Author Topic: Heart Rate Question  (Read 1220 times)

disturbia

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
Heart Rate Question
« on: August 12, 2010, 06:21:37 PM »
I'm 44 years old, my resting heart rate is 60 bpm. You are all aware what I look like and what my goal is. What should my heart rate be when doing treadmill (or bike or whatever)

SgtSpar

• Getbig III
Re: Heart Rate Question
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2010, 06:54:34 PM »
If you don't want to read that, about 140.

Tapeworm

• Getbig V
  • Hold Fast
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2010, 06:57:17 PM »
Off the top of my head, I'd say don't exceed 120 bpm for another month or so.  Or stay lower if you feel like that's unsustainable.  Achieve a fair level of aerobic fitness before you start pushing yourself.

disturbia

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2010, 07:01:27 PM »
Off the top of my head, I'd say don't exceed 120 bpm for another month or so.  Or stay lower if you feel like that's unsustainable.  Achieve a fair level of aerobic fitness before you start pushing yourself.

120 is the area i have been operating in, I was just wondering if it was too low

Tapeworm

• Getbig V
  • Hold Fast
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2010, 07:12:50 PM »
120 is the area i have been operating in, I was just wondering if it was too low

If it feels too easy, go a little harder.  Just don't be huffin' & puffin' too early on.  Definitely no Tabata/ interval stuff imo.

SgtSpar

• Getbig III
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2010, 12:09:55 AM »
The range for our age is 120 - 180.  I try to stay at 140.  You get some cardio and you are well into the fat-burning range.

G_Thang

• Getbig V
  • The World South of the USA isnt for pussies!
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2010, 12:32:41 AM »
I'm 44 years old, my resting heart rate is 60 bpm. You are all aware what I look like and what my goal is. What should my heart rate be when doing treadmill (or bike or whatever)

60 use to be Brady.  now... it's 40.  as far as on the go...150 plus would work for you.  V-Tach.  :o

anything to mess with you...disturbia.

disturbia

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2010, 12:46:25 AM »
60 use to be Brady.  now... it's 40.  as far as on the go...150 plus would work for you.  V-Tach.  :o

anything to mess with you...disturbia.

>:( >:( >:(

G_Thang

• Getbig V
  • The World South of the USA isnt for pussies!
« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2010, 01:01:59 AM »
>:( >:( >:(

normal sinus is 60-100 (over 90 tachy, so some say 60-80 or so).  your working rate should be 125-150.  if you dont break 100 working...then you need to rent Return of the Living Dead.  ;D

pellius

• Getbig V
  • RIP Keith Jones aka OnlyMe/NoWorries. 1/10/2011
« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2010, 01:04:09 AM »

A friend of mine who runs marathons and 10Ks has a resting heart rate of 35 bpm. I envy guys like that and even you disturbia to have such a strong heart that doesn't have to work as hard as the average person despite your size. I believe the average heart rate is 72 bpm.

I've always been into physical fitness and started  serious weight training at 12 years old. But even before that I did push-ups, pull-ups, I'd do dead lifts with buckets that I filled with rocks. I use to tie a belt around my toy truck and do curls with it. I use to jog 3-4 miles regularly beginning in the 7th grade. When I started seriously competing in Jiu-Jitsu I did a Tabata type protocol. I've never been fat. But despite all that my resting heart rate rarely falls below 90 bpm. Even after I'd wake up after a deep sleep I'd be at around 88-89 bpm. My walk around rate is around 95 bpm.

I never knew why my heart rate was so fast until my mid thirties when I was having one of my "possessed  by demons" training sessions where I was just rolling with a fresh opponent one after another. I use to call it my "to the death training" as I would be just beyond exhausted but just kept going. It was an apt term because I suffered a heart attack. It turned out I have an undersized heart so it has to work harder than normal. Training has helped compensate because during the whole cardiovascular examination it showed I had nice large blood vessels and veins. This probably accounts for some of the veins and vascularity I have. Still, it would probably be a death wish to try to be a muscular 225 lbs at my height of just under 6'2" and maybe one of the reasons I've always had a hard time putting on muscle and weight. I've accepted that I probably won't live to a ripe old age but that doesn't really bother me.

So much in life is determine on the day you're born.