Author Topic: You Like Bodybuilding Yet You're a Liberal???  (Read 3534 times)

Arnold jr

• Getbig V
  • fleshandiron.com
You Like Bodybuilding Yet You're a Liberal???
« on: October 03, 2010, 03:45:24 AM »
Since this is primarily a bodybuilding related message board it only stands to reason that when you first came here it was because you have an interest in bodybuilding. I think that pretty much goes without saying. Be you a competitor, a fan of the sport, or maybe you simply came because you have an interest...either way, that's the only reason you first came here.

Yet if you're a supporter of the liberal and/or progressive movement, you are supporting one of the biggest enemies of bodybuilding and fitness on this planet. True, there are a lot of things far more important than bodybuilding, far more important, but if you're here, more than likely, the issues of bodybuilding and fitness carry some level of importance for you.

Let's examine:

Who's responsible for most of the regulations on supplements? Progressives (too many to list)
Who's responsible for the 1990 steroid bill? Progressives, notably, Joe Biden
Who's responsible for the baseball hearings? Progressives, notably Henry Waxman
Who's responsible for the current policy forming on food regulation? Progressives , notably Obama

How can you support these people?

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
Re: You Like Bodybuilding Yet You're a Liberal???
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2010, 04:28:03 AM »
oh please, don't for a second act like there isn't any republicans to be found behind some of that shit.  There is.  And even more pathetic is trying to tie a person's hand politically because they're into bodybuilding. This part of getbig exists for people who are into bodybuilding, when they want to get a political beef out or talk politics, it's a place for you and them to talk it out with people they have something in common with.  We seem to forget that way to much on this forum.  We all have that much in common.  According to what you're saying, leftwing bodybuilders should not exist and this should just be a forum for rightwing bodybuilders to pat eachother on the back.  Yea, sounds like a blast.  Well what does one do when they have come to think both parties suck lol...  Maybe we should just team up and kick out all the dems right?  Dems shouldn't be bodybuilders!!!!  How dare they!!!

This is just silly, why am I even replying...

Arnold jr

• Getbig V
  • fleshandiron.com
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2010, 04:55:14 AM »
oh please, don't for a second act like there isn't any republicans to be found behind some of that shit.  There is.  And even more pathetic is trying to tie a person's hand politically because they're into bodybuilding. This part of getbig exists for people who are into bodybuilding, when they want to get a political beef out or talk politics, it's a place for you and them to talk it out with people they have something in common with.  We seem to forget that way to much on this forum.  We all have that much in common.  According to what you're saying, leftwing bodybuilders should not exist and this should just be a forum for rightwing bodybuilders to pat eachother on the back.  Yea, sounds like a blast.  Well what does one do when they have come to think both parties suck lol...  Maybe we should just team up and kick out all the dems right?  Dems shouldn't be bodybuilders!!!!  How dare they!!!

This is just silly, why am I even replying...

I should have titled the thread with the word progressive, not liberal. You're right, there are plenty of so-called conservatives who fall into the category of this topic, but they're conservative progressives. McCain is a major player in this. However, this topic has far more liberal progressives at its head but progressives are to blame in general.

Progressives were the enemy and what brought us prohibition, they are the enemy now and the reason for the things I listed above.

It doesn't bother me when someone holds left-wing ideas or beliefs, it bother me when someone holds progressive ideas and beliefs because they are contrary to the very fabric and structure of the U.S. they represent the opposite of what the U.S. is.

Again, this argument is not about D's & R's, it's about progressivism. My poi8nt with this thread was to hopefully use a topic that many if not all of us have in common and in that perhaps it would cause some to think, even for only a second and recognize what a progressive really is.

Yes, there are more progressives on the right than the left but my beef is not with democrats, my beef is with progressives on both sides, there just happens to be more of them on the left. I'll admit, maybe I did a poor job with the initial post in this thread trying to get across my points on progressives. Like I said, there are things far more important than bodybuilding in this world, but it is something that is important on some level to us all, some more than others, and if people can see how damaging progressivism is to bodybuilding, maybe it would make them stop and think about progressivism in general.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Doesnt lie about lifting.
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2010, 06:17:51 AM »
To me the whole issue is very easy - do you prefer more freedom liberty, pospertiy, and individuality, or do you prefer collectivism, welfarism, regulation, mandate, redistribution, big govt solutions, etc. 

Its that simple - either you want freedom and individual liberty or you don't. 

garebear

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • Never question my instincts.
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2010, 06:26:07 AM »
How dare the government regulate things like supplements and drugs.

Just let the companies put whatever the hell they want in there. Shit, maybe we should just sell mercury in a bottle and see if that makes your muscles grow.

The free market will regulate itself because, after a few hundred people die, the other consumers won't buy the product.

G

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Doesnt lie about lifting.
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2010, 06:29:20 AM »

Just let the companies put whatever the hell they want in there. Shit, maybe we should just sell mercury in a bottle and see if that makes your muscles grow.

The free market will regulate itself because, after a few hundred people die, the other consumers won't buy the product.

The govt allegedly regulates tobacco and booze no? 

garebear

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2010, 06:31:40 AM »
Yes, I hope so.

You know how lethal alcohol can be if not made correctly?

I'm sure bathtub gin put a roadbump in a few lives.
G

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2010, 07:34:29 AM »
allegedly? ::) lol...

Arnold jr

• Getbig V
  • fleshandiron.com
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2010, 03:25:41 PM »
To me the whole issue is very easy - do you prefer more freedom liberty, pospertiy, and individuality, or do you prefer collectivism, welfarism, regulation, mandate, redistribution, big govt solutions, etc. 

Thank you, that's all this thread was trying to convey. I thought it was a simple way to express this by using an example most of us can relate to.

Arnold jr

• Getbig V
  • fleshandiron.com
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2010, 03:26:40 PM »

No one minds the government keeping products "Safe" that's not the issue.

Lundgren

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • Banned
« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2010, 03:57:58 PM »
This is stupid. I'm not into bbing for drug use, im in it for fitness. Liberals are pro health. They want more free time for work for time at the gym, they want there people healthy so they can function at a gym. liberals are all about optimizing the health of the people. Last time I check Cons are also far more likely to band things like weed, so I dont think you can get partisan over it. 

Arnold jr

• Getbig V
  • fleshandiron.com
« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2010, 04:01:25 PM »
This is stupid. I'm not into bbing for drug use, im in it for fitness. Liberals are pro health. They want more free time for work for time at the gym, they want there people healthy so they can function at a gym. liberals are all about optimizing the health of the people. Last time I check Cons are also far more likely to band things like weed, so I dont think you can get partisan over it. 

This is not a steroid argument.

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2010, 04:14:42 PM »
Since this is primarily a bodybuilding related message board it only stands to reason that when you first came here it was because you have an interest in bodybuilding. I think that pretty much goes without saying. Be you a competitor, a fan of the sport, or maybe you simply came because you have an interest...either way, that's the only reason you first came here.

Yet if you're a supporter of the liberal and/or progressive movement, you are supporting one of the biggest enemies of bodybuilding and fitness on this planet. True, there are a lot of things far more important than bodybuilding, far more important, but if you're here, more than likely, the issues of bodybuilding and fitness carry some level of importance for you.

Let's examine:

Who's responsible for most of the regulations on supplements? Progressives (too many to list)
Who's responsible for the 1990 steroid bill? Progressives, notably, Joe Biden
Who's responsible for the baseball hearings? Progressives, notably Henry Waxman
Who's responsible for the current policy forming on food regulation? Progressives , notably Obama

How can you support these people?

I still don't get why they banned all the prohormones, except DHEA.

But, the one good thing they seem to have right is with regards to the supplement law, in which expired supplements get pulled (hence, all the nice clearance sales at GNC).  ;D

Arnold jr

• Getbig V
  • fleshandiron.com
« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2010, 04:18:00 PM »
I still don't get why they banned all the prohormones, except DHEA.

But, the one good thing they seem to have right is with regards to the supplement law, in which expired supplements get pulled (hence, all the nice clearance sales at GNC).  ;D

Enjoy it for now, because if the progressive machine has its way you can say goodbye to supplements in general.

According to progressives, you don't need supplements so there is no reason for them to be available to you in the first place. What you do have a need for is to eat and put in your body what they want you to eat and put in your body.

Example, you want fries with your burger, sorry, you can have apple slices or carrot sticks.

Lundgren

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • Banned
« Reply #14 on: October 03, 2010, 04:20:39 PM »
This is childish, supp companies are fucking crooks, stop whinning. We survived for thousands of year without em, I think we will make it without em.

Arnold jr

• Getbig V
  • fleshandiron.com
« Reply #15 on: October 03, 2010, 04:39:40 PM »
This is childish, supp companies are fucking crooks, stop whinning. We survived for thousands of year without em, I think we will make it without em.

We have survived thousands of years as humanity without universal health care so the "we have survived" is not a good argument IMO. The issue is liberty, plain and simple. Again, I used the example of bodybuilding related things to use an easy example we can all relate to. I used the hamburger and fries example for the same reason but those are only examples, the issue is liberty and individual freedom, individual responsibility and individual sovereignty. 

MM2K

• Getbig IV
« Reply #16 on: October 03, 2010, 10:32:40 PM »
Overall I think you raise a good question. But to be fair there are plenty of moderate Republicans who are just as responsible for the needless regulation of supplements. McCain comes to mind. Also that head coach from the Nebraska Cornhuskers - Osbourne. Wasnt he the one who spearheaded the movement to get Andro off the market? And there are some big liberal Senators who fight for supplement rights. Tom Harkin - whom I cant stand on all other political issues - is one of the main authors of the landmark 1994 law that greatly loosened regulations on the supplement industry.

I think a better example is the practice of bodybuilders consuming way more food than most people need to function adequately. Doesnt consuming large amounts of food while many people are starving in 3rd world countries go against liberal ideals? Isnt that too selfish to be a liberal?
Jan. Jobs: 36,000!!

Arnold jr

• Getbig V
  • fleshandiron.com
« Reply #17 on: October 03, 2010, 10:40:43 PM »
Overall I think you raise a good question. But to be fair there are plenty of moderate Republicans who are just as responsible for the needless regulation of supplements. McCain comes to mind. Also that head coach from the Nebraska Cornhuskers - Osbourne. Wasnt he the one who spearheaded the movement to get Andro off the market? And there are some big liberal Senators who fight for supplement rights. Tom Harkin - whom I cant stand on all other political issues - is one of the main authors of the landmark 1994 law that greatly loosened regulations on the supplement industry.

I think a better example is the practice of bodybuilders consuming way more food than most people need to function adequately. Doesnt consuming large amounts of food while many people are starving in 3rd world countries go against liberal ideals? Isnt that too selfish to be a liberal?

You're right, there are republicans on the wrong side of the fence on these issues, I mentioned that in a post or two back. I also said, and to my regret, I should have used the term "Progressive" instead of liberal in this thread, that was my mistake. But at the same time, again, there are far more "Liberals" who fit the progressive mold...most of them in DC actually and yes, quite a few republicans as well.

Back to the main point....whether you're a steroid user or not, the control act of 1990 affects you if you in anyway shape form or fashion use supplements, legal supplements. The ease in which any ingredient can now be labeled schedule 3 is quite easy and swift. Who is responsible for the control act, progressives, it fits the agenda. It was one of the initial steps into food, drug and health care regulation.

Guys, this is a process that's been building for awhile, control drugs, food and health care and you control everything. There is only one group who is out for the control of these three things, progressives.

See it for what it is.

benchmstr

• Getbig V
  • Raging drunk
« Reply #18 on: October 03, 2010, 10:57:34 PM »
you have to have a pretty liberal stance to do the massive ammounts of drugs needed to call yourself a bodybuilder...

bench

outby43

• Getbig IV
  • Libertarians 2016
« Reply #19 on: October 03, 2010, 11:07:38 PM »
you have to have a pretty liberal stance to do the massive ammounts of drugs needed to call yourself a bodybuilder...

bench

Yeah...That's like me shooting up coke and then telling someone they are losers for shooting heroin.  ::)

There has to be regulated control for drugs and food.  Personal liberty, freedom of expression, etc is not going to happen with either party.  Libertarian is the only one who truly holds those principals and that will only be until they are in office for a while and get greedy.

benchmstr

• Getbig V
  • Raging drunk
« Reply #20 on: October 03, 2010, 11:14:57 PM »
Yeah...That's like me shooting up coke and then telling someone they are losers for shooting heroin.  ::)

There has to be regulated control for drugs and food.  Personal liberty, freedom of expression, etc is not going to happen with either party.  Libertarian is the only one who truly holds those principals and that will only be until they are in office for a while and get greedy.
you people have completely lost the meaning of words...

bench

Arnold jr

• Getbig V
  • fleshandiron.com
« Reply #21 on: October 03, 2010, 11:22:48 PM »

bench

By the traditional stance of the word, I'll agree. By the way Locke defines "Liberal" I'll agree. By today's standards, absolutely disagree.

BM OUT

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #22 on: October 04, 2010, 01:54:12 PM »

Yes,they took steroids from being almost 100% safe to forcing them underground to  underground labs.Much safer taking test from a guy who mixed it in his kitchen,then it is from legit labs.

As with EVERYTHING the government does,as soon as they stick their nose in it,they cause 100 times more problems then already existed.What f'n buisiness is it of this filthy disgusting government if I use steroids.Its none of their god dammed buisiness.

garebear

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
« Reply #23 on: October 04, 2010, 01:57:41 PM »
Yes,they took steroids from being almost 100% safe to forcing them underground to  underground labs.Much safer taking test from a guy who mixed it in his kitchen,then it is from legit labs.

As with EVERYTHING the government does,as soon as they stick their nose in it,they cause 100 times more problems then already existed.What f'n buisiness is it of this filthy disgusting government if I use steroids.Its none of their god dammed buisiness.
I agree that you should be able to do steroids.

But wouldn't you want their production regulated? Do you think the government should inspect aspirin that companies sell to people?

Do you disapprove of minimal sanitary standards for restaurants?
G

tu_holmes

• Getbig V
  • Robot
« Reply #24 on: October 04, 2010, 01:59:34 PM »

People should be voting Libertarian if they do.

The problem is that people want freedom and individual liberty for themselves, but they want to tell everyone else what the fuck to do.

You can't have it both ways.