Author Topic: 70% oppose Mosque at Ground Zero  (Read 6897 times)

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Doesnt lie about lifting.
70% oppose Mosque at Ground Zero
« on: August 11, 2010, 03:24:57 PM »
August 11, 2010
Overwhelming majority oppose mosque near Ground Zero
Posted: August 11th, 2010 01:02 PM ET
www.cnn.com

________________________ ________________________ ____

(CNN) - A proposed mosque to be built two blocks from the World Trade Center has little support nationwide, a new CNN/Opinion Research Corporation Poll suggests.

According to the new survey out Wednesday, nearly 70 percent of all Americans oppose the controversial plan to build the mosque just blocks away from the solemn site in lower Manhattan while just 29 percent favor the construction.

Full results [pdf]

Broken down by party affiliation, 54 percent of Democrats oppose the plans while 82 percent of Republicans disapprove. Meanwhile, 70 percent of independents said they are against the proposal.

The poll also showed opposition did not vary widely by age.

"Support for the controversial project is slightly higher among younger Americans than older Americans, but even among those under the age of 50, six in ten oppose the plan," said CNN Polling Director Keating Holland.

Plans to build the $100 million, 13-story 'Cordoba House' three blocks from the site of the attacks on September 11, 2001 have sparked an emotional debate throughout the city. The developer, Sharif El-Gamal, describes the project as an "Islamic community center" that will include a 500-seat performing arts center, a lecture hall, an exhibition space, a swimming pool, a gym, a culinary school, a restaurant and a prayer space for Muslims.

Full results (pdf)

Filed under: CNN Polls • CNN poll

http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com/2010/08/11/overwhelming-majority-oppose-mosque-near-ground-zero/

Fury

• Getbig V
  • All aboard the USS Leverage
Re: 70% oppose Mosque at Ground Zero
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2010, 03:42:27 PM »
But according to Blacken, 46% of people in Manhattan approve!  ::)

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2010, 03:50:28 PM »
But according to Blacken, 46% of people in Manhattan approve!  ::)

As do 240, Obama, Bloomberg, KC, Cuomo, and Obama. 

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2010, 04:43:08 PM »
This whole thing is surreal.  The liberal hypocrisy is predictable. 

24KT

• Getbig V
  • Gold Savings Account Rep +1 (310) 409-2244
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2010, 04:49:07 PM »
This whole thing is surreal.  The liberal hypocrisy is predictable. 

Actually, I think "Liberals" have shown far more consistency than conservatives.
Isn't the republican conservative mantra all about religion, freedom, and restricting government interference in our lives. Yet here we have a huge portion of Republicans saying Americans shouldn't be free to build a house of worship. That's the hypocrisy I see. Where is the liberal hypocrisy you speak of?
w

blacken700

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2010, 04:50:08 PM »
polls don't run our lives

George Whorewell

• Getbig V
  • TND
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2010, 04:51:39 PM »
Actually, based on what you just wrote, I think that stupidity is a much more prevalent trait amongst liberals. You guys are consistently stupid. Bravo!

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2010, 05:17:26 PM »
Actually, I think "Liberals" have shown far more consistency than conservatives.
Isn't the republican conservative mantra all about religion, freedom, and restricting government interference in our lives. Yet here we have a huge portion of Republicans saying Americans shouldn't be free to build a house of worship. That's the hypocrisy I see. Where is the liberal hypocrisy you speak of?

I think anyone who wants to murder "evangelicals" for sharing their faith, but is a staunch supporter of this nonsense is a liberal hypocrite.  You wouldn't know anyone like that, would you?  

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2010, 05:20:59 PM »
LOL what would they be doing if this was a christian chuch that wanted to put in up the area of a religious based attack on muslims?

LMAO

Option D

• Getbig V
  • Kelly the Con Way
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2010, 06:20:41 PM »
i havent followed this......but is there anything illegal going on...and is it unconstitutional. If not, legally :/
also...Constitution trumps popular vote

Kazan

• Getbig V
  • Sic vis pacem, parabellum
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2010, 06:49:04 PM »
Anything illegal? Hard to tell at this point, but there is some "strange" shit going on with the financing. Take Soho Properties for instance, the owners were waiters a few years ago and now they are paying millions in cash for properties. TCO's or CO's none to be found, something is seriously fucked up with this whole thing.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2010, 07:05:06 PM »
if they're shitbirds, just outlaw all religious orgs from building in that area.  problem solved.

things like "no mosques should be allowed in the USA" like one genius said today...

that's unconstitutional.

Kazan

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2010, 07:06:28 PM »
if they're shitbirds, just outlaw all religious orgs from building in that area.  problem solved.

things like "no mosques should be allowed in the USA" like one genius said today...

that's unconstitutional.

How many times do I have to ask how that is unconstitutional?
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2010, 07:15:32 PM »
public opinion should have zero impact on certain religions being allowed to build.

allow them all, or ban them all.

picking and choosing based upon motive of the group is a slippery slope.  Suppose obama decides "his polls show" the majority of americans dislike conservative gatherings.

Kazan

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2010, 07:24:15 PM »
public opinion should have zero impact on certain religions being allowed to build.

allow them all, or ban them all.

picking and choosing based upon motive of the group is a slippery slope.  Suppose obama decides "his polls show" the majority of americans dislike conservative gatherings.

Well that would be unconstitutional.

"Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances. "

No where in there does it say anyone has a constitutional right to build a church, mosque......
The government just can't stop you from worshiping, do you have to have a mosque to worship? Not anymore than I need a church to worship.

Look at the historical context of the name of the mosque, and when they are planning on scheduling the ground breaking.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: August 11, 2010, 07:29:26 PM »
i havent followed this......but is there anything illegal going on...and is it unconstitutional. If not, legally :/
also...Constitution trumps popular vote

Yes, Obama is paying for the imam to go on a world conquest tour to promote the mosque. 

What ever happened to liberal outrage of Church/State? 

I guess the left wants there to be no separation of mosque and state. 

24KT

• Getbig V
  • Gold Savings Account Rep +1 (310) 409-2244
« Reply #16 on: August 11, 2010, 07:33:29 PM »
I think anyone who wants to murder "evangelicals" for sharing their faith, but is a staunch supporter of this nonsense is a liberal hypocrite.  You wouldn't know anyone like that, would you?  

Nope, ...but I know a few people, myself included who would be willing to murder evangelicals if I had to, in order to preserve my life and sanity. I don't consider it hypocritical in the least. One is free to choose to not enter the mosque. In the case of the evangelicals I referred, I was not free to walk away, as they followed and harassed me, and refused to stop to the point, where the confrontation almost became physical. Would I kick the crap out of one of them if I had to? ABSOLUTELY! Would I kill one if I had to? ABSOLUTELY! You can hide behind your bible, and your labels of Christian, conservative etc, all you want, but your willful twisting of my words demonstrates the quality of your character or lack thereof.
w

Option D

• Getbig V
  • Kelly the Con Way
« Reply #17 on: August 11, 2010, 07:35:02 PM »
Well that would be unconstitutional.

"Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances. "

No where in there does it say anyone has a constitutional right to build a church, mosque......
The government just can't stop you from worshiping, do you have to have a mosque to worship? Not anymore than I need a church to worship.

Look at the historical context of the name of the mosque, and when they are planning on scheduling the ground breaking.

What im saying is...if zoning is ok and safety is ok...who is to say "you cant build a mosque right here" ...like it will close the door on other freedoms...See this is the thing...i dont give a shit about what looks good and bad and all that...im only worried about protecting my freedoms...and when one thing is blocked...it opens the door for other things to be blocked. What if i want to build a church someday and polls show that "people" dont want my church built..thats peoples vote trumping the constitution...it dosent work like that

Option D

• Getbig V
  • Kelly the Con Way
« Reply #18 on: August 11, 2010, 07:37:26 PM »
Yes, Obama is paying for the imam to go on a world conquest tour to promote the mosque. 

link please...

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #19 on: August 11, 2010, 07:39:24 PM »
Pataki was on the CNN last night talking about this.  One of the points he made is this mosque is a public charity and subject to mandatory funding disclosure laws in NY, which they have not complied with.  

Option D

• Getbig V
  • Kelly the Con Way
« Reply #20 on: August 11, 2010, 07:40:56 PM »
Pataki was on the CNN last night talking about this.  One of the points he made is this mosque is a public charity and subject to mandatory funding disclosure laws in NY, which they have not complied with.  

if there is anything illegal..then can it..as we should do a CHURCH in the same way...

People fuckin kill me...We are land of the free...and we also want to limit the freedoms of a certian few...freaking insane

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #21 on: August 11, 2010, 07:41:15 PM »
What im saying is...if zoning is ok and safety is ok...who is to say "you cant build a mosque right here" ...like it will close the door on other freedoms...See this is the thing...i dont give a shit about what looks good and bad and all that...im only worried about protecting my freedoms...and when one thing is blocked...it opens the door for other things to be blocked. What if i want to build a church someday and polls show that "people" dont want my church built..thats peoples vote trumping the constitution...it dosent work like that

While on a strict techincal point you may be correct, its still a crappy thing for the muslims to do if their aim is to promte peace and harmony amongst different peoples.  Its like them pissing on peoples' graves and then wondering why they are despised.  

Additionally, I see this situation like I do the Westboro Bapitist people who protest soldier funerals by showing up with provacative signs.  Muslims who insist on such an offensive insult like this should not be surprised when they are held in the same regard as we do the Westboro Baptist mob.  

Just because you may have a legal right to do something, does not make it the right thing to do in the overall scheme of things.  If these muslims truly wanted to promote peace and moderation, placing this mess at WTC would be the last place to do it.  

Kazan

• Getbig V
« Reply #22 on: August 11, 2010, 07:41:27 PM »

The only way it is unconstitutional is if the government tells you can't worship whatever god you choose, or make you join the "Church of America" that the government runs.

But in the big picture of things, like I posted, there is some wacky shit going on with the financing of this thing. Where will this lead, if I had to guess the money trail leads to the Saudi's.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #23 on: August 11, 2010, 07:44:35 PM »
Nope, ...but I know a few people, myself included who would be willing to murder evangelicals if I had to, in order to preserve my life and sanity. I don't consider it hypocritical in the least. One is free to choose to not enter the mosque. In the case of the evangelicals I referred, I was not free to walk away, as they followed and harassed me, and refused to stop to the point, where the confrontation almost became physical. Would I kick the crap out of one of them if I had to? ABSOLUTELY! Would I kill one if I had to? ABSOLUTELY! You can hide behind your bible, and your labels of Christian, conservative etc, all you want, but your willful twisting of my words demonstrates the quality of your character or lack thereof.

Listen Twisted Sister, I didn't say anything about the Bible, Christians, conservatives, etc.  And I won't waste my time posting all of  your quotes again.  Everyone who regularly posts on this board knows what you have said and how sick you are.  I couldn't give a rip what you think about my character, etc.  Only one of us insulted a dead person's mother on this board.    

And yes, you are a hypocrite of the highest order.  But this thread isn't about you.  Or me.  

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #24 on: August 11, 2010, 07:45:35 PM »
link please...

I already have a thread on it and its confirmed by the State Department.