Author Topic: Kaz stories  (Read 49574 times)

Lord Humungous

• Getbig V
  • REVOLUTION CALLING!
Re: Kaz stories
« Reply #25 on: July 24, 2005, 03:51:59 PM »
Thanks for the storie Onlyme its cool of you to share them with us.

Thanks!!
X

reichsfuehrer SS

« Reply #26 on: July 24, 2005, 06:55:29 PM »
the funniest thing was when they had the sumo wrestling event and Bill just pushed John Gamble around like a ragdoll, Gamble was a champion 275 powerlifter.

Bossa

• Getbig IV
  • Is that Bossa it must be, I heard he husky
« Reply #27 on: July 24, 2005, 07:35:18 PM »
the funniest thing was when they had the sumo wrestling event and Bill just pushed John Gamble around like a ragdoll, Gamble was a champion 275 powerlifter.

And later became head of strength & conditioning for Miami Dolphins

Lord Humungous

• Getbig V
  • REVOLUTION CALLING!
« Reply #28 on: July 25, 2005, 07:13:41 PM »
Only-

How well do you think Kaz and JP Sigmarson stacked up- I think they only went head to head once and it was after Kaz tore his peck.
X

freeagain

• Time Out
  • Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #29 on: July 25, 2005, 08:41:31 PM »
Just wondering if anyone had stories about Bill Kazmier first hand or hear say. Ive always thought that Kaz pound for pound was probably the strongest man to walk the earth.

its interestin that you take the pro-american stance  ;D

i think a few swedish/scandinavian nationals would strongly disagree with you on this one...

and so would the rest of the world!  ;)

JP kicked his ass and was a lot lighter in bodyweight!

its just when kaz very briefly dominated strongman ... the american hype machine kicked in and blew his reputation up out of all proportions!

sigmunson was a phenom .. followed by other scandinavian phenoms ... kaz was dust !

thank you for your time!

onlyme

• Getbig V
  • Don't Fuck With Bears
« Reply #30 on: July 25, 2005, 09:06:23 PM »
Once again age is playing into this.  Kaz I am sure is older than any of these guys mentioned from Europe.  I think Kaz has more strength than any of these guys have when he was at his tops.  The only thing now is that allot of the events require just as much technique as it does strength.  You could be the strongest but if you don't have the technique then you probably won't do so well.  The log lift when Kaz did it was sheer strength with no technique.  Just lift and power it over. I can't think of the guys name but the pretty fat guy who really doesn't have much in technique but he lifts incredible weight.

Jp is undoubtly strong as all hell and for his height is really unreal.  But Kaz will be my favorite for sheer strength and endurance over anyone. 

freeagain

• Time Out
  • Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #31 on: July 25, 2005, 09:44:02 PM »

sigmunson is no longer with us im afraid.. dropped dead in the gym with a dicky ticker!

that guy was totally unbeatable

HavoX

• Getbig IV
  • Shamed by thunderdome
« Reply #32 on: July 26, 2005, 04:38:22 AM »
i believe it is glen ross.  big and sloppy (his form haha)

freeagain

• Time Out
  • Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #33 on: July 26, 2005, 06:57:31 AM »

f'uckin hell... GLENN ROSS! ;D

that guy is a walkin angina attack , that one!

a big fat bastard of a bloke.. who wins mr great britain now and again ... but is as much use as a male nipple when it comes to mixin it with 'athletes' *cough* on the international circuit!

with all that stress and strain on his fat congested heart chambers... i expect/hope he'll croak it live on TV at some point! ;D

in fact ill take bets on it!

and hasnt gary taylor shrunk to a shadow of his former self since winnin world's strongest man in the early 90s.  :o

he was another dorian , that one.

with an awesome/ludicrouse over muscular GH  pot belly! :o

and jamie read... and geoff capes,lol

awwww britain's finest monsters!

Lord Humungous

• Getbig V
  • REVOLUTION CALLING!
« Reply #34 on: July 26, 2005, 07:12:54 AM »
its interestin that you take the pro-american stance  ;D

i think a few swedish/scandinavian nationals would strongly disagree with you on this one...

and so would the rest of the world!  ;)

its just when kaz very briefly dominated strongman ... the american hype machine kicked in and blew his reputation up out of all proportions!

sigmunson was a phenom .. followed by other scandinavian phenoms ... kaz was dust !

thank you for your time!

Free your a funny guy  ;D

If Kaz had a brief carrer as a strong man I wish mine was so brief.  Its fun to look at all those great European strongmen after the ended thier careers- JP before he died, Ver Magnusson, Ahola, Vertinan, Taylor. They all look like rugby players. Kaz is in his 50s and is still a monster today.

John Paul was no doubt a strong dude. But his lifts NEVER rivaled Kaz's bench, squat, and deadlift. As far as pure raw power their is no contest.

I guess the rest of the world must be pro american  ;D

PS for the record my family is from Croatia  :)
X

Dan-O

• Getbig V
« Reply #35 on: July 26, 2005, 09:19:02 AM »

Didn't Kaz and Sigmarsson both weigh in the low 300's?  I coulda sworn they were nearly the same bodyweight, maybe Kaz had 10-20 lbs. on JP.

Bossa

• Getbig IV
« Reply #36 on: July 26, 2005, 10:00:16 AM »
f'uckin hell... GLENN ROSS! ;D

that guy is a walkin angina attack , that one!

a big fat bastard of a bloke.. who wins mr great britain now and again ... but is as much use as a male nipple when it comes to mixin it with 'athletes' *cough* on the international circuit!

with all that stress and strain on his fat congested heart chambers... i expect/hope he'll croak it live on TV at some point! ;D

in fact ill take bets on it!

and hasnt gary taylor shrunk to a shadow of his former self since winnin world's strongest man in the early 90s.  :o

he was another dorian , that one.

with an awesome/ludicrouse over muscular GH  pot belly! :o

and jamie read... and geoff capes,lol

awwww britain's finest monsters!

See my avatar...that's a cartoon version of Big Glenn  ;D

Even Kaz himself has said that for brute strength Glenn is #1, and would have given Kaz his biggest challenge among todays competitors.  As for accomplishing nothing in international cometition...he fared pretty well at the Arnold strongman..breaking hummer DL record (a contest Henry, Gillinghams among MANY others have competed in).

Glenn is obese yes, but the guy is unbelievably strong...strongest man on teh planet IMO

oh, and its Jamie Reeves  ;)

onlyme

• Getbig V
  • Don't Fuck With Bears
« Reply #37 on: July 26, 2005, 10:40:27 AM »
Here is a link to his page.  He was a compettive Bodybuilder before the strongman.  He must have got tired of the dieting.

http://www.btinternet.com/~philip.j.wright/glenrosspage.htm

http://www.btinternet.com/~philip.j.wright/GlennRossBefore.htm

reichsfuehrer SS

« Reply #38 on: July 26, 2005, 11:47:36 AM »
speaking of great American strongmen how about O.D. Wilson, 6'6"410 lbs., incredibly strong, 895 lb. deadlift, 1000 lb. squat got beat by Sigmarsson in either 91 or 92 in the last event, a stupid foot race around a track with like 220 lbs. on the shoulders, what the hell does that have to do with strength, that is what onlyme was talking about.

Bossa

• Getbig IV
« Reply #39 on: July 26, 2005, 12:25:34 PM »
Here is a link to Ross's profile, it has some of his best lifts etc

http://www.irishstrongman.com/aboutus/profile.asp

Some strongman clips (one with Ross)

http://www.world-strongmancup.at/english/clips.htm#

Pressing Thomas Inch DB:

Log Lift

Hummer DL

OK, sorry for hijacking the thread...as u can see I am a fan, and hate to see him get bashed...back to Kaz

Lord Humungous

• Getbig V
  • REVOLUTION CALLING!
« Reply #40 on: July 26, 2005, 12:36:52 PM »
No problem Bossa,

Anyone that can lift the Thomas Inch in my book is a bad ass- I think there were 3 right? Ross, Thomas himself and Kaz. Maybe one or 2 others( I think Pfister came close).
I love reading stories of old time strong men like, Uni, Slim the hammer man, Apollon, Syr. The kind of brute strength these guys had was unreal. I did meet a guy once that could bend a quarter between his thumb and forefinger- his hands and forearms were huge!!
X

Joe Roark

• Expert
  • Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #41 on: July 26, 2005, 12:47:37 PM »
There is no evidence Thomas Inch was able to one-hand clean and press the Inch 172 pound dumbell. There are claims that he could- claims which omit the three other look-a-like dumbells he owned which he would substitute for the 172. One weighed about 75 pounds. Inch himself never claimed he could do anything beyond deadlifting the bell UNTIL others also began to deadlift it, at that point Inch retroactively redefined what he had done with the 172 to include a one hand clean and overhead.

Inch certainly lacked the strength to press 172 in a standing press (although he was a splendid bent presser- at one time one of only three men in the world able to manage 300).

Only the whereabouts of the 172 pound Challenge Bell is known. The 75, 140, and 152 are in parts unknown.

I have spent hundreds of hours studying Inch's history and tracing every reference I could find among the 800 issues of Health & Strength in my library, and well as my other mags. The early mentions of the story are vastly different from the later versions. Later versions being what may be termed 'Inch friendly'. :)

Lord Humungous

• Getbig V
  • REVOLUTION CALLING!
« Reply #42 on: July 26, 2005, 01:03:34 PM »
There is no evidence Thomas Inch was able to one-hand clean and press the Inch 172 pound dumbell. There are claims that he could- claims which omit the three other look-a-like dumbells he owned which he would substitute for the 172. One weighed about 75 pounds. Inch himself never claimed he could do anything beyond deadlifting the bell UNTIL others also began to deadlift it, at that point Inch retroactively redefined what he had done with the 172 to include a one hand clean and overhead.

Inch certainly lacked the strength to press 172 in a standing press (although he was a splendid bent presser- at one time one of only three men in the world able to manage 300).

Only the whereabouts of the 172 pound Challenge Bell is known. The 75, 140, and 152 are in parts unknown.

I have spent hundreds of hours studying Inch's history and tracing every reference I could find among the 800 issues of Health & Strength in my library, and well as my other mags. The early mentions of the story are vastly different from the later versions. Later versions being what may be termed 'Inch friendly'. :)

Hey Joe good to have you on board for this conversation and thanks for the info on the Thomas Inch DB. So am I right in saying only Kaz and Ross have pressed the dumbell. Any Kaz stories you would like to share??
X

Bossa

• Getbig IV
« Reply #43 on: July 26, 2005, 01:45:51 PM »
I think Mark Henry presed it at arnold couple of years ago....

onlyme

• Getbig V
  • Don't Fuck With Bears
« Reply #44 on: July 26, 2005, 02:22:54 PM »
I would have liked to try the Inch lift back in the late 80's if I knew about it.  Interesting.

Lord Humungous

• Getbig V
  • REVOLUTION CALLING!
« Reply #45 on: July 26, 2005, 03:16:46 PM »
I think Mark Henry presed it at arnold couple of years ago....

Cool, Thanks Bossa
X

Joe Roark

• Expert
  • Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #46 on: July 26, 2005, 04:44:51 PM »
Mark Henry push pressed the dumbell after cleaning it so forcefully he was almost knocked backwards.

Kaz, I am told may have used his knee to aid the upward movement- thus changing it from a clean to a continental.

If Inch's story is true (and I doubt that it is) then Arthur Saxon and his brothers had an Inch replica made after they had failed to even get his off the floor. They worked with their replica, mastered it, went to try Inch's original and still could not lift it. Yeah, right. I often wondered why Arthur did not dispute Inch making this claim, and then the chronology banged into my brain: Inch made no such claim while Arthur was living- he made it a few weeks after Saxon had died.

I asked Kaz in Atlanta some years ago during the Olympia if I could measure his forearm, but he said no they were ' all dilapidated and torn up'.

The most recent time I saw him was again in Atlanta for the GNC where when we were talking he told me of a publisher that was spreading lies about me. When I confronted the publisher, he denied it.

I have found that when people cannot win an argument with a person, they sometimes attack the person.

Lord Humungous

• Getbig V
  • REVOLUTION CALLING!
« Reply #47 on: July 26, 2005, 07:13:16 PM »
Joe, & Onlyme

In Ellington Dardons book High Intesity II, Dardon talks about forearms and hand strenght. Dardon claims that David Willhougby measured Kaz's right forearm at 17.5 (if memory serves me) with a steel tape. Any thoughts on how acurate it might be. Kaz said at that time he weighted about 330lbs
X

Joe Roark

• Expert
  • Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #48 on: July 26, 2005, 07:20:56 PM »
As I recall from the Ironman article covering that measure, it was 17" straight (not goosenecked). Keep the entire arm and hand in a straight line with wrist not goosenecked. Clenching to a fist is okay. In that unfavorable position Kaz measured 17" (from memory- I did not look it up)
When measured in straight line if the forearm is twice the circumference of the wrist, it is world class. Manfred did not have twice when I measured him, but Lee Priest had twice PLUS one inch!
Cold measurement, not pumped.

reichsfuehrer SS

« Reply #49 on: July 26, 2005, 07:26:28 PM »
i measured a friend of mines right forearm at 18 and a quarter goosenecked at 5'11" 325 lbs., monster on pressing movements.