Author Topic: Colbert embarrasses Dems; Conyers asks comedian to leave hearing.  (Read 2868 times)

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Doesnt lie about lifting.
Colbert embarrasses Dems; Conyers asks comedian to leave hearing.
« on: September 24, 2010, 10:44:54 AM »
Colbert embarrasses Dems; Conyers asks comedian to leave
By: Byron York
Chief Political Correspondent
www.washingtonexaminer.c om
09/24/10 10:59 AM EDT

________________________ ________________________ __________

Actor Stephen Colbert testifies alongside several other witnesses before a U.S. House committee on farm labor
The appearance of comedian Stephen Colbert before the House Judiciary Committee's Subcommittee on Immigration, Citizenship, Refugees, Border Security, and International Law has turned into an embarrassment for the Democrats responsible for the hearing.

The subcommittee is chaired by Rep. Zoe Lofgren, but Rep. John Conyers is chairmen of the larger Judiciary Committee. In that role, he has a seat on the subcommittee, and he spoke up early in the hearing. To the surprise of many observers, Conyers used his time to ask Colbert to leave.

"I'm so happy that you've helped us fill the room," Conyers said to Colbert. "I haven't seen this many cameras since -- when?"

"Maybe since impeachment," said Lofgren, to pained laughter among the lawmakers.

At that point, Conyers thanked Colbert for showing up and asked him to leave the room. Colbert seemed confused. Was Conyers asking him not to speak? No, Conyers said, he was asking him to leave altogether.

"You run your show," Conyers said. "We run the committee."

Colbert said he was there at the invitation of Lofgren and would do whatever she asked. Seeking a moment to think, Lofgren asked Republican Rep. Dan Lungren to speak for a few moments while she decided what to do.

Colbert stayed in place as the other witnesses made opening statements. When Colbert's turn came, Conyers briefly interrupted to say that he was withdrawing his request for Colbert to leave.

Then Colbert began his testimony, which was an in-character schtick based on a one-day visit to an upstate New York farm. "This is America," Colbert said. "I don't want a tomato picked by a Mexican."  As the hearing went on, Colbert said things like, "I was a cornpacker&hellipcornpacker is a derogatory term for a gay Iowan."

At the end, Lofgren proclaimed the hearing "helpful." She thanked the witnesses, who she called "volunteers to help make a better country." But the presence of her star witness, Colbert, had cause a number of strange and awkward moments, ones that could come back to some of the Democrats on the panel in the campaign ahead.

________________________ ______________________

What a complete ass. 

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
Re: Colbert embarrasses Dems; Conyers asks comedian to leave hearing.
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2010, 10:46:43 AM »
Colbert testimony an ‘embarrassment,’ says Issa
By: David Freddoso
Online Opinion Editor
09/24/10 11:25 AM EDT

________________________ ________________________

FromThe Hill:

“This Congress is redefining the meaning of do-nothing and the fact that Congressional Democrats used their time and effort today to get Stephen Colbert to testify before the House Judiciary Committee while refusing to allow a straight-up-or-down vote on extending tax cuts for all Americans is an embarrassment.  It would be nothing short of cowardly, for this Congress to adjourn before at least trying to have a straight-up-or-down vote on extending tax breaks for the American people.”

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2010, 10:51:17 AM »
What the hey.  We put Krusty the Clown in the Senate.  Why not have a comedian testify at a House hearing? 

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2010, 10:53:14 AM »
What the hey.  We put Krusty the Clown in the Senate.  Why not have a comedian testify at a House hearing? 

Apparently he tried to get a copy of his colonoscopy entered into the Cong. Record. 

What a fool.  This is exactly what i am talking about when I laugh at the left wingers getting their talking points from comedians. 

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2010, 10:55:37 AM »
Apparently he tried to get a copy of his colonoscopy entered into the Cong. Record. 

What a fool.  This is exactly what i am talking about when I laugh at the left wingers getting their talking points from comedians. 

Embarrassing. 

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2010, 11:00:40 AM »
what in the world is he doing testifying in front of congress in the first place?

does he hold some important position relevant to the topic?
does he have some important insight into the topic?

no, so why in the hell is he in front of congress in the first place?

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2010, 11:01:22 AM »
what in the world is he doing testifying in front of congress in the first place?

It was on immigration and stupid day he spent on a farm. 

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2010, 11:13:40 AM »
It was on immigration and stupid day he spent on a farm. 
LOL i worked in home construction and remodeling for a year, can I go testify?

Skip8282

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2010, 12:49:45 PM »
We had a muppet testify.  I think she was just trying to lighten the mood, but wrong atmosphere and probably wrong comedian.

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2010, 09:14:02 PM »
I don't see the problem.  Congress is a joke anyway.  they're just as embarrassing and they are trying to be serious.  might as well have testimony that is a joke too.

BM OUT

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2010, 04:35:32 AM »
I don't see the problem.  Congress is a joke anyway.  they're just as embarrassing and they are trying to be serious.  might as well have testimony that is a joke too.

100% agree.This is the same body,that had hearings the same day as Colbert on head injuries in sports.What the fuck buisiness is it for the government to get involved in sports.Mind their buisiness.

chadstallion

• Getbig IV
« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2010, 06:17:44 AM »

bingo.
exactly why was Elmo invited to testify years ago? At least he wore a suit for that hearing..
w

Mr. Magoo

• Getbig V
  • THE most mistaken identity on getbig
« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2010, 12:15:31 PM »
you guys are idiots

colbert brought cameras and media attention to the hearing, do you think there would be that many cameras or would the hearing be on top of yahoo news if he wasn't there? Of course not, he used his status in society to bring public attention to an issue that he feels very strongly about. I certainly wouldn't have watched the hearing if he wasn't there, and I probably wouldnt have even known about a hearing on the rights of migrant farm workers. Colbert didn't have to go work on the farm for a day, he did it because nobody else in america wanted to do it and it would draw attention and help those farm workers get support.

+1 for Colbert

GigantorX

• Getbig V
  • GetBig's A-Team is the Light of Truth!
« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2010, 02:22:35 PM »
you guys are idiots

colbert brought cameras and media attention to the hearing, do you think there would be that many cameras or would the hearing be on top of yahoo news if he wasn't there? Of course not, he used his status in society to bring public attention to an issue that he feels very strongly about. I certainly wouldn't have watched the hearing if he wasn't there, and I probably wouldnt have even known about a hearing on the rights of migrant farm workers. Colbert didn't have to go work on the farm for a day, he did it because nobody else in america wanted to do it and it would draw attention and help those farm workers get support.

+1 for Colbert
::)
I geeze.

chadstallion

• Getbig IV
« Reply #14 on: September 25, 2010, 04:06:44 PM »
you guys are idiots

+1 for Colbert

thank you.
w

Skip8282

• Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: September 25, 2010, 06:02:12 PM »
you guys are idiots

+1 for Colbert

If that was the purpose, he's another liberal failure because all of the attention is on him and about him.  And still nobody knows the results of the committee meeting, the issues that were being confronted, or what decisions were made as a result of the hearing.

Don't worry though, you and chadstallion can still high five each other as though something was accomplished.

-1 for Colbert

The Showstoppa

• Getbig V
  • Call the vet, cause these pythons are sick!
« Reply #16 on: September 25, 2010, 06:54:52 PM »

If that was the purpose, he's another liberal failure because all of the attention is on him and about him.  And still nobody knows the results of the committee meeting, the issues that were being confronted, or what decisions were made as a result of the hearing.

Don't worry though, you and chadstallion can still high five each other as though something was accomplished.

-1 for Colbert

Bingo.  The issue was buried behind this senseless waste of time.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: September 27, 2010, 08:00:58 PM »
Agree.  I could care less why he was there.  I assumed he was going to tell jokes. 

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #18 on: September 27, 2010, 08:14:07 PM »
they knew what they were getting with him.

chadstallion

• Getbig IV
« Reply #19 on: October 01, 2010, 01:36:12 PM »
they knew what they were getting with him.

still priceless!
w