Author Topic: Federal judge in CA knocks down the state's voter-approved ban on gay marriage  (Read 10256 times)

ThaRealist

• Getbig IV
  • Team REal LiFe
judges aren't suppose to represent the people.  they represent the Constitution.    If it weren't for 'activist judges', we'd still have segregated schools, interracial marriages would be illegal in many places, and oral sex (even m-f) would be illegal.

I thought all those things were still illegal????
You Can't Do It!!!

Heywood

• Getbig IV
Heard a talk show on my way into work, the host was bashing the decision. A caller pointed out that it wasn't just about getting to play heterosexual games like the other people, it wasn't about "They have it so we want it" that as it stands, if two homosexuals fall in love, and cohabitate for years, if one dies, the other is without any rights normally granted to married couples. If one falls critically ill, the other can't make life or death decisions for the other as a married couple could, if they adopted, there are custody rights they aren't afforded in the event of the death of one of them etc etc. he also pointed out the "sanctity  of marriage" among heterosexuals has really lost any weight when the divorce rate is 54% and many heterosexuals are married and remarried several times.
If there were a way to grant or afford legal protections to same sex couples that are similar to married heterosexuals, yet we didn't call it "marriage" would that be okay?

The "rights" they want is also called money.  Spousal and survivorship pension benefits. They want to be put in the same position of a woman who has been married for 40 or 50 years and spent her working years raising children.  Gays can go to work like everyone else has to.  

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Doesnt lie about lifting.
this is great news

Divorce Lawyers
Child Guardians
Court Officers
Family Counselers
Judges

are all cheering as the moronic gays get to experience the joys of divorce court.  

Heywood

• Getbig IV
If same-sex marriage becomes law, it'll take about 5 minutes for people to realize they can get free spousal Social Security benefits by making a deal with a friend.

1) We get legally married.
2) A year later, I'll get a monthly check from SSI.
3) I'll give you 50% of the money back for your trouble.

Those kinds of deals are rare between sexes, but would be very common among normal, close friends.

Option D

• Getbig V
  • Kelly the Con Way
I live in CA and don't really care either way, but there just seems to be something wrong with overturning a law that was voted on and won by a majority of people.  I mean why even have elections any more when one person can overturn a law voted on by millions?  I would prefer they put the law up again to vote for the public to decide.

I love living in CA, but as a conservative (I'm not from ca) it's weird that everyone here is so liberal and believes they are in the majority and have this superiority complex (thus the name "progressives") that they are forward thinking people and everyone who doesn't share their beliefs are ignorant.

Then you go to somewhere like San Francisco where guys parade in the street wearing fishnets and thongs and everyone smokes weed freely on every corner. Yeah, that is the "progressive" thinking America I want to live in.

Bottom line is we placed this issue to a vote and the people have spoken. If they want to contest it, put it on a ballot again and vote. That is how things should be done in America.

The reason is because the Constitution was supersedes what is popular to the people. In essence what is popular can also be unconstitutional and therefore is not legal.

ThaRealist

• Getbig IV
  • Team REal LiFe
Divorce Lawyers
Child Guardians
Court Officers
Family Counselers
Judges

are all cheering as the moronic gays get to experience the joys of divorce court.  

I wonder in a gay marriage if they were to get a divorce if the court would give the more feminine guy the better outcome like they do for women in the court system now??
You Can't Do It!!!

Option D

• Getbig V
  • Kelly the Con Way
Seriously, why even vote if a bunch of fags are going to bitch and whine and have some otehr fag in a black dress overturn a decision made by the majority of the people?

So much for power to the people, I'll never vote again.

Popular vote is trumped by constitution

timfogarty

• Getbig V
  • @fogartyTim on twitter
court decisions are not just yes/no things.  when judges make their ruling they give detailed reasons.  this ruling has 80 "findings of fact".   it will be hard to overturn. 

http://zackfordblogs.com/2010/08/the-prop-8-decision-the-findings-of-fact-everything-we-should-learn-from-this-trial/

btw, all of this will ultimately come down to one man:  Supreme Court Justice Anthony Kennedy

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Doesnt lie about lifting.
court decisions are not just yes/no things.  when judges make their ruling they give detailed reasons.  this ruling has 80 "findings of fact".   it will be hard to overturn. 

http://zackfordblogs.com/2010/08/the-prop-8-decision-the-findings-of-fact-everything-we-should-learn-from-this-trial/

btw, all of this will ultimately come down to one man:  Supreme Court Justice Anthony Kennedy

When obamacare gets knocked down you libs will all be screaming. 

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!

Not necessarily. Don't be surprised if Sotomayor sides with the conservatives on this one. This could go 6-3. Or it could go 5-4, with Kennedy going liberal and Sotomayor going conservative.

That's of course, assuming that the 9th doesn't reverse Walker.

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
I don't think anyone is dumb enough to start getting married knowing this is getting immediatly appealed!

Nails

• Getbig V
  • https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jsi5VTzJpPw
Why cant these hairy ass slammers and carpet eaters just call it HOMAGE and call it a day?? why use a term meant for man and woman? You already call yourselfs GAY come up with your own term for partnership and while your at it have your own island too  ;D

El Diablo Blanco

• Getbig V
  • Nom Nom Nom Nom
judges aren't suppose to represent the people.  they represent the Constitution.    If it weren't for 'activist judges', we'd still have segregated schools, interracial marriages would be illegal in many places, and oral sex (even m-f) would be illegal.

The things you listed were not measures that were voted for by the population, they were in place by laws made by other judges.

Tre

• Expert
  • Getbig V
  • "What you don't have is a career."
Lol. Prove me wrong. Marriage, is something that stemmed and came from religion. It was around before this government. So how, pray tell, can I be incorrect? In this case, the government is interferring with religious law. Which it shouldnt have anything to do with.
You can be for gay marriage all you want, but dont try and twist the facts to make it suit your purpose.

Marriage predates the invention of religion.

Try again. 

Howard

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
Epic separation of church and state.
Marriage is primarily a religious deal.
I dont know what right the Federal court has to overturn a VOTER decided ban. That is pretty ghetto.
Seems like the government is saying "fuck you voters, we do what we want." more and more.
Ya , I go with mob rule myself. Ya know if 50 people all get drunk and agree to lynch some guy , well, majority rules...NOT!
I am pretty sure Mississippi didn't vote for civil rights in the 1960's 'eh?
The prop 8 deal didn't pass muster on the 14th ammendment. The appeal proved it.
Plus, the judge never got an answer for the following:
What harm does it do to any married couple if a gay couple gets married.

Howard

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
Lol. Prove me wrong. Marriage, is something that stemmed and came from religion. It was around before this government. So how, pray tell, can I be incorrect? In this case, the government is interferring with religious law. Which it shouldnt have anything to do with.
You can be for gay marriage all you want, but dont try and twist the facts to make it suit your purpose.
Geesh! It against the establishment claus to argue in favor of a law based on religious reasons.
Of course that is what they do in Iran and Saudi Arabia. Theocratic nations rock don't they...NOT :'(
How come the religious arguments are only popular when it is the religion they believe in?

Howard

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
The reason is because the Constitution was supersedes what is popular to the people. In essence what is popular can also be unconstitutional and therefore is not legal.
BINGO!

Howard

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
The last time I checked an anatomy chart the asshole was an exit only orifice!
C'mon , and you claim to be a fan of bodybuilding saying THAT

Howard

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
The fact is that both hetero and homosexuals voted. The judge used his position of power to push his agenda.  And the bolded part tells me, that a governmental official is supposed to push his vision of the future regardless of what the population of the country they were elected to represent thinks. I dont know about you, but I dont elect officials to tell us what we want. Equal rights, its not like this is somehing that is going to hold them back from life liberty and the pursuit of happiness, they just want something that was traditionally a religious thing for themselves. Thats all it is. Theyre saying, those religious people have it and we want it.
Question: How does it harm my marriage with my wife, your marriage or any straight couples marriage if two queers or two lezbos marry?
Look, I admit if I had to see two cowboys swap spit like in Brokeback Mt, I would get sick and walk out of the movie.
BUT, just because you don't like something doesn't mean it is harmful or wrong.

Howard

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
I am not a christian by any means, but I have read and understand the bible and why would gays want to be united in a union by a religion that doesn't recognize them and demonizes their relationship????
LOL, yeah and no catholic priest was ever gay ? hehe