Author Topic: Liberal Hypocrisy like this is beyond contemptible. (J Kerry cheating on taxes )  (Read 4187 times)

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Doesnt lie about lifting.
Sen. John Kerry skips town on sails tax
By Gayle Fee and Laura Raposa
Friday, July 23, 2010 - Updated 2 hours ago
http://bostonherald.com/track/inside_track/view.bg?articleid=1269698

________________________ ________________________ ________________________ ____

Sen. John Kerry, who has repeatedly voted to raise taxes while in Congress, dodged a whopping six-figure state tax bill on his new multimillion-dollar yacht by mooring her in Newport, R.I.

Isabel - Kerry’s luxe, 76-foot New Zealand-built Friendship sloop with an Edwardian-style, glossy varnished teak interior, two VIP main cabins and a pilothouse fitted with a wet bar and cold wine storage - was designed by Rhode Island boat designer Ted Fontaine.

But instead of berthing the vessel in Nantucket, where the senator summers with the missus, Teresa Heinz, Isabel’s hailing port is listed as “Newport” on her stern.

Could the reason be that the Ocean State repealed its Boat Sales and Use Tax back in 1993, making the tiny state to the south a haven - like the Cayman Islands, Bermuda and Nassau - for tax-skirting luxury yacht owners?

Cash-strapped Massachusetts still collects a 6.25 percent sales tax and an annual excise tax on yachts. Sources say Isabel sold for something in the neighborhood of $7 million, meaning Kerry saved approximately $437,500 in sales tax and an annual excise tax of about $70,000.

The senior senator’s chief of staff David Wade denied the old salt was berthing his boat out of state to avoid ponying up to the commonwealth.

“The boat was designed by and purchased from a company in Rhode Island, and it’s based in Newport at the Newport Shipyard for long-term maintenance, upkeep and charter purposes, not tax reasons,” Wade told the Track.

And state Department of Revenue spokesguy Bob Bliss confirmed the senator “is under no obligation to pay the commonwealth sales tax.”

But back in 2006, then-gubernatorial candidate Christy Mihos took some flack for avoiding some $23,000 in Bay State sales tax and $1,320 in local excise taxes by berthing his motor yacht in Rhode Island. But Mihos paid just $475,000 for his 36-foot vessel Ashley and readily admitted that he used the boat at his West Yarmouth summer home.

However, according to Bliss, if Kerry berths the Isabel in Massachusetts waters within six months of purchasing the boat, there’s a “presumption of use” and the Heinz-Kerrys would have to walk the plank and pony up to the Bay State. After six months, should the boat change its berth to, say, Nantucket, then it’s up to the state to go after them for the taxes, Bliss added.

Yesterday, the Isabel, which lists Great Point LLC of Pittsburgh, Penn., as its owner, was getting a spruce-up at the Hinckley shipyard in Portsmouth, R.I. Sources say the senior senator is demanding that some warranty work be done.

Fontaine, a protege of legendary sailboat designer Ted Hood, was tight-lipped about the owners of Isabel but he did confirm the boat was built in New Zealand. According to Internet reports, Kerry was seen in Whangarei last December inspecting his new high-seas plaything.

________________________ ________________________ ____________________

Do as I say, not as I do.  

Yeah, those libs are looking out for my middle class ass!   ::)  ::)  ::)

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
Maybe Kerry has plans to sail his new yacht over there. 

________________________ ________________________ __________

Sen. Kerry Predicts ‘Ice-Free Arctic' In '5 or 10 Years’
CNSNews ^

Posted on Friday, July 23, 2010 11:46:40 AM by Sub-Driver

Sen. Kerry Predicts ‘Ice-Free Arctic' In '5 or 10 Years’ Friday, July 23, 2010 By Penny Starr, Senior Staff Writer

(CNSNews.com) – Speaking at a town hall-style meeting promoting climate change legislation on Thursday, Sen. John Kerry (D-Mass.) predicted there will be “an ice-free Arctic” in five to 10 years..

“The arctic ice is disappearing faster than was predicted,” Kerry said. “And instead of waiting until 2030 or whenever it was to have an ice-free Arctic, we’re going to have one in five or 10 years.”

However, the Web site of the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration says: “Using the observed 2007/2008 summer sea ice extents as a starting point, computer models predict that the Arctic could be nearly sea ice free in summertime within 30 years.”

NOAA cites as its source on Arctic sea ice a study published in the April 3, 2009 edition of Geophysical Research Letters by J.E. Overland and Muyin Wang. (Overland works for NOAA at the Pacific Marine Environmental Laboratory and Wang is at the Joint Institute for the Study of the Atmosphere and Ocean, University of Washington, in Seattle.)

In their study, Overland and Wang “predict an expected value for a nearly sea ice free Arctic in September by the year 2037.” They also note in their summary, however, that “a sea ice free Arctic in September may occur as early as the late 2020s” based on their analysis of six computer models.

(Excerpt) Read more at cnsnews.com ...

kcballer

• Getbig V
  • In you I feel so pretty, In you I taste God
A bit hypocritical for sure, but smart move to keep it elsewhere, he must have a good accountant.
Abandon every hope...

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
A bit hypocritical for sure, but smart move to keep it elsewhere, he must have a good accountant.

I guess Edwards, his running mate is right about two americas, one for phoney giggilos like Kerry, and the other for the rest of us. 

kcballer

• Getbig V
I guess Edwards, his running mate is right about two americas, one for phoney giggilos like Kerry, and the other for the rest of us. 

Was it illegal what he did? 
Abandon every hope...

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
Was it illegal what he did? 

No, but its beyond hypocritical since he is the one always calling for higher taxes, energy taxes, telling people to pare down their liefystles, etc.

what about Biden saying paying taxes is patriotic?  I guess Kerry is not patriotic? 

Additionally, think of how many people could be fed with Kerrys' 500k in sales tax and 70k a year in use taxes?   

kcballer

• Getbig V
No doubt it's hypocritical but it's as American as apple pie.  Perhaps he feels he pays enough tax already?  I don't know i imagine he has a rather large home which would cost decent amounts to service.  Doesn't make it right but it's not illegal so really not much you can do. 
Abandon every hope...

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
No doubt it's hypocritical but it's as American as apple pie.  Perhaps he feels he pays enough tax already?  I don't know i imagine he has a rather large home which would cost decent amounts to service.  Doesn't make it right but it's not illegal so really not much you can do. 

Ha ha ha.  You have got to be kidding me with that.

Kerry doesnt pay shit.  His wife and her inheritance do. 

kcballer

• Getbig V
Ha ha ha.  You have got to be kidding me with that.

Kerry doesnt pay shit.  His wife and her inheritance do. 

Cool.  Living the american dream it seems. 
Abandon every hope...

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
Cool.  Living the american dream it seems. 

Maybe to you liberals that is the American Dream:

1.  Scam a wealthy woman to marrying you and divorce her to make millions. 
2.  Leech on to an even wealthier woman and scam her out of millions to fund a lifystyle like a king. 
3.  Act like you earned it and tell the little people how to live their lives. 

Sounds like the perfect liberal.  Do nothing, live off the wealth generated by others' endeavors, live like those you bash, and scam the public. 

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
John Kerry Saves $500,000 By Docking 76-Foot Luxury Yacht Out Of State
| 07/23/10 10:17 AM | 

________________________ ________________________ ________

Read More: John Kerry, John Kerry Yacht, John Kerry Yacht Rhode Island, John Kerry Yacht RI, Rhode Island, Sen. John Kerry, Sen. John Kerry Yacht, Yacht, Yacht Rhode Island, Politics News 2296 views709

John Kerry in 2004, waving, on a boat smaller than his 76-foot New Zealand sloop. Get Politics Alerts   

Email Comments 707 BOSTON — Massachusetts Sen. John Kerry is docking his family's new $7 million yacht in neighboring Rhode Island, allowing him to avoid paying roughly $500,000 in taxes to the cash-strapped Bay State.

If the "Isabel" were kept at the 2008 Democratic presidential nominee's summer vacation home on Nantucket, or in Boston Harbor near his city residence, he would be liable for $437,500 in one-time sales tax. He would also have to pay $70,000 in annual excise taxes.

Rhode Island repealed those taxes in 1993. That has made the state something of a nautical tax haven.

Kerry spokesman David Wade said Friday the boat is being kept at Newport Shipyard not to evade taxes, but "for long-term maintenance, upkeep and charter purposes."

Wade noted the vessel was designed by Rhode Island boat designer Ted Fontaine and purchased in the state. It was built in New Zealand by Friendship Yachts.

A Department of Revenue spokesman said Kerry would be liable for Massachusetts taxes if he berthed the boat in the Bay State within six months of its purchase. If the "Isabel" were brought to Massachusetts after that period, the state would have to decide if it wanted to pursue the taxes.

Massachusetts, like most other states, has been grappling with plunging tax revenues. Last year's budget decifict was $600 million, and officials are bracing for a $1 billion deficit this year.

The 76-foot sloop has two cabins, a pilot house fitted with a wet bar and cold wine storage, according to the Boston Herald, which first reported its Rhode Island berthing. It derives its moniker from the middle name of Kerry's mother and the name his wife, Teresa Heinz, planned to give a daughter.

Instead, she had three sons.

Story continues belowCoast Guard registration records show the vessel is owned by Great Point LLC, a limited liability corporation based in Pittsburgh, Heinz's longtime home. The millionaire heiress to the Heinz ketchup fortune is a philanthropist and environmentalist.
________________________ _____________________

I'll bet they wrote this off as well as a business expense. 

kcballer

• Getbig V
Maybe to you liberals that is the American Dream:

1.  Scam a wealthy woman to marrying you and divorce her to make millions. 
2.  Leech on to an even wealthier woman and scam her out of millions to fund a lifystyle like a king. 
3.  Act like you earned it and tell the little people how to live their lives. 

Sounds like the perfect liberal.  Do nothing, live off the wealth generated by others' endeavors, live like those you bash, and scam the public. 

Sounds like American Capitalism.  Let me keep my money but give me yours. 
Abandon every hope...

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
I'm going to mail this to Kerry and tell him to start being part of the deal, be patriotic, and jump in to help get out of the rut.  

And how about Kerry getting his boat built in New Zealand?  That's real Off Shoring of jobs if you asked me, literally.  

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V

kcballer

• Getbig V
I'm going to mail this to Kerry and tell him to start being part of the deal, be patriotic, and jump in to help get out of the rut.  

And how about Kerry getting his boat built in New Zealand?  That's real Off Shoring of jobs if you asked me, literally.  

Well they do make some of the best boats down there.  For such a small country their history of sailing is rather impressive.  They've held the America's cup quite recently which considering the costs pumped into it now is pretty darn impressive. 
Abandon every hope...

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
Well they do make some of the best boats down there.  For such a small country their history of sailing is rather impressive.  They've held the America's cup quite recently which considering the costs pumped into it now is pretty darn impressive. 

So?   

Why didn't Kerry make an example of this and get the boat made here by union labor and pay the taxes to help get us out of the rut and jump in as Biden said?   

kcballer

• Getbig V
So?   

Why didn't Kerry make an example of this and get the boat made here by union labor and pay the taxes to help get us out of the rut and jump in as Biden said?   

Maybe the boat wasn't what he wanted?  Isn't capitalism all about choosing the best price and best product? 
Abandon every hope...

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
Maybe the boat wasn't what he wanted?  Isn't capitalism all about choosing the best price and best product? 

Not when you spend your career bashing the rich, lecturing everyone else how to live, and passing laws the rest of us have to abide by. 

This just whows what a complete joke all these idiot left wing kooks are.  Say one thing to pull at the heart strings of the deluded nut-roots base voters, and do the exact opposite in their private life.   

kcballer

• Getbig V
Not when you spend your career bashing the rich, lecturing everyone else how to live, and passing laws the rest of us have to abide by. 

This just whows what a complete joke all these idiot left wing kooks are.  Say one thing to pull at the heart strings of the deluded nut-roots base voters, and do the exact opposite in their private life.   

They're all a joke.  But it's rich coming from such a capitalist to be angry at someone using the free market.  I totally believe we should protect our markets and make it harder to outsource or import goods from other places so as to keep jobs here and a high standard of living here.  But in a globalized world which benefits both parties and all those with wealth, the words against it are all just for show. 
Abandon every hope...

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
They're all a joke.  But it's rich coming from such a capitalist to be angry at someone using the free market.  I totally believe we should protect our markets and make it harder to outsource or import goods from other places so as to keep jobs here and a high standard of living here.  But in a globalized world which benefits both parties and all those with wealth, the words against it are all just for show. 

This thread is about the hypocrisy of Kerry, not the system itself. 

kcballer

• Getbig V
This thread is about the hypocrisy of Kerry, not the system itself. 

Okay but can i also call you on it?  Because it's a bit rich having you call anyone on this issue when you support the free market completely with no protectionism for American jobs.
Abandon every hope...

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
Okay but can i also call you on it?  Because it's a bit rich having you call anyone on this issue when you support the free market completely with no protectionism for American jobs.

I support free trade, but that is not what we have, or anything remotely close to it. 

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
Between this jerk and Edwards, it looks like we would have has a mess in 2004 regardless.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V

John Kerry’s bucks stop where?
By Gayle Fee and Laura Raposa  |   Friday, November 5, 2010  |  http://www.bostonherald.com  |  The Inside Track

Photo by Herald file

It’s been more than three months since we first told you about Capt. John Kerry’s high-seas tax dodge on his new $7 million yacht, Isabel, and the town of Nantucket still doesn’t have a check from the senior senator!

You may recall that Kerry lowered the flag and surrendered in July, agreeing to pony up more than $400,000 to cover state taxes on the toney tub. Mr. Teresa Heinz broke out the checkbook four days after the Track set off a furious tempest with our report that he had purchased the 76-foot floating palace and ported her in Rhode Island, thus depriving the commonwealth of its pound of flesh.

A spokesman for the state Department of Revenue confirmed that “a sales tax return was filed” by Kerry last summer to cover state taxes that would have been owed, had he kept the Isabel in his home state’s waters. But according to the Nantucket tax collector, he never paid any excise taxes to the town on the Isabel.

Now, in case you forgot, Kerry’s yacht is a New Zealand-built Friendship sloop with an Edwardian-style, glossy varnished teak interior, two VIP main cabins and a pilothouse fitted with a wet bar and cold wine storage. We point this out because the excise tax on boats is $10 per thousand of valuation. However, the state caps the assessment on yachts over 60 feet that are less than four years old at $50,000. Which, if you ask us, seems rather foolish . . .

So, the $7 million Isabel, for excise tax purposes, is worth just $50G, meaning, should Kerry decide to pony up, he’d owe just $500 to the island’s tax coffers. Chump change for Jawn and Ta-ray-za!

Anyway, Kerry’s flack Jodi Seth told us the senator hasn’t paid because he hasn’t received a bill. Which is very different from what Kerry said last summer. Back then the story was that the senator would pay all the taxes as if the boat were berthed in Massachusetts.

“Whether owed or not, we intend to pay the equivalent taxes as if the boat’s home port were currently in Massachusetts,” Kerry said at the time. “That payment is being made promptly.”

Apparently not.

Then Seth got back to us to say that the yacht “is in the process of being reberthed” in Massachusetts.

“Once the process is complete, we will presumably be billed and we will promptly pay whatever is owed in annual excise taxes,” she said.

Is that like “the check’s in the mail”????

Article URL: http://www.bostonherald.com/track/inside_track/view.bg?articleid=1294161

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
Unclear sailing for John F. Kerry

By Joe Battenfeld
 Tuesday, May 29, 2012 - Updated 5 hours ago

http://bostonherald.com/news/columnists/view/20220529unclear_sailing_for_kerry/srvc=home&position=1

NEWPORT, R.I. — Summer is back in New England and you know what that means — backyard barbecues, traffic tie-ups on the Cape, and the return of one of the most storied sailing vessels on the high seas — U.S. Sen. John F. Kerry’s yacht.

The Herald Truth Squad made a surprise inspection of the $7 million Isabel last week while it was docked in tony Newport, R.I. — a strange location considering it’s the place that landed Kerry in hot water two summers ago.

That’s when the Herald reported that the Massachusetts Democrat was avoiding a six-figure sales tax bill by keeping the luxury yacht in Rhode Island, rather than Massachusetts. The senior senator sustained major political damage, but Kerry eventually paid up and moved the Isabel to his home base of Nantucket.

Kerry’s office told the Truth Squad last week that the Isabel is still registered in Nantucket, and was apparently just making a stopover in Newport.

The super-secret skipper of the Isabel refused to say where the vessel had come from, and why it was docked back in Rhode Island. But other sources said it spent the winter in the Caribbean, and was headed back to Nantucket for Memorial Day weekend.

The skipper, who was wearing a polo shirt emblazoned with “Isabel” on the front, asked the Truth Squad not to take videos or pictures of the yacht’s name.

So we did.

Most of the tourists gathered next to Isabel’s private dock had no idea they were looking at a piece of political history. The yacht doesn’t even stand out amid all the other multimillion-dollar boats on the harbor.

The stern of the Isabel now bears the name of its home port — Nantucket — but it’s barely even visible. A few bicycles were on the deck, but there was no sign of Kerry or his wife, Teresa.

After the tax scandal broke two years ago, Kerry said he would immediately pay all sales and excise taxes to Massachusetts.

But when the Herald called the Nantucket tax collector’s office last week, there was no record of any bills or payments in Kerry’s name. A spokeswoman for Kerry said the senator’s accountant had tried repeatedly to get the tax bill from Nantucket, but couldn’t get a response. The taxes, amounting to roughly $100, were finally paid in full last December, according to Kerry’s office.