Author Topic: Kaz stories  (Read 49570 times)

JimmyThomson

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
Re: Kaz stories
« Reply #100 on: August 06, 2005, 04:42:57 PM »
Hey Onlyme, did Kaz ever tell you about his goldfish eating ability ? He could swallow 50 whole (until he cut his gizzard). I knew Kaz vary well when he competed in Scotland in the 80's becaues Dougie Edmunds, myself and Jim Pollock were the driving force within the Strongman / Highland games circuit within the IFSA at the time. Did you hear about the time he cried after OD finished his overhead presses at the Pure Strength Challenge 1989 ? OD was pressing 100lb dumbells for reps but his back was damaged and he put them down after 2 reps. He picked them up again and pressed 18 more. Kaz was moved to tears at the courage of the man.
Master of the Masters.

onlyme

• Getbig V
  • Don't Fuck With Bears
« Reply #101 on: August 06, 2005, 04:57:23 PM »
Good story Jimmy.  No I don't remember if he told about the goldfish.  I think if he did I would have had him do that at my show.  I remeber hearing about the OD Wilson thing.  He was a huge man. 

Lord Humungous

• Getbig V
  • REVOLUTION CALLING!
« Reply #102 on: August 08, 2005, 06:21:08 AM »
Hey Onlyme, did Kaz ever tell you about his goldfish eating ability ? He could swallow 50 whole (until he cut his gizzard). I knew Kaz vary well when he competed in Scotland in the 80's becaues Dougie Edmunds, myself and Jim Pollock were the driving force within the Strongman / Highland games circuit within the IFSA at the time. Did you hear about the time he cried after OD finished his overhead presses at the Pure Strength Challenge 1989 ? OD was pressing 100lb dumbells for reps but his back was damaged and he put them down after 2 reps. He picked them up again and pressed 18 more. Kaz was moved to tears at the courage of the man.

Really cool story Jimmy- keep em comming guys
X

Scimowser

• Getbig V
  • Make them remember you
« Reply #103 on: August 08, 2005, 10:25:41 AM »
wasnt bill able to bend a coin in half by simply closing his hand due to his grip strength?
Scouser on Tour

Joe Roark

• Expert
  • Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #104 on: August 08, 2005, 04:34:23 PM »
wasnt bill able to bend a coin in half by simply closing his hand due to his grip strength?

No.

knny187

• Getbig V
« Reply #105 on: August 08, 2005, 04:56:19 PM »
I remember when Kaz would claim in the WSM competitons....that he had the strongest legs in the world.

Does anyone have a story or facts to prove otherwise?

reichsfuehrer SS

« Reply #106 on: August 08, 2005, 07:11:26 PM »
he said that in response to Dave Waddington, who was one of the first 1000 pound squatters, Dave was competeing against Bill in either the 80,81 or 82 WSM.

onlyme

• Getbig V
  • Don't Fuck With Bears
« Reply #107 on: August 08, 2005, 07:54:24 PM »
The quarter thing is somethign quite a few people can do.  Most people knwo Mike Dayton did it allot.  There is an old man on Kauai that does it too.  I know Kaz does the frying pan thing.  I don't know if he ever did it but I would think he could if he worked on it.

Joe Roark

• Expert
  • Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #108 on: August 09, 2005, 04:26:24 AM »
Onlyme,
The quarter feat is not possible as asked- using one hand.

To be candid I do not think it is possible- or at least has been done- using two hands without tampering.

There was an older man discussed on the GripBoard who claimed this, but when, unknown to him, a marked quarter was given to him, he tore it in half then handed it back. But it was not the same quarter.

Scimowser

• Getbig V
  • Make them remember you
« Reply #109 on: August 09, 2005, 04:33:04 AM »
i once saw a programme about a man who used to be a gymnast. He fell from the swings and broke his back, with docs telling him he would never walk again. He built his own rehab equiptment and became so strong he could catch 25kg balls on the back of his neck like a soccer ball when juggling them, and yes he bent a coin in half as the cameras watched. So it is my opinion that its possible

just dont ask me his name!
Scouser on Tour

Lord Humungous

• Getbig V
  • REVOLUTION CALLING!
« Reply #110 on: August 09, 2005, 06:34:13 AM »
Ive always admired the hand strength of men like Brookfield, and Sorin. The ability to tear phone books, packs of cards and 16 penny spikes is awsome. Id love to have an upclose looks at their forearms and hands while they do feats like this.
X

BB

• Getbig V
  • I hope I'm not boring you.
« Reply #111 on: August 09, 2005, 08:57:26 AM »
On the coin issue, I'd give it a maybe. One important question that needs to asked is the type and age of the coin. While I've seen old and foreign coins that seemed like they could be bent, I doubt a modern recent American coin could be bent.

The metallurgy, etc... is just too good.

onlyme

• Getbig V
  • Don't Fuck With Bears
« Reply #112 on: August 09, 2005, 09:54:21 AM »
I didn't realize it was with one hand.  How did Mike Dayton do it.  Also, the phone book thing is impressive but there is a technique.  I could never do it till Kaz showed me the technique as did Gus Rethwisch.  I've seen very skinny people do this.  Allot of technique with bending the spine of the book

crownshep

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #113 on: August 09, 2005, 10:07:22 AM »
Now this is really weird,as i scanned an article today and posted it on ironage,and then i come on here and Jimmy is talking about the goldfish,so here`s the text.

crownshep

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #114 on: August 09, 2005, 10:14:05 AM »
For some reason the text isn`t as clear on here as on ironage,if you have trouble reading it here,have a look on ironage under a thread titled "Bill and the goldfish"

crownshep

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #115 on: August 09, 2005, 10:15:17 AM »
Kaz in a kilt.

onlyme

• Getbig V
  • Don't Fuck With Bears
« Reply #116 on: August 09, 2005, 11:46:46 AM »
Well I just called Bill at home but left a message with his wife Manon since he is out of town.  I don't like calling his cell. but I might.  He gets back on Thursday.  SO I will ask him directly about the coin thing.  See what else I can get out of him.  He is a great guy and most things said about his strength are true.

knny187

• Getbig V
« Reply #117 on: August 09, 2005, 12:06:49 PM »
cool Onlyme

Joe Roark

• Expert
  • Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #118 on: August 09, 2005, 04:24:45 PM »
I don't think Bill has ever claimed to be able to do it- but if he has, please ask where and when.

Bossa

• Getbig IV
  • Is that Bossa it must be, I heard he husky
« Reply #119 on: August 14, 2005, 12:03:49 AM »
Hey Onlyme did you ever armwrestle Scott Norton? I heard he was world champion several times (beat cleve dean) as well as benched mid 600's in the 80's.  He is a pro wrestler now.  He had a few brief shots in over the top.  Here is a pic of him to refresh memory

Scimowser

• Getbig V
  • Make them remember you
« Reply #120 on: August 14, 2005, 02:45:08 AM »
how they ever labelled someone that big "Flash" ill never know. But fuckin hell he was strong!
Scouser on Tour

onlyme

• Getbig V
  • Don't Fuck With Bears
« Reply #121 on: August 14, 2005, 03:33:29 AM »
Yes I knew Scott.  I talked about him earlier.  He was huge.  And they called him Flash cause he pinned guys in a flash.  Hardly ever did his matchs last more than a half a second.  He was unreal quick.  He beat me the first time we met in Anaheim.  When I showed up I saw the competition and thought Ihad that tournament in the bag.  I went to the bathroom and saw Scott for the first time.  He was fucking huge.  He weighed about 360 I was 300.  Plus he is abolut 6'3" or 6'4".  Huge arms and huge forearms and brachradialus.

Well he beat the shit out me.  SO when the Over the Top world championships came up I knew it would be either me or him.  I wasn;t worried about to many others especially as strong as I was then.  I qualified for the World's at the Over the Top tourney in Denver.

Anyway, we knew that the final would have me and him in it if we worked it out right.  I beat a few guys then when me and Scott went.  I now this sounds weird but this is what happened.  The loser of our match would have to wrestle Clean Dean.  He was a guy I needed to get back at for when he beat me in Beverly Hills.  Me and Scott were both undefeated.  The whole thing was they wanted Cleave and Scott to be in the finals.  Well I wanted to beat CLeave then the would have put me in the finals with Scott.  SInce it appeared Scott wasn't going to lose.  SO me and Scott agreed that I would throw the match between us so I wouldn't use any energy and be strong for Cleve.  SO when we went up we looked at each other and I literally had a zero load and let Scott pin me.  Scott is in the finals now.  So my next match is against Cleave.

Well they called out names but what I did was I let Cleave go up first and have to stay up there standing up for a long time while I waited till the last second in fact they were going to disqualify me.  But I did this cause Cleave was about 6'6" 660 lbs is what he weighed at that time.  He had a hard time standing up and was getting tired.  I needed every advantage as I could get.  Anyway we hooked up and the match lasted almost 1:30 seconds.  It was unreal keeping this guy from pinning me.  He so fat but he was so strong.  At the time he was a 9 time world wristwrestling champ.  Well anyway I won.  They raised my hand and called me the winner.

Well then the promoter who is not supposed to have any say so in thematches or anything came up on stage and said I touched my shoulder to my arm and I should have been disqualified.  SO they gave th match to Cleave.  Everryone went crazy yelling shit and throwing tuff on stage.  My best freind almsot wnet up and hit the guy.  It was unreal.  The judges even came up to me after the event and said it was bullshit.  In fact one of the refs complained enough where the promnoter pulled him out of the event after that.

I complained to him and he said to me if Cleave agrees to pull again then we can have a rematch.  Shit I went and asked Cleave and he said no way in the world.  he had his own heart doctor that travled with him and he said to me that I had to leave cause he had to treat him.  Oh well.  Scott ended up beating the shit out of him

In the truckers division is where Rick Zumwalt and John Brezenk competed for the $100,000 Volvo truck (the one n the movie).  That match was great.  Rick cheated so bad it almost caused a fight.  It was great.  That event lasted 19 hours.  SOme of us that lasted till the end were sleeping and had to be woke up when our match was called.  They had guards at the doors so people coldn't leave.  The extras in the movie I mean in the crowd.  The got feed pizza for the whole day.  And no one got paid.  I pity those people.

I'm not 100% sure but I think this is me going up to the table to wrestle Scott.  I had some really good pics that the staff photgrpaher from Over the Top gave me but lost them who knows where.  I know most of them Tony Halme through out when he moved.  I had some stuff stored at his place.

knny187

• Getbig V
« Reply #122 on: August 14, 2005, 11:21:03 AM »
as usual Only.....

great stories

Bossa

• Getbig IV
  • Is that Bossa it must be, I heard he husky
« Reply #123 on: August 14, 2005, 11:36:48 AM »
Cool, thanks Onlyme....here is a quick blurb about Halme and Norton:

Scott Norton vs. Tony Halme, early 90's
Both were in a Japanese bar, when Halme flattened Norton for an unknown reason. Norton reportedly put up no resistance whatsoever and has since claimed he was drunk at the time of the incident. WINNER: Halme. Had Norton been sober, trust me he wouldn't have such an easy time.

onlyme

• Getbig V
  • Don't Fuck With Bears
« Reply #124 on: August 14, 2005, 02:04:45 PM »
I've told the story on here about Scott getting jumped in the elevator.  he put 4 or so guys in the hospital.  I still think one on one Tony would take Scott.  Tony is a mean muther with that Finnish attitude.  But if I was to add a thirsd guy in the mix I would pic Gus Rethwisch over both of them.  Mayb not now since Gus is so much older but 10 years ago Gus in a heartbeat.

I told the story earlier of me and Tony got a call from a friend of ours that got beat up by a couple of Vegas mob guys.  Well my friend told us the story so me and Tony flew to Vegas to set these to washed up mob hit men straight.  It was so fun and Tony did a great job while I watched his back and picked up on the receptionist.  No more bad acting mob guys came to see my friend