Author Topic: Need help with diet.  (Read 1484 times)

SF1900

• Getbig V
  • Team Hairy Chest Henda
Need help with diet.
« on: July 06, 2010, 05:19:45 PM »
So, since I'm a poor doctoral student I need to revamp my diet to save on food bill. I like red meat but it's rather expensive. I eat red meat on a fairly constant basis (also chicken). However, since I have to be careful with money, it is difficult to eat that much red meat and chicken, but I still want to try to eat both on a daily basis. Do you think it would be okay to offset red meat and chicken with other foods? For example, instead of eating a whole piece of steak or chicken (8-10 oz), chopping it into 3 smaller pieces and eating a piece a day with other foods at the same time.

This would be a sample diet. This is just off the top of my head--just an example. I would obviously need to hone the diet

Meal 1 - 2 scoops of whey protein, fruit.
Meal 2 - Half a piece of steak, 2-3 whole eggs.
Meal 3 - Half a piece of chicken, 2-3 whole eggs.
Meal 4 - same as meal 3, mixed nuts, whatever else.

Like I said, this is just a sample. Don't know what meal 5 and 6 would be.

So, since eggs are most likely cheaper in the long run, I'd be incorporating those more into each meal to offset the lack of protein I am getting from the smaller portions of meat and chicken. Think this would save money? Would it still be as effective? I mean, I know it comes down to genetics, etc. However, is a meal plan like this a total waste of time? Can you see it being somewhat beneficial.

Thanks for any help that is offered  :D

X

no one

• Getbig V
  • have i hurt your feelings?
Re: Need help with diet.
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2010, 05:24:46 PM »
So, since I'm a poor doctoral student I need to revamp my diet to save on food bill. I like red meat but it's rather expensive. I eat red meat on a fairly constant basis (also chicken). However, since I have to be careful with money, it is difficult to eat that much red meat and chicken, but I still want to try to eat both on a daily basis. Do you think it would be okay to offset red meat and chicken with other foods? For example, instead of eating a whole piece of steak or chicken (8-10 oz), chopping it into 3 smaller pieces and eating a piece a day with other foods at the same time.

This would be a sample diet. This is just off the top of my head--just an example. I would obviously need to hone the diet

So, since eggs are most likely cheaper in the long run, I'd be incorporating those more into each meal to offset the lack of protein I am getting from the smaller portions of meat and chicken. Think this would save money? Would it still be as effective? I mean, I know it comes down to genetics, etc. However, is a meal plan like this a total waste of time? Can you see it being somewhat beneficial.

why would you do this?

what is your logic?
b

SF1900

• Getbig V
  • Team Hairy Chest Henda
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2010, 05:30:28 PM »
why would you do this?

what is your logic?

Um, save money. I can't eat a whole piece of meat a day--so chopping it into smaller pieces and consuming it over multiple days would save money in the long run. No?
X

tendonitis

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2010, 05:38:06 PM »
cottage cheese is a good cheap protein, canned tuna also

no one

• Getbig V
  • have i hurt your feelings?
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2010, 05:38:50 PM »
Um, save money. I can't eat a whole piece of meat a day--so chopping it into smaller pieces and consuming it over multiple days would save money in the long run. No?

how does it save money- in your diet you are eating the same amount of meat / eggs / whey whether you eat it at as its own meal or over three meals.

it just makes no sense.

your still getting the same amount of protein a day over 4 meals as you would 6 if you eat your chicken/ steak/ eggs and whey as their own meal.

eating 3 hours apart, you'll be eating for 18 hours of the day with 6 meals- why? eat 5 meals throw in an extra 2 scoops of protein or 6 eggs in the last meal. surely to god you can afford an extra $1 to spend on protein for your last meal.

this isnt rocket science dude. dont over think it.
b

doozejooze

• Getbig II
  • Get bit
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2010, 05:38:59 PM »
Beans and rice should be added to substitute the lack of meat. Plant proteins added to animal proteins have a potentiating effect on the muscles. HTH, also the fiber in the beans is beneficial to keep the GI tract squeeky clean.
Rectum defendere!

Mr Nobody

• Getbig V
  • Falcon gives us new knowledge every single day.
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2010, 05:42:23 PM »

Aside from the meat try some beans and rice = a complete protein and cheap as hell. Throw on some hot sauce not too bad....

SF1900

• Getbig V
  • Team Hairy Chest Henda
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2010, 05:46:00 PM »
Yeah, I didn't think about the beans and rice  :D Assorted nuts are pretty inexpensive, especially if you buy in bulk.
X

Mr Nobody

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2010, 05:48:36 PM »
Yeah, I didn't think about the beans and rice  :D Assorted nuts are pretty inexpensive, especially if you buy in bulk.
Yes but they are a complete protein they have to be combined. Also pretty high in fat.

SF1900

• Getbig V
  • Team Hairy Chest Henda
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2010, 05:50:57 PM »
Yes but they are a complete protein they have to be combined. Also pretty high in fat.

What do you mean by this?
X

doozejooze

• Getbig II
  • Get bit
« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2010, 05:52:14 PM »
Beans and rice or any legume and grain do not need to be eaten the same day for most people, in the same 24-70 hour period would be enough. Nuts are pretty low in protein but high in fat, Omega 3 and 6, and are great sources of trace minerals, very important for connective tissue integrity of u are gonna be lifting hard and heavy.
Rectum defendere!

Mr Nobody

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2010, 05:53:22 PM »
What do you mean by this?
Some proteins dont have all the amino acids so you have to combine other proteins with them to get all the aminos.

NaturalWonder83

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2010, 05:58:21 PM »
canned sardines and canned fish
eggs and egg whites
turkey
chicken thighs
big bags of frozen veggies
apples
oats
rice beans
nuts
pasta
peanut butter

really not that expensive
w

Mr Nobody

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2010, 06:03:41 PM »
canned sardines and canned fish
eggs and egg whites
turkey
chicken thighs
big bags of frozen veggies
apples
oats
rice beans
nuts
pasta
peanut butter

really not that expensive
A good list Gene but the sardines I cant cant the smell, they could attract mice as well.

NaturalWonder83

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: July 06, 2010, 06:19:18 PM »
A good list Gene but the sardines I cant cant the smell, they could attract mice as well.
i also found out u need to rinse the cans out b4 u put them in the recycle bin cuz they will really really smell up the bin baaad
w

Mr Nobody

• Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: July 06, 2010, 06:22:20 PM »
i also found out u need to rinse the cans out b4 u put them in the recycle bin cuz they will really really smell up the bin baaad
Wrap them in a grocery bag tie the bag up gives you a couple extra days before having to dump them  8)

NaturalWonder83

• Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: July 06, 2010, 06:27:43 PM »
Wrap them in a grocery bag tie the bag up gives you a couple extra days before having to dump them  8)
thats a good idea
w

che

• Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: July 06, 2010, 06:49:52 PM »
rice and tuna 6 x times a day ,good luck .

SF1900

• Getbig V
  • Team Hairy Chest Henda
« Reply #18 on: July 06, 2010, 07:00:25 PM »

:( :(
X

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
« Reply #19 on: July 06, 2010, 07:12:28 PM »
why would you do this?

what is your logic?

x2

SF1900

• Getbig V
  • Team Hairy Chest Henda
« Reply #20 on: July 06, 2010, 07:16:24 PM »
x2

I bet Obama knows the answer!!  >:( >:( ;D
X

kevinf

• Getbig III
« Reply #21 on: July 06, 2010, 07:31:51 PM »
your plan looks fine, dont go crazy gettin 300g or some ridiculous amount of protein if your natty. 1g per 1 lb of lean mass should be sufficient. and yea for cheap good protein get eggs..Costco has 72 eggs for like $6 bucks. thats alot of meals right there!

SF1900

• Getbig V
  • Team Hairy Chest Henda
« Reply #22 on: July 06, 2010, 07:37:17 PM »
your plan looks fine, dont go crazy gettin 300g or some ridiculous amount of protein if your natty. 1g per 1 lb of lean mass should be sufficient. and yea for cheap good protein get eggs..Costco has 72 eggs for like $6 bucks. thats alot of meals right there!

Costco is awesome. Love that place  :D
X

YngiweRhoads

• Getbig V
  • Shreddin'
« Reply #23 on: July 06, 2010, 10:19:35 PM »

Surefire way to get mercury poisoning.

2 cans a week, max, is the current recommendation.

All large predatory fish at the high on the food chain contain high amounts of mercury these days. Sad for us, but even sadder for the fish.

Go figure...even BB.com had an article about this when I Googled the latest news. http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/mroussell5.htm

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
« Reply #24 on: July 06, 2010, 10:30:34 PM »
I bet Obama knows the answer!!  >:( >:( ;D

Give it time, he'll design the diet, tell you what to eat and when to eat it.