tried to get around this problem by noting that Gorsuch was a law school friend of Ken Mehlman, who, apparently was behind the Ohio gambit. So what? Friend or not, Gorsuch isn’t responsible for strategic campaign decisions made by Mehlman.

Getting nowhere slowly, and seeking an exit, Franken asked Gorsuch about his view on gay marriage. As he had in response to this sort of question all day — and as the last six Supreme Court nominees (at least) have done — Gorsuch declined to answer a question that has implications for how he might vote in a future case.

Strike Two.

Franken’s last line of questioning was about statements made by Reince Priebus at C-PAC last month. Priebus apparently made some comment about how having Judge Gorsuch on the Supreme Court will enable conservatives to win cases for the next 40 years, or maybe reverse 40 years of bad law — it wasn’t clear which, at least in Franken’s telling.

Franken then asked Gorsuch what Priebus meant by his statement.

We all know that Franken isn’t a lawyer. But you don’t need to be one to understand the foolishness of asking a witness what another person’s statement means.

Straining, or so it seemed, not to laugh at Franken, Gorsuch delivered the obvious answer: Franken should ask Priebus.

Strike three.

Franken gave it the old junior high school try today. Maybe that will be enough to keep his base happy. If so, his base has very low standards.

http://www.powerlineblog.com/archives/2017/03/observations-on-the-gorsuch-hearing-part-two-al-franken-strikes-out.php

TuHolmes

• Getbig V
  • Darkness is fated to eventually be destroyed...
« Reply #19 on: March 22, 2017, 04:34:20 PM »
I seriously don't understand how Al Franken is still a damn Senator.

Ok, I get he won back win the Dems were stomping on Republicans because of GWB, but sheesh, how is he STILL in office?

The guy is a complete MORON.

The idea he thinks he could run for President is so laughable.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #20 on: March 22, 2017, 05:14:44 PM »
I seriously don't understand how Al Franken is still a damn Senator.

Ok, I get he won back win the Dems were stomping on Republicans because of GWB, but sheesh, how is he STILL in office?

The guy is a complete MORON.

The idea he thinks he could run for President is so laughable.

Yep.  Electing someone like him is bad enough, but reelecting him might be worse.  The problem is once one of these duds gets in office, the power of the incumbency helps propel them to reelection.  That's partly why we need term limits. 

TuHolmes

• Getbig V
« Reply #21 on: March 22, 2017, 05:24:17 PM »
Yep.  Electing someone like him is bad enough, but reelecting him might be worse.  The problem is once one of these duds gets in office, the power of the incumbency helps propel them to reelection.  That's partly why we need term limits. 

Ever notice how everyone says term limits are great until they are actually elected?

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #22 on: March 22, 2017, 05:26:59 PM »
Ever notice how everyone says term limits are great until they are actually elected?

Truth.  Their focus changes to staying in office, rather than actually doing what's best for the country. 

TuHolmes

• Getbig V
« Reply #23 on: March 22, 2017, 05:33:45 PM »
Truth.  Their focus changes to staying in office, rather than actually doing what's best for the country. 

That's as honest a statement as has ever been made.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #24 on: November 17, 2017, 09:49:53 AM »
So Krusty the Clown is a pervert.  I am not surprised he is a flaming hypocrite.