Author Topic: Power cleans.  (Read 6153 times)

James Blunt

• Getbig IV
Power cleans.
« on: July 04, 2010, 03:05:34 PM »
Anybody ever do these? I've been doing them capped off with a press. Pretty rough workout. 20-30 rep sets as fast as possible without hurting my form. It's really bringing the soreness and sweat. Anybody else have anything they do that isn't so ''bodybuilder-esque?"

Lion666

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
  • You gotta bring it to get it!
Re: Power cleans.
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2010, 04:16:08 PM »
great for explosiveness, power, speed, not a typical bb'n move but works whole upper back trap complex, basically and speed version of a deady, cleans give that explosiveness and work the whole body. d1 lineman made me do them a few years after i started bb'n and from the 1st set i knew they were awesome. haven't done them in a while but they are in my rotation.  they bridge you into being an athlete instead of a stereotypical slow bulky bb'r

stay with them, power cleans, hang cleans, snatches, one arm barbell cleans, yes one arm like the old style strongman, one arm bar or dumbell snatches, oly lifts are cool

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2010, 04:27:46 PM »
We do them in team training, but in small groups we don't.

James Blunt

• Getbig IV
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2010, 04:33:37 PM »
great for explosiveness, power, speed, not a typical bb'n move but works whole upper back trap complex, basically and speed version of a deady, cleans give that explosiveness and work the whole body. d1 lineman made me do them a few years after i started bb'n and from the 1st set i knew they were awesome. haven't done them in a while but they are in my rotation.  they bridge you into being an athlete instead of a stereotypical slow bulky bb'r

stay with them, power cleans, hang cleans, snatches, one arm barbell cleans, yes one arm like the old style strongman, one arm bar or dumbell snatches, oly lifts are cool
I did some one armed after doing regular ones. It was rouuuuuuuuuugh. I saw a video of Aleksander Emelianenko doing one arms clean and presses with a 130 lb barbell. Ridiculous! Skip to 6:00 mark to see it. He's a beast.

bebop396

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2010, 04:34:34 PM »
I do them regularly since all i have is a barbell with plates...Great workout thats for sure....

Mr Nobody

• Getbig V
  • Falcon gives us new knowledge every single day.
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2010, 04:56:35 PM »
Anybody ever do these? I've been doing them capped off with a press. Pretty rough workout. 20-30 rep sets as fast as possible without hurting my form. It's really bringing the soreness and sweat. Anybody else have anything they do that isn't so ''bodybuilder-esque?"
Great excercise, Bill Starr spoke about these in his book "The Strongest Shall Survive."

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2010, 05:26:14 PM »
Great excercise, Bill Starr spoke about these in his book "The Strongest Shall Survive."

Anyone on here who thinks they are advanced in olympic lifts (specifically cleans) should read 'Starting Strength" by Mark Rippetoe and Lon Kilgore. Some good stuff.

BB

• Getbig V
  • I hope I'm not boring you.
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2010, 05:49:20 PM »
http://topvelocity.net/coach-hatch-instructional-videos/

That's a good general OL video by the 2004 US mens coach. Skip around a little, the beginning is very basic and gets better from there.

On high rep OL lifts, complex training, etc.... It's great for endurance. I think this is a spot where kettlebells and dumbbells shine. With high rep barbell work on these lifts you really need a keen eye, as rack position, etc... does suffer a bit, easier to control with the kettle bells, etc... 

WillGrant

• Getbig V
  • Ron is Watching
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2010, 05:59:50 PM »
Add these along with cracked egg shells to your omlettes and falcone development will follow

James Blunt

• Getbig IV
« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2010, 06:01:15 PM »
Add these along with cracked egg shells to your omlettes and falcone development will follow
I believe this is called a JETHRO TULL WORKOUT

WillGrant

• Getbig V
  • Ron is Watching
« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2010, 06:02:51 PM »
;D A classic for sure

NaturalWonder83

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2010, 06:20:01 PM »
what are some mistakes to avoid in cleans

thanks in advance
w

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
« Reply #12 on: July 04, 2010, 06:22:56 PM »

thanks in advance

This guy is the reason why I go to BU almost every year.....

James Blunt

• Getbig IV
« Reply #13 on: July 04, 2010, 06:38:53 PM »

thanks in advance
Using too much weight.

Mr Nobody

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: July 04, 2010, 06:56:49 PM »
:)

James Blunt

• Getbig IV
« Reply #15 on: July 04, 2010, 06:59:22 PM »

That's seriously one of my favorite youtube videos. To think there is some dude out there doing such a thing is hilarious.

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
« Reply #16 on: July 04, 2010, 07:03:01 PM »

Here's a lesson children....weights and drugs DO NOT MIX. Just say NO.

James Blunt

• Getbig IV
« Reply #17 on: July 04, 2010, 07:05:27 PM »
Samuel Jackson does power cleans

Mr Nobody

• Getbig V
« Reply #18 on: July 04, 2010, 07:20:48 PM »
That's seriously one of my favorite youtube videos. To think there is some dude out there doing such a thing is hilarious.
Yea no doubt one for the GB history archives.

Lion666

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #19 on: July 05, 2010, 01:14:23 AM »
I did some one armed after doing regular ones. It was rouuuuuuuuuugh. I saw a video of Aleksander Emelianenko doing one arms clean and presses with a 130 lb barbell. Ridiculous! Skip to 6:00 mark to see it. He's a beast.

very cool, they're fun and you get a real good feeling of being strong, total body move,,, i got up to a plate a side was my max.  i remember the first time doing them, i was was surprised how difficult of course and mostly surprised at the amount of grip strength you need to balance and keep that barbell parallel to the floor, you really have to squeeze the life outta the middle of that bar

Lion666

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #20 on: July 05, 2010, 01:18:17 AM »
This guy is the reason why I go to BU almost every year.....

nice vid coach,,, you can tell just by looking at him rack the bar with no weight hes good, nothing else needed, and to me the hardest part of the clean is racking it proper and getting the wrist flexibility to lay it in there.  the lil jump, the front squat and the weight is easy after you get the rack position.
cleans are great, fun and exhausting, most people like oly lifts after they do them once
 8)

Lion666

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #21 on: July 05, 2010, 01:20:30 AM »
Using too much weight.
exactly and getting into the rack position, using lighter or the right weight lets you train it proper

Purple Aki

• Getbig IV
  • penisory contact with her volvo.
« Reply #22 on: July 05, 2010, 02:47:14 AM »
I like  dumbbell clean and press supersetted with burpees.

Twink Power!

#1 Klaus fan

• Getbig V
« Reply #23 on: July 05, 2010, 03:06:58 AM »
great for explosiveness, power, speed...

The great old deadlift is better for these in my opinion. The barbell speed and the weight used are pretty small in the power clean. Meaning it isn't particularly good for "true" explosiveness or used as a strength movement. It's a poor compromise between the two opposite ends.

spinnis

« Reply #24 on: July 05, 2010, 03:12:35 AM »