Author Topic: a huge golds gym is opening near me, are they still a good chain?  (Read 5622 times)

judochoke

• Getbig III
went today to check out a brand new golds gym that is being build near me. fullerton ca. guy said the will have dbells to 150, heavy bags, a ring, totally tricked out place. it will open in december. my question is- do they run the golds like a bunch of pussies. no chalk, no getting crazy, no heavy lifting, no tank tops, ect. they promise you the world to get you to sign up. anyone have any comments about how the are treated by the new golds. judo

benchmstr

• Getbig V
  • Raging drunk
Re: a huge golds gym is opening near me, are they still a good chain?
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2010, 05:28:10 PM »
the one here isnt for me.....i go to powerhouse now...

bench

SF1900

• Getbig V
  • Team Hairy Chest Henda
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2010, 05:28:24 PM »
If they don't have chains then don't even bother joining. Real men workout with chains.

X

BayGBM

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2010, 05:34:31 PM »
If they don't have chains then don't even bother joining. Real men workout with chains.

Sorry, but trying to look "tough" or "hard core" when you're 5'6" just doesn't work.  ::)

saucetradomous

• Competitors
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2010, 05:37:42 PM »
Sorry, but trying to look "tough" or "hard core" when you're 5'6" just doesn't work.  ::)

I found it quite humorous when branch made that video for md (I believe) where he was off hunting and he steps out of his huge truck.  Looked like he needed a step stool just to get back in.

~UN_$ung~

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • Been real, been nice...but it hasnt been Real Nice
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2010, 05:42:12 PM »
from what i understand at least anecdotaly.............G olds gym corp is taking a LOT of steps to portray the chain as a regular joe, fitness center for the people as compared to a bodybuilder-centric testosterone den.....

to the point where there are actually turning away bodybuilder-looking people for personal training postitons in favor of skinny twinks

but of course this is highly dependent on each individual franchise and the location of said franchise 

still, im disappointed in where the newer management has taken the country

G_Thang

• Getbig V
  • The World South of the USA isnt for pussies!
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2010, 05:46:12 PM »

::)

stay puff and soft writing about manly tough and hardcore.  next?

SF1900

• Getbig V
  • Team Hairy Chest Henda
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2010, 05:46:27 PM »

Hey, I'm only 5'5"  :D But I agree with you. Actually, ditch the chains no matter how tall you are  ::)
X

BB

• Getbig V
  • I hope I'm not boring you.
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2010, 05:55:38 PM »
"but of course this is highly dependent on each individual franchise and the location of said franchise" .

This. Some are as hardcore as they come(short of being a pit), while others are little better than your local Bally's. The only way you'll know is to go after it is built. If it actually has #150's out for use after it is built, than there's a good chance that it will atleast be decent for a little while. Also ask if they'll have bumper plates and lifting platforms. If a gym will actually allow the Oly-lifts, than it's probably a decent place to train.

Chalmers

• Getbig I
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2010, 05:57:20 PM »
it depends on the gym... with personage owners, it's thorny to say they're all first-rate, or all ghastly.

Master Blaster

• Getbig V
  • Not sure if getbig full of trolls or trolls getbig
« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2010, 06:00:15 PM »
went today to check out a brand new golds gym that is being build near me. fullerton ca. guy said the will have dbells to 150, heavy bags, a ring, totally tricked out place. it will open in december. my question is- do they run the golds like a bunch of pussies. no chalk, no getting crazy, no heavy lifting, no tank tops, ect. they promise you the world to get you to sign up. anyone have any comments about how the are treated by the new golds. judo

How much $ per month? Is it a contract?

JimmyJam1974

• Getbig V
  • "No sir, the ball ain't heavy." - Herschel Walker
« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2010, 06:18:21 PM »
important question for this gym... will they let you drink beer in the parking lot near your van?

you must ask
U

HTexan

• Getbig V
  • Heath must lose!!
« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2010, 06:30:12 PM »
talk to the owner. You must bring you own chalk to my local golds.
A

outby43

• Getbig IV
  • Libertarians 2016
« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2010, 06:48:32 PM »
The Golds I go to has everything one needs to get the job done.  If you can stay away from the peak hours of 4pm to 8:00pm then you should be cool.

Juiced up 20 and 30 year olds....check
Death stares after a set on bench...check
Treadmills behind stair masters.... double check   :P
150 lbs dumbbells (with dust on them)...check

We have BB competitors and MMA fighters at the location I go to.  I told the story a while back about the douche that came in wearing some mma championship belt.  Good for him but c'mon... ::)

Howard

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2010, 07:50:29 PM »
The Golds I go to has everything one needs to get the job done.  If you can stay away from the peak hours of 4pm to 8:00pm then you should be cool.

We have BB competitors and MMA fighters at the location I go to.  I told the story a while back about the douche that came in wearing some mma championship belt.  Good for him but c'mon... ::)

Great post in classic get big format. Bravo and well played my fellow meathead.  :D

Howard

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: August 25, 2010, 07:51:46 PM »
If they have the equipme nt you need and are open the hrs you want, go for it. The wts don't know if some twink is acting stupid or some girl is bending over , etc. Just lift and ignore any crap.

HTexan

• Getbig V
  • Heath must lose!!
« Reply #16 on: August 26, 2010, 07:10:27 PM »
Hahahqhqha
A

NaturalWonder83

• Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: August 26, 2010, 07:12:51 PM »
make sure to get your guest passes
w

BIG DUB

• Getbig IV
« Reply #18 on: August 26, 2010, 07:16:15 PM »

LOL @ #2

DK II

• Getbig V
  • Call me 4 steroids: 571-332-2588 or 571-249-4163
« Reply #19 on: August 29, 2010, 06:42:43 PM »

Yep, this sounds exactly like the Gold's that i train in. Except for the death stares, people over here are rather shy, lol.

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
« Reply #20 on: August 30, 2010, 01:04:13 AM »
Golds gyms now a days are about as "hardcore" as Curves. Just because a gym is huge doesn't mean its worth a shit!

Tito24

• Getbig V
  • I'm a large man but.. one with a plan
« Reply #21 on: August 30, 2010, 03:00:08 AM »

haha.

SS

• Getbig V
  • The new and improved SS.
« Reply #22 on: August 30, 2010, 07:26:21 AM »

;D

SS

• Getbig V
  • The new and improved SS.
« Reply #23 on: August 30, 2010, 07:27:18 AM »
Why didn't you just ask the "guy" ::)

Tito24

• Getbig V
  • I'm a large man but.. one with a plan
« Reply #24 on: August 30, 2010, 07:28:13 AM »
hes on top of the food chain