Author Topic: Boy who found lighter suspended from NJ school - (WWWTTFFF???)  (Read 3791 times)

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Doesnt lie about lifting.
Boy who found lighter suspended from NJ school - (WWWTTFFF???)
« on: September 23, 2010, 10:24:12 AM »
Sep 23, 9:34 AM EDT
Boy who found lighter suspended from NJ school
Buy AP Photo Reprints
States face gap in retirement funds

________________________ ________________________ ___

JAMESBURG, N.J. (AP) -- Officials suspended a fifth-grader in New Jersey who found a lighter on his way to school.

Jamesburg school superintendent Gail Verona told The Home News Tribune of East Brunswick the lighter had the potential to compromise student safety.

But the 11-year-old boy's father questioned why school officials consider the lighter a weapon.

Patrick Halpin called police Wednesday to say there were weapons on school property because teachers at the Grace Breckwedel Middle School had lighters in the building.

Halpin says he was a "little irate" because his son, who is a Boy Scout, never flicked the lighter.

The superintendent says a weapon is anything that "has the potential to cause harm."

Jamesburg Police Chief Martin Horvath says he believes the school took appropriate action.

---

Information from: Home News Tribune, http://www.mycentraljersey.com

________________________ ______________________

When people ask why I utterly hate the government and most police and law enforcement - this story is it.

You have a dipshit in the public school system who is probably afraid of his own shadow,  and then said stupidity is doubled by the cops. 

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
Re: Boy who found lighter suspended from NJ school - (WWWTTFFF???)
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2010, 10:26:37 AM »
The superintendent says a weapon is anything that "has the potential to cause harm."

________________________ _______________

I wonder if this idiot in the school system ever saw Godfather 3. 

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2010, 10:34:18 AM »

Agnostic007

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2010, 10:35:58 AM »
The police Chief probably had all the facts the paper may not have had.. For example, gotta ask how the school came to know the kid had the lighter.... was he turning it in like a good boy scout or doing show and tell in the hallway? We have the fathers side that the kid never flicked the lighter but again, what drew the faculties attention to the lighter. People ask me why I utterly hate citizens -this post is it.. Jumping to conclusions without all the facts..

As a side note, the Chief would have been well advised to state it is a matter for the school and the parents, not a police matter at this time.  

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2010, 10:39:39 AM »
In my mind - you don't suspend kids for this.  WTF. 

we blew up pipe bombs, cherry bombs, shot each other with penny rockets and roman candles, went to bars at 15 y/o, and no one ever got killed, etc etc. 

We are pussyifing this society and it absolutely sucks. 

Agnostic007

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2010, 10:45:18 AM »
In my mind - you don't suspend kids for this.  WTF. 

we blew up pipe bombs, cherry bombs, shot each other with penny rockets and roman candles, went to bars at 15 y/o, and no one ever got killed, etc etc. 

We are pussyifing this society and it absolutely sucks. 

I agree that it's gotten out of hand. Most school officials are between a rock and a hard place. Where some schools were slow to act on transgressions that backfired on them and cost a lot in lawsuits, now they are overly cautious, which may result in high costs of lawsuits. It would be nice if we could rely on common sense and good judgement at that level, but sadly, you can't count on everyone having common sense and good judgement so they make black and white rules. Sometimes those rules create ridiculous responses.   

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2010, 10:49:05 AM »
I agree that it's gotten out of hand. Most school officials are between a rock and a hard place. Where some schools were slow to act on transgressions that backfired on them and cost a lot in lawsuits, now they are overly cautious, which may result in high costs of lawsuits. It would be nice if we could rely on common sense and good judgement at that level, but sadly, you can't count on everyone having common sense and good judgement so they make black and white rules. Sometimes those rules create ridiculous responses.   

We blew up mailboxes, had paintball wars in the streets, lit fires, climbed on the roofs of schools, took shits on the doorsteps of people we hated, blasted heavy metal from the car, etc.  and no one ever got hurt etc. 

We are really screwed with this mentality going on now. 

My boys, if I ever have them, will never have bras and panties.  They will do MMA, shoot guns, etc.   

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2010, 10:52:40 AM »
as a former middle school teacher - fck yes you suspend kids for lighters.  thats the rule.   Kids play with fire, and in a place with 1200 kids adn 50 adults, there will be deaths should a fire start in the wrong place.  Or they're smoking.

whatever the reason, suspend the kid.

OR - you're okay with 1 kid carrying a lighter, then you're okay with 1200 kids carrying 10 lighters in their pockets.  33, do ya wanna send your kid to a school where safety is determind not by rules, but by the ability of 1200 kids in puberty to not play with a fascinating toy like pocket fire?

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2010, 10:57:55 AM »
as a former middle school teacher - fck yes you suspend kids for lighters.  thats the rule.   Kids play with fire, and in a place with 1200 kids adn 50 adults, there will be deaths should a fire start in the wrong place.  Or they're smoking.

whatever the reason, suspend the kid.

OR - you're okay with 1 kid carrying a lighter, then you're okay with 1200 kids carrying 10 lighters in their pockets.  33, do ya wanna send your kid to a school where safety is determind not by rules, but by the ability of 1200 kids in puberty to not play with a fascinating toy like pocket fire?

You call the kid in, call the parent, give a damn warning and make an announcement.  what good is this kid going to do from home now? 

Had I been caught for a fraction of the crap I did I probably would be in jail.   

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2010, 10:59:47 AM »
or, WTF "GOOD" can a kid do with a lighter?  ZERO.

he can start fires.  For smoking (illegal) or for amusement.

Kids have very shitty decision-making abilities.  lighters are one of those things that are a HUGE problem for admin in schools.  you can't "track" who started a fire.  Especially when ya let every kid carry one ;)

and 'found a lighter' is just as bad as anything else.  if he 'found a gun' on the way to school, and carried it to school, would it be worse than bringing it from home?

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2010, 11:01:06 AM »
or, WTF "GOOD" can a kid do with a lighter?  ZERO.

he can start fires.  For smoking (illegal) or for amusement.

Kids have very shitty decision-making abilities.  lighters are one of those things that are a HUGE problem for admin in schools.  you can't "track" who started a fire.  Especially when ya let every kid carry one ;)

and 'found a lighter' is just as bad as anything else.  if he 'found a gun' on the way to school, and carried it to school, would it be worse than bringing it from home?

Please post the links of the last school a kid burned down. 

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2010, 11:02:44 AM »
You call the kid in, call the parent, give a damn warning and make an announcement.  what good is this kid going to do from home now?  

cuz the NEXT kid that carries a lighter will SUE THE SCHOOL for his suspension.  Cause you let the other kid off...

Remember, many people are a bunch of sue-happy bitches like Christine Odonnell.

You enforce the rule across the board.  I'm a former teacher - fire is an untraceable WMD in schools - not cool one bit for such condensed population and kids who can't comprehend the consequences of their actions.

This isn't "all about the good old days when I was a kid..."
It's about how horseplay with a lighter can kill kids.  It's that simple.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2010, 11:03:56 AM »

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2010, 11:04:25 AM »
240 - did you share your 9/11 CT's with the kids?   ;D  ;D  ;D

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: September 23, 2010, 11:06:41 AM »
33, yes or no-

are you okay with there being 12,000 lighters in hands of 1200 kids of limited decision making ability, in any small-ass building you're loked in?  LOL...

i know, you're a superhero who would shoot out the window with your AR-15 and parachute to the ground and have sex with the palin-lookalike vice-principal.

The truth - from a teacher - is that fire is one of the scariest things in teaching.  You suspend EVERY TIME for lighters.  every time.  ther'es no "undo" for fires, and you can't track them.  You suspend.  It's that simple.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: September 23, 2010, 11:07:36 AM »
240 - did you share your 9/11 CT's with the kids?   ;D  ;D  ;D

you NEVER talk politics or religion with kids, unless you want a lawsuit lol...

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: September 23, 2010, 11:08:33 AM »

you NEVER talk politics or religion with kids, unless you want a lawsuit lol...

Ha ha - you did not answer the question. 

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: September 23, 2010, 11:11:11 AM »
Ha ha - you did not answer the question. 

oh goodness no.  i never talked 911.  never talked iraq war.  never hugged students.  never had 1 kid alone in any room.  never let them in early or stay late.  always called admin in, when needed.  Never put hands on a student (except in a major fight now and then splitting it).

Some teachers yank arms, talk religion/politics, etc.... a recipe for some liberal ass parent or ignorant ass redneck to get all uppity and sue/complain, etc. 

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
« Reply #18 on: September 23, 2010, 11:14:00 AM »
Ridiculous.  The lack of common sense by some school administrators is just downright scary. 

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #19 on: September 23, 2010, 11:14:12 AM »
oh goodness no.  i never talked 911.  never talked iraq war.  never hugged students.  never had 1 kid alone in any room.  never let them in early or stay late.  always called admin in, when needed.  Never put hands on a student (except in a major fight now and then splitting it).

Some teachers yank arms, talk religion/politics, etc.... a recipe for some liberal ass parent or ignorant ass redneck to get all uppity and sue/complain, etc. 

I could never be a teacher.  

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #20 on: September 23, 2010, 11:17:07 AM »
Ridiculous.  The lack of common sense by some school administrators is just downright scary. 

if you allow ONE kid to carry a lighter, you have to allow 1200 kids to carry them.

if you don't suspend THIS student, you can't ever suspend a student for it.

besides, WTF reason does a child need a lighter for?  He's either smoking - which is an automatic 3 day suspension - or he just likes to carry weapons.  There's a lot of flammable things in school.  it takes all of 3 seconds for a kid to light something.

I'm all for limiting the bullshit powers that school admin has - but i sure as hell don't want my kid ever atending a school where administrators let kids carry lighters.

BM OUT

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #21 on: September 23, 2010, 11:18:16 AM »
cuz the NEXT kid that carries a lighter will SUE THE SCHOOL for his suspension.  Cause you let the other kid off...

Remember, many people are a bunch of sue-happy bitches like Christine Odonnell.

You enforce the rule across the board.  I'm a former teacher - fire is an untraceable WMD in schools - not cool one bit for such condensed population and kids who can't comprehend the consequences of their actions.

This isn't "all about the good old days when I was a kid..."
It's about how horseplay with a lighter can kill kids.  It's that simple.

"Sue happy bitches like Christine Odonnel".THE REASON there are so many lawsuits arent because of Christine Odonnel its the limp wristed pussy democrats like John Edwards ,who are run and controlled by the trial lawyers.Democrats have fostered the sue first mentality and are owned by trial lawyers.

However,leave it to a fake libertarian like yourself,to try to bash a conservative instead of the entire democrat party which wouldnt even hear of any TORT reform in their failed health care scam THAT YOU SAID was going to win over voters.Tired of people getting sued?Get the democrats like Imam Obama out of there because its that party that invented suing for no reason.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #22 on: September 23, 2010, 11:20:27 AM »
"Sue happy bitches like Christine Odonnel".THE REASON there are so many lawsuits arent because of Christine Odonnel its the limp wristed pussy democrats like John Edwards ,who are run and controlled by the trial lawyers.Democrats have fostered the sue first mentality and are owned by trial lawyers.

Dems, huh?  LOL who was the person who sued a conservative group for 7 mil because her feelings were hurt?

Citing "Mental Anguish," Christine O'Donnell Sought $6.9 Million in Gender Discrimination Lawsuit Against Conservative Group

http://www.weeklystandard.com/blogs/citing-mental-anguish-christine-odonnell-sought-69-million-gender-discrimination-lawsuit-again

Boss thinks you have a degree - and you don't - and you sue when demoted.  LMAO.  I can't see hating libs for some ignorant shit like this.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
« Reply #23 on: September 23, 2010, 11:23:54 AM »
if you allow ONE kid to carry a lighter, you have to allow 1200 kids to carry them.

if you don't suspend THIS student, you can't ever suspend a student for it.

besides, WTF reason does a child need a lighter for?  He's either smoking - which is an automatic 3 day suspension - or he just likes to carry weapons.  There's a lot of flammable things in school.  it takes all of 3 seconds for a kid to light something.

I'm all for limiting the bullshit powers that school admin has - but i sure as hell don't want my kid ever atending a school where administrators let kids carry lighters.

Ah yes.  The overly simplistic "the floodgates will open" argument.   

There is a big difference between a kid bringing a lighter to school to smoke, etc. and a kid who picked it up off the ground on the way to school.  You don't always strictly enforce a rule.  That's where common sense comes into play. 

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #24 on: September 23, 2010, 11:27:19 AM »
Ah yes.  The overly simplistic "the floodgates will open" argument.   

There is a big difference between a kid bringing a lighter to school to smoke, etc. and a kid who picked it up off the ground on the way to school.  You don't always strictly enforce a rule.  That's where common sense comes into play. 

how do you know the kid isn't lying about how he got the lighter?

If he found a knife on the street, or brought one from his kitchen, would it make any difference when he stabbed anyother kid with it?  Nope.

Sorry, but I'm all for ENFORCEMENT OF THE RULES.  You can't carry lighters cause they're for smoking or for starting fires.  Doesn't matter if he claims "I found it" or if the lighter fairy put it under his pillow.  He didn't respect the school rules, period.