Author Topic: Tom Platz update  (Read 17712 times)

gcb

• Getbig IV
  • you suffer, why?
Re: Tom Platz update
« Reply #25 on: September 28, 2010, 06:00:17 PM »
his back is actually quite impressive, it's just his arms, chest and shoulders, and those legs overpowered everything

dr.chimps

• Getbig V
  • Chimpus ergo sum
« Reply #26 on: September 28, 2010, 07:12:39 PM »
According to wiki:

"He is currently a Professor and Director of Bodybuilding Sciences at ISSA."
Hold on, I'm downloading my Phd. from DeVry.

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
« Reply #27 on: September 28, 2010, 07:14:59 PM »

Cher looking pretty beat up.

Hahahahahahaha!

Matt C

• Getbig V
  • The White Vince Goodrum
« Reply #28 on: September 28, 2010, 08:44:46 PM »
According to wiki:

"He is currently a Professor and Director of Bodybuilding Sciences at ISSA."

What exactly is this qualification?  Doesn't one need a Ph.D to hold the title of "Professor"?
Bodybuilding Pro.com

Man of Steel

• Getbig V
  • Isaiah40:28-31 ✝ Romans10:9 ✝ 1Peter3:15
« Reply #29 on: September 28, 2010, 08:55:51 PM »
Good ole Tom Platz....33" thighs and 12" arms.

Jussup

• Getbig II
« Reply #30 on: September 29, 2010, 01:22:01 AM »
Platz now lives in Scottsdale, Arizona, on the TPC golf course, and supplements his income working as a salesman at Airpark Chrysler Jeep

supplement what income? Serious question. I know Tom was big time into the seminar business back in the day, but that was 20 years ago and certainly didn't create millions.
I noticed that he tried to establish an own message board and an internet business around that, selling some old stuff, DVDs etc., but it seemed like that never took off also mabye due to a bit inconsistent try with the website being on- and offline every two days.

Good ole Tom. I truely hope he is doing well.
This thread just reminds me of how great the 80s were and what changed:
In contrast to Phil Heath passing out on a bicep machine Tom did die under the squat rack multiple times.

Figo

• Getbig V
« Reply #31 on: September 29, 2010, 01:29:00 AM »
Platz was one of the first guys to really market himself, and treat bbing as a biz/profession, a consummate pro

great rep for bbing, never was gonna be mr O, but a fan fave much like MM and DeMayo

Hope he did well and put away some cash

healthiswealth

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #32 on: September 29, 2010, 01:31:27 AM »
What exactly is this qualification?  Doesn't one need a Ph.D to hold the title of "Professor"?

nope.

roccoginge

« Reply #33 on: September 29, 2010, 03:00:52 AM »
This site has a bunch of people ridiculing Tom, when they have no chance of turning pro.  This man was ahead of his time.  I owned a car dealer from the age 22, without an inheritence.  Not everyone will be ok in this life.  Just because you're in this catagory, doesn't give you the right to throw everyone under the bus.  Tom is a good car salesman.

crownshep

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #34 on: September 29, 2010, 04:41:41 AM »
Looked incredible in 81.

Meso_z

• Getbig V
« Reply #35 on: September 29, 2010, 05:30:46 AM »
Looked incredible in 81.

I was wondering what was those guys diets and training back then, they all looked great and conditioned..

Figo

• Getbig V
« Reply #36 on: September 29, 2010, 08:29:07 AM »
I was wondering what was those guys diets and training back then, they all looked great and conditioned..

yep

diet, training, etc

they had the best look ever (out of the 60's, 70,s, etc)

Meso_z

• Getbig V
« Reply #37 on: September 29, 2010, 09:19:09 AM »
yep

diet, training, etc

they had the best look ever (out of the 60's, 70,s, etc)

aceto said a typical diet for a guy in this era was 150 carbs, some would go lower than 100....high protein, high volume training and NO cardio.

JP_RC

• Getbig IV
« Reply #38 on: September 29, 2010, 09:22:31 AM »

This is what Platz said in an interview about his diet:

"Really in the 70's we were all on the high-fat, high-protein diet; eating mostly eggs, tuna, and other meats, basically restricting our carbohydrate intake. But let me tell you, I had a lot of success in 1981, when I switched to a high carbohydrate low fat diet. All of a sudden my body came together and I was like oh my God! I looked in the mirror almost scared at how good the results were! I still obviously stuck to a high protein diet but just limited the fat intake. I was in unbelievable condition, and that was probably my best year ever by switching like that. As in eating and nutrition, in workouts, periodic change is the secret. You know a lot of this is done now with some of the gurus of the sport, but back then I was experimenting with it."

He pretty much got into his best shape following a high carb-high protein-low fat diet in 1981.

As far as training: I've read some of his routines, they were all high volume workouts just like everybody else back then.

Disgusted

• Expert
  • Getbig V
« Reply #39 on: September 29, 2010, 09:44:34 AM »
I think Tom may have been his leanest in 1980.

#1 Klaus fan

• Getbig V
« Reply #40 on: September 29, 2010, 09:47:46 AM »
his back is actually quite impressive, it's just his arms, chest and shoulders, and those legs overpowered everything

Looking at this photo the only thing that looks lacking is his shoulders, but that is by looking at it with todays standards.

Disgusted

• Expert
  • Getbig V
« Reply #41 on: September 29, 2010, 09:50:09 AM »
Looking at this photo the only thing that looks lacking is his shoulders, but that is by looking at it with todays standards.

At least they were striated. Most guys today in that pose have next to none.

JP_RC

• Getbig IV
« Reply #42 on: September 29, 2010, 09:57:28 AM »

It looks better in black & white

crownshep

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #43 on: September 29, 2010, 10:07:17 AM »
Musclemag international cover of the 81 Olympia.

Meso_z

• Getbig V
« Reply #44 on: September 29, 2010, 10:43:15 AM »
Musclemag international cover of the 81 Olympia.
awful judging at that show.

Team Diver

• Getbig IV
  • Squeeeeze!!!
« Reply #45 on: September 29, 2010, 12:25:00 PM »
aceto said a typical diet for a guy in this era was 150 carbs, some would go lower than 100....high protein, high volume training and NO cardio.

OMG, that's exactly what I do!!! (but without juice)

Re: the picture: that's not Kurt Russel  :D

Parker

• Getbig V
  • He Sees The Stormy Anger Of The World
« Reply #46 on: September 29, 2010, 12:34:15 PM »
Professor Tom Platz & wife
pic courtesy ofhttp://tomoko.musclemediajapan.com/images/tomplatz.jpg
What the Hell? She looks "worn out"...and he looks like he has never aged...that is the opposite, cause Asians age "better"...

And he still has the chipmunk roid cheeks

FREAKgeek

• Getbig V
  • Fan of the Golden Era
« Reply #47 on: September 29, 2010, 01:06:28 PM »

Franco getting owned.

Skylge

• Getbig IV
« Reply #48 on: September 29, 2010, 02:59:59 PM »
This is what Platz said in an interview about his diet:

"Really in the 70's we were all on the high-fat, high-protein diet; eating mostly eggs, tuna, and other meats, basically restricting our carbohydrate intake. But let me tell you, I had a lot of success in 1981, when I switched to a high carbohydrate low fat diet. All of a sudden my body came together and I was like oh my God! I looked in the mirror almost scared at how good the results were! I still obviously stuck to a high protein diet but just limited the fat intake. I was in unbelievable condition, and that was probably my best year ever by switching like that. As in eating and nutrition, in workouts, periodic change is the secret. You know a lot of this is done now with some of the gurus of the sport, but back then I was experimenting with it."

He pretty much got into his best shape following a high carb-high protein-low fat diet in 1981.

As far as training: I've read some of his routines, they were all high volume workouts just like everybody else back then.
[/i]

I thought he was the first or one of the first HGH users, judging by his jaw/straited glutes/and exceptional leg development?

Nothing has changed, todays mags probably still write all this crap about what "diet" pro's are using. A certain diet is not what makes them look the way they do......

The Abdominal Snoman

• Getbig V
  • DON'T BE A TRAITOR TO YOUR TRIBE
« Reply #49 on: September 29, 2010, 05:08:42 PM »
This site has a bunch of people ridiculing Tom, when they have no chance of turning pro.  This man was ahead of his time.  I owned a car dealer from the age 22, without an inheritence.  Not everyone will be ok in this life.  Just because you're in this catagory, doesn't give you the right to throw everyone under the bus.  Tom is a good car salesman.

So at a very young age you knew that you were very good at fucking people over :-\