Author Topic: Is the left wing getting ready to dump Obama if Mid-Terms are a disaster?  (Read 684 times)

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Doesnt lie about lifting.
Hillary's Homerun Of A Speech ("Why She's Better Than Her Boss")
The Daily Beast ^ | Tunku Varadarajan

Posted on Wednesday, September 08, 2010 2:18:31 PM by blam

________________________ ________________________ _______________

Hillary's Homerun Of A Speech

September 9, 2010
by Tunku Varadarajan

Hillary Clinton speaks at the Council on Foreign Relations September 8, 2010 in Washington, DC.

The secretary of State delivered the best speech of the Obama administration this morning. Tunku Varadarajan on her “new American moment”—and why she’s better than her boss.

Behold the Hillary Doctrine. And heap abundant gratitude—and rose petals if you have them on hand—on the firm, unfussy, deeply reassuring woman who has just offered it up to the world.

In the 20 months since this administration began administering (a verb I use only in the loosest sense), the speech Wednesday morning by Hillary Clinton, delivered at the Council on Foreign Relations, was the first time we have been given an unreserved lift of the heart by any of its members. It was, by far, the best speech of this administration. Whereas her president has frequently wrung his elegant hands, doing the rounds of the world to reassure foreign leaders that America is a cuddly bunny at heart, the secretary of State declared Wednesday that we are all living “a new American moment—a moment when our global leadership is essential.” There was no bowing from her to potentates in robes; there was, instead, a promise that “we will do everything we can to exercise the traditions of American leadership at home and abroad.”

What is so piquant here is not the fact that Hillary understands that Obama is president. It is the growing sense that Hillary would have made a much, much better president than Obama.

Try this for size: “The United States can, must and will lead in the new century.” In order to do that, Clinton promised “a new global architecture,” “built to last and withstand stress.” And in a muscular departure from the way in which this administration—for fear of seeming Bush-like—has been shrinking from the unembarrassed propagation of American values, she uttered these plainspoken, unadorned words: “Democracy needs defending.”

Human rights, too, came in for a robust airing: China was scolded, and exhorted to follow “the rules of the road” in its aspiration to be a great power; as was Russia, for its invasion of Georgia. The message: We may live in a multipolar world, but we have higher standards by far than those who would style themselves as our equals.

Clinton used phrases like “American might,” words that we are more accustomed to hearing from Republicans—words that we’ve come to believe that many Democrats can’t bear to voice. How refreshing, therefore, that she should reach into a vocabulary of pride that most American citizens would applaud.

Hillary Clinton invoked the name of Dean Acheson in her reference to the need for “good, old-fashioned diplomacy,” and there certainly was an air of the Achesonian, of the statesman, about her speech. Good, old-fashioned diplomacy, it should be noted, is in contrast to Obama’s apparent preference for seeing America as a nation like any other, only a bit bigger, richer, and better-armed. Clinton’s “old-fashioned” diplomacy is based, by contrast, on the unquestionable premise that America is the world’s leader. Not primus inter pares; just primus.

In her speech, Clinton referred to the sources of “American might.” The first, of course, is “economic power.” But it is her hailing of the second—America’s “moral authority”—that was so invigorating.

It was Acheson who said: “The most important aspect of the relationship between the president and the secretary of state is that they both understand who is president.” What is so piquant here, in this administration, is not the fact, plain to behold, that Hillary understands that Obama is president. It is the growing sense that Hillary would have made a much, much better president than Obama.

Tunku Varadarajan is a national affairs correspondent and writer at large for The Daily Beast. He is also the Virginia Hobbs Carpenter Fellow in Journalism at Stanford's Hoover Institution and a professor at NYU's Stern Business School. He is a former assistant managing editor at The Wall Street Journal.

Skip8282

• Getbig V
Re: Is the left wing getting ready to dump Obama if Mid-Terms are a disaster?
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2010, 03:54:51 PM »
Nope.  Obama = Walks on water, can do no wrong, Messiah, blah, blah.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2010, 03:59:33 PM »
Nope.  Obama = Walks on water, can do no wrong, Messiah, blah, blah.

I don't know - I am hearing talk about Hillary a lot lately, especially if the GOP pulls off a 1994 like tsunami. 

Obama is no Clinton and does not have the abilities like Bubba did.   

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2010, 04:02:00 PM »
Repubs better hope obama doesn't decide not to run.

hilary/buyh would DESTROY any gop offering, sadly.

Skip8282

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2010, 04:17:55 PM »
I don't know - I am hearing talk about Hillary a lot lately, especially if the GOP pulls off a 1994 like tsunami. 

Well, we'll see if she quits and forms an "exploratory" committee.  :D

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2010, 04:23:32 PM »

Well, we'll see if she quits and forms an "exploratory" committee.  :D

hahaha at this point in the game, I betcha she's ALREADY got her exploratory committee working at it.  If they want to keep it quiet until after midterms, they'll keep it quiet.

Honestly, obama retiring would be the WORD thing the repubs could wish for.  it's like if Bush had retired in 2006, handed the keys to cheney and VP to rudy- then Cheney retires 5 minutes later.

President Rudy would have DESTROYED Obama in 2008, let's be honest.  no contest.  he would have beaten hilary too, probably.

The 2012 GOP nominee better hope he/she is running against obama.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2010, 06:08:05 PM »
Hillary couldn't win the Democrat primary, but she will destroy any Republican nominee?  Rudy couldn't beat John McCain for the Republican nomination, but he would have destroyed Obama?  Some interesting logic there. 

I don't believe any candidate will win the 2012 election easily. 

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2010, 06:23:24 PM »
Hillary couldn't win the Democrat primary

yeahhh if they held that shit today, hilary would blow out obama.  people have learned from obama-mania.

and if they held the repub nominatino today, romney would wipe the floor with mccain.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2010, 06:43:27 PM »
yeahhh if they held that shit today, hilary would blow out obama.  people have learned from obama-mania.

and if they held the repub nominatino today, romney would wipe the floor with mccain.

And if they held the election today McCain would beat Obama.  But dealing with present day, and looking at things realistically, Hillary does not have the support from independents and Republicans that would allow her to "destroy" any Republican.  Same with Rudy and independents and Democrats.   

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2010, 07:03:02 PM »
And if they held the election today McCain would beat Obama.  But dealing with present day, and looking at things realistically, Hillary does not have the support from independents and Republicans that would allow her to "destroy" any Republican.  Same with Rudy and independents and Democrats.   

anyone know of any hilary vs. romney (etc etc) polls done for fun, for 2012?

MM2K

• Getbig IV
« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2010, 10:54:29 PM »

Niether does Hillary. I dont agree that Hillary would destroy any GOP challenger. She would lose. Keep in mind that Hillary had her own little meltdown in the 08 Primary. That's why I dont understand why so many people (including conversvatives) gave the Obama Campane so much credit for that. The truth is that a candidate is a representation of the Party, and when the party in power runs another candidate against the incumbent in the Whitehouse, what does that say about the party's judgement that picked that candidate that is in the WhiteHouse?
Jan. Jobs: 36,000!!

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2010, 11:14:34 PM »
Nope.  Obama = Walks on water, can do no wrong, Messiah, blah, blah.
yea, that's not true and I don't think it's true of the left as a whole either.  Even with 333's title, I can say that's not true.  If they've dumped Obama, it has already happened like with me.  They're not going to dump him because the mid terms went bad, they will have dumped him before that for a reason.  Now there are always the idiots that treat politics like sports and there is no accounting for those fools.  They're on both sides but a little more so on the right.

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2010, 11:19:06 PM »
240, you've been misspelling Hillary's name for like 3 years straight...  I figure by now it must be intentional, I just don't get why? lol?  Did I miss the joke?

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2010, 05:03:47 AM »
240, you've been misspelling Hillary's name for like 3 years straight...  I figure by now it must be intentional, I just don't get why? lol?  Did I miss the joke?

Does your wife know about these women?   ;D  ;D

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2010, 05:50:37 AM »
Now, it's all about what's being called "political triage". The Dems are basically going to abandon the folks in their party that they KNOW (or at least, think) are going to get clobbered and try to save those they think they can salvage.

The problem is that virtually NOBODY is safe, except for Pelosi.