Author Topic: Half of Americans Oppose Obama's Immigration Lawsuit  (Read 2238 times)

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
Half of Americans Oppose Obama's Immigration Lawsuit
« on: July 10, 2010, 06:54:49 PM »
The president out of step with the majority of the country, again. 

Half of Americans Oppose Obama's Immigration Lawsuit
Saturday, 10 Jul 2010   

WASHINGTON – Half of Americans reject President Barack Obama's lawsuit against Arizona's controversial immigration law, with only a third supporting the move, according to a Gallup poll.

With key midterm elections just around the corner in November, the Obama administration is facing strong support for the law, which makes it a crime to be in the state -- bordering Mexico -- without proper immigration papers.

"Emotions run high on both sides of the issue," Gallup said. "The substantial majority of those in favor and those opposed to the lawsuit say they feel strongly about their position."

It noted that those who followed news about the law most closely were most likely to oppose it.

Obama's Democratic administration is seeking an injunction through the Justice Department to stop the Arizona law from going into effect on July 29, slamming it as unconstitutional, abusive and divisive.

Nearly eight in 10 Republicans (79 percent) opposed the lawsuit, while 56 percent of Democrats were in favor of the Obama administration's decision.

Overall, 50 percent of Americans said they were against the move, compared to 33 percent in favor.

Other polls have also shown strong national support for Arizona's measure, the first law making illegal immigration a state crime.

"The Obama administration is sailing against the tide of public opinion in its efforts to block the law, although members of Obama's own party certainly support the administration," Gallup said.

But the political implications of the federal government's decision are "difficult to predict with precision" with less than four months remaining before legislative and gubernatorial elections, it added.

http://www.newsmax.com/InsideCover/illegal-immigration-lawsuit-gallup/2010/07/10/id/364274

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
Re: Half of Americans Oppose Obama's Immigration Lawsuit
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2010, 06:56:30 PM »
The Iraq War was right... even when the majority of Americans opposed it.

pro nitrousADRL

• Getbig III
  • put more nitrous on that, it still has spark plugs
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2010, 07:02:01 PM »
when the war in iraq started and war was declaired, 69% of america supported it    so try again

by Jeffrey M. Jones, Gallup Poll Managing Editor
For nearly his entire presidency, Americans have given George W. Bush higher marks for his handling of foreign affairs than for his handling of the economy. By way of comparison, ratings of the elder George Bush showed a similar-- but more pronounced -- division, but ratings of Bill Clinton and Ronald Reagan were generally similar on the two dimensions.

So far in his administration, George W. Bush has averaged a 63% approval rating on foreign affairs, and a 55% approval rating on the economy. This is not surprising given that the economy has been slow throughout Bush's tenure in office, but he has had some visible international successes in the war on terrorism and in Iraq. As the graph below shows, Bush's ratings on the two measures were running about even until the Sept. 11 terrorist attacks. At that time, both ratings spiked, but the spike was larger for Bush's foreign affairs rating than for his economic rating. And since that time, Americans have continued to rate Bush more positively on foreign affairs than on the economy. His most recent approval ratings, taken from a May 5-7 Gallup Poll, are 68% on foreign affairs and 53% on the economy.

it took g.b  4-5 years before  he saw 50% and below. everything bam bam does  hasnt even started at 50% and he hasnt even been in office 2 years.  hmmmmmmm!!!!!!!

down with hussein

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2010, 07:17:55 PM »
when the war in iraq started and war was declaired, 69% of america supported it    so try again

Gallup Poll: Iraq War A "Mistake," Says 58 % Of US Public
Jul 17, 2009

I see... so the INITIAL support for Immigration bill is all that matters?  :)

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2010, 07:19:31 PM »
when the war in iraq started and war was declaired, 69% of america supported it    so try again

by Jeffrey M. Jones, Gallup Poll Managing Editor
For nearly his entire presidency, Americans have given George W. Bush higher marks for his handling of foreign affairs than for his handling of the economy. By way of comparison, ratings of the elder George Bush showed a similar-- but more pronounced -- division, but ratings of Bill Clinton and Ronald Reagan were generally similar on the two dimensions.

So far in his administration, George W. Bush has averaged a 63% approval rating on foreign affairs, and a 55% approval rating on the economy. This is not surprising given that the economy has been slow throughout Bush's tenure in office, but he has had some visible international successes in the war on terrorism and in Iraq. As the graph below shows, Bush's ratings on the two measures were running about even until the Sept. 11 terrorist attacks. At that time, both ratings spiked, but the spike was larger for Bush's foreign affairs rating than for his economic rating. And since that time, Americans have continued to rate Bush more positively on foreign affairs than on the economy. His most recent approval ratings, taken from a May 5-7 Gallup Poll, are 68% on foreign affairs and 53% on the economy.

it took g.b  4-5 years before  he saw 50% and below. everything bam bam does  hasnt even started at 50% and he hasnt even been in office 2 years.  hmmmmmmm!!!!!!!

Don't try and confuse people with the facts. 

pro nitrousADRL

• Getbig III
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2010, 07:21:20 PM »
Don't try and confuse people with the facts.

I am sorry beach lol  what was i thinking   ;D
down with hussein

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2010, 07:22:21 PM »

IMO, and in the opinion of most getbiggers, 58% of Americans were WRONG in this case, right?

pro nitrousADRL

• Getbig III
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2010, 07:26:43 PM »
yes i know that was said years later,  i am talking about when it started.  my point is   at the start of the war g.b had 69%  of americans support,  everything obama does he has never had 50% at the start. and as we learned with bush it goes down hill from there,  so where do you think bam bams approval will be on this lawsuit 6 months from now??  it took bush 4-5 years before americans disapproved of the war as much as they disapprove of everything obama does before he even does it.
down with hussein

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2010, 07:35:38 PM »
yes i know that was said years later,  i am talking about when it started.  my point is   at the start of the war g.b had 69%  of americans support,  everything obama does he has never had 50% at the start. and as we learned with bush it goes down hill from there,  so where do you think bam bams approval will be on this lawsuit 6 months from now??  it took bush 4-5 years before americans disapproved of the war as much as they disapprove of everything obama does before he even does it.

actually, I thought it was something like 70% or something higher.... support for this AZ bill.

So if we're down to only half of americans against the continuance of the bill.

That's a 40% support (or so) drop in a month? 

pro nitrousADRL

• Getbig III
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2010, 07:39:57 PM »
i dont know the current numbers that support the az bill i just looked and i see 68-74% on just about every poll i can find .  i also saw polls that varied 39-47% support bam bams lawsuit
down with hussein

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2010, 07:57:57 PM »
if support for the bill (which should be close to those who oppose this lawsuit) has dropped 20 points... that's a huge deal.

It means that 40% of the people who liked this bill don't like it anymore.

If 40% of supporters change their mind on it within a summer, it sure doesn't bode well for when this bill kicks in, and we start to see (exagerrated but nonetheless visible) daily reminders of this bill being abused.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Doesnt lie about lifting.
« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2010, 09:01:28 PM »
240 - just talk to the average guy out there, they hate obama and illegal aliens and amnesty and appluad AZ.  Its only people who are borderline schizo like yourself on this who are opposed to the AZ law but somehow rationalize leg breaking no questions asked. 

pro nitrousADRL

• Getbig III
« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2010, 09:25:41 PM »
I travel the country every week and i have yet to find someone who supports anything bam bam does,  and i talk to all ages genders race, guess i need to go to the welfare office to find his supporters
down with hussein

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2010, 09:35:47 PM »
Obama vs. Arizona: The President is fighting a reckless war that will backfire politically
NY Daily News ^ | 07/08/10 | Andrea Tantaros

Posted on Friday, July 09, 2010 1:50:32 AM by KentTrappedInLiberalSeat tle

The Obama administration is getting quite the reputation for bucking the wishes of the people. From pushing through an unpopular health care bill to imposing a moratorium on offshore drilling that's costing the already-suffering gulf region precious jobs, it has refused to back down when it comes to the will of the masses.

Now, President Obama's Justice Department has decided to sue the State of Arizona over its new law targeting illegal aliens, when a majority of the public favors the legislation, leaving many to wonder if the increasingly detached White House has gone too far.

The administration says its lawsuit is all about the law; Arizona, it says, is trying to enforce immigration statutes - which is the federal government's job alone.

It's hard to believe from a President who has already shaken the finger of moral disapproval at the bill.

Rather, anyone with basic political sense can see the move for what it is: a purely political maneuver intended to invigorate Hispanic voters - a key piece of the Democratic base - in time for the November elections. Obama is hoping that a bloody judicial showdown on immigration will translate into high turnout for Democrats. And that could be enough to sustain Democratic majorities in Congress.

Don't count on it. For the strategy to work, registered Hispanic voters would need to turn out in droves over what essentially boils down to a nuanced debate between federal versus states' rights.

While some legal Latinos will buy the concern that the bill could lead to racial profiling - an outcome the Arizona law strictly forbids - most likely voters are overwhelmingly against illegal immigration. Even if some find the Arizona law abhorrent, it won't likely be enough to counter the majority of Americans who side with the Grand Canyon State and would favor a similar law in their own states.

According to a Pew Research Center poll conducted May 6 to 9, nearly six in 10 voters favor the Arizona legislation, the broadest support in favor of the requirement that people produce documents verifying their legal status. A whopping 86% of Republicans, 65% of Democrats and 73% of independents back that provision.

When it comes to immigration, most Americans want the border secured first and foremost. But securing the border would take the immediacy of the immigration issue off the table. You see, Obama needs the border as a carrot to pass a larger bill in Congress that gives amnesty.

Think about it. What sounds better: "The Protect Our Borders Now Act" or the "Amnesty for Everyone Bill"? Without serious provisions that address border security, any such legislation is unlikely to pass, particularly if the GOP gains seats in the fall or takes control of the House of Representatives, something Obama is expecting, with the help of Hispanics, not to happen.

And so, in an effort to maintain and expand the Democratic base, Obama risks support within it. A sharp divide among the unions could ensue as it did in 2007 during the last immigration fight if blue-collar workers believe Obama is favoring illegal aliens who take their jobs and refusing to stand up for the suffering American worker.

With unemployment hovering at almost 10%, a bitter battle between two levels of government is unprecedented and unnecessary. Voters want action on the economy, not more federal government overreaching. A very public power struggle between the President and one of the states in the Union is not likely to play well, especially because it's Washington that has dropped the ball when it comes to tackling the out-of-control issue of illegal immigration.

Declaring war on the State of Arizona is one thing. Declaring war on the State of Arizona while the economy is on the verge of bankruptcy and a double-dip recession is another. Restoring jobs and economic and national security should be the President's top concerns. If he doesn't change course, it'll be him who is on trial next in the court of public opinion.

quadzilla456

• Time Out
  • Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2010, 09:37:49 PM »
240 - just talk to the average guy out there, they hate obama and illegal aliens and amnesty and appluad AZ.  Its only people who are borderline schizo like yourself on this who are opposed to the AZ law but somehow rationalize leg breaking no questions asked. 
240 has admitted that he has been shit on more times by whites than minorities - that should tell you something about his mindset. How 240 could even begin to defend illegals just fucking blows my mind. He will probably say it is because there is nothing you can do about it. That is a defeatist attitude. If Americans had this attitude when they fought Britain America would never have won Independence.

ToxicAvenger

• Getbig V
  • I thawt I taw a twat!
« Reply #15 on: July 10, 2010, 10:03:50 PM »

difference...since we live in America its NOT OK when OUR country gets invaded...

damn rob...
carpe` vaginum!

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: July 11, 2010, 04:17:22 AM »
I'm just arguing the 'the majority is always right' mentality.

you guys think I'm defending illegals?  LMAO!  I'm all for brekaing their legs and dropping them at the south tip of mexico.

No, I'm just arguing the "50% of americans agree with it - which proves it is the right thing!" argument.  It's a terrible argument.  The majority of americans probably once backed a lot of shitty things.  I dont like this bill - but that damn sure doesnt mean I like illegals.  Ya know?  I dislike it because I dont think a single legal americans should be 'detained' for "only" having a valid state DL.  No american should have to carry a birth cert.  That's some bullshit.

It's not about defending illegals.  You can catapult the proven illegals back over the border for all I care.  Find a way to bust them without violating the rights of legal americans.  They catch millions already every year WITHOUT this law, right?  Do your job feds, kick them out, period.

drkaje

• Getbig V
  • Quiet, Err. I'm transmitting rage.
« Reply #17 on: July 11, 2010, 05:07:54 AM »

How was it right?

They were better off with Saddam. At least with him suicide bomber's entire family would go into the woodchipper and their houses destroyed.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #18 on: July 11, 2010, 08:14:18 AM »

you guys think I'm defending illegals?  LMAO!  I'm all for brekaing their legs and dropping them at the south tip of mexico.

No, I'm just arguing the "50% of americans agree with it - which proves it is the right thing!" argument.  It's a terrible argument.  The majority of americans probably once backed a lot of shitty things.  I dont like this bill - but that damn sure doesnt mean I like illegals.  Ya know?  I dislike it because I dont think a single legal americans should be 'detained' for "only" having a valid state DL.  No american should have to carry a birth cert.  That's some bullshit.

It's not about defending illegals.  You can catapult the proven illegals back over the border for all I care.  Find a way to bust them without violating the rights of legal americans.  They catch millions already every year WITHOUT this law, right?  Do your job feds, kick them out, period.

The lawsuit is a joke and this admn is doing it solely to try to stop states from kicking these invaders out. 

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #19 on: July 11, 2010, 08:45:08 AM »
The lawsuit is a joke and this admn is doing it solely to try to stop states from kicking these invaders out. 

Agreed - if the feds had done their job, AZ wouldn't have had to enact this legislation.

But the point of this thread - the % must be right - is a flawed point.  The majority is wrong at times.

drkaje

• Getbig V
  • Quiet, Err. I'm transmitting rage.
« Reply #20 on: July 11, 2010, 09:01:54 AM »
It's doubtful a majority of Americans even know what the federal law suit is about.

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #21 on: July 11, 2010, 09:13:56 AM »

LOL so youre for breaking illegals legs before deporting them but youre against being able to ascertain if they are illegal?  ::) ::) ::)

cool so how do we know who is illegal?

americans shouldnt have to carry a birth cert youre right but they shouldnt have to b/c the states should require proof of citizen ship to obtain legal id...call your state representatives and get them to enforce the laws...

you say we can catapult proven illegals back but you dont give us a way of proving they are illegal  ::) ::) ::)

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #22 on: July 11, 2010, 09:49:18 AM »
cool so how do we know who is illegal?

curerntly, without the AZ law, we catch millions of illegals each year, right?

(actually deporting their asses doesn't happen quick enough, of course)

BM OUT

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #23 on: July 12, 2010, 07:13:15 AM »

Thats funny,because just about every post you put up about Obama you quote polls showing his approval rating.I guess polls are only relevant when they back up your points.Care to look at the polls that support his stimulus plan and if it created jobs.Last time I looked that was at 6%.I guess everyone is wrong.

Colossus_500

• Getbig IV
  • Psalm 139
« Reply #24 on: July 12, 2010, 08:10:23 AM »

IMO, and in the opinion of most getbiggers, 58% of Americans were WRONG in this case, right?

Now, what this before or AFTER folks actually got the true facts?

Me thinks it was definitely BEFORE!