Author Topic: Shocker! UK: 75% believe Islam has had negative impact on Britain  (Read 511 times)

Fury

• Getbig V
  • All aboard the USS Leverage
Three-quarters of non-Muslims believe Islam negative for Britain
Haroon Siddique

Three-quarters of non-Muslims believe Islam has provided a negative contribution to British society, according to a new poll, which has prompted calls for Muslims to help improve the perception of their faith.

The study for the Islamic Education and Research Academy (iERA) also found that 63% of people surveyed did not disagree with the statement "Muslims are terrorists" and 94% agreed that "Islam oppresses women". It included qualitative as well as quantitative data. One respondent said: ""If I had my way I'd kick them all [Muslims] out of here."

The results follow an online YouGov poll, published in June, that found 58% linked Islam with extremism and 69% believed it encouraged the repression of women.

Despite the widespread negative perceptions of Islam, iERA believes the fact that most opinions were formed in ignorance of the faith indicates that Muslims can positively influence them.

Four-fifths of those polled said they have less than very little knowledge about Islam, while 40% did not know who "Allah" referred to and 36% did not know who the Prophet Muhammad was.

iERA's senior researcher Hamza Tzortzis said: "We wanted to do something positive with the survey results rather than just say, 'It's so sad'. So, the organisation's strategy is to give a new realm of possibility for people to comprehend Islam, have a proper respect for Islam and see the human relevance of the faith."

The organisation has made a number of recommendations on how to spread knowledge of Islam and the Muslim community through education and audiovisual materials. It also advocates "promoting Muslim women as ambassadors of change" to counter the impression that they are oppressed.

Although the survey indicated people may not be willing to listen – 60% said they preferred not to receive any information about religion, while 77% did not agree in any way that Muslims should do more to teach people about their faith – Tzortzis believes they will if they are shown that religion is relevant.

"We need to show that it [Islam] encompasses all the things in your life whether social or practical," he said.

"We had one of the biggest economic crises and we had no Islamic scholar saying the Islamic [financial] model wasn't as affected and might be relevant."

The study, carried out for iERA out by DJS Research, used face-to face questionnaires to ascertain the views of a "statistically robust" sample of 500 randomly selected non-Muslims.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2010/aug/02/poll-islam-negative-britain

Not surprising. Nor is it surprising that the Muslims try to blame it on Islamophobia and ignorance and not the actions of the Muslims themselves.  ::)

Skip8282

• Getbig V
Re: Shocker! UK: 75% believe Islam has had negative impact on Britain
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2010, 05:27:56 PM »
I'm shocked....oh no, wait.  ::)

Everytime I think England is starting to wake up, they just go right back to sleep.

Fury

• Getbig V
  • All aboard the USS Leverage
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2010, 04:46:11 AM »
I'm shocked....oh no, wait.  ::)

Everytime I think England is starting to wake up, they just go right back to sleep.

;D

England's a lost cause. I love the typical spin on this article that paints Muslims as the victims while singing their praises, even going so far as to flat-out lie about the Muslim banking system while also alluding to Islamic supremacism.

George Whorewell

• Getbig V
  • TND
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2010, 06:50:26 AM »
Inherent insanity in these types of articles: Why would anyone want or need to "understand" or further enlighten themselves on slavery, rape, violence, terrorism and bad hyigene committed and perpatrated by immigrints from the middle east who hate your way of life and refuse to assimilate with your society?

I think that if the question was rephrased along those lines ( which would be most accurate) the polling numbers would go to 99% no and 1% yes. That 1% would be of liberals with no concept of shame or indecency.

What else is there to know about these animals? Do you think that your average person needs to learn more about the Ebola virus? How about Aids?

When discussing a deadly disease, the only thing that people need or want to understand is how to prevent the infection of themselves and their loved ones. Nobody cares about where the disease comes from in terms of biology. Nobody cares about how the disease "feels". Nobody cares about the "why" of the disease beyond thinking about "why" the disease is killing people and "why" the prevention methods are ineffective.

Enough of this garbage. Liberals will obssess over the meaningless and irreleevant at the expense of reality, sanity and survival. I am hoping that the world is starting to take notice.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Doesnt lie about lifting.
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2010, 06:54:18 AM »
GW - we both live in NYC. 

We know where this is going and is coming, right home to us. 

Liberalism is a mental disorder.  Remember this gem?  Its still apt. 

Skip8282

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2010, 02:29:14 PM »
Inherent insanity in these types of articles: Why would anyone want or need to "understand" or further enlighten themselves on slavery, rape, violence, terrorism and bad hyigene committed and perpatrated by immigrints from the middle east who hate your way of life and refuse to assimilate with your society?

I think that if the question was rephrased along those lines ( which would be most accurate) the polling numbers would go to 99% no and 1% yes. That 1% would be of liberals with no concept of shame or indecency.

What else is there to know about these animals? Do you think that your average person needs to learn more about the Ebola virus? How about Aids?

When discussing a deadly disease, the only thing that people need or want to understand is how to prevent the infection of themselves and their loved ones. Nobody cares about where the disease comes from in terms of biology. Nobody cares about how the disease "feels". Nobody cares about the "why" of the disease beyond thinking about "why" the disease is killing people and "why" the prevention methods are ineffective.

Enough of this garbage. Liberals will obssess over the meaningless and irreleevant at the expense of reality, sanity and survival. I am hoping that the world is starting to take notice.

Yep, and that's kind of summed up in this video...