Author Topic: When aesthetics aren't enough : Dexter vs Branch  (Read 11455 times)

FREAKgeek

• Getbig V
  • Fan of the Golden Era
When aesthetics aren't enough : Dexter vs Branch
« on: September 27, 2010, 05:57:48 PM »

Front double : Branch

Back double : Branch

Ab/Thigh : Branch

Side Tri : Branch

Side Chest : Branch

Front Lat : Branch

Rear Lat : Branch

MM : Dexter

MB

• Getbig IV
Re: When aesthetics aren't enough : Dexter vs Branch
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2010, 06:08:08 PM »
I agree with what Jim Rockell said on PBW.  Branch was actually closer to Jay and Phil than he was to Dexter. 

tendonitis

• Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2010, 06:11:07 PM »
what species is this thing called branch?

benchmstr

• Getbig V
  • Raging drunk
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2010, 06:14:06 PM »
what species is this thing called branch?
the type thats obviously ownes your mind....

bench

HTexan

• Getbig V
  • Heath must lose!!
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2010, 06:15:53 PM »
Front double : Branch

hahahahahahahahaahahahha hahaah
A

benchmstr

• Getbig V
  • Raging drunk
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2010, 06:17:07 PM »
hahahahahahahahaahahahhahahaah
except for the lat he does....dex doesnt have enough thickness to compete...

bench

delta9mda

• Getbig V
  • Team Pussy Claad/ ya know I'm sayin?
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2010, 09:16:00 PM »
branch has size and condition over dex therefor branch places higher. end of story.

saucetradomous

• Competitors
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2010, 09:22:40 PM »
except for the lat he does....dex doesnt have enough thickness to compete...

bench

dex beats him in shoulders, bi's and forearms in that shot. Midsection He has him as well.  Branch obviously takes the lower half.  After looking at the other shots though Branch's conditioning is spot on and some of his other poses do kill Dex, but his overall shape is just bleh!

Vince B

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What you!
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2010, 09:33:58 PM »
Who are the judges and what is the criterion? Also, who picks the judges and on what qualifications? I have never approved of the system where they assess judges by how well they agree with other judges. While that is important it makes for some anxiety of the judges to vote for who the others are voting for.

There are several factors that are important. What is the judging process? What is the scoring system? Do the rounds count equally? Where do the judges sit and are they separated? There should be no opportunity for judges to compare notes or have others discuss the contest with them. Therefore the whole process should be completed at the so-called prejudging. No posedown, etc., for points except perhaps for a best poser award if given. The history of both the women and men demonstates that decisions made after the judging often changes by time the contest is over. While that may reward the best men it also allows for some to influence the judges and this really shouldn't happen. I wouldn't want to see the judges separated and isolated but what else is going to guarantee independent and unbiased judging?

Dexter has a better physique than Branch Warren. So what if the guy is huge and ripped. His bodyparts don't go together well and I would never place him above Dexter, Phil, Ronny, and even Jay. That he does well in top shows is a credit to him but it reflects badly on the whole judging process. Overall appearance should be paramount and in that regard Branch should be placed lower. His legs are great but they are out of proportion to his upper body. He compounds this by placing them out wide in many poses.

~UN_$ung~

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • Been real, been nice...but it hasnt been Real Nice
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2010, 09:35:32 PM »
im really happy for branch and his success

lot of people shit on him , this past year, giving him very little respect

he persevered, and somehow brought a better , more well proportioned package

he works hard, keeps his mouth shut, and deserves all the success he is reaping

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2010, 09:36:28 PM »
Who are the judges and what is the criterion? Also, who picks the judges and on what qualifications? I have never approved of the system where they assess judges by how well they agree with other judges. While that is important it makes for some anxiety of the judges to vote for who the others are voting for.

There are several factors that are important. What is the judging process? What is the scoring system? Do the rounds count equally? Where do the judges sit and are they separated? There should be no opportunity for judges to compare notes or have others discuss the contest with them. Therefore the whole process should be completed at the so-called prejudging. No posedown, etc., for points except perhaps for a best poser award if given. The history of both the women and men demonstates that decisions made after the judging often changes by time the contest is over. While that may reward the best men it also allows for some to influence the judges and this really shouldn't happen. I wouldn't want to see the judges separated and isolated but what else is going to guarantee independent and unbiased judging?

Dexter has a better physique than Branch Warren. So what if the guy is huge and ripped. His bodyparts don't go together well and I would never place him above Dexter, Phil, Ronny, and even Jay. That he does well in top shows is a credit to him but it reflects badly on the whole judging process. Overall appearance should be paramount and in that regard Branch should be placed lower. His legs are great but they are out of proportion to his upper body. He compounds this by placing them out wide in many poses.

Fuck ::)

disco_stu

• Getbig V
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2010, 09:38:22 PM »
hahahahahahahahaahahahhahahaah

x2.

this is one of the all time most idiotic posts ive read in 12 years of being at GB.com.

it probably explains why the 'O is the way it is though.

how anyone can put that pile of crap ahead of Dex in any of those poses except maybe for the rear double bi, is beyond comprehension.

yet it apparently has happened and still does.

that single front double bi alone should put Dex so far ahead of Branch that even if he was better in the others, he shouldnt catch up.

its amazing how "mass" is rated by some...

ridiculous.

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2010, 09:38:49 PM »
im really happy for branch and his success

lot of people shit on him , this past year, giving him very little respect

he persevered, and somehow brought a better , more well proportioned package

he works hard, keeps his mouth shut, and deserves all the success he is reaping

I don't have very many favorites in this age of "bodybuilding" but Branch is one. Dude knows hows to train and doesn't train like pussy.

disco_stu

• Getbig V
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #13 on: September 27, 2010, 09:39:30 PM »

abso- effin- lutley spot on!

~UN_$ung~

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: September 27, 2010, 09:41:50 PM »
I don't have very many favorites in this age of "bodybuilding" but Branch is one. Dude knows hows to train and doesn't train like pussy.

plus he is a man, not some adolescent narcissist like most pro BBs

has a successful business, hot wife, good life, faith

carries himself with pride and respect

Vince B

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What you!
« Reply #15 on: September 27, 2010, 09:57:43 PM »
Obviously, training hard, being a nice guy, having a hot wife, being strong, believing in God, being successful in business, and having pride, etc., cannot and should not count in a bodybuilding contest. The old AAU Mr America counted such things but Joe thought it fairer to reward the best physique so that is what should be happening.

flexingtonsteele

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • The new age pussy Punisher!
« Reply #16 on: September 27, 2010, 10:00:52 PM »
Branch's asthetics have actually improved a ton in the past few years. I think thats what is helping him place so much higher in some of these shows recently. His waist is smaller and his upper body is catching up with his lower half.

Kudos to Branch, he was the freakiest guy on stage. Too bad he doesnt have a back.

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
« Reply #17 on: September 27, 2010, 10:01:13 PM »
Obviously, training hard, being a nice guy, having a hot wife, being strong, believing in God, being successful in business, and having pride, etc., cannot and should not count in a bodybuilding contest. The old AAU Mr America counted such things but Joe thought it fairer to reward the best physique so that is what should be happening.

Thats why bodybuilding isn't and cannot ever be a sport...ever, it's too subjective.

delta9mda

• Getbig V
  • Team Pussy Claad/ ya know I'm sayin?
« Reply #18 on: September 27, 2010, 10:10:50 PM »
branch's calves are the size of dex's quads, hope this helps

Vince B

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What you!
« Reply #19 on: September 27, 2010, 10:12:04 PM »
Yes, it is a subjective process but it can be made more objective in many ways. One is to have three judging panels. First does the contest. The second looks at photos all scaled to the same size. The third looks at and evaluates from the videos. Combine the scores by having the first group count 50% and the other two 25% each. That would be fair because the last two groups could take their time and keep looking at photos and videos. We would have to have standardized videos made instead of some that zoom in and out and miss many of the full poses.

What happens today is that personalities enter the equation and need I mention contracts and sponsors? All affect the results and this is to be expected. At the very least the judging results published for everyone to view. Too much control resides at the top and this includes selection of officials. I believe we have an unelected, lifetime pro athletes rep. This dude represents the Olympians by MCing the contest. I shake my head at the whole enterprise and am hardly surprised at controversy after controversy.

~UN_$ung~

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
« Reply #20 on: September 27, 2010, 10:15:19 PM »
Branch's asthetics have actually improved a ton in the past few years. I think thats what is helping him place so much higher in some of these shows recently. His waist is smaller and his upper body is catching up with his lower half.

Kudos to Branch, he was the freakiest guy on stage. Too bad he doesnt have a back.

thats true.........and let people put that into perspective......changin g you physique, not as in adding weight, but actually changing your proportion and balance is not an easy feat for any competitor, particularly for as guy as far into his career as branch is

guys can add mass, or bring in better condition...........but to actually change your proportion and make yourself more aesthetic is near fuckin impossible.......muscula ture is pretty much all genetic

you cant just go, "well, i just want my back to grow, and my waist to get smaller"........but somehow branch is pulling it off to a successful degree

good for him.....

flexingtonsteele

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • The new age pussy Punisher!
« Reply #21 on: September 27, 2010, 10:19:48 PM »

thats true.........and let people put that into perspective......changin g you physique, not as in adding weight, but actually changing your proportion and balance is not an easy feat for any competitor, particularly for as guy as far into his career as branch is

guys can add mass, or bring in better condition...........but to actually change your proportion and make yourself more aesthetic is near fuckin impossible.......muscula ture is pretty much all genetic

you cant just go, "well, i just want my back to grow, and my waist to get smaller"........but somehow branch is pulling it off to a successful degree

good for him.....

Very true, im not really a branch fan.

But he definetely deserves props for doing so much with less than pretty much anyone else on that stage.

Vince B

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What you!
« Reply #22 on: September 27, 2010, 10:26:56 PM »
Branch can change his presentation and become slightly more aesthetic. If Dexter helped him it would make a big difference. Eg. His lats are so wide that they merge into his triceps in the front double biceps pose. If Branch lifts his elbows perhaps 2 inches he would have a better flow. He needs to keep his legs closer together and not squat down while posing. That accentuates his being bottom heavy. When standing relaxed he needs to keep his ^%@#%@# elbows close to his body and not out wide like some musclehead. I mean, don't these guys have any idea how to pose! He makes the same mistake front and back and looks the worse for it. Shortasses who are thick need to resemble Hercules and not try the fancy out wide poses.

Parker

• Getbig V
  • He Sees The Stormy Anger Of The World
« Reply #23 on: September 27, 2010, 10:52:55 PM »
branch has size and condition over dex therefor branch places higher. end of story.
Really, I see a far more conditioned Dex, and a piss poor wrinkley back on ZBranch, if branch was in condition, he would have no wrinkles...T Rex arms and a upper body that doesn't match his world class legs.

SGT BARNES

• Getbig IV
  • crush your enemies, see them driven before you
« Reply #24 on: September 27, 2010, 10:58:24 PM »
aesthetics