Author Topic: School Officials in Mass. Town Won't Let Students Recite Pledge of Allegiance  (Read 1125 times)

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
Times, they are a changing.   :-\

School Officials in Mass. Town Won't Let Students Recite Pledge of Allegiance
By Todd Starnes
Published June 29, 2010
FOXNews.com

When Sean Harrington entered his freshman year at Arlington High School, he noticed something peculiar: There were no American flags in the classrooms, and no one recited the Pledge of Allegiance.

So Harrington enlisted the aid of his fellow students, and now, three years later, they have succeeded in getting flags installed in the classrooms. But the pledge still will not be recited.

The Arlington, Mass., school committee has rejected the 17-year-old's request to allow students to voluntarily recite the Pledge of Allegiance, because some educators are concerned that it would be hard to find teachers willing to recite it, according to a report in the Arlington Patch.

Harrington had presented school officials with a petition signed by 700 people, along with letters of support from lawmakers including Sen. John Kerry, D-Mass., and Sen. Joe Lieberman, I-Conn.

But the request to have the pledge recited failed when the committee's vote ended in a 3-3 tie.

"I was really heartbroken," Harrington told FOX News Radio. "It's hard to think that something so traditional in American society was turned down."

His fight has received quite a bit of support from the community. "When I was going to school, it was an honor and a privilege to pledge allegiance to the flag," Francis De Guglielmo, 55, told the Patch. He called the ban an "absolute travesty" and a "disgrace."

Harrington, who will be a senior in the fall, said he will continue to fight. "I'm not a person who quits and I don't back down. It's a very righteous cause and needs to be followed through until the end."

Some committee members voiced concerns about forcing people to do something that might violate their beliefs – including religious beliefs. Among the no-votes was committee member Leba Heigham.

"Patriotism is a very personal thing for all of us, but I do not think it is in the school committee's best interest to mandate that any of our employees recite the pledge," she told the Patch.

Harrington said the recitation would have been strictly voluntary.

"If we can't find one teacher who is willing to say the pledge, then the system we have is cracked," he told FOX News Radio, noting that a number of teachers signed his petition.

He said the school's ban on the pledge sends the wrong message. "It tells me that we've basically cast aside what our country is founded on," he said. "It's saying that we don't really care, and it's sad."

Arlington's superintendent of schools did not return a call for comment.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2010/06/29/ma-school-officials-wont-let-students-recite-pledge-allegiance/?test=latestnews

tonymctones

• Getbig V
these tards should be stripped tarred and feathered...

how dare they, if you dont want to be in this country and dont want to swear alligence to it than get the shit out...especially if youre a teacher  ::) ::) ::)

pro nitrousADRL

• Getbig III
  • put more nitrous on that, it still has spark plugs
now now, thats not politicaly correct  and the illegals in america wont like that!!!
down with hussein

Parker

• Getbig V
  • He Sees The Stormy Anger Of The World
WTF, what beliefs and what religios beliefs...its voluntary...Most kids in high school use that time to talk to one another.

And many "illegal" immigrants don't want to be Americans, they want to reap the benefits, make their money and go home. They don't give two-nickels about America, Americans or what it is to be a American.

pro nitrousADRL

• Getbig III
And many "illegal" immigrants don't want to be Americans, they want to reap the benefits, make their money and go home. They don't give two-nickels about America, Americans or what it is to be a American.

couldnt be more correct!!!!!
down with hussein

Purge_WTF

I have to live in this pinko state, too.  >:(

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
 :-\

Massachusetts School Offers to Allow Pledge of Allegiance -- but Not in Class
By Todd Starnes
Published June 29, 2010
FOXNews.com
Source: Sean Harrington

Sean Harrington is fighting to get the Pledge of Allegiance recited in the classroom at Arlington High School.

Student Sean Harrington appears to have won his fight to bring the Pledge of Allegiance back into his Massachusetts high school -- except the principal's proposed solution leaves the daily honor to the nation's flag literally hanging in the hall.

Charles Skidmore, principal of Arlington High School in Arlington, Mass., has offered to allow students to recite the pledge before school begins -- but in the school's foyer and not in the classrooms, as 17-year-old Harrington had hoped.

Kathleen Bodie, Arlington superintendent of schools, told Fox News Radio that “The principal wanted to be very respectful about the pledge and be sensitive to the Supreme Court ruling that students are not forced to say the pledge. He wanted to be sensitive to the diverse group of students we have.”

Bodie said there has been reluctance to put the district's teachers in a position of reciting the pledge, and she acknowledged that some have raised concerns about its inclusion of the words “under God.”

“I don’t know if it’s all about ‘under God,’ but that is certainly an aspect of it,” she said.

She said the pledge is voluntarily recited in the district's elementary and middle schools, but it hasn't been recited at the high school in decades.

It is unclear whether Harrington, who led the fight to bring the pledge back to the school, will be satisfied with the compromise of having it recited in the foyer, and not in class. When he was a freshman, he noticed that there were no American flags in the classrooms, and he enlisted the aid of his fellow students to get them installed. He also began his fight to have students voluntarily recite the pledge.

Harrington recently presented school officials with a petition signed by 700 people, along with letters of support from lawmakers including Sen. John Kerry, D-Mass., and Sen. Joe Lieberman, I-Conn. But the request to have the pledge recited failed when the committee's vote ended in a 3-3 tie.

"I was really heartbroken," Harrington told Fox News Radio. "It's hard to think that something so traditional in American society was turned down."

His fight has received quite a bit of support from the community. "When I was going to school, it was an honor and a privilege to pledge allegiance to the flag," Francis De Guglielmo, 55, told the Arlington Patch. He called the ban an "absolute travesty" and a "disgrace."

Harrington, who will be a senior in the fall, told Fox News Radio: "I'm not a person who quits and I don't back down. It's a very righteous cause and needs to be followed through until the end."

Some committee members voiced concerns about forcing people to do something that might violate their beliefs – including religious beliefs. Among the no-votes was committee member Leba Heigham.

"Patriotism is a very personal thing for all of us, but I do not think it is in the school committee's best interest to mandate that any of our employees recite the pledge," she told the Patch.

But Harrington stressed that he was seeking a voluntary recitation.

"If we can't find one teacher who is willing to say the pledge, then the system we have is cracked," he told FOX News Radio, noting that a number of teachers signed his petition.

He said the school's ban on the pledge sent the wrong message. "It tells me that we've basically cast aside what our country is founded on," he said. "It's saying that we don't really care, and it's sad."

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2010/06/29/mass-flag-pledge-resolution/

Mr. Magoo

• Getbig V
  • THE most mistaken identity on getbig
the pledge was just created to force southerners to keep their mouths shut after the civil war and to keep them in line

i dont understand the whole "founding fathers" theme around it

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
Scott Brown hasn't commented on this?

kcballer

• Getbig V
  • In you I feel so pretty, In you I taste God
Isn't America about freedom?  Why force these kids to say anything.  If he wants to recite the pledge let him do it before school. 

More nit picking really as this has nothing to do with education or well being.  It's a silly talking point taken up by so called 'patriots' who care more about everyone being just like them, than about people being free to be who they really are. 
Abandon every hope...

BM OUT

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
Scott Brown hasn't commented on this?

Unlike Obama who feels the need to comment on every small issue but ignore every big issue,Im sure Brown is busy.

Now,I know Im in the minority,but sorry,Im with the school on this.Or should I say Im with the principal who said he would meet with any student outside the office in the morning who wanted to say the pledge.Sorry,if the government says "YOU MUST" then Im against it.I love the pledge,but I dont need some piss ant legislator to tell me when and where I can say the pledge or pray.In fact,when a government scum bag says "you have to" I will probably do what I can not to.

pro nitrousADRL

• Getbig III
Isn't America about freedom?  Why force these kids to say anything.  If he wants to recite the pledge let him do it before school.

because blacken  some american tradition is should be passed on from generation to generation to ensure these traditions last and american values exist in 100 years. if you cant say the pledge cause you have an issue with it  get out of american schools.       

and by your logic of why force them to do anything????    hell why force them to got to school then??
down with hussein

kcballer

• Getbig V
because blacken  some american tradition is should be passed on from generation to generation to ensure these traditions last and american values exist in 100 years. if you cant say the pledge cause you have an issue with it  get out of american schools.      

and by your logic of why force them to do anything????    hell why force them to got to school then??

awww look who it is, how's BP's bankruptcy going?  You did say it WOULD happen.  
Abandon every hope...

pro nitrousADRL

• Getbig III
gosh you sure are obsessed with that kc,  how nice it must be to be like you and be perfect and high and mighty, and never ever mistake the words you use!!!  you should teach a class in that and then we could all maybe one be as perfect as you,  just maybe

way to be a good lil liberal and change the subject at hand also,  hussein obama would be soooo  proud of you
down with hussein

kcballer

• Getbig V
gosh you sure are obsessed with that kc,  how nice it must be to be like you and be perfect and high and mighty, and never ever mistake the words you use!!!  you should teach a class in that and then we could all maybe one be as perfect as you,  just maybe

way to be a good lil liberal and change the subject at hand also,  hussein obama would be soooo  proud of you

I doubt you could, you write like a child.  Such poor English skills and here you are wanting everyone to speak it.  haha.  Perhaps you should learn it first.  Judge not lest ye be judged...
Abandon every hope...

pro nitrousADRL

• Getbig III
i was unaware that this was a grammer board kc?    but keep nit picking things like that,  i know its hard for you libs to find something other than that,  name calling or palin to talk about
down with hussein

kcballer

• Getbig V
i was unaware that this was a grammer board kc?    but keep nit picking things like that,  i know its hard for you libs to find something other than that,  name calling or palin to talk about

::)  If you can't articulate your point, you may as well be speaking another language.
Abandon every hope...

pro nitrousADRL

• Getbig III
wow,   I am in such aww of being in the presents of such a smart person like kc.  wow!!   gosh why arent you part of the smartest admin ever , I mean  wow   you could end poverty, cure cancer and stop the spill and fix the climate all by your self  and probably in one week.  !!  Then you could solve all the problems in the middle east to,  you could be the worlds savior!!!!!
down with hussein

kcballer

• Getbig V
wow,   I am in such aww of being in the presents of such a smart person like kc.  wow!!   gosh why arent you part of the smartest admin ever , I mean  wow   you could end poverty, cure cancer and stop the spill and fix the climate all by your self  and probably in one week.  !!  Then you could solve all the problems in the middle east to,  you could be the worlds savior!!!!!

Sorry speak English please.  The word presents does not fit so i'm unsure what you're trying to say.  Perhaps you should go back to school and spend less time pledging and more time learning.
Abandon every hope...

pro nitrousADRL

• Getbig III
Keep fishing K.C.!  You grammer master you.
down with hussein

pro nitrousADRL

• Getbig III
K.C  why dont you change your name to GRAMMER MASTER :D
down with hussein

pro nitrousADRL

• Getbig III
well now that k.c. (aka) grammer master has had his little chance to feel relevant  we can get back to the matter of the pledge!!
down with hussein

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
We're starting to see the true longterm effect of Romneycare

;D

Skip8282

• Getbig V
Sorry speak English please.  The word presents does not fit so i'm unsure what you're trying to say.  Perhaps you should go back to school and spend less time pledging and more time learning.

Always love seeing a grammer warrior make an ass of themselves.  When you refer to a word in a sentence, you put it in quotation marks, as in "The word 'presents'...".  And it's "I'm", not "i'm".  But, please continue correcting others.  It's very amusing.

kimura

• Getbig III
  I have to live in this pinko state, too.  >:(

It could be worse...I went to that fucking high school.  Arlington is Cambridge lite.