Author Topic: How big is the mark-up on supplements?  (Read 14223 times)

Ex Coelis

• Getbig V
How big is the mark-up on supplements?
« on: September 07, 2010, 06:50:09 PM »
I was looking at the clearance section on SND (yes, Matt C I know you hate them) and they have old protein bars at 10$ per box

the website claims the regular MSRP is 55$ (which I imagine is inflated to make the website's price seem like even more of a deal)

it makes me wonder how much any supplement really costs the manufacturer to produce and how much each company marks it up down the line before it gets to the customer

http://www.sndcanada.com/labrada_lean_body_cookie_bar_-_smores_best_before_10_15_2010,_12_box.html

(yes, I bought 6 boxes  8) )

benchmstr

• Getbig V
  • Raging drunk
Re: How big is the mark-up on supplements?
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2010, 06:51:12 PM »
I was looking at the clearance section on SND (yes, Matt C I know you hate them) and they have old protein bars at 10$ per box

the website claims the regular MSRP is 55$ (which I imagine is inflated to make the website's price seem like even more of a deal)

it makes me wonder how much any supplement really costs the manufacturer to produce and how much each company marks it up down the line before it gets to the customer

http://www.sndcanada.com/labrada_lean_body_cookie_bar_-_smores_best_before_10_15_2010,_12_box.html

(yes, I bought 6 boxes  8) )
$10 is a good price for a whole box...

bench

no one

• Getbig V
  • have i hurt your feelings?
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2010, 06:55:34 PM »

i have a friend who used to own a popeye's supplement store.

protein powder for example is marked up 100%. if a 5 pound jug of allmax isoflex costs you $110, they paid $55.

i imagine all the other chains ( GNC, nutrition house etc )operate in the same manner.

b

Ex Coelis

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2010, 06:57:34 PM »
$10 is a good price for a whole box...

bench

I'll be in and out of the field a lot the next couple months so I decided to stock up

can't just rely on hard rations . . .

Ursus

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2010, 06:59:13 PM »
A guy I know bought generic protein stuck a fancy label on it and sold it.

He was getting the protein for around £11 and selling it for £35. 5lb tub

So I can only imagine how much profit the big companies make.

Matt C

• Getbig V
  • The White Vince Goodrum
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2010, 07:02:39 PM »
Some companies offer fairly substantial discounts on bulk orders so I would say that it depends on the company.

I spent 4.5 years in the army reserves and met all sorts of people, people who YOU would have nothing to do with.

fixed

;D  ;D  ;D
Bodybuilding Pro.com

Ursus

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2010, 07:03:48 PM »
WTF does Canada need an army for?

Ex Coelis

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2010, 07:06:20 PM »

killing Taliban and protecting our arctic sovereignty from the Danes  ;D

benchmstr

• Getbig V
  • Raging drunk
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2010, 07:06:35 PM »
I'll be in and out of the field a lot the next couple months so I decided to stock up

can't just rely on hard rations . . .
good call...i used kong bars because they were high in protein...and didnt have a lot of chocolate so they didnt melt in my dump pouch...

bench

ManBearPig...

• Getbig V
  • Professional Fighter
« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2010, 07:07:01 PM »
one of my side business is in retail.  i only use this to pay for my yacht and my french girlfriend who lives in ontario.   ::)

anyways, the rule of thumb is if it's a small product that sells quickly, the smaller the markup.  think of it as more of a $:real estate it takes up:time to sell ratio.

so the profit would be about the same on 100 1-lb packages of protein as it would on 10-10 lb bags.  even though you might sell 100 1-lb packages faster, the cost of labor would be ten times more than selling 10-10lb bags (assuming customer pays for other shipping costs).

Unless you're Ross Erstling, who just takes a dick in the ass and calls it a day.
Deep Tissue Massage

Ex Coelis

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2010, 07:08:38 PM »
Some companies offer fairly substantial discounts on bulk orders so I would say that it depends on the company.

;D  ;D  ;D

haha you're alright, Matt

we probably would have been friends if we'd gone to the same school

War-Horse

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2010, 07:09:29 PM »
I wonder this too.   I like myogenix evolution as its lo carb but has healthy fats.  Anyway its usually 40.00 at my gyms store.  A few days ago i was able to buy it for 9.00......apparantly the flavor they ordered was nt selling (Banana cream pie) Usually the choclate peanut butter is the seller.

I grabbed 3 jugs but had to wonder.....WTH???

Mobil

• Getbig IV
« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2010, 07:12:13 PM »
the real question is are they truley protien or just sugar bars, with false labels... the supplement industry are pretty honest on their facts...
real men= no rubbers

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
« Reply #13 on: September 07, 2010, 10:03:25 PM »
To sell retail in a store is around 100%, the manufacturer mark up is about 500%. It doesn't cost hardly anything to make a supplement and they make a killing.

Red Hook

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: September 07, 2010, 10:11:10 PM »
the real question is are they truley protien or just sugar bars, with false labels... the supplement industry are pretty honest on their facts...

yep..I am guessing that they use the cheapest grade product that can technically and legally be considered "protein"..and of course "pixie dusting" aka proprietary blend which amounts to sugar with a table spoon of "protein".

buy a snicker bar instead...the only supplement that I would buy if I were to buy supplements any more would be a 5lb tub of ON Whey Protein.
I

Stefano

• Getbig III
« Reply #15 on: September 08, 2010, 12:00:35 AM »
To sell retail in a store is around 100%, the manufacturer mark up is about 500%. It doesn't cost hardly anything to make a supplement and they make a killing.

How much (roughly) would it cost to manufacture?

Are all brands made in the same factory but with different labels?

The Wizard of Truth

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Fallen Angel
« Reply #16 on: September 08, 2010, 02:38:06 AM »
Many brands are made in same factory
Lots of Spanish, Greek and Italian brands are made here where my brand is made in Shannon, Ireland
Mark-up for brands like Gaspari, ON etc is maybe 50-80% what with currency exchange rate at the moment being a cuunt

owner76

• Getbig II
  • Long Time Lurker
« Reply #17 on: September 08, 2010, 02:38:25 AM »
Just get some Ovaltine & Dbol, great combo.
BODYBUILDING IS GAY

Evo

• Getbig IV
  • you racku disapwin!
« Reply #18 on: September 08, 2010, 03:39:41 AM »
The mark up would surprise a lot of you.

If the company is run by a muggy cunnt, who is using the cheapest ingredients and misleading label claims the mark up is pretty lucrative.

The good old days of people selling Chemical Warfare/CNP and Met-Rx and being happy with a £5 profit on each tub are gone.....now supplements are a mine field for 90% of the retards who buy them, they are under dosed, over priced and generally full of BS.

WillGrant

• Getbig V
  • Ron is Watching
« Reply #19 on: September 08, 2010, 03:50:42 AM »
good call...i used kong bars because they were high in protein...and didnt have a lot of chocolate so they didnt melt in my dump pouch...

bench
You dump in a pouch ? ???

Purple Aki

• Getbig IV
  • penisory contact with her volvo.
« Reply #20 on: September 08, 2010, 03:56:54 AM »

For sticking broomsticks up Somali teenager's arses.

WillGrant

• Getbig V
  • Ron is Watching
« Reply #21 on: September 08, 2010, 04:00:01 AM »
For sticking broomsticks up Somali teenager's arses.
Pics ?

XXXII/LX

• Competitors II
  • Getbig III
  • I have to return some video tapes.
« Reply #22 on: September 08, 2010, 05:04:49 AM »
MuscleTech usually marks their stuff up around 1267.998283%.

Evo

• Getbig IV
  • you racku disapwin!
« Reply #23 on: September 08, 2010, 07:16:31 AM »
How much (roughly) would it cost to manufacture?

Are all brands made in the same factory but with different labels?

Well whey powder comes from dairies so essentially most protein powders begin life in similar places.  Glanvia are the worlds biggest producer and churns out top quality stuff, I cant remember their prices, I have a list on email somewhere.

There are sites online for two bit set ups that are basically a customizer (like on trueprotein) on an industrial scale with options for labels and tubs etc.  Anything coming from these is going to be mediocre at best.  Most of the new lines with a 'face' behind them are from such places.

Then you have companies with their own manufacturing facilities, this can be both good and bad.  It will allow them to use even cheaper shitty ingredients and under dose even more, or (and most unlikely) raise the bar on production.

Ex Coelis

• Getbig V
« Reply #24 on: September 08, 2010, 09:16:12 AM »
Well whey powder comes from dairies so essentially most protein powders begin life in similar places.  Glanvia are the worlds biggest producer and churns out top quality stuff, I cant remember their prices, I have a list on email somewhere.

There are sites online for two bit set ups that are basically a customizer (like on trueprotein) on an industrial scale with options for labels and tubs etc.  Anything coming from these is going to be mediocre at best.  Most of the new lines with a 'face' behind them are from such places.

Then you have companies with their own manufacturing facilities, this can be both good and bad.  It will allow them to use even cheaper shitty ingredients and under dose even more, or (and most unlikely) raise the bar on production.

interesting information