Author Topic: Softball Player Sues City For $5 Million Over Broken Finger  (Read 796 times)

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
Softball Player Sues City For $5 Million Over Broken Finger
« on: August 03, 2010, 03:42:39 PM »
Does she need to man up?  She wants $5 million for a broken finger?  Are you kidding me?? 

Softball Player Sues City For $5 Million Over Broken Finger
Updated: Tuesday, 03 Aug 2010, 9:30 AM EDT
Published : Monday, 02 Aug 2010, 6:36 PM EDT

MYFOXNY.COM - A Brooklyn girl is suing the Department of Education after her female softball coach told her to "Take it like a man!" and continue playing when she injured her finger during practice.

Rebecca Sacerio, 16, is a student at Lincoln High School on Coney Island. She says that back on May 2, 2009, she was playing third base during batting practice. A hard line-drive by her coach hit her index finger and it broke in three places.

She says her coach, Sari Schoen, told her to tough it out.

Sacerio says, "I wasn't crying but I told her that I hurt really badly but she told me to 'take it like a man' and keep playing so I did."

"It was surprising when she said that," Sacerio says.

Her mother was concerned when she got home after practice and tried to treat the injury. The next day when it remained swollen, Sacerio went to the hospital.

She ended up needing three surgeries on the finger. She contracted a postsurgery infection and developed arthritis.

More than a year later Sacerio says it is still painful when she applies pressure to the finger.

Doctors told her that she could have avoided permanent danger if the finger had been treated right away.

Sacerio's suit is asking for $5 million claiming she was injured because of "negligence, carelessness and hazardous behavior by the defendant."

The Department of Education told Fox 5 that it does not have any comment because of the litigation.

As for the coach, Sacerio says she would play for her again but wouldn't trust her as far as injuries go.

http://www.myfoxny.com/dpp/news/education/brooklyn-softball-player-sues-nyc-20100802