Author Topic: GE CEO Immelt: "Business hates Obama, and Obama hates Business"  (Read 1089 times)

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Doesnt lie about lifting.
Immelt hits out at China and Obama
By Guy Dinmore in Rome and Geoff Dyer in Beijing

Published: July 1 2010 15:19 | Last updated: July 1 2010 20:33

Jeffrey Immelt, General Electric’s chief executive, has launched a rare broadside against the Chinese government, which he accused of being increasingly hostile to foreign multinationals.

He warned that the world’s largest manufacturing company was exploring better prospects elsewhere in resource-rich countries, which did not want to be “colonised” by Chinese investors. “I really worry about China,” Mr Immelt told an audience of top Italian executives in Rome, accusing the Chinese government of becoming increasingly protectionist. “I am not sure that in the end they want any of us to win, or any of us to be successful.”

More FT video

EDITOR’S CHOICE

GE chief gives vent to frustration over China - Jul-01.Video: Manpower chief on US companies ‘fooling themselves’ - Jul-01.In depth: Obama and Wall Street - Jan-26.US blocks China fibre optics deal over security - Jun-30.Obama’s export drive is ‘misdirected’ - Jun-28.beyondbrics: ‘I really worry about China’ - Jul-01..

Mr Immelt also had harsh words for Barack Obama, US president, lamenting what he called a “terrible” national mood and expressing concern that over-regulation in response to the global financial crisis would damp a “tepid” US economic recovery. Business did not like the US president, and the president did not like business, he said, making a point of praising Angela Merkel, Germany’s chancellor, for her defence of German industry.

“People are in a really bad mood [in the US],” Mr Immelt said. “We [the US] are a pathetic exporter...we have to become an industrial powerhouse again but you don’t do this when government and entrepreneurs are not in synch.”

Mentioning a meeting with Jean-Claude Trichet, he said the president of the European Central Bank “worries about inflation every day”, in contrast to Ben Bernanke, chairman of the Federal Reserve, who will keep interest rates “at zero” as long as necessary.

Mr Immelt acknowledged the importance of the Chinese market, which contributed $5.3bn to the group’s revenues last year, but declared GE was encountering its toughest business conditions there in 25 years.

“China and India remain important for GE but I am thinking about what is next,” he said, mentioning what he called “most interesting resource-rich countries” in the Middle East, Africa, Latin America plus Indonesia. “They don’t all want to be colonised by the Chinese. They want to develop themselves,” he said. The comments echo a rising chorus of complaints from foreign business groups in China about the regulatory environment they face.

In a statement, GE said Mr Immelt’s remarks had been taken out of context and contested the accuracy of the reporting. “Mr Immelt’s comments at a private dinner focused on the relationship between business and government in general and did not single out President Obama. Mr Immelt also discussed the attractiveness and importance of China as a market for GE.”

.Copyright The Financial Times Limited 2010. You may share using our article tools. Please don't cut articles from FT.com and redistribute by email or post to the web.

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/ed654fac-8518-11df-adfa-00144feabdc0.html

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
Re: GE CEO Immelt: "Business hates Obama, and Obama hates Business"
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2010, 05:02:42 AM »
I guess GE is upset the crap & tax is stalled so far. 

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2010, 09:41:25 AM »
I am convinced rush lurks on this site and takes every one of my articles for his show. 

Skip8282

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2010, 03:44:26 PM »
Fuck Immelt and GE.  These shitbags sell to Iranians who sponser terrorists. 

MM2K

• Getbig IV
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2010, 11:42:31 PM »
He is a shit bag and what is most pathetic is that he probably voted for Obama. You get the govovernment that you deserve. You certainly arent going to see me sympathizing with him.
Jan. Jobs: 36,000!!