Author Topic: Power cleans.  (Read 6155 times)

James Blunt

• Getbig IV
Re: Power cleans.
« Reply #25 on: July 05, 2010, 03:19:34 AM »
The great old deadlift is better for these in my opinion. The barbell speed and the weight used are pretty small in the power clean. Meaning it isn't particularly good for "true" explosiveness or used as a strength movement. It's a poor compromise between the two opposite ends.
Where is the explosive power in the deadlift  ??? It's A to B with little technique required.

This just created a hate for Kai Green I'm not sure I'll ever be able to get over.

#1 Klaus fan

• Getbig V
« Reply #26 on: July 05, 2010, 03:27:51 AM »
Where is the explosive power in the deadlift  ??? It's A to B with little technique required.

Little technique (some might disagree) is a good thing if anything. People often forget that strength is a MAJOR component of power. Power clean weights are somewhere around 50 % to 60 % of deadlift max, and in this range the maximum strength plays the biggest part. In short: just get fucking stronger and your power clean and explosiveness increases.

spinnis

« Reply #27 on: July 05, 2010, 03:32:18 AM »

James Blunt

• Getbig IV
« Reply #28 on: July 05, 2010, 03:39:07 AM »
Little technique (some might disagree) is a good thing if anything. People often forget that strength is a MAJOR component of power. Power clean weights are somewhere around 50 % to 60 % of deadlift max, and in this range the maximum strength plays the biggest part. In short: just get fucking stronger and your power clean and explosiveness increases.
I don't even know what point is trying to be made anymore. I enjoy power cleans so much more than deadlifts  ;D

#1 Klaus fan

• Getbig V
« Reply #29 on: July 05, 2010, 04:24:37 AM »
[img width=500 height=462]http://i.imgur.com/gvHIT.jpg[img]

Are you trying to make a point of some kind? This "I post stupid pictures because I think you are not worth responding to" often happens when you attack intellectually dishonest dogma.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #30 on: July 05, 2010, 05:33:50 AM »
Physics 101 is a course some of you guys need to take.  "Deadlifts are better because more weight is used."  Give me a break.  In order to lift a heavy cleans you have to accelerate the bar at max force and speed.  If you were standing on a force plate you would register heavier weight than a slow deadlift. 

Both exercises are good but power cleans are hands down a better exercise for improving athletic function of power.

#1 Klaus fan

• Getbig V
« Reply #31 on: July 05, 2010, 06:10:54 AM »
Physics 101 is a course some of you guys need to take.  "Deadlifts are better because more weight is used."  Give me a break.  In order to lift a heavy cleans you have to accelerate the bar at max force and speed.  If you were standing on a force plate you would register heavier weight than a slow deadlift. 

Both exercises are good but power cleans are hands down a better exercise for improving athletic function of power.

You have to"accelerate the bar at max force and speed" in the deadlift too. Just because acceleration is present it doesn't make the lift explosive. The speed of the bar in the powerclean is around the speed of a fast walking person. Does walking make you explosive? "power cleans are hands down a better exercise for improving athletic function of power." is just babble.

johnnynoname

• Getbig V
  • i have a face like a shovel
« Reply #32 on: July 05, 2010, 07:14:02 AM »
Anybody ever do these? I've been doing them capped off with a press. Pretty rough workout. 20-30 rep sets as fast as possible without hurting my form. It's really bringing the soreness and sweat. Anybody else have anything they do that isn't so ''bodybuilder-esque?"

congrats on discovering what real cardio is, jamesblunt

this is what will get you shredded (along with a sound diet)...not walking on incline on a treadmill for 60minutes, 2 times a day

The Apprentice

• Getbig II

johnnynoname

• Getbig V
« Reply #34 on: July 05, 2010, 07:35:48 AM »
btw, I'm not a crossfit advocate but this workout is actually called "the grace"

#1 Klaus fan

• Getbig V
« Reply #35 on: July 05, 2010, 08:02:47 AM »

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
« Reply #36 on: July 05, 2010, 08:19:07 AM »
btw, I'm not a crossfit advocate but this workout is actually called "the grace"

This is EXACTLY why crossfit is such a joke and dangerous!

I particularly like the caption "Technique is not his strong suit"......if it's not his strong suit then why is he doing 30 reps?? No wonder why crossfit has to be self-insured ::)

The Apprentice

• Getbig II
« Reply #37 on: July 05, 2010, 08:54:30 AM »
i always cringe when i see crossfitters doing cleans or other olympic lifts, they use light weight so they can get away with shitty form

part of the mike boyle video is not correct either, but i guess he is showing the basics of the lift and the rack position is the most crucial so i can understand

_bruce_

• Getbig V
  • Sam Sesambröt Sulek
« Reply #38 on: July 05, 2010, 09:29:58 AM »
So Crosshit is Oly for the mentally handicapped?

The Apprentice

• Getbig II
« Reply #39 on: July 05, 2010, 09:34:57 AM »
not necessarily, my form would suffer too if i were to do 20 hang cleans, but the problem is that many crossfitters never learn the proper technique in the first place

FREAKgeek

• Getbig V
  • Fan of the Golden Era
« Reply #40 on: July 05, 2010, 10:17:44 AM »
Anybody ever do these? I've been doing them capped off with a press. Pretty rough workout. 20-30 rep sets as fast as possible without hurting my form. It's really bringing the soreness and sweat. Anybody else have anything they do that isn't so ''bodybuilder-esque?"

various stuff with sandbags - deadlifting them, clean and pressing them, and just carrying them for distance. Your body will feel de-virginized if you've never done them.

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
« Reply #41 on: July 05, 2010, 10:57:26 AM »
Agreed, sandbag and also keg training is an awesome workout. Nails your CNS like nothing else.

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #42 on: July 05, 2010, 11:59:32 AM »
best exercise for wrecking the lower back, your doctor will thank you.
F

Purple Aki

• Getbig IV
  • penisory contact with her volvo.
« Reply #43 on: July 05, 2010, 12:54:54 PM »
I like crossfit workouts. I avoid the ones that involve high rep oly lifting and stick to the bodyweight ones, instead.

The one round every minute for 30 minutes of: 5 pull ups, 10 press ups and 15 squats is a killer.

johnnynoname

• Getbig V
« Reply #44 on: July 05, 2010, 01:35:56 PM »
if your technique is good and it doesn't suffer during a workout, I see no problem with crossfit workouts

the fact that "technique wasn't his strong suit" isn't Crossfit's fault

James Blunt

• Getbig IV
« Reply #45 on: July 05, 2010, 02:02:35 PM »
congrats on discovering what real cardio is, jamesblunt

this is what will get you shredded (along with a sound diet)...not walking on incline on a treadmill for 60minutes, 2 times a day
Great point mr no name. I've been trying circuit training and a lot of other high rep high intensity stuff for about the past 5 months and power cleans just fit in so well. This new training is so much more fun than the old basic bodybuilding. Seems like I'm getting more out of it also.

James Blunt

• Getbig IV
« Reply #46 on: July 05, 2010, 02:04:37 PM »
best exercise for wrecking the lower back, your doctor will thank you.

Yeah I think that's when you go and try to max out and all that crazy heavy weight jazz. I'm working with weights like 95-135 (WHAT A BEAST) max. My back will be fine i'm sure.

The Apprentice

• Getbig II
« Reply #47 on: July 05, 2010, 02:11:57 PM »
this is why most of the time you clean from blocks, to avoid a back injury in the long run

johnnynoname

• Getbig V
« Reply #48 on: July 05, 2010, 02:14:50 PM »
Great point mr no name. I've been trying circuit training and a lot of other high rep high intensity stuff for about the past 5 months and power cleans just fit in so well. This new training is so much more fun than the old basic bodybuilding. Seems like I'm getting more out of it also.

i'm glad to hear this

If i were you, I would start getting familiar with the "Tabata Protocol", Kettlebells (yes- kettlebells) and Burpees and there many wonderful variations (i, personally, am a big fan of the Burpee power snatch)

James Blunt

• Getbig IV
« Reply #49 on: July 05, 2010, 02:19:54 PM »
i'm glad to hear this

If i were you, I would start getting familiar with the "Tabata Protocol", Kettlebells (yes- kettlebells) and Burpees and there many wonderful variations (i, personally, am a big fan of the Burpee power snatch)
Joe Rogan has a circuit with kettlebells I've been interested in but my bitch ass can't afford them right now. So I've gotta stick with my barbells and dumbells for now. I'll certainly look into this tabata protocol.

''I just raised my workout weight to 60lbs for my standard routine tonight. Big fucking difference.
I was using 50lbs before, and the jump up to 60 was brutal.

I do it in a circuit:
10 swings each arm
6 alternate cleans each arm
5 clean, press, squats
4 push up then rows each arm
clean, rack, 10 squats

Then I repeat. It doesn't take very long to complete the routine, but god damn it's a hard work out, and I see big results in my grappling.
I was doing 50lbs for more reps, but I think to really up my strength I've got to move to eventually doing 3 circuits of 60, and then I'm going to move up to 70lbs.''