Author Topic: President Obama Owes Los Angeles a Big Apology (Check out the comments)  (Read 794 times)

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Doesnt lie about lifting.
President Obama Owes Los Angeles a Big Apology
By Hunter Walker
Published: August 16, 2010
www.thewrap.com

________________________ ________________________ _______

I am coming to you live from the center of the worst traffic jam I have ever seen in my life. I've been trapped here for over three hours because President Obama and a group of Hollywood insiders are having a fancy fundraiser.

Someone apparently decided that Obama's $30,000-a-plate dinner at the house of "West Wing" producer John Wells necessitated shutting down most of the major east-west through streets in Los Angeles.

As of this writing, they are saying that large stretches of Olympic Boulevard will be shut until 9 p.m. I have also seen indications on the road and on the radio that huge portions of Pico and Santa Monica boulevards are also closed.

Those of you who are familiar with Los Angeles know that closing these three streets mean the entire city will be gridlocked. On LaPeer and Olympic, I was literally barricaded in on a small, residential block for over an hour with at least 50 people.

I can't imagine how many hundreds of others must be stuck in other areas of the city. I also can't imagine how many medical emergencies and accidents have been exacerbated by the gridlock.

If the President was unable to get to John Wells' house without causing this level of disruption, then perhaps he should have done his fundraising somewhere else -- like somewhere accessible by helicopter. Going through this gridlock is extra-painful because I know it is due to partisan fundraising rather than state business.

I don't know who specifically was responsible for the mess -- LADOT, the LAPD or the Secret Service, but I know that it was inexcusable.

http://www.thewrap.com/television/column-post/president-obama-owes-los-angeles-big-apology-20178

________________________ ______________________

When you lost Los angeles liberals - you lost everyone. 

BTW - check out the commnents from fuming Los angeles Residents at this site.  They are pissed! 

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
Re: President Obama Owes Los Angeles a Big Apology (Check out the comments)
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2010, 06:45:27 AM »
I just spoke to producer at KTLA TV. She informed me of two interesting things; First, this fundraiser generated just a million dollars. So our local governemnts of Los Angeles (City, County and BH and Hollywood) Police, Sheriffs, Fire, Traffic, etc., likely spent several times this sum while all the businesses on the West Side surely lost more than this not to mention how many millions of dollars in tax revenues were lost while our businesses were effectively shut down for Obama's million dollar steak dinner. Second, she informed me that they were unable to fly their news helicopters because there was a 30 mile no fly zone!!!!!! Great! We are now one step away from a dictator who controls our media!!!!!!! We need our media to document what happens including what transpired today. However, the Obama administration precluded this media coverage.

Flag 48 people liked this. Like ReplyReply   erv  1 hour ago in reply to Tristram 

It does not matter how much this event costs others. The importatning thing is that it gave the dems $1 million. Who cares if the working class costs are $2 million.

Flag 23 people liked this. Like ReplyReply   BananaEatingJungleMonkey  7 hours ago in reply to Tristram 

wow, great sleuthing tristram. maybe you should work for the secret serv...um nevermind
Flag 2 people liked this. Like ReplyReply   PrimalSophist  6 hours ago 

The democrats just made 1 million dollars while Los Angeles taxpayers had to pay for extra police officers and pay with their personal and business time.

Who else thinks that Obama, Pelosi, and company are simply elitists beholden to Hollywood's agenda? Their actions show that they care nothing for the "people."
Flag Tom Gardner and 31 more liked this Like ReplyReply   Mike H.  9 hours ago 

I am beyond angry at this point. It had taken me over 3 hours to get home from West LA to Hollywood. Traffic was insane! I wonder how many others have lost hours today so that Obama can eat his steak and make some money. I've been home now for about 45 mins and I'm still fuming over this. If this was for official business that's one thing, for people to loose hours of their lives so he could raise money and stuff his stomach is outrageously selfish!

Flag 45 people liked this. Like ReplyReply   DV  9 hours ago 

I just got home after 15-mile, 4.5 hour commute (that's slower than walking!). People who live on the major blocked streets (Olympic and such) could NOT get to their houses or even walk on said streets. There were angry moms with babies, dog walkers, and of course many many stranded drivers stuck for hours. Police officers either had no idea when it would end or were unwilling to share it with public. They wouldn't even tell me which streets were closed - just try your luck and get stuck elsewhere for another hour. This is a complete B.S. A public apology is the LEAST they (Obama, SS) could give us - I highly doubt that they will.

Flag 40 people liked this. Like ReplyReply   DV  9 hours ago in reply to DV 

I forgot to add that I witnessed a few small car accidents during my 4.5 hour nightmare commute - and lots of drivers were swearing at each other, nearly fighting. This is simply unreal.
Flag 20 people liked this. Like ReplyReply   Jane  8 hours ago 

it took us one hour just to make a 2-mile loop back to where we were........ he is a freaking selfish jerk!!
Flag 30 people liked this. Like ReplyReply   Jane  8 hours ago in reply to Jane 

ok... just checked... it wasnt 2 miles... it was actually 1.2 miles!!!!!
Flag 17 people liked this. Like ReplyReply   Glennbeck  5 hours ago in reply to Jane 

It's ok, Jane. I wouldn't expect you to know much about distance. After all, you're only a woman.
Flag 4 people liked this. Like ReplyReply   Mncpanic  8 hours ago 

It was completely ridiculous!!!
I have lived here 26 years and never seen anything like it.
The city should have planned for the complete shut down.
This wasn't a premier or even the fricking marathon.
No Traffic police directing cars!

After almost 3 hours of creeping my way to and through Century City and we had to turn west on Santa Monica. A 3 hour U turn! Thats what pissed me off. LA has traffic, this was just a mess.
someone or maybe several people at LADOT need to be shot.
Or at least tied to my bumper for three hours.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2010, 09:08:38 AM »
Bump. 

Bindare_Dundat

• Getbig V
  • KILL CENTRAL BANKS, BUY BITCOIN.
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2010, 09:41:28 AM »
This was the best one.

Obama must have been doing something really important, so all you people need to stop complaining. He could have been talking about the economee or how were going to get rid of Alqida or heal the world from the poison gases and oil leak. He's doing his best to make the world a better place so hwho cares if you were stuck in a little traffic? People are so selfish, just thinking about themselves while Obama is trying to help all of us. i love you Obama. Yes we can!

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2010, 09:45:07 AM »
This was the best one.

Obama must have been doing something really important, so all you people need to stop complaining. He could have been talking about the economee or how were going to get rid of Alqida or heal the world from the poison gases and oil leak. He's doing his best to make the world a better place so hwho cares if you were stuck in a little traffic? People are so selfish, just thinking about themselves while Obama is trying to help all of us. i love you Obama. Yes we can!

Ha ha ha ha.  Obama was charging 30,000 a couple to take a photo with him to useful idiots in L.A..   

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2010, 12:59:51 PM »
Crime | Government | Medical marijuana | Education | Prop 8 | Traffic | Westside

L.A. NOWSouthern California -- this just in
« Previous Post | L.A. NOW Home | Next Post »

L.A. fuming over Obama traffic, demands investigation [Updated]
August 17, 2010 |  7:23 am

The massive traffic jam that resulted from President Obama's motorcade and speech Monday night in Hancock Park is prompting calls for an investigation from some residents, who say they were caught in traffic for hours.

Obama was only in L.A. for a few hours, but his presence caused numerous streets to be blocked off. [Updated at 11:05 a.m.: Obama left Los Angeles in Air Force One about 9 a.m. Tuesday.]

Residents reported that commutes and errands that typically took minutes turned into hours-long ordeals. One particular complaint was that streets remained blocked for hours -- even when Obama was inside TV producer John Wells' Hancock Park home at a fund-raiser.

"What has occurred is way beyond reasonable and can only be described as negligent," L.A. resident Kevin McCarthy said in an e-mail to The Times. "If it isn't my story, currently evolving, of beginning my 1 mile journey home at 5pm and at 7:50pm now being 3 miles from home with no viable idea of how to get closer, it should be about the two sirens-wailing ambulances I have witnessed stuck in this unnecessary gridlock."

The Los Angeles Fire Department reported no delays for emergency vehicles. But the LAPD heard an earful from angry motorists.

One man, who did not want to give his name, said it had taken his wife four hours to drive home from Brentwood. Another man trying to walk west on 6th Street to his office shouted at the officers blocking his way and told them he wished he had voted for Sen. John McCain (R-Ariz.), Obama's opponent in the 2008 presidential race.

Carlos Garcia, a 25-year-old waiter from the Miracle Mile, had the misfortune of setting out on a run about the time the area went on lockdown. He had planned on a four-mile run, but it turned into 5.5 miles as he tried unsuccessfully to get back home, ultimately waiting 25 minutes at a yellow-police-tape barrier.

"They waved me through, but then they stopped me coming back," he said. "I can't believe they did it during rush hour on a Monday."

-- Maeve Reston, Robert J. Lopez and Shelby Grad

Photos, from top: President Obama waves to the media as he departs Los Angeles International Airport on Aug. 17, 2010. The president exits Marine One and walks across the runway to Air Force One at LAX. A Marine helicopter carrying Obama's staff comes in for landing above the nose of Air Force One shortly before the president departs L.A. Credit: Mark Boster / Los Angeles Times

More from L.A. Now

________________________ _____________

the comments at LT.com over this are equally bad toweards obama over this. 

I really don't think he will make 4 years at this rate. 

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2010, 01:11:53 PM »
Damn - they are killing him at this site: 

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/lanow/2010/08/la-fuming-over-obama-traffic-demands-investigation/comments/page/5/#comments

These types of things really seem to piss people off of all types. 

FFFUUUBBBOOOO!  ! !  ! , piss, pigs blood, puke, and feces be upon you. 

blacken700

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2010, 01:15:14 PM »
a pres. comes to town and the traffic gets fucked up ,boy that something new :D :D is this all you can find for news

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2010, 01:19:46 PM »
I'm all for presidential security, but the arrogance of the security detail just waving people off, not caring how people would get home is beyond reason. If the closures would have at least suggested alternate routes or information as to how to get around the closures, if there had been warning signs far in advance of the closures then the Obama administration would not now owe me and a few hundred thousand other incensed Angelinos about 3 gallons of gasoline and dinner, which by 9 pm I was forced to purchase about 10 miles away from my ultimate destination - home. For a president who talked about emissions limits, the emissions from the cars stuck in trafic that he caused for the sake of raising political money, not to mention the fumes caused from anger coming from the drivers of those cars has worked against him. How much was spent extending security for the president on our dime so that he could raise political money? Those cops and traffic officers were all local, which my taxes pay for! How many gallons of gasoline were wasted? How much cumulative time was wasted in what became virtual parking lots while Mr. Obama raised 1 million from Hollywood gliterati? The careless disregard with which the closures and deviation of traffic was handled reflects directly on the man - whether or not he knew or understood the consequences of his cash-raising jaunts around the country. Stay in DC and do your job! Allow us our dignity to do ours and allow us the opportunity to get home in time to our loved ones without having to be reminded of just how much more important he is than the average American! Yes, protect the President, but not at the ultimate cost of his constituents. Part of that cool million he made should be paid back to Los Angeles as restitution for the sheer havoc he caused. He'll have plenty of time to do speaking tours after his Presidency where he can raise money, for now, DO YOUR JOB IN DC.

Posted by: M Horvat | August 17, 2010 at 09:06 AM

________________________ ________________________ ________________________ _____________________

Spot on 100000%.    I like reading the comments at LAT.  Regular people are utterly livid at Obama over this.  And they should be, he is disgusting, revolting, repugnant, vile, crass, and acts without any regard for the lives of others. 

Screw him.  In november, the far left is going to get wiped out and most likely Obama will reisgn out of shame, allow Biden to carry out the term, and allow Hillary to run.   

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2010, 01:26:28 PM »
Check out these gems from the site.  you left wing commies are FINISHED
________________________ ________________________ ______________________

I have been through a dozen motorcade traffic jams over the last 30 years. NONE were like this one! They usually tie things up for 15-20 minutes. This was four hours of vehicular and pedestrian closure on one of the busiest streets in the city during the busiest time of the day. I swear I am switching parties because of this incompetence. Last night marks a landmark day in my (former) support for Obama. I raised $2000 for him in 2008 and have been supportive, then frustrated, and now outright disappointed by his handling of this country. I'm done. I may not vote for the Republicans, but I sure as heck am not supporting him anymore. I don't care if it's the Secret Service, Villaraigosa, or the LAPD responsible for last night's horrendous street closures, but the buck stops with Obama. The $1 million raised will easily be offset by the millions he and the party will lose from people whose lives (figuratively and literally) were shattered last night.

Posted by: FormerDemocrat | August 17, 2010 at 09:20 AM

This dyed in the wool Liberal (who voted for Obama) is one of those pissed off people. It is unreasonable to not let people get to their homes. I understand that security around the President is essential, but was it REALLY necessary to block of access to street 8 blocks (which is where I live) from where he was? For those who know LA, Northbound streets were blocked from Crenshaw to La Cienega, which is over-kill in trying to protect Hancock Park, most of which is blocked of to the regular Joe motorist anyway (it is a "secluded" neighborhood.)

I never though I'd be this pissed off at Obama for something not politically related. Not that it was directly his fault, but the Secret Service and City of LA, but still, he only raised 1 million for all that mess, so the mess didn't even accomplish anything!

Posted by: TB | August 17, 2010 at 09:22 AM

Ugh I was caught in this traffic for three hours

Posted by: Dan | August 17, 2010 at 09:22 AM

So, now he is going to proceed on his city to city tour to raise more money for the Democratic war chest. Will he inconvenience every city as he did L.A.? What is the final price tag in terms of lost wages, city support, lost opportunities, pollution, etc.? And why do we have to pay for his side projects? He was not elected as "Campaigner in Chief!" He should be in the Oval Office serving the people of the United States instead of serving his own interests! And why do we Americans put up with it year after year from both parties? Would your employer allow you days off your job so you could pursue your fund raising work? And pick up the tab for it? We are paying for this man to be our President and he thinks that means President of the DNC Fund Raising Committee! It is arrogant and wrong and the people need to start holding all our politicians more accountable for what is "official" government work and what is a pursuit to maintain their own power.

Posted by: IndependentCalifornian | August 17, 2010 at 09:22 AM

I'm actually a big Obama fan, but they reportedly raised $1M with this event; what was the cost of Airforce 1, the 6 military copters circling the skies through the afternoon, all of the police that were paid to close the roads, etc. Next, consider the lost productivity of the people. Doctor's appointments in the area were forced to be canceled; meetings were missed. Publicized or not, the end did not justify the means, or so it appears to me. Nowhere near. This is not a complaint against Obama - it's our rediculous system of politics that is so focused on events and appearances. NetMeeting just wouldn't be enough, would it?

Posted by: DBurtt | August 17, 2010 at 09:22 AM

blacken700

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2010, 01:32:48 PM »
oh my god the pres. used airforce 1,how can this be, what a fucking communist asshole :D :D :D :D

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2010, 01:36:13 PM »
Keep your head in the sand fool.   There is a revolution and rebellion brewing against this disgusting regime like you have no idea. 

42% and dropping like a stone support this pofs admn.   

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2010, 01:43:10 PM »
http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/lanow/2010/08/la-fuming-over-obama-traffic-demands-investigation/comments/page/9/#comments

Damn - these are regular folks describing what they went through just so Communist-in-Chief could rake in his $1,000,000 for the RAT party.  One by one people are waking are up to what is occuring here. 

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2010, 01:51:17 PM »
I was so angry at their lack of consideration for LA residents. It was wrong on so many levels. It is especially troubling that this was not an official government business visit. I know I'm being extreme but I will not vote for Obama again because of this. If he can't plan a fundraising trip w/o shutting down a city then how can I expect him to run our country.

Posted by: Bob C | August 17, 2010 at 01:37 PM

tallgerman

• Time Out
  • Getbig IV
  • I love myself a lot.
« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2010, 01:07:32 PM »
yep another obaama fail

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: August 19, 2010, 01:31:46 PM »
yep another obaama fail

Obama is a one man Fail Machine. 

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: August 20, 2010, 10:44:18 AM »
Our Lecturer in Chief
By Andrew Cline on 8.20.10 @ 6:10AM

________________________ ________________________ _

President Obama just can't help himself. It's impulse. Every time he sees the American people, in their infinite and confounding ignorance, pursuing a course they shouldn't, he intervenes to correct them. Such is the view from the clouds on which he placidly floats above us all.

Most politicians speak of the wisdom of the American people. Some even believe it. But not Obama. Time and time again, he takes to the lectern to scold or educate us.

Last Friday, he needlessly jumped into a percolating political controversy -- again -- to enlighten the uneducated masses. This time the subject was the Islamic cultural center proposed to be built two blocks from Ground Zero, where Islamist terrorists murdered more than 2,700 Americans.

"The 9/11 attacks were a deeply traumatic event for our country," he said, beginning what was to be yet another lecture on what he sees as our failure as a people to live up to our values. "And the pain and the experience of suffering by those who lost loved ones is just unimaginable. So I understand the emotions that this issue engenders. And ground zero is, indeed, hallowed ground.

"But let me be clear. As a citizen, and as president, I believe that Muslims have the same right to practice their religion as everyone else in this country. And that includes the right to build a place of worship and a community center on private property in Lower Manhattan, in accordance with local laws and ordinances. This is America. And our commitment to religious freedom must be unshakable."

No one can pack more conceit, more condescension, into two little paragraphs than Barack Obama can. In the first paragraph, he establishes that opponents of the Islamic center are reacting purely emotionally. "I understand the emotions that this issue engenders." In the second, he informs us that, as an enlightened being, he sees this issue properly -- it's about freedom of religion. Appealing to our reverence for the Constitution, he states that "our commitment" (all Americans are bound by creed to agree on this) "must be unshakable."

These are not the words of a president attempting to lead and unite a nation. They are the words of an academic attempting to instruct a class that he considers particularly thick-headed. And they came unprompted. He didn't have to address the issue at all. He wanted to. He needed to. His conscience compelled him to.

This is how President Obama so often gets himself into trouble. He didn't have to weigh in on the Henry Louis Gates Jr. arrest. But he couldn't help himself. He had to use it as a "teachable moment" on race relations.

He didn't have to explain to Joe the Plumber that he intended to "spread the wealth around." He didn't have to tell Democratic donors in San Francisco that rural Pennsylvanians salve their bitterness by clinging to guns and religion. But he just couldn't help himself.

Last year, in his third press conference as president, he couldn't resist telling Americans to wash their hands and cover their mouths when they cough.

Obama has never transitioned from his former job as a college lecturer. The reason is that he really doesn't see his new job as that different. It just has more perks, such as the ability to use force when persuasion fails. And the ability to have paid staffers step forward to clarify one's ill-considered remarks.

The day after asserting that no American should object to an Islamic cultural center near Ground Zero -- "in lower Manhattan," as he put it -- he contradicted himself, saying, "I was not commenting, and I will not comment, on the wisdom of making the decision to put a mosque there. I was commenting very specifically on the right people have that dates back to our founding. That's what our country is about."

If he wasn't giving his approval of a mosque near Ground Zero, then why did he specifically define the location ("lower Manhattan") where he said we must all be unshakably committed to the right of Muslims to build a mosque?

When the press found his clarification not all that clarifying, the president's staff rephrased it. White House Spokesman Bill Burton said on Saturday, "What he said last night, and reaffirmed today, is that if a church, a synagogue or a Hindu temple can be built on a site, you simply cannot deny that right to those who want to build a mosque."

That's a better way to put it. But it still fails to clarify. Here is why. The question never was one of religious freedom -- because the use of government force is not at issue. The question is whether the backers of this Islamic center should build it two blocks from Ground Zero, not whether government should stop them.

In his haste to teach us all a lesson, Obama misread the issue. This is nothing new. As is his habit, he was so eager to talk that he never listened to the conversation into which he injected himself. As with his instant analysis of the Gates affair, he hastily leapt in with a pre-set conclusion. In both instances his conclusion was the same -- I must speak out to show the majority how it is being intolerant of the minority.

Here is a president who presumes that most Americans are intolerant, uneducated simpletons who need to be taught constitutional basics by their president. And in his mind, they have exactly the right president for the job.

Is it any wonder that the more he talks, the lower his poll numbers dip?

Letter to the Editor

StumbleUpon| Digg| Reddit| Twitter| Facebook
Andrew Cline is editorial page editor of the New Hampshire Union Leader. His Twitter ID is Drewhampshire.