Author Topic: Questions for Bob Chick (Bodybuilding/Olympics)  (Read 4938 times)

BIG ACH

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
Questions for Bob Chick (Bodybuilding/Olympics)
« on: August 03, 2010, 07:45:14 PM »

Hey Bob,

Couple of question for you:

What do you think(know?) is the real reason that bodybuilding is not in the Olympics?  Is it the drugs stigma?  Is it the fact that some will say that bodybuilding is not a sport more of a glorified beauty pageant (Kinda retartded cause the ones usually saying this never actually stepped on stage but whatever)?  Is it the whole image around it, half naked men and women oiled up on stage?

Forgive my ignorance here, but have the Weiders taken any initiative around this?  Are they still pursuing it or did they just give up on that dream?

Is Bodybuilding coming back to the Asian Games?  Why or why not?

Last question, unrelated to this topic, whats the IFBB's opinion of the natural organizations?  Do you think it would ever be considered for the IFBB to merge with one of the big natural orgs (WNBF, IFPA, Musclemania, etc?) 
Whats your personal opinion of them?

Thanks for your time!

Chick

• The Pros
  • Getbig V
  • sometimes you get the elevator, somtimes the shaft
Re: Questions for Bob Chick (Bodybuilding/Olympics)
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2010, 07:56:29 PM »
Hey Bob,

What do you think(know?) is the real reason that bodybuilding is not in the Olympics?  Is it the drugs stigma?  Is it the fact that some will say that bodybuilding is not a sport more of a glorified beauty pageant (Kinda retartded cause the ones usually saying this never actually stepped on stage but whatever)?  Is it the whole image around it, half naked men and women oiled up on stage?

none of the above.  The SOLE reason it will never be in the Olympics is simple: NO REQUIRED ELEMENTS AND SCORING BASED SOLEY ON OPINION  Look at the most controversial sports they have, Gymnastics/ Ice skating/even boxing to a degree...all open to interpretation, but still having SOME semblence of requirements.  

Forgive my ignorance here, but have the Weiders taken any initiative around this?  Are they still pursuing it or did they just give up on that dream?

That was Bens dream, it died with him...Joe (God bless him) is 90

Is Bodybuilding coming back to the Asian Games?  Why or why not? Couldnt give you a clue

Last question, unrelated to this topic, whats the IFBB's opinion of the natural organizations?  Do you think it would ever be considered for the IFBB to merge with one of the big natural orgs (WNBF, IFPA, Musclemania, etc?) 

No reason to merge, I dont believe the IFBB really cares much either way...none of them make a profit, or are well attended. There simply isnt enough interest in them by the paying public....people pay to see the best (and freaks)...mediocre doesnt sell tickets

Thanks for your time!

BIG ACH

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2010, 08:03:21 PM »

Hey thanks for answering these Bob...

I've always compared bodybuilding as a sport to ice skating, gymnastics, syncronized swimming, and diving, they all seam to be sports of "Form" as opposed to sports of "points" or sports of "distance"  I just feel that there has to be a way to make it a little more consistent, but I'm sure this topic has been discussed at the judging board meetings so many times!  You bring up great points!

And as for the question about the natural organizations, I definitely see your point, the IFBB is successful because people pay to see the BIGGEST of the BIGGEST, part of the reason the sport went in the direction that it did!  But then I have to ask, if thats the case, why is the NPC still hosting natural shows?  Why is the Team Universe still around and still drug tested?

Chick

• The Pros
  • Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2010, 08:13:33 PM »

I've always compared bodybuilding as a sport to ice skating, gymnastics, syncronized swimming, and diving, they all seam to be sports of "Form" as opposed to sports of "points" or sports of "distance"  I just feel that there has to be a way to make it a little more consistent, but I'm sure this topic has been discussed at the judging board meetings so many times!  You bring up great points!

And as for the question about the natural organizations, I definitely see your point, the IFBB is successful because people pay to see the BIGGEST of the BIGGEST, part of the reason the sport went in the direction that it did!  But then I have to ask, if thats the case, why is the NPC still hosting natural shows?  Why is the Team Universe still around and still drug tested?

Thats a decision a promoter makes, as a way of having a show for those who choose to compete against other natural athletes...the few that are put on do fairly well because thats all there is.  If it was expanded, they would tank out in record time as there arent enough natural guys to support them, nor people willing to pay to see them

BIG ACH

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2010, 08:30:21 PM »
Thats a decision a promoter makes, as a way of having a show for those who choose to compete against other natural athletes...the few that are put on do fairly well because thats all there is.  If it was expanded, they would tank out in record time as there arent enough natural guys to support them, nor people willing to pay to see them

Oh ok, its at the discretion of the promoter, I didn't know this... thought the NPC/IFBB regulated that and required a certain amount of natural shows each year!   

Thanks for answer my questions!  Much appreciated!

~UN_$ung~

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • Been real, been nice...but it hasnt been Real Nice
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2010, 08:34:52 PM »
"none of the above.  The SOLE reason it will never be in the Olympics is simple: NO REQUIRED ELEMENTS AND SCORING BASED SOLEY ON OPINION  Look at the most controversial sports they have, Gymnastics/ Ice skating/even boxing to a degree...all open to interpretation, but still having SOME semblence of requirements.   "

come on bob, the SOLE reason..........

bodybuilding IS steroids, there is not bodybuilding without steroids

yes, steroids are a part of almost every competitive sport...........but nowhere near the extent of bodybuilding.

BIG ACH

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2010, 08:38:32 PM »
"none of the above.  The SOLE reason it will never be in the Olympics is simple: NO REQUIRED ELEMENTS AND SCORING BASED SOLEY ON OPINION  Look at the most controversial sports they have, Gymnastics/ Ice skating/even boxing to a degree...all open to interpretation, but still having SOME semblence of requirements.   "

yes, steroids are a part of almost every competitive sport...........but nowhere near the extent of bodybuilding.

I dont think its neccessarily used MORE in bodybuilding, I just think its MORE OBVIOUS due to the nature of the sport!

~UN_$ung~

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • Been real, been nice...but it hasnt been Real Nice
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2010, 08:44:24 PM »
I dont think its neccessarily used MORE in bodybuilding, I just think its MORE OBVIOUS due to the nature of the sport!

well, your wrong, i dont know what else to tell you

BIG ACH

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2010, 08:45:05 PM »
well, your wrong, i dont know what else to tell you

LOL  ;D

Howard

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2010, 09:08:20 PM »

Bob is correct as this was the actual , official reason given to ben W and the IFBB.

Howard

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2010, 09:13:34 PM »

Bob is correct again and he knows his stuff and history of bodybuilding.
The Team U was meant to pick a USA team of natty bodybuilders to compete in the IFBB amatuer worlds. That had tavel issues so they simply give a pro card to the overall Team U winner now. The IFBB has 48 pgs of rules against drugs in the pro division and MORE in the amatuer. For various reasons they choose to avoid enforcing many of the WRITTEN rules on banned subtances.
Like Bob said, most pro Bb fans pay to see the biggest and best bodies on stage and obviously those are going to be "enhanced".

BIG ACH

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2010, 09:35:59 PM »
Bob is correct again and he knows his stuff and history of bodybuilding.
The Team U was meant to pick a USA team of natty bodybuilders to compete in the IFBB amatuer worlds. That had tavel issues so they simply give a pro card to the overall Team U winner now. The IFBB has 48 pgs of rules against drugs in the pro division and MORE in the amatuer. For various reasons they choose to avoid enforcing many of the WRITTEN rules on banned subtances.
Like Bob said, most pro Bb fans pay to see the biggest and best bodies on stage and obviously those are going to be "enhanced".

The Team U winner is still invited to compete in the IFBB amatuer worlds, right?

Howard

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2010, 10:15:59 PM »
The Team U winner is still invited to compete in the IFBB amatuer worlds, right?
Each wt class winner is eligible to go as a US team, BUT as far as I know the NPC/IFBB won't pay to send one.
For various political reasons the amatuer IFBB worlds ( aka Mr Universe) is now held in mostly asian and arab countries??.
Some new pros still gain pro status via the IFBB worlds.

Pro BB in the IFBB has the biggest shows in the USA. As Bob said it is all about where you can make a buck.

What many here don't know is that there really is a full 48 pgs of rules on drug testing and banned subtsances for IFBB pro contests.
It is on the IFBB pro div web page and you simply go to rules and then doping control and there it is.
What bugs me is NOT that pros use drugs, but the IFBB has all these rules against it to cover their ass.
Just delete the 48 pgs and make it a NON issue.
FYI, the IFBB and NPC are listed as NON profits for tax purposes, hmmmmmmm

BIG ACH

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2010, 10:48:54 PM »

I think I remember someone saying that (maybe Bob?), which is I think is fucking incredible!!  Tax exempt, Amaazing!

Howard

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2010, 10:11:48 AM »
I think I remember someone saying that (maybe Bob?), which is I think is fucking incredible!!  Tax exempt, Amaazing!
Well at least the meet whatever legal standard for "tax exempt" status and don't hide $$$ in off shore acconts like some major corperations hehe.

Look, bodybuilding is, what it is and despite some minor flaws in the current format, I love it and want the best for it as a sport.

Vince G, CSN MFT

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • GETBIG3.COM!
« Reply #15 on: August 04, 2010, 11:21:28 AM »

Bob, you are 100% wrong about natural organizations not making any profit.  In fact, a lot of the natural shows have a much better chance of making a profit for a promoter than an NPC and IFBB show. 

First off the sanction fees for the NPC and IFBB shows are ridiculous compared to an NGA, OCB, or INBF/WNBF event.  Secondly, while there's still a lot more people want to see the "freaks", there are now more people that are sick and tired of the freak shows and want to see something other than a mixed up display of synthol arms and GH Guts.

But lets not forget where the real money comes from and that's the sponsors and natural shows are now landing a lot of the mainstream sponsors that usually avoid the freak shows to protect their image. I'm not saying that the natural organizations will take out the NPC and IFBB anytime soon but I will tell you that the seats are getting filled up in auditorium and there's a huge influx of money coming in from new sponsors that want a clean image sport to stand by. 

Maybe its time you visited a natural show again.  If you do, you'll find that there's more money coming in now than before
A

noworries

• Getbig V
  • Train Heavy or Go Home
« Reply #16 on: August 04, 2010, 11:37:14 AM »

Bob, you are 100% wrong about natural organizations not making any profit.  In fact, a lot of the natural shows have a much better chance of making a profit for a promoter than an NPC and IFBB show.  

First off the sanction fees for the NPC and IFBB shows are ridiculous compared to an NGA, OCB, or INBF/WNBF event.  Secondly, while there's still a lot more people want to see the "freaks", there are now more people that are sick and tired of the freak shows and want to see something other than a mixed up display of synthol arms and GH Guts.

But lets not forget where the real money comes from and that's the sponsors and natural shows are now landing a lot of the mainstream sponsors that usually avoid the freak shows to protect their image. I'm not saying that the natural organizations will take out the NPC and IFBB anytime soon but I will tell you that the seats are getting filled up in auditorium and there's a huge influx of money coming in from new sponsors that want a clean image sport to stand by.  

Maybe its time you visited a natural show again.  If you do, you'll find that there's more money coming in now than before

Gotta love your ignorance.  Again (like always) you think you know more than someone else.  Lets see, Bob has competed for 20+ years in the NPC and IFBB, he is respected by most people in the industry and companies, he is working with and mingling with BB insiders and he knows more about BB than most.  And then on the other hand we have you.  A person who is hated and is known as a liar and who has done nothing in BB except enter a few shows to look at other guys and take last place.  Ummm I wonder who most (if not all) would listen to.

I bet the promoter of any show you enter cringes when he finds out you enter his contest.  How embarrassing it is for him and the other contestants.  Remember one of the guys you competed in the same show came on here telling everyone how horrible you looked and out of place.  I got a PM from another guy saying the same thing.  Why do you do that.  Why do you go on stage and lessen the quality of a show and weaken the class you are in.  Can't you find a gay BB show to enter.  This way you can suck anyones cock and maybe it will help you get out of last place.  At least the NPC promoter in NC was smart enough not to let you enter anymore shows.  I bet soon the NGA promoter may do the same.  By the way there was natural show in Hawaii.  he had something like 60 contestants and less than 150 seats were sold.  Great turnout
No Worries 4 me

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #17 on: August 04, 2010, 11:44:12 AM »
Hey Bob,

Is Bodybuilding coming back to the Asian Games?  Why or why not?

Thanks for your time!

The Weiders got IOC recognition in 1998. Ben Weider and the chairman of the IOC were friends back then. As I remember the rule was that a committee had to vote whether or not to have bodybuilding in the Olympics as a demonstration game. If they got a first look, there had to be another vote for a second demonstration game. If that had happened, and bodybuilding got the nod, it would have officially become an Olympic sport.

But, when that chairman retired, his replacement scrapped bodybuilding immediately. Hence, no chance of it becoming an Olympic sport. Of course, he cited steroids as a reason. But, to me, that's bogus, especially considering we have Olympic athletes confessing to anabolics use 10 years or more after the fact (i.e. Marion Jones).

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #18 on: August 04, 2010, 11:46:04 AM »
Each wt class winner is eligible to go as a US team, BUT as far as I know the NPC/IFBB won't pay to send one.
For various political reasons the amatuer IFBB worlds ( aka Mr Universe) is now held in mostly asian and arab countries??.
Some new pros still gain pro status via the IFBB worlds.

Pro BB in the IFBB has the biggest shows in the USA. As Bob said it is all about where you can make a buck.

What many here don't know is that there really is a full 48 pgs of rules on drug testing and banned subtsances for IFBB pro contests.
It is on the IFBB pro div web page and you simply go to rules and then doping control and there it is.
What bugs me is NOT that pros use drugs, but the IFBB has all these rules against it to cover their ass.
Just delete the 48 pgs and make it a NON issue.

It was for that reason (the Universe being held in countries, not to friendly with the US) that the TU itself became a pro qualifier in 2003.

MAXX

• Getbig V
  • MAGA
« Reply #19 on: August 04, 2010, 12:46:19 PM »
bodybuilding =  all drugs

this is the only reason. nuff said...  :P

BIG ACH

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
« Reply #20 on: August 04, 2010, 01:07:07 PM »

Yeah, I have to say, I've competed in Natural Shows myself (OCB and NGA), and although they are growing and the shows are now JUST starting to make some profit, before it the goal was just to break even, in the last 3 years the shows are starting to be a little profitable, but its stll no where near the level of the NPC/IFBB.... nothing even close.  And a major problem is because there are so many damn natural organizations not willing to come together and form one big strong organization...  this has been the goal of the OCB/IFPA from day one, is to bring together all the natural organizations, some have started to do so, others are refusing!

I see Bob's point of view, makes sense to me now, the NPC/IFBB really have nothing to gain by working with any of the natural organizations!

Chick

• The Pros
  • Getbig V
« Reply #21 on: August 04, 2010, 01:51:17 PM »
bodybuilding =  all drugs

this is the only reason. nuff said...  :P

It is the only reason...when you're ignorant

Howard

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #22 on: August 04, 2010, 06:25:05 PM »
Yeah, I have to say, I've competed in Natural Shows myself (OCB and NGA), and although they are growing and the shows are now JUST starting to make some profit, before it the goal was just to break even, in the last 3 years the shows are starting to be a little profitable, but its stll no where near the level of the NPC/IFBB.... nothing even close.  And a major problem is because there are so many damn natural organizations not willing to come together and form one big strong organization...  this has been the goal of the OCB/IFPA from day one, is to bring together all the natural organizations, some have started to do so, others are refusing!

I see Bob's point of view, makes sense to me now, the NPC/IFBB really have nothing to gain by working with any of the natural organizations!

Bob is looking at things from a PRACTICAL view pt. Some natty shows do fine on a local/regional basis. BUT compare the best natty contest to the Arnold Classic or Olympia and you get the REAL picture.
Bodybuilding fans are unique in that they want to see big freaky guys and SUPPORT the use of juice to get there.

Howard

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #23 on: August 04, 2010, 06:28:15 PM »

Bob, you are 100% wrong about natural organizations not making any profit.  In fact, a lot of the natural shows have a much better chance of making a profit for a promoter than an NPC and IFBB show. 

First off the sanction fees for the NPC and IFBB shows are ridiculous compared to an NGA, OCB, or INBF/WNBF event.  Secondly, while there's still a lot more people want to see the "freaks", there are now more people that are sick and tired of the freak shows and want to see something other than a mixed up display of synthol arms and GH Guts.

Maybe its time you visited a natural show again.  If you do, you'll find that there's more money coming in now than before

Vince, the vast majority of UNtested bodybuilders compete in the NPC and IFBB pro div. Sure a few compete in NABBA but not a big %. The natty organizations are too many in number and too independent to gain real power. I enjoy natty shows and have seen a few that were well run, decent shows with great looking physiques on stage.Once again look at the NPC Nationals, USA, Olympia and Arnold classic and compare that to a top natty event and you can see Bob's pt.

Vince G, CSN MFT

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • GETBIG3.COM!
« Reply #24 on: August 04, 2010, 07:06:38 PM »
Vince, the vast majority of UNtested bodybuilders compete in the NPC and IFBB pro div. Sure a few compete in NABBA but not a big %. The natty organizations are too many in number and too independent to gain real power. I enjoy natty shows and have seen a few that were well run, decent shows with great looking physiques on stage.Once again look at the NPC Nationals, USA, Olympia and Arnold classic and compare that to a top natty event and you can see Bob's pt.

I already stated that it wasn't nowhere as big as the NPC or IFBB and it won't overtake them anytime soon.  My reference was simply to Bob's comment that the promoters weren't turning a profit and in fact, a lot more of them are doing so now than in the past.  It isn't an empty auditorium anymore when it comes to these shows and they are in fact bringing back a lot of the old crowd that stopped coming to the events due to being disgusted by the physiques. 

Its a progressive project but its no longer a lose lose situation with promoters running nattie shows. 

A