Author Topic: Anne Rice leaves "Christianity", but still believes in Christ  (Read 1150 times)

loco

• Getbig V
  • loco like a fox
Legendary author Anne Rice has announced that she’s quitting Christianity.

The “Interview with a Vampire” author, who wrote a book about her spirituality titled "Called Out of Darkness: A Spiritual Confession" in 2008, said Wednesday that she refuses to be “anti-gay,” “anti-feminist," “anti-science” and “anti-Democrat.”

Rice wrote, “For those who care, and I understand if you don't: Today I quit being a Christian ... It's simply impossible for me to ‘belong’ to this quarrelsome, hostile, disputatious, and deservedly infamous group. For ten years, I've tried. I've failed. I'm an outsider. My conscience will allow nothing else.”

Rice then added another post explaining her decision on Thursday:

“My faith in Christ is central to my life. My conversion from a pessimistic atheist lost in a world I didn't understand, to an optimistic believer in a universe created and sustained by a loving God is crucial to me," Rice wrote. "But following Christ does not mean following His followers. Christ is infinitely more important than Christianity and always will be, no matter what Christianity is, has been or might become.”

http://marquee.blogs.cnn.com/2010/07/30/anne-rice-leaves-christianity/?hpt=Sbin

Agnostic007

• Getbig V
Re: Anne Rice leaves "Christianity", but still believes in Christ
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2010, 11:34:49 AM »
Sorry to hear she was a pessimistic atheist lost in the world.. I hope people who read that don't wrongly assume all atheists are pessimistic or feel lost. Glad she is happy finally

Butterbean

• Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2010, 01:38:03 PM »
" in 2008, said Wednesday that she refuses to be “anti-gay,” “anti-feminist," “anti-science” and “anti-Democrat.”

I read in another article that in her list of "antis" that "anti-birth control" was in there.  Was she a Catholic?
R

loco

• Getbig V
  • loco like a fox
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2010, 08:34:43 AM »
I read in another article that in her list of "antis" that "anti-birth control" was in there.  Was she a Catholic?

Yes, she went from being an atheist to converting to Catholism of all things.  No wonder she got out!  Too strict and too many rules and rituals that aren't even Biblical.   :)