Author Topic: Will Congress Kill Volunteer Fire Departments? (More liberal insanity)  (Read 985 times)

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Doesnt lie about lifting.
Will Congress Kill Volunteer Fire Departments?
by  Robert B. Bluey
www.humanevents.com
06/29/2010

________________________ ___________________

Volunteer fire departments are about as American as apple pie. But under legislation moving quickly in Congress, this staple of American life could soon be a thing of the past.

House Majority Whip James Clyburn (D.-S.C.) wants to include the Public Safety Employer-Employee Cooperation Act as part of the war supplemental coming before the House this week. The bill forces state and local governments to collectively bargain with police, firefighters and emergency workers. Its critics say it would compel volunteer firefighters to join unions, threatening the survival of America's nearly 26,000 volunteer fire departments.

The act would affect some states more than others. In North Carolina and Virginia, for example, collective bargaining is currently prohibited. Eighteen other states have limitations on bargaining. The legislation would likely force those governments to abandon merit-based promotions for public safety workers and shift instead to a collectively bargained seniority schedule, which unions prefer.

By including the legislation in the much larger supplemental appropriations bill, which funds the wars in Afghanistan and Iraq, Clyburn would avoid a contentious fight with conservatives and appease unions with a legislative victory. And because the Senate has already passed the supplemental, Republicans would have no opportunity to amend it. In other words, the only way to stop the Public Safety Employer-Employee Cooperation Act is to keep it out of the supplemental.

The House previously approved the measure in 2007 with the support of 98 Republicans. Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid (D.-Nev.) tried and failed to attach it to the Senate version of the war supplemental in May. At least six Republican senators have signaled their support for the bill. They include Sens. Scott Brown (Mass.), Susan Collins (Maine), Judd Gregg (N.H.), Mike Johanns (Neb.), Lisa Murkowski (Alaska) and Olympia Snowe (Maine).

None of the Senate Republican co-sponsors hail from states that limit collective bargaining. Johanns, normally a solid conservative with an American Conservative Union rating of 95%, told the Wall Street Journal: “For several years now, we’ve seen the benefit of a similar policy in Nebraska which prevents public employees from going on strike while helping to establish reasonable compensation ranges.”

Critics of the bill call it anything but reasonable. The Heritage Foundation's James Sherk documented the consequences to volunteer firefighters last time the bill was this close to passage in 2007. Sherk noted that nationwide 72% of firefighters are volunteers, serving mostly communities with fewer than 25,000 people.

Under the Public Safety Employer-Employee Cooperation Act, also known as PSEECA, the International Association for Fire Fighters stands to gain. The union, which represents career firefighters, strongly opposes volunteers and prohibits its members from belonging to volunteer departments, even when they're not on duty.

"Firefighters unions vehemently oppose volunteer firefighters because they reduce the need for paid firefighters," Sherk said. "They levy stiff internal fines against unionized firefighters who volunteer off-duty. By requiring all states and localities to collectively bargain, PSEECA would make it easier for unions to crack down on volunteer firefighting."

Boosting membership at public-sector unions is a top priority for Big Labor. Last year they surpassed private-sector unions and represent an area of growth for the labor movement. Of course, the costs are steep as governments grapple with higher salaries and expensive benefits.

Like most labor unions, the International Association for Fire Fighters is also a major supporter of liberals, having given 82% of its political donations to Democrats over the past 20 years.

Conservatives aren't alone in opposing the legislation. The National League of Cities and National Sheriffs' Association criticized the bill when Reid attempted to attach it to another piece of legislation earlier this year. They worry about the encroachment of the Federal Labor Relations Authority, which would intervene in states and localities without collective bargaining laws.

"We believe that employment decisions are best made at the state and local level," said Ron Loveridge, mayor of Riverside, Calif., and president of the National League of Cities.

In an alert to its members, the National Sheriffs' Association attacked the legislation for imposing an unnecessary federal mandate: "To force sheriffs and other public safety officers to adhere to a 'one-size fits all' federally mandated labor-management guidelines is to impede the ability of public safety offices to function most effectively and allocate valuable resources to the maintenance of public safety."

The bill's problems extend beyond the encroachment on states' rights. The growing power and cost of public-sector unions is already straining government coffers. Sherk estimates that unionized state and local government employees make up to 12% more than their non-union counterparts and have more expensive benefit packages. Even without the legislation, the cost to states and localities is already adding up.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Mr. Bluey, a contributing editor to Human Events, is director of the Center for Media & Public Policy at The Heritage Foundation. He maintains a blog at RobertBluey.com.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

________________________ ________________________ ________

As bad as the republicans are, were, and will be, they still are a massive improvement to this insanity. 

MRDUMPLING

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
I can't stand Clyburn!  What a crook! 

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
I can't stand Clyburn!  What a crook! 

Many small towns can't afford a professional Fire Dept. and don't have a large tax base to pay for this.  This is simply a massive tax increase for rural areas. 

Typical left wing giveaways at the expense of anyone who actually works for a living.   

BM OUT

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
Everything for unions.

MRDUMPLING

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
Many small towns can't afford a professional Fire Dept. and don't have a large tax base to pay for this.  This is simply a massive tax increase for rural areas. 

Typical left wing giveaways at the expense of anyone who actually works for a living.   

Trust me I know...most of my fire departments in my area are volunteer fire departments.  Clyburn is despised here too.  People can't stand him here.  He keeps getting reelected because of his demographic is from the backwoods country of this state. 

kcballer

• Getbig V
  • In you I feel so pretty, In you I taste God
I don't see a problem with allowing people to bind together and get a fair deal.  If you don't want to you don't have to join a union or bargain for anything.  However, if you feel you are being shortchanged so to speak even as a volunteer then you should be able to collectively bargain.  It's a democratic right in my opinion. 
Abandon every hope...

kcballer

• Getbig V

Recently, an article by James Sherk of the Heritage Foundation about the Public Safety Employer-Employee Cooperation Act (H.R. 980) has been published in a number of newspapers across the country. The stated goal of H.R. 980 is, "To provide collective bargaining rights for public safety officers employed by States or their political subdivisions."

The article cites a provision in H.R. 980 that was designed to protect the right of a career firefighter to volunteer during off-duty hours. Specifically, the provision bars collective bargaining agreements subject to the National Labor Relations Act (NLRA) from prohibiting employees from volunteering during off-duty hours. The article accurately states that this provision would not protect the vast majority of career firefighters. This is because NLRA applies to nongovernmental employees, while most career firefighters are employed by municipal or county units of government.

The National Volunteer Fire Council has worked diligently with Senate staff to develop language that would provide protection to career firefighters who volunteer during off-duty hours. On October 1, the Senate version of the Public Safety Employer-Employee Cooperation Act (S. 2123) was introduced and included language in Section 8(a)(5) that states that collective bargaining agreements struck in states affected by the bill cannot include provisions prohibiting employees from volunteering during off-duty hours.

The NVFC does not have a position on S. 2123 but is supportive of the language in Section 8(a)(5) protecting volunteer firefighters. The NVFC never established a position on H.R. 980 but would oppose enactment of legislation expanding collective bargaining rights to career firefighters without also protecting the right of those same firefighters to volunteer during off-duty hours should they choose to do so.
http://www.fireengineering.com/index/articles/display/309380/articles/fire-engineering/government/2007/10/national-volunteer-fire-council-on-article-regarding-collective-bargaining-legislation.html

Abandon every hope...

BM OUT

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
I don't see a problem with allowing people to bind together and get a fair deal.  If you don't want to you don't have to join a union or bargain for anything.  However, if you feel you are being shortchanged so to speak even as a volunteer then you should be able to collectively bargain.  It's a democratic right in my opinion. 

How are you shortchanged as a volunteer?The problem with your argument is that if a company gets a union YOU HAVE TO JOIN!There is no choice in the matter.These firestations are there because the town cant afford a full time firestation.Once again the federal government SUCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
This is nothing than another massive tax hike for rural people. 

DEMOCRAT = MARXIST 

kcballer

• Getbig V
How are you shortchanged as a volunteer?The problem with your argument is that if a company gets a union YOU HAVE TO JOIN!There is no choice in the matter.These firestations are there because the town cant afford a full time firestation.Once again the federal government SUCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bullsh*t read what i said.  They are fighting to not have the mandatory joining of a union.  Not all unions are mandatory Billy and they shouldn't be.  I don't know the exact details but perhaps they need better equipment or perhaps they need a per Diem in tough times to make it less of a financial burden.  Either way banning the democratic practice of collective bargaining is totalitarian in nature and not keeping with democracy.
Abandon every hope...

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
Bullsh*t read what i said.  They are fighting to not have the mandatory joining of a union.  Not all unions are mandatory Billy and they shouldn't be.  I don't know the exact details but perhaps they need better equipment or perhaps they need a per Diem in tough times to make it less of a financial burden.  Either way banning the democratic practice of collective bargaining is totalitarian in nature and not keeping with democracy.

If people are volunteers, why do we even need to be discussing collective bargaining? 

Fury

• Getbig V
  • All aboard the USS Leverage
If people are volunteers, why do we even need to be discussing collective bargaining?  

Liberals have to control everything so it's not surprising they're going after volunteers now. Got to stick their fingers in every pie.  ::)

What's next? Forcing people who volunteer at soup kitchens into unions?

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
Volunteer FD's are a massive success in this nation and they cant even leave that alone? 

WTH is wrong with these people? 

Is there nothing they won't try to destroy? 

BM OUT

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!

Please give me a list of unions that arent mandatory.Id especially like to know which unionised fire department isnt mandatory in joining a union.This is an attempt to unionise more and more places of work,just like card check.Its the unions that Obama cares about which is why he wont lifdt the Jones act in the gulf,it hurts unions.

kcballer

• Getbig V
Please give me a list of unions that arent mandatory.Id especially like to know which unionised fire department isnt mandatory in joining a union.This is an attempt to unionise more and more places of work,just like card check.Its the unions that Obama cares about which is why he wont lifdt the Jones act in the gulf,it hurts unions.

::) Oh please Billy your anti-union tirades are getting a little tired. You might want to move onto a new schtick. 
Abandon every hope...

GigantorX

• Getbig V
  • GetBig's A-Team is the Light of Truth!
I don't see a problem with allowing people to bind together and get a fair deal.  If you don't want to you don't have to join a union or bargain for anything.  However, if you feel you are being shortchanged so to speak even as a volunteer then you should be able to collectively bargain.  It's a democratic right in my opinion.  

Yeah and in that I do agree. But the problems arise when the Union changes from a group that is there to protect workers rights, conditions and fair pay/work rules to one the becomes parasitic and and starts saying "gimmie mine", "I want mine no matter the cost to the corporation", getting gratious pensions for no work, Jobs Banks and being able to practically hold a gun to the corporations head to get what it wants.

If the Unions were about the former rather than the latter I would have little problem with them but the vast majority of them have become latter and now are a net drain on anything they attach themselves too.

and nice Smashing Pumpkins lyrics under your avatar.

MRDUMPLING

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
::) Oh please Billy your anti-union tirades are getting a little tired. You might want to move onto a new schtick. 

Did you read the article?  The whole point is to get them to join a union.  The unions are against volunteer FDs.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
Did you read the article?  The whole point is to get them to join a union.  The unions are against volunteer FDs.

We need to greatly expand volunteer FD's IMHO.  Give tghe volunteers a tax credit off of local property taxes or something like that and we could save billions. 

BM OUT

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!

Geeze,its only the number one issue in Obamas policies.The stimulus was a union slush fund.He wont drop the Jones act to clean the gulf because it hurts union jobs.He wants card check and amnesty to get more union jobs.The health care bill exempts union workers from the cadilack tax.His entire agenda is based on two things,destroy as many non union private sector jobs as possible and get as many union workers as possible so he can get more money.