Author Topic: Christian Persecution in the US...Fact or Fiction  (Read 1494 times)

Agnostic007

• Getbig V
Christian Persecution in the US...Fact or Fiction
« on: July 22, 2010, 07:06:08 AM »
I grew up in the bible belt so my perspective is probably a little different than people from more liberal parts of the country. I grew up a Christian, so I never gave much thought to what non christians were subjected to or excluded from. Since becoming an agnostic, and on ocassion an atheist, depending on my mood, I have felt the stigmatism of being an outsider. I can't recall even knowing an atheist or agnostic growing up. All my friends, family, neighbors and co workers were Christian, or if they weren't sure didn't let on they werent.
I remember the first time since becoming an agnostic, I stated so in a conversation about God. I recall being very surprised at how fast the crowd of co workers turned on me. And by "turned on me" I don't mean it in a physically violent, or verbally abusive manner with profanity and excited hand gestures but in the questions and underlying accusations like "Why did you turn your back on God?" "Why are you mad at God?" or "The fool says there is no God". Or "You just wanna go around and do whatever you want without consequences" like I dropped my belief in god so I could party (Like they weren't?) Somehow it was my fault I didnt believe and obviously I wasn't mentally all there.
I discovered that "Atheist" was akin to "Satanist". I also discovered that there were some closet agnostics and atheists that would confide in me that they didn't believe either, but not to tell anyone because they were concerned about the consequences with friends and job opportunities. I discovered that to hold a political office you had to "believe in a supreme being" it's actually listed as a requirement in Texas.
I discovered that even though I didnt believe, if I attended any government function such as promotional or retirement or graduation ceremonies I would have to bow my head and listen to someone pray to Jesus, even if the crowd had Muslims or Buddhist present. I learned that everyone upon meeting you, would just assume you believed as they did and unless you said otherwise, you were assumed Christian.
So having been on both sides of the fence, I have to wonder when a Christian from the bible belt complains about "being persecuted" ... How exactly does this work? Can you imagine an atheist running for president? Governor? They wouldnt stand a chance..

The above is my perspective. I have met christians who were very open and friendly to me regardless of my personal belief or lack thereof. But in the general sense, and using the word persecution very loosely, if any group is being persecuted in the US, it's not the Christians.. 

Butterbean

• Getbig V
Re: Christian Persecution in the US...Fact or Fiction
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2010, 07:51:57 AM »
I grew up in the bible belt so my perspective is probably a little different than people from more liberal parts of the country. I grew up a Christian, so I never gave much thought to what non christians were subjected to or excluded from. Since becoming an agnostic, and on ocassion an atheist, depending on my mood, I have felt the stigmatism of being an outsider. I can't recall even knowing an atheist or agnostic growing up. All my friends, family, neighbors and co workers were Christian, or if they weren't sure didn't let on they werent.
I remember the first time since becoming an agnostic, I stated so in a conversation about God. I recall being very surprised at how fast the crowd of co workers turned on me. And by "turned on me" I don't mean it in a physically violent, or verbally abusive manner with profanity and excited hand gestures but in the questions and underlying accusations like "Why did you turn your back on God?" "Why are you mad at God?" or "The fool says there is no God". Or "You just wanna go around and do whatever you want without consequences" like I dropped my belief in god so I could party (Like they weren't?) Somehow it was my fault I didnt believe and obviously I wasn't mentally all there.

My best friend growing up was atheist/agnostic (till she was around 30 ) so I can't really relate to people feeling like they needed to "hide" their atheist/ag beliefs.

I discovered that "Atheist" was akin to "Satanist".  

According to a Satanist that used to post here, the above is correct.  He said something along the lines of Satanists are really Atheists/Humanists (not believing in God or Satan).  I can find the thread if you want me to link you..it's very interesting!

I discovered that even though I didnt believe, if I attended any government function such as promotional or retirement or graduation ceremonies I would have to bow my head and listen to someone pray to Jesus, even if the crowd had Muslims or Buddhist present.

I don't always bow my head...I don't think anyone would be mad if you didn't bow your head :)

I don't even think people are always listening/praying along.  It's more sitting respectfully/quietly while the others pray to their God.

So having been on both sides of the fence, I have to wonder when a Christian from the bible belt complains about "being persecuted" ... How exactly does this work? Can you imagine an atheist running for president? Governor? They wouldnt stand a chance..

When Christians from the bible belt say they are "being persecuted" maybe they just feel harassed by comments made from non-believers....kind of like that guy in the other thread seems to feel harassed by public prayer.  To me the word persecution would indicate something bigger, and worse...like how Christians are treated in some other countries..but I guess the definition could encompass diff people's diff. opinions on the matter.

per·se·cute (pûrs-kyt)
tr.v. per·se·cut·ed, per·se·cut·ing, per·se·cutes
1. To oppress or harass with ill-treatment, especially because of race, religion, gender, sexual orientation, or beliefs.
2. To annoy persistently; bother.

Also, I wouldn't have a problem voting for an atheist if we we on the same side on most issues and I felt he/she was a good candidate.  
R

Agnostic007

• Getbig V
Re: Christian Persecution in the US...Fact or Fiction
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2010, 08:04:45 AM »
Good post Stella.

Yeah, "Satanic" would have been a better word choice than "satanist" I was reading about satanist a few years back and learned that technically they just believe in themselves, or putting themselves first, no gods or devils involved. It was about the same time I learned that Anton Levey, head of the blah blah Satanic Church in San Francisco died alone, broke and his famous black house wouldn't sell and was falling apart, destroyed by vandals etc etc.

I'm glad your open minded enough to vote for an atheist, that kind of surprised me, in a good way