Author Topic: USA is fattest of 33 countries, report says  (Read 938 times)

loco

• Getbig V
  • loco like a fox
USA is fattest of 33 countries, report says
« on: September 29, 2010, 05:01:38 AM »
The United States is the fattest nation among 33 countries with advanced economies, according to a report out today from an international think tank.

Two-thirds of people in this country are overweight or obese; about a third of adults — more than 72 million — are obese, which is roughly 30 pounds over a healthy weight.

Obesity rates have skyrocketed since the 1980s in almost all the countries where long-term data is available, says the report from the Organization for Economic Cooperation and Development (OECD), which works on policies to promote better economies and quality of life. Countries with the fastest obesity growth rates: the United States, Australia and England.

"Obesity is a growing threat to public health in all the advanced countries throughout the world," OECD spokesman Matthias Rumpf says. Obesity causes illnesses, reduces life expectancy and increases health care costs, he says.

Obesity increases the risk of heart disease, diabetes, several types of cancer and other diseases. Obesity cost the U.S. an estimated $147 billion in weight-related medical bills in 2008, according to a study by government scientists.

"We have to find the most effective and cost-efficient way to deal with the problem," Rumpf says. "Countries can learn from each other, and the best and most effective policies can be used in all countries."

Among OECD's recommendations:

•Individual lifestyle counseling by family doctors and dietitians to increase the life expectancy and quality of life for people who are obese or at risk of becoming so. "It costs a lot of money," Rumpf says, "but you get a lot for this money."

•Health-promotion campaigns, compulsory food labeling and a serious commitment from the food industry to stop advertising unhealthy foods to kids.

"There are a lot of these things going on in the U.S. already, but the question is (whether) you can adjust and redirect the policies to make them more effective," he says. "No one can fix the problem, but we can reduce it."

Neville Rigby, director of the European Obesity Forum, says the OECD report "is important because it provides clear evidence that the way most countries have been approaching obesity has been doomed to failure."

"Obesity must be tackled by a multi-pronged approach that involves a combination of strong policy measures at the same time as individual management issues are addressed by physicians and their teams," he says.

The report "makes the case for a much more robust set of government and societal actions," Rigby says. If society waits for business and individuals to do what is really needed, "the obesity epidemic will simply get much, much worse."

http://www.usatoday.com/news/health/weightloss/2010-09-24-fatusa24_ST_N.htm

BM OUT

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
Re: USA is fattest of 33 countries, report says
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2010, 05:27:19 AM »
Based on the idiotic BMI index.According to that pile of crap EVERY NFL player is obese,a bodybuilder in contest shape is obese and just about every athlete on earth is obese.

Deicide

• Getbig V
  • Reapers...
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2010, 10:24:31 AM »
Based on the idiotic BMI index.According to that pile of crap EVERY NFL player is obese,a bodybuilder in contest shape is obese and just about every athlete on earth is obese.

Yes; clearly these large Americans are for the most part well muscled professional athletes, not poor white trash from Alabama.
I hate the State.

kcballer

• Getbig V
  • In you I feel so pretty, In you I taste God
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2010, 10:38:35 AM »

Billy come one.  The BMI has it's restrictions but half of America aren't NFL players or bodybuilders.  They are obese.  As defined by their large % of bodyfat as opposed to their large amount of muscle.  You're acting as if walmart if full of jay cutlers just waiting to cut down to Olympia shape. 
Abandon every hope...

MuscleMcMannus

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2010, 10:40:46 AM »
Look at all the getbiggers on here who are borderline obese.......and this is a supposed bodybuilding website.  LMAO! 

Skeletor

• Getbig V
  • Silence you furry fool!
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2010, 10:41:54 AM »
And how many people with a "normal" BMI have very high BF levels (skinny fat), zero conditioning, high cholesterol, dead immune system etc..
How healthy is the average couch potato or desk jokey who might be "normal" in BMI weight yet eats like shit and can't walk 50 yards without collapsing?
I think the BMI is inaccurate and the overall health and condition should be determined with other methods.

I do think the US has a high percentage of morbidly obese people (people so big they can't walk, get into cars etc) compared to other countries though.
In fact I've never seen so many morbidly obese people in any place other than the US. Fat people or pot bellies etc yes but morbidly obese, no.

Notice this phrase:

"multi-pronged approach that involves a combination of strong policy measures"

That's part of the solution proposed, more regulations and measures...

MuscleMcMannus

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2010, 10:43:33 AM »
And how many people with a "normal" BMI have very high BF levels (skinny fat), zero conditioning, high cholesterol, dead immune system etc..
How healthy is the average couch potato or desk jokey who might be "normal" in BMI weight yet eats like shit and can't walk 50 yards without collapsing?
I think the BMI is inaccurate and the overall health and condition should be determined with other methods.

I do think the US has a high percentage of morbidly obese people (people so big they can't walk, get into cars etc) compared to other countries though.
In fact I've never seen so many morbidly obese people in any place other than the US. Fat people or pot bellies etc yes but morbidly obese, no.

Notice this phrase:

As the standard american diet and McDonald's spreads you'll see it in places all over the world unfortunately. 

Deicide

• Getbig V
  • Reapers...
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2010, 10:46:02 AM »
As the standard american diet and McDonald's spreads you'll see it in places all over the world unfortunately. 

I think at least 53% are NFL players actually.
I hate the State.

kcballer

• Getbig V
  • In you I feel so pretty, In you I taste God
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2010, 10:47:23 AM »

Notice this phrase:

The BMI has it's limits and there will always be people who are anomalies no matter what measure you use.  But it's a key part and does a good job of getting a sense of an overall healthly picture for a majority of human beings.  That's who we are talking about - a majority of the population not a minority of people how lift weights, or play football, or who have a good BMI but are unfit.   Those are anomalies.  
Abandon every hope...

BM OUT

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2010, 11:18:12 AM »
Some of you are morons
According to the BMI a 5'9 man is overweight if he weighs 170lbs.5'9 170 is a rail thin,dam near emaciated human being.The BMI index is the dumbest thing ever invented.When we have an index claiming your overweight at 170lbs standing 5'9 then that is absolutely assinine.

Why dont they do bodyfat percentages.I have seen 5'9 170lb men who carry more fat then guys who weigh 220lbs,but according to all mighty BMI the 170lber is healthier.

To DECIDE no one is saying everyone is an NFL player,but the BMI says every guy in the NFL is obese.Do you think every guy in the NFL is obese?Does Adrian Petterson look obese,because the BMI says he is.

loco

• Getbig V
  • loco like a fox
« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2010, 11:18:54 AM »
A walk through any part of the South of the US will kill any doubts in the accuracy of this report.   :)

Deicide

• Getbig V
  • Reapers...
« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2010, 11:22:17 AM »
A walk through any part of the South of the US will kill any doubts in the accuracy of this report.   :)

Doesn't the South have the highest obesity rates in the country? ???
I hate the State.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2010, 11:24:55 AM »
I agree with Billy about BMI, but we do have an obesity epidemic in this country.

Deicide

• Getbig V
  • Reapers...
« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2010, 11:30:02 AM »
I agree with Billy about BMI, but we do have an obesity epidemic in this country.

WOW, YOU AGREE?! Are pigs flying?!  :o
I hate the State.

loco

• Getbig V
  • loco like a fox
« Reply #14 on: September 29, 2010, 11:40:52 AM »
Doesn't the South have the highest obesity rates in the country? ???

I guess.  I've visited the South of the US before and I saw giants everywhere.  I mean, we do have fat people in Venezuela, but dang!   :o

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
« Reply #15 on: September 29, 2010, 11:41:54 AM »
WOW, YOU AGREE?! Are pigs flying?!  :o

Must be.  Next thing you know you'll actually start smiling and laughing (like I do every day).   :)

Fury

• Getbig V
  • All aboard the USS Leverage
« Reply #16 on: September 29, 2010, 11:46:04 AM »
You still fat, Deicide?

Deicide

• Getbig V
  • Reapers...
« Reply #17 on: September 29, 2010, 11:48:20 AM »
You still fat, Deicide?

Less fat than earlier days though not cut.

I was never obese however.

How is Connecticut these days?
I hate the State.

Fury

• Getbig V
« Reply #18 on: September 29, 2010, 11:49:37 AM »

I was never obese however.

That's debatable.

Deicide

• Getbig V
  • Reapers...
« Reply #19 on: September 29, 2010, 11:50:30 AM »
That's debatable.

Uhuh.

Anything of value you wish to contribute to this topic?
I hate the State.

Fury

• Getbig V
« Reply #20 on: September 29, 2010, 11:54:49 AM »
Sure. Economist's ranking of fattest countries.

Deicide

• Getbig V
  • Reapers...
« Reply #21 on: September 29, 2010, 11:56:21 AM »
Sure. Economist's ranking of fattest countries.

Interesting stat with Saudi's women. I guess they get fed a lot+Burkha weight...
I hate the State.

boonasty

• Getbig IV
  • are you a famous getbigger? click on the globe!
« Reply #22 on: September 29, 2010, 01:21:13 PM »
The United States is the fattest nation among 33 countries with advanced economies, according to a report out today from an international think tank.

we're number one! we're number one!
 ;D