Author Topic: This Marriage Will Go Down In Flames  (Read 267 times)

SAMSON123

• Getbig V
This Marriage Will Go Down In Flames
« on: July 08, 2010, 06:55:39 PM »
And I can tell you right now which one will be the protagonist for the problems...Oy!

New Jersey Town Elects Muslim Mayor, Jewish Deputy A First In The U.S.

Updated: Tuesday, 06 Jul 2010, 9:55 PM EDT
Published : Tuesday, 06 Jul 2010, 9:55 PM EDT

A suburban New Jersey township elected a Muslim mayor and an Orthodox Jewish man as his deputy in what was thought to be a nationwide first, U.S. broadcaster ABC reported Tuesday.

Teaneck's nonpartisan Township Council voted to appoint both men last week to the two-year positions.

The community of about 39,000 people -- which has large African-American, Jewish and Muslim populations -- was also one of the first places to voluntarily integrate its public schools during the civil rights movement of the 1960s and 1970s.

The early experience with multiculturalism paid off, according to the newly-installed leader.

"Nowhere else is this possible. The opportunity to bring two communities together and break down stereotypes that have belittled our nation is both monumental and humbling," said Mohammed Hameeduddin, the township's first Muslim mayor.

"With Obama the attack was, 'Is he a closet Muslim? Does he have ties to terrorism? Did he study in a madrasas?'" he said. "In Teaneck, it's about policy."

Hameeduddin and deputy mayor Adam Gussen said their main challenge would not be racial harmony, but balancing the local budget while keeping a lid on rising property prices.

"Everybody feels the same financial pain no matter your color or creed. Everyone feels the same concerns of poorly maintained roads or whether park equipment is functional or not," Gussen said.

Teaneck's new leaders attended middle school together there and went on to Rutgers University before returning to their hometown and becoming active in its government.
C

Skip8282

• Getbig V
Re: This Marriage Will Go Down In Flames
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2010, 07:18:29 PM »
And I can tell you right now which one will be the protagonist for the problems...

I agree, those Muslims can be a real pain in the ass sometimes.

drkaje

• Getbig V
  • Quiet, Err. I'm transmitting rage.
Re: This Marriage Will Go Down In Flames
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2010, 03:41:02 AM »
Is this even news or just more BS to help people feel more bigoted?