Author Topic: Remeber your first competition  (Read 2988 times)

Magnus

• Getbig III
  • my english sucks (not from US)
Remeber your first competition
« on: September 17, 2010, 08:08:55 AM »

How was your first experiece?

Was it a powerlifting meet, a strongman event, an highland game or...?

I still have to try the first one (maybe in some years from now).

Obvious Gimmick

• Getbig V
  • I'd hit it
Re: Remeber your first competition
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2010, 06:34:03 PM »
well, ive been in three competitions now, so clearly im qualified to speak on this  :)

first one was great. rather small powerlifting meet; maybe 25 lifters combined. really cant say anything bad about it. everybody cheered for each other, was great about helping each other, etc.

the one thing that surprised me was the length of it. i was expecting to get there at 9am, out by noon, drunk by 2:30. but it was an all day affair.

my wife went with me and said, "these guys are strong? they look fat."  cant wait for the next one

JNo20

« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2010, 11:14:31 AM »
My first meet was a great experience.  I did it about 9 months after making a switch to powerlifting-oriented training, and didn't really know the in's and out's of powerlifting, much less competitive powerlifting.  I competed raw, wearing only a belt, not even knee or wrist wraps.  Went 380/290/500 at 198 and was hooked.  Managed to link up with some hardcore powerlifters in my area that I met at that meet, and have been training with them for the past 3.5 years.  Have done several meets since then and been a handler for MANY meets, but I think that first one was the most exciting just because it was so new and there were so many unknowns.

Hedgehog

• Getbig V
  • It Rubs The Lotion On Its Skin.
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2010, 11:25:05 PM »
My first meet was great.

About ten years ago and I competed as a 198'er - not much change there over these years...

Shows I never COMMITTED to the weight gaining. 8)

I think I squatted 460 and benchpressed 235 or 242 lbs.

And pulled 419 lbs. I definitely remember that. Because the following meet I pulled 463, and immediatly started to do math on how much I would be pulling within a year LOL...

I don't recall if I had equipment. I know that I did 254 lbs in an EHPHD Inzer shirt, which at the time was the BADDEST shirt around in IPF. ;D

As empty as paradise

ripitupbaby

• Pros
  • Getbig V
  • 2010 Olympia Pro Powerlifting Champ
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2010, 08:15:35 AM »
Mine was a bench competition.  Totally random, I didn't train or prepare for it, I just benched and decided to do it.  It was early 2005(?) I think.

I didn't know anything about how important body weight could be, so I ate a big breakfast, drank a huge cup of coffee, and then went to weigh ins.  I weighed in my clothes, just took my shoes off.  I benched RAW and ended up in second place, losing by 0.25 pounds to a woman who benched with a shirt on.   Would have won the meet if I had not eaten before weigh ins.  LOL.  I had a great time and was hooked after that.

:)

burn2live

• Getbig IV
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2010, 06:00:34 PM »
I was 18 I think. Weighed in at 100.2kg. Didn't bother trying to make 100kg cos my friend was competing at that weight class. I had been training about 7 months. Squatted 180kg, missed 200kg. Benched 125kg. Deadlifted 250kg. All raw and all pbs for me at the I think  :)

Unfortunately I can't say I enjoyed it too much. It was in the IPF's Northern Ireland affiliate. The judges and officials are all control freaks always looking for any reason to fail your lifts. For this reason it was my first and last competition in that organisation. Comp was well organized though

Magnus

• Getbig III
  • my english sucks (not from US)
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2010, 07:36:36 AM »
I was 18 I think. Weighed in at 100.2kg. Didn't bother trying to make 100kg cos my friend was competing at that weight class. I had been training about 7 months. Squatted 180kg, missed 200kg. Benched 125kg. Deadlifted 250kg. All raw and all pbs for me at the I think  :)

talk about genetics................ .......I trained for years to get the lifts of a 12 y.o. girls

benchmstr

• Getbig V
  • Raging drunk
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2010, 10:29:35 AM »
mine was a bench comp at a local gym when i was 12....me and my dad say the sign from the road and stopped and watched......it was free to enter, and you got a tshirt (gym grand opening)........i kicked ass!!!!....even though i was the only one in my class ;D

bench

burn2live

• Getbig IV
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2010, 01:10:52 PM »
talk about genetics................ .......I trained for years to get the lifts of a 12 y.o. girls

lol. Thanks dude. Just wish I hada been a bit more sensible with injuries when I was younger! But I guess that happens to everyone.