Author Topic: Barack Obama heckled in Manhattan by Gay Activists  (Read 1700 times)

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Doesnt lie about lifting.
Barack Obama heckled in Manhattan by Gay Activists
« on: September 22, 2010, 06:47:30 PM »

Barack Obama heckled in Manhattan
Politico ^

Barack Obama heckled in Manhattan By: Carol E. Lee September 22, 2010 08:09 PM EDT

NEW YORK – President Barack Obama was heckled multiple times during his speech at a Democratic fundraiser in one of the country’s most Democratic cities.

Demonstrators held signs that said “Broken Promises” and interrupted his speech to protest AIDS funding and the stalled repeal of “don’t ask, don’t tell,” the policy banning gays from serving openly in the military that Obama has promised to lift.

Obama showed a flash of irritation after he was forced repeatedly off his prepared remarks. “We listened to you, we heard your point,” he told the “young lady” who continued shouting at him about AIDS funding. “This is not the time or the place to do what you’re talking about.”

Obama also tried to make the most of the moment by pointing out that Republicans would be further away from the protestors on both of the issues they were complaining about.

His administration has increased AIDS funding, he said, but “the people that potentially will take over will cut AIDS funding if we don’t focus on this election.”

The “don’t ask, don’t tell” protest came moments later, as Obama began talking about how incomes for the middle class fell by 5 percent – a statement he had to repeat twice.

The president pointed out that this week Senate Republicans blocked Democrats’

(Excerpt) Read more at politico.com ...

________________________ ___________________

I was in manhattan today and wish I could heckle him.  Instead, I was in court on a foreclosure case.  The opposing attorney was pretty hot and young and we were getting a little flirt going on.  

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
Re: Barack Obama heckled in Manhattan by Gay Activists
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2010, 09:17:30 PM »

Barack Obama heckled in Manhattan
Politico ^

Barack Obama heckled in Manhattan By: Carol E. Lee September 22, 2010 08:09 PM EDT

NEW YORK – President Barack Obama was heckled multiple times during his speech at a Democratic fundraiser in one of the country’s most Democratic cities.

Demonstrators held signs that said “Broken Promises” and interrupted his speech to protest AIDS funding and the stalled repeal of “don’t ask, don’t tell,” the policy banning gays from serving openly in the military that Obama has promised to lift.

Obama showed a flash of irritation after he was forced repeatedly off his prepared remarks. “We listened to you, we heard your point,” he told the “young lady” who continued shouting at him about AIDS funding. “This is not the time or the place to do what you’re talking about.”

Obama also tried to make the most of the moment by pointing out that Republicans would be further away from the protestors on both of the issues they were complaining about.

His administration has increased AIDS funding, he said, but “the people that potentially will take over will cut AIDS funding if we don’t focus on this election.”

The “don’t ask, don’t tell” protest came moments later, as Obama began talking about how incomes for the middle class fell by 5 percent – a statement he had to repeat twice.

The president pointed out that this week Senate Republicans blocked Democrats’

(Excerpt) Read more at politico.com ...

________________________ ___________________

I was in manhattan today and wish I could heckle him.  Instead, I was in court on a foreclosure case.  The opposing attorney was pretty hot and young and we were getting a little flirt going on.  

Tell the truth.  She looked like Janet Reno.   :D

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2010, 06:21:19 AM »
Nah - she was a a little hottie with a NY accent. 

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2010, 07:12:54 AM »
Ha ha ha- they cant even give tickets away! 

________________________ ________________________ ______

www.thedailybeast.com

Six weeks before the election, President Obama couldn’t fill the ballroom at the Roosevelt Hotel, despite cheap tickets on offer. And then he was met by hecklers.

Who would have thought that six weeks before a cliffhanger election, President Obama would have to reach down to the D list to fill a room to listen to him? Most of us low rollers arrived early to see President Obama up close and personal. Our tickets for the general reception at the Roosevelt Hotel in New York were only $100. Some thought the email invitation was a joke. Some bought tickets for $50 from their desperate Democratic committeeman. Some bought the same day.

President Barack Obama speaks at a fundraiser in New York City September 22, 2010. (Photo: Susan Walsh / AP Photo)
“It’s Filene’s,” enthused Sharon Douglas, reliving her heady days as a volunteer in Obama’s 2008 campaign. The doorman beckoned conspiratorially and ushered us out one door and in through another to stand at the back of the $500 line. Their crowd came from Wall Street in car services and killer heels. Our crowd came on subways in flats and scuffed teacher’s shoes.

Only after I received four email invitations and two personal calls imploring me to come did I call Speaker Pelosi’s office to check the admission price. “You mean, to be in the room with the President of the United States is now on fire sale for $100?”

Only after I received four email invitations and two personal calls imploring me to come did I call Speaker Pelosi’s office to check the admission price. “You mean, to be in the room with the President of the United States is now on fire sale for $100?”

”Yup.”

“How long do we get?”

“Half hour.”

“How many $100 givers have rsvp’d?”

“Mmmm 250.”

“Do we need to line up early to get in?”

“That’s not necessary. Everybody  will get in.”

And everybody did—450 people in a room that holds 650.  Even Obama’s fire sale didn’t sell out.   

• Samuel P. Jacobs: Obama’s Jimmy Carter Problem

• Tunku Varadarajan: The GOP’s Purity Pledge

• America’s 30 Unhealthiest French Fries

• Will the Tea Party Win in November?

• The Juicy Bits from Woodward’s Obama’s WarsBut the foot soldiers were a cheerful bunch.  We expected no stroking. We stood for two and a half hours munching on deli food and enjoying the open bar. I sat on the floor next to the six-year-old black daughter of a Swedish law professor who drove down from Albany. We read “Wizard of Oz” together, hoping for magic. Astrid Grahn-Farley wrote in her school notebook, “me and mommy wait long line for presdint obama.”

“We love you!” shouted one audience member when the President finally appeared and flashed his spotlight smile our way.

“I love you back!” he called. “That's why I'm here.”

This was a busy, challenging week for the President, with appearances at the Clinton Global Initiative and today at the U.N. General Assembly. “It's also nice just to stop by and see some friends,” he was saying, when two screeching hecklers next to us thrust sheets in the air painted with "KILL. No retreat. FUND AIDS.”  One was a surly blond who had given her extra ticket to an unemployed gay man.

Supporters turned on the pair, shouting “Obama-Obama-Obama,” and the president intervened in his mediator mode:  "We heard your point. This young lady here, she wants increases in AIDS funding. That's great. We increased AIDS funding. She'd like more. I'm sure we could do more—if we're able to grow this economy again…”

When the hecklers grew more raucous, the President tried to ignore them. “In the last decade, we experienced the slowest job growth of any decade since World War II – “

“Don't ask, don't tell!” hollered the female heckler.

“The incomes of middle-class families –“

“Don't ask, don't tell!”

“…fell by almost 5 percent—“

“Don't ask, don't tell!”

“…fell by almost 5 percent –“

Our crowd tried to push the hecklers back.

“No, no, it's all right,” said the President, curbing the fury in the room. “We don't have to—it's okay.  You don't need to yell,” he reasoned with them. “Listen, my most urgent task as President was to prevent a second Depression.” (Applause.) “We've been through war and Depression and struggles for equal rights and civil rights. In each instance, we have made progress. Progress took time. Progress took sacrifice…”

There it was, the forgotten word: Sacrifice. That was the mantra of the Greatest Generation, buried under tens of thousands of American GIs whose families sacrificed their greatest treasure to fight for our ideals. The Bush mantra was Shop.

“Now, 19 months later…people are frustrated with the pace of change—and so am I,” the President confessed. “But I'm also here to tell you this: We cannot lose heart. We cannot give up.” (Applause.).

“These folks [Republicans] spent a decade driving our economy into a ditch. And so me and Nancy [Pelosi] and Bob [Menendez] and Chris [Van Holland], we all put on our boots and we went down into the ditch. It was muddy. It was hot. We're sweating. There are bugs. We're down there and we're pushing on this car. We're slippin’ and slidin,’ but we know we've got to get it up there.”

The crowd identified. We've been slippin' and slidin', too

“And the Republicans are standing on level ground and they're watching us. They're sipping on a Slurpee”  (laughter) “and they're saying, “You know, you're not pushing hard enough” …And every once in a while, we'd look up to them and say, “Do you guys want to help?” They said, “No, no—no, we can't.”

Laughter built.

“And so finally, finally we get that car out of the ditch. Now, it's a little banged up… It needs a tune-up." (Laughter.) "It's not moving as fast as we wanted, but it's on level ground and we're ready to move forward. And suddenly we get a tap on the shoulder and we look back, and it's the Republicans.”(Laughter.) “They said, “Excuse me, we want the keys back.”

Delicious anticipation. “You can't have the keys back. You don't know how to drive!” (Wild applause.)

Later that night, another crowd had shelled out $15,000 to sit for dinner with the President.  Think that’s a lot?  It’s a 50 percent markdown from a recent invitation to dinner with the President at the home of Linda Douglass and John Phillips, costing $30,000.

This may be fallout from the way the Obama White House has treated their most generous donors since ’08, which is like rich uncles from the wrong side of the family.  Some big givers say they get zip in return. No special events. Forget about a seat in the Presidential box at the Kennedy Center (which used to include champagne and canapés.).

The Clintons are still gracious to their supporters from 1992. Bill often takes whole delegations on his overseas speaking trips, including some former supporters. When the Hillary and Obama presidential campaigns merged in July 2008, members of Obama’s National Finance Committee were anxious to know how the Clintons held most of their loyal contributors from ’92 to 2008. The Clinton people divulged the secret of long-term loyalty—feed their brains as well as their egos, continually. It now appears the Clintons’ formula has been steadily ignored by the Obama team.

When bundlers suggest to the DNC that there ought to be some benefit for being a golden gifter—even a free White House briefing and a bagel for God sake—the DNC goes mute. If the Clintons gave them the Lincoln bedroom, Obama’s high rollers get shown to the White House gate.  If the Clinton givers got flights on Air Force One or Two, the only air gifts the Obama supporters get are air-mailed invitations with a scanning code. What big givers can expect, for sure, is the next call for another $30,000 ticket. No wonder many are played out.

Still, the Obama fundraisers must be doing something right, because the DNC has consistently outraised the RNC, taking in $10.9 million in August, according to the Washington Post.

And so the question is, how many Obama fire sales does it take to raise another record-shattering $770 million for 2012?

Gail Sheehy is author of 15 best-selling books, including the revolutionary Passages. Her new book, Passages in Caregiving: Turning Chaos Into Confidence, will be published May 4th by HarperCollins.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2010, 07:16:07 AM »
Here is the video.  And people talk about the Tea Party people?   ::)  ::)

________________________ _

http://blog.eyeblast.tv/2010/09/obama-heckled-booed-at-ny-fundraiser/

BM OUT

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2010, 09:08:07 AM »
Who would go to see this goof speak/Its the same shit every sigle time "uuuuummmmmm I saved hmmmmmmm the economy ahhhhhhhhh from the brink.The republicans unmmmmmmm drove the economy ummmmm into the ditch hmmmmmmmmm now they want they keys back ummmmmmmmm you cant have the keys back ummmmm you cant drive".

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2010, 11:20:04 AM »
Here is the video.  And people talk about the Tea Party people?   ::)  ::)

________________________ _

http://blog.eyeblast.tv/2010/09/obama-heckled-booed-at-ny-fundraiser/

Typical.  Trying to shout him down.  It's the liberal way.   

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2010, 06:08:56 PM »
BUMP - damn they are following him everywhere he goes and obama loses it. 

Ha ha.  What a fool.