Author Topic: George W. Bush on the Rise (Surprisingly) Again  (Read 1518 times)

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
George W. Bush on the Rise (Surprisingly) Again
« on: August 23, 2010, 12:05:54 PM »
I think Colossus predicted something like this would happen.

George W. Bush on the Rise (Surprisingly) Again
Sunday, 22 Aug 2010     
By: David A. Patten

When George W. Bush departed the White House on Jan. 20, 2009, he left as one of the most unpopular presidents in history.

At the time, a Gallup poll found President Bush tallied a mere 34 percent approval. That put him only slightly above the two most unpopular presidents in the era of modern polling: Harry Truman (32 percent when he left office), and Richard Nixon (22 percent when he resigned in disgrace in August 1974.)

Close to two years into President Barack Obama's term, Bush's mojo with the American public appears on the rise.

"President Bush has been diplomatic and gracious since leaving office," former Bush media adviser Mark McKinnon tells Newsmax. "And as Americans view him through the lens of history and compare him to modern presidents who struggle to meet the challenges of the 21st century, President Bush's tenure will continue to look better and better.  It's happening faster than anyone thought."

The turnaround couldn't come at a better time for Republicans who were hoping voters would be forgetting about Obama's predecessor. Their worries are dissipating fast.

The key reason for Bush's rising popularity? Obama's rapidly declining favorability.

A top Democratic pollster in Washington is circulating a poll showing Bush's popularity in key contested congressional districts is now 6 points ahead of Obama's.

"That Bush is more popular than Obama in Democratic-held seats is cause for outright fear," National Journal's Hotline on Call reports.

Bush more popular than Obama? It all depends on which congressional district you're referring to.

Nationally, Obama continues to be the more popular politician.

Gallup's latest poll shows Obama's favorability at 52 percent, compared with Bush's 45 percent.

Yet, these numbers show steady improvement for the one-time Texas governor who led the nation's "war on terror."

Since March 2009, Bush's Gallup rating has climbed 10 points. Obama's favorability during the same period: down by more than 20 points.

The bottom line: just 18 months after leaving office, Bush doesn't look so bad after all — despite the fact that the Obama administration has used him as a political piñata for months.

"All presidents generally hope history will judge them well and that their legacy ratings will improve over time," Gallup's Lydia Saad recently wrote. "That process may be starting for Bush."

For the moment, Bush’s Rocky Balboa-like comeback is happening despite the fact that Bush left the country in the worst financial shape since the Great Depression and ramped up social spending to dizzying heights while nearly doubling the national debt and embroiling the nation in two foreign wars.

The cause for this GOP windfall could be because of the fact that Obama seems to have fallen so far short of the "hope and change" message he promised voters. His actions during his first two years have alienated independent voters in a manner that go well beyond any of Bush's errant ways.

Obama came to the White House lambasting the federal deficit and what he inherited from Bush.

Bush left him with a big deficit "wrapped in a bow waiting for me," Obama told Democratic contributors at a fundraiser in Miami last week. "What did they have to show for the $1.3 trillion deficit that they delivered to us?”

But his first legislative priority was to ram through Congress the largest spending bill in history — the $1.17 trillion stimulus.

As the nation faced intractable unemployment, he focused almost the next 14 months of his administration to pushing through a major healthcare overhaul. "Obamacare," as critics have dubbed it, will add 30 million new patients to government healthcare and will likely cost $1.2 trillion over the next 10 years.

Then there have been the series of flubs and off-message controversies that have made Bush's occasional malapropisms seem like trifles. For months after moving out of the White House, Bush shunned the limelight. President Obama, by contrast, has demonstrated a penchant for stirring up controversy unnecessarily, taking the White House off message.

One obvious example was when he slammed the Cambridge police department for acting “stupidly” in arresting Harvard professor Henry Louis Gates. Obama also fearlessly interjected himself into the ground zero mosque crossfire, and has been hedging his support for the mosque ever since.

Obama's foibles and Bush's own low profile in his post-presidency has created a visible public enemy for voters to vent their wrath against: the Democrats who control Washington.

The strong Bush poll numbers have the Democrats scrambling.

Last week, the Democratic National Committee released a new TV ad titled "Big Choices."

"This fall, Americans face a big choice.,” the ad states. “Do we continue to move forward like Democrats are doing? . . . Or do we go back to the same Republican policies that got us into this mess?"

The video then cuts to an image of President Bush at a podium stating: "Fool me — we can't get fooled again."

The president's brother and former Florida Gov. Jeb Bush quickly entered the fray, blasting Democrats for trying to run against the 43rd president, calling it “a loser issue.”

"If that's all they've got, it's a pretty good indication of the problems that the Democrats face in 2010,” Bush told The New York Times.

The ad assumes Bush fatigue will still resonate with voters. But the latest polls suggest otherwise.

Democrats point to a recent poll by Joel Benenson, the president’s own pollster, showing that voters are more likely to blame Bush than Obama for the moribund economy.

But the Bush voodoo doll hasn't worked for Democrats in key contests, most notably the race for the late Sen. Ted Kennedy's seat that ended with a victory by Republican challenger Scott Brown.

And a deeper look at pro-Obama poll results is illuminating.

The Benenson poll shows that 34 percent of voters say big banks and Wall Street are really to blame for the economy.

Another 24 percent hold profligate consumers responsible. Overall, about 80 percent of respondents now point the finger at someone other than Bush.

So it’s no longer evident the Wall Street meltdown will indelibly mar Bush’s legacy.

And several other factors may be giving momentum to Bush's stealth comeback, including:

. . . .

http://www.newsmax.com/InsideCover/georgebushpollspopular/2010/08/22/id/368129

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Doesnt lie about lifting.
Re: George W. Bush on the Rise (Surprisingly) Again
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2010, 12:17:15 PM »
I have no love lost for GWB.  His second term was awful.   

That being said, he was far better than this absolute catastrophe we are enduring now on so many different levels.   

Neurotoxin

• Getbig IV
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2010, 12:31:56 PM »
let us not forget our GetBig history lesson:

bush has systematically destroyed this country financially.

our country is heading for a severe recession as a result of his failed policies.

in the coming months, the stock market will come crashing down.

mark my words.

Option D

• Getbig V
  • Kelly the Con Way
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2010, 12:34:57 PM »

NOW THATS SCARY..You like nastradamous or some shit

dario73

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2010, 12:53:12 PM »

Let us not forget that when I confronted you on that thread and asked you to specify which policies put into effect by Bush directly affected the economy, and when I cited that Clinton had as much to do with the downturn, you told me not to politicize the thread.

History lesson for you. Legislation is created in Congress. Who was in control of Congress in 2007? Go study the C.R.A under Carter and its expansion under Clinton.

Class is over.

dario73

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2010, 12:54:58 PM »
NOW THATS SCARY..You like nastradamous or some shit

Solely blaming Bush is some bullshit.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2010, 12:58:17 PM »
Solely blaming Bush is some bullshit.

I notice Reid/Pelosi never enter their mix despite the fact that those two harlots have been in control of the congress since 2007. 

This is the same xcrappola from the left in never giving the GOP any credit for the economy from 1995 -2000 while they had congress with Clinton and pushed for fiscally responsible polices. 

Agnostic007

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2010, 01:24:02 PM »
When Bush won re-election I had an awakening. I realized that I was in the minority in my disgust with Bush around that time... I didn't always dislike Bush, but by the time his first term was up I was to a point where I thought everyone saw how he was way over his head, unable to back off a bad decision and forging ahead on policies that were ruining the country.... I came to grips with the fact my opinion didn't much matter. I thought that if America was happy with being in a war with Iraq and losing good american soldiers in what I felt would surely be as successful as Vietnam proved to be, then so be it. I would just do my time at my 9 to 5, hit retirement and find me a nice place up in the hills.

Then Obama came along, promising a change.. I first thought.. aw hell, he is just telling us what we want to hear like everyone else, plus, no chance in hell of getting elected in this country at this time as a black male. As things progressed I watched with contempt, knowing that politicians are always going to be politicians.. suddenly, and without knowing when, I found myself hoping beyond hope that this would be the guy to pull us out of the abiss and set us on a course for prosperity once again.. I admit I was a little elated when he won the election...

Fast forward to now... Holy shit I'm an idiot.... :(

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2010, 01:32:07 PM »
When Bush won re-election I had an awakening. I realized that I was in the minority in my disgust with Bush around that time... I didn't always dislike Bush, but by the time his first term was up I was to a point where I thought everyone saw how he was way over his head, unable to back off a bad decision and forging ahead on policies that were ruining the country.... I came to grips with the fact my opinion didn't much matter. I thought that if America was happy with being in a war with Iraq and losing good american soldiers in what I felt would surely be as successful as Vietnam proved to be, then so be it. I would just do my time at my 9 to 5, hit retirement and find me a nice place up in the hills.

Then Obama came along, promising a change.. I first thought.. aw hell, he is just telling us what we want to hear like everyone else, plus, no chance in hell of getting elected in this country at this time as a black male. As things progressed I watched with contempt, knowing that politicians are always going to be politicians.. suddenly, and without knowing when, I found myself hoping beyond hope that this would be the guy to pull us out of the abiss and set us on a course for prosperity once again.. I admit I was a little elated when he won the election...

Fast forward to now... Holy shit I'm an idiot.... :(

The reality is that Bush was more Obama than McCain was.   McCain sucked ass dont get me wrong,  but for anyone to claim Barry was the anti-Bush was beyond delusional on so many levels. 

I loathed McCain but voted for him for three reasons, The SC, to be a check on the Congress, and three, I like Palin.  Yes i know she is a dunce etc etc, but I prefer a dunce to a coniving thief any day. 

What amuses me most is how mo9st on the left are utterly cluess how TARP really went down, who backed Obama, who is getting the bailouts and special attention from this admn, and whom his policies are intended to benefit. 

Bush = Obama
Obama = Bush. 

Is it any wonder why Bush has remained silent as Barry has trashed him for two years straight on end?   

Agnostic007

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2010, 01:42:22 PM »
The reality is that Bush was more Obama than McCain was.   McCain sucked ass dont get me wrong,  but for anyone to claim Barry was the anti-Bush was beyond delusional on so many levels. 

I loathed McCain but voted for him for three reasons, The SC, to be a check on the Congress, and three, I like Palin.  Yes i know she is a dunce etc etc, but I prefer a dunce to a coniving thief any day. 
What amuses me most is how mo9st on the left are utterly cluess how TARP really went down, who backed Obama, who is getting the bailouts and special attention from this admn, and whom his policies are intended to benefit. 

Bush = Obama
Obama = Bush. 

Is it any wonder why Bush has remained silent as Barry has trashed him for two years straight on end?   

I'm on the fence on that one.. I didn't like Palin, I think McCain made a huge mistake picking her. But a generic dunce over a coniving thief.... I don't know... but I do see your point 

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2010, 01:44:04 PM »
Why would this be shocking?  Anyone with half a brain cell could have told you this would happen--it not unusual at all.  Hell even dipshit GW said this would happen while he was still president!  He went on that whole kick for a while about history judging/seeing him for his good bla bla...  In the last year and a half of his presidency there was a shitload of crap released geared toward molding public perception.  Plus the longer you get away from the president you didn't like, the less people complain...  It's just natural.... Come on, if Bush were still president doing the same things he would still be in the crap wagon with the people.  Of fucking course opinion will rise of him after he is gone.  well freaking duh....  Bar extremes, it will happen like that almost every single time and has for many presidents past.  No news here unless you're fucking retarded.  I could have told you he would see a bump in the years after he was gone 8 years ago or whenever!!!  It's a no shit.... ::)  Hey, guess what?  You're going to see the same thing happen to Obama when he's gone, maybe even to a greater degree with new factors being introduced with his presidency....  no shit huh... ::)

LOL at giving kudos to anyone that predicted this....  It's like predicting that a car will get pulled over going through a red light while passing a cop car in the next lane waiting for the light to change lololol...

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2010, 02:07:13 PM »
 ::)  Yes, everyone predicited this, if you didn't predict this you were stupid, blah blah blah.   ::) 

I think Obama's extremely poor performance has many people realizing that Bush wasn't quite so bad afterall.  The fact Bush is more popular than Obama in some battle ground districts is pretty remarkable:

A top Democratic pollster in Washington is circulating a poll showing Bush's popularity in key contested congressional districts is now 6 points ahead of Obama's.

"That Bush is more popular than Obama in Democratic-held seats is cause for outright fear," National Journal's Hotline on Call reports.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2010, 02:09:12 PM »
::)  Yes, everyone predicited this, if you didn't predict this you were stupid, blah blah blah.   ::) 

I think Obama's extremely poor performance has many people realizing that Bush wasn't quite so bad afterall.  The fact Bush is more popular than Obama in some battle ground districts is pretty remarkable:

Bush was awful - don't kid yourself, its just that Barry picked up where Bush left off and doubled down on insanity.   

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2010, 03:16:32 PM »
Bush was awful - don't kid yourself, its just that Barry picked up where Bush left off and doubled down on insanity.   

I like Bush.  There are some things he did well and some things he didn't do well.  Overall, I don't regret my votes for him, given the alternatives. 

It's pretty fascinating that Obama rode Bush hatred into office and is now less popular than Bush in some places, not even halfway through his term. 

OzmO

• Getbig V
  • Drink enough Kool-aid and you'll think its healthy
« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2010, 03:22:26 PM »
I like Bush.  There are some things he did well and some things he didn't do well.  Overall, I don't regret my votes for him, given the alternatives. 

It's pretty fascinating that Obama rode Bush hatred into office and is now less popular than Bush in some places, not even halfway through his term. 

That's the problem, no real alternatives.

Bush's popularity increase makes sense considering what he left the office with.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #15 on: August 23, 2010, 03:30:13 PM »
presidents always increase in popularity after they leave office.  Anyone have Bush1 and Clinton numbers the day they left office vs. 5 years later?

Obama will be the same way, fellahs. 

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: August 23, 2010, 04:14:22 PM »
That's the problem, no real alternatives.

Bush's popularity increase makes sense considering what he left the office with.

True.  I don't a rise in his popularity as surprising.  I think the degree and speed, and in particular how he compares to Obama, is surprising. 

OzmO

• Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: August 23, 2010, 05:21:05 PM »
True.  I don't a rise in his popularity as surprising.  I think the degree and speed, and in particular how he compares to Obama, is surprising.  

Perhaps, but things are down right crappy, OB was given pretty unique challenges.  

Lets say this whole stimulus thing never happened, where would we be now?  (pretend the UHC scam never happened too  :))

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #18 on: August 23, 2010, 06:15:25 PM »
Perhaps, but things are down right crappy, OB was given pretty unique challenges.  

Lets say this whole stimulus thing never happened, where would we be now?  (pretend the UHC scam never happened too  :))

Probably better off than we are now.  Failure is part of the system.  We have bankruptcy courts for a reason.  Every failure by one business means opportunity for another.  But I guess we'll never know and now we're stuck with figuring out how to deal with the money Bush and Obama printed to throw at problems.     

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #19 on: August 23, 2010, 06:43:49 PM »

The Stim Bill is more expensive then the Iraq War.  Fact. 

No one said do nothing, but what they did was a complete disaster and many ofd us said so at the time that it would fail.  You can look it up.  The Stim BIll was the very first thing Obama did and it crashed and burned like everything else he has done. 

Fury

• Getbig V
  • All aboard the USS Leverage
« Reply #20 on: August 23, 2010, 06:47:10 PM »

$800 billion richer.

OzmO

• Getbig V
« Reply #21 on: August 23, 2010, 07:34:13 PM »
The Stim Bill is more expensive then the Iraq War.  Fact. 

No one said do nothing, but what they did was a complete disaster and many ofd us said so at the time that it would fail.  You can look it up.  The Stim BIll was the very first thing Obama did and it crashed and burned like everything else he has done. 

Iraq war was a waste of billions and thousands.  All the stim bills seems to have done is delay the inevitable which makes it a waste too.  However, I don't know enough about what the Stim bill has done or is doing to say further.  In addition I don't know if not doing it would have made it far worse.

OzmO

• Getbig V
« Reply #22 on: August 23, 2010, 07:42:53 PM »
$800 billion richer.

That's for sure.  And maybe much of money wouldn't have been wasted like it was.

Arnold jr

• Getbig V
  • fleshandiron.com
« Reply #23 on: August 23, 2010, 08:25:29 PM »
Iraq war was a waste of billions and thousands.  All the stim bills seems to have done is delay the inevitable which makes it a waste too.  However, I don't know enough about what the Stim bill has done or is doing to say further.  In addition I don't know if not doing it would have made it far worse.

Lets put it in terms everyone here can understand. The Stimulus Bill is like someone getting giant pec implants and then trying to bench 500lbs...sorry, ain't gonna happen.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #24 on: August 23, 2010, 08:28:46 PM »
Lets put it in terms everyone here can understand. The Stimulus Bill is like someone getting giant pec implants and then trying to bench 500lbs...sorry, ain't gonna happen.

very good quote here