Author Topic: Obama leaning heavily on Bill Clinton for election help  (Read 1503 times)

Fury

• Getbig V
  • All aboard the USS Leverage
Obama leaning heavily on Bill Clinton for election help
« on: July 13, 2010, 07:13:12 PM »
Washington (CNN) -- Facing a bruising midterm election in less than four months, President Barack Obama's aides are putting together an aggressive schedule to deploy former President Bill Clinton at campaign and fundraising events in key states around the country, according to Democratic officials familiar with the plans.

"It's a no-brainer you would use one of the most talented politicians the country has ever had," said one Democratic official familiar with the discussions. "There are few as good at laying out the contrast with Republicans."

There has been speculation Clinton might not be used that frequently because of lingering frostiness between the two presidents dating to the divisive days of the 2008 campaign. But the two camps tried to put any such tension to rest in recent weeks at a quiet White House meeting between Clinton aide Doug Band and White House Political Director Patrick Gaspard, according to officials familiar with the discussions.

Sources said Band and Gaspard met right after the former president's surprise decision in late June to buck Obama and endorse former Colorado House Speaker Andrew Romanoff in a hotly-contested U.S. Senate primary. Obama had already endorsed incumbent Sen. Michael Bennet in the Democratic primary and only learned of Clinton's move after-the-fact.

When Robert Gibbs was asked at the time if the White House would like to be notified of such an endorsement earlier in the process, the press secretary responded, "Before you guys? Sure."

In addition to smoothing things over at the White House meeting, Democratic officials told CNN the Clinton and Obama teams mapped out an ambitious schedule to get Clinton on the campaign trail as often as possible in between his foreign travels to such hot spots as Haiti.

"We want whatever we can get from him," said one of the senior Democratic officials involved in the conversations.

Democratic officials told CNN the White House specifically wants to use Clinton in key swing states where Obama is not particularly popular, such as Arkansas and Kentucky. In his home state of Arkansas, Clinton
already helped Democratic Sen. Blanche Lincoln survive an intense primary challenge earlier this year and will now be used to help save the incumbent in an even tougher general election match-up with Republican John Boozman.

Clinton also will be used in Kentucky, where the White House has high hopes of picking up a seat with Democratic nominee Jack Conway facing Republican Rand Paul, who has been engulfed in a series of controversies.

"I think he and President Obama will be a good one-two punch," added a second senior Democratic official.

The second official noted that Obama cannot travel to every single congressional district over the next four months, and there are some specific regions where Obama would not go over well but Clinton could play better. Clinton recently campaigned tirelessly in Arkansas, a state that Obama lost badly to Sen. John McCain, R-Arizona, in 2008, to help Lincoln survive a runoff.

In May, the former president also campaigned for Mark Critz, the Democratic candidate in the special election to fill the late Democratic Rep. John Murtha's Pennsylvania seat. Clinton got a lot of credit among Democrats after Critz defeated Republican Tim Burns, giving the party a shot in the arm in a difficult year.

Democratic officials also say that Clinton's campaigning could fit well into the narrative that Obama has been focusing on in recent days about how he inherited an economic mess from former President George W.

Bush and now believes the midterm election is a choice between going back to failed policies or moving forward on policies that could help pull the U.S. out of recession.

"Let's not forget that Bill Clinton was the last Democratic president who had to clean things up after years of Republican rule," said one senior Democratic official. "Clinton made tough choices that created [budget] surpluses. He can go out there and say, 'Look, I've lived this.' He's got a lot to offer because it's like an eyewitness account to what the country will look like if Republicans get in charge -- the obstruction, the investigations."

http://edition.cnn.com/2010/POLITICS/07/13/obama.clinton/index.html?eref=igoogle_cnn&fbid=_SsLk6TKlEk

The Messiah's bringing out the "big guns".

Montague

• Getbig V
  • The black degelation does not know this nig - V.G.
Re: Obama leaning heavily on Bill Clinton for election help
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2010, 07:37:55 PM »
The truth is this:
If Hussein was doing such a great job, he wouldn’t have to still be blaming asshole Bush for all the current problems.
And, he wouldn’t have to rely on a President from 17 years ago to drum up a positive image for his party.

Barry O. takes no accountability for anything because he‘s not succeeded at one, single substantial thing.   

GigantorX

• Getbig V
  • GetBig's A-Team is the Light of Truth!
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2010, 07:42:40 PM »

"Let's not forget that Bill Clinton was the last Democratic president who had to clean things up after years of Republican rule," said one senior Democratic official. "Clinton made tough choices that created [budget] surpluses. He can go out there and say, 'Look, I've lived this.' He's got a lot to offer because it's like an eyewitness account to what the country will look like if Republicans get in charge -- the obstruction, the investigations."

http://edition.cnn.com/2010/POLITICS/07/13/obama.clinton/index.html?eref=igoogle_cnn&fbid=_SsLk6TKlEk

The Messiah's bringing out the "big guns".

That "Unnamed Democratic Official" should at least try to get some of the the facts straight.

1.) There was never a surplus and he never balanced the budget and the national debt went up every single year he was in office.

2.) If Clinton had his way he would have further spent the nation into oblivion. His budget and spending attitude changed once the Republicans took control of both Houses.

Fury

• Getbig V
  • All aboard the USS Leverage
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2010, 07:48:09 PM »
The truth is this:
If Hussein was doing such a great job, he wouldn’t have to still be blaming asshole Bush for all the current problems.
And, he wouldn’t have to rely on a President from 17 years ago to drum up a positive image for his party.

Barry O. takes no accountability for anything because he‘s not succeeded at one, single substantial thing.   

1.5 years into his term and he thinks he still gets a free pass to do whatever he pleases. And he's thrown everyone from his former pastor in Wright to a decorated hero in Bolden under the bus. When the next big issue blows up in his face (probably immigration) I'm sure he'll hang that around someone else's neck (I'm betting Holder).  ::)

That "Unnamed Democratic Official" should at least try to get some of the the facts straight.

1.) There was never a surplus and he never balanced the budget and the national debt went up every single year he was in office.

2.) If Clinton had his way he would have further spent the nation into oblivion. His budget and spending attitude changed once the Republicans took control of both Houses.

Exactly. The best work gets done when neither side has complete control. And let's not forget that the economy was already tanking when Clinton left office.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2010, 08:28:30 PM »
everybody blames the last guy.

all we heard after 911 was how it was clinton's fault.

i hate clinbton, but that shit was bush's fault.

we'll hear obama blame everything on W, then we'll hear Prez Thune blame the mess on Obama.

It is what it is... always been this way

BM OUT

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2010, 06:45:55 AM »
I wonder how Obama is going to feel when Hillary challenges him in 2012?

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Doesnt lie about lifting.
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2010, 06:57:44 AM »

1.  Hillary was robbed, and i can't believe I'm saying this, but was hampered by her not lying so easily as obama did.  i posted a few clips yesterday in the Nasa thread showing this.  Obama is the consumate liar and fraud and the media and guilt ridden whites and race obsessed minorities aided and abbetted these lies just to get the "the first african american" into office.  

2.  For Hillary - its now or never.  By 2016 she will be too old.  

3.  For Bill - he called is straight the first time - Obama is a fairy tale.  The supporters of Obama are like little children who still believe in Santa and the Easter Bunny.  They eat up anything from this pied piper.  

This video is a perfect illustration of obama and his supporters.  

Clinton:  "Obama is a fairy tale" 

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2010, 07:37:35 AM »
Bill & Hillary warned everyone many times. 

This is the longer version.  Bill calls it straight, for once.   

Hillary nails it on this. 

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2010, 07:55:10 AM »

LOL @ people parroting the FOX chat story "Hilary in 2012"...

I think it'd be more of a gradual transition, rather than a challenge.  She'd be resigning her job pretty damn soon if she was gonna start a campaign next year.

Instead, I think Obama would say "ya know, I would like to spend more time with my family" and turn it over to hilary.  that would be a NIGHTMARE for the Republicans.  Remember - a lot of them VOTED hilary to mess with obama in 2008.  A lot of them have spent the last 18 months talking about how Hilary would have done such a great job.  Plus a bunch of you softie "repubs" even on getbig were Clinton voters in 92. 

So yes... Obama may be beatable in 2012... but Hilary would knock the shit out of a Palin in a debate, let's be honest.  A male canddiate can't attack a female candidate too hard - but a female candidate could show her what TOUGH really means. 

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2010, 08:11:42 AM »
240 - after watching my clips of Bill & Hill - do you agree that she got screwed and Bama skated his way to the presidency with lies the media refused to call him on?