Author Topic: Greg Salas  (Read 12837 times)

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
Greg Salas
« on: October 03, 2010, 04:48:41 PM »
Keep your eye on this kid.  He will play on Sundays.  University of Hawaii WR.  He was the best player on a pretty average team last year.  Same this year.  Terrific hands.  Smart.  Incredibly strong and tough.  Great RAC.  Does not have great speed, but is fast enough IMO.  If he runs a good 40 time at the combine, he'll get drafted.  If not, he'll make an NFL roster as a FA WR. 

He has been on the Biletnikoff watch list the last two years.  One of the last of the June Jones diamonds in the rough.   

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
Re: Greg Salas
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2010, 05:42:13 PM »

UPINTHEMGUTS

• Getbig V
  • I can spot crazy pussy....
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2010, 05:47:53 PM »
The NFL is a whole different universe than the WAC conference.

Best of luck to the kid, though. High intelligence and toughness go a long way to becoming a pro.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2010, 09:28:22 PM »
Not really.  There are lots of WAC players in the NFL.  And for the most part, I know NFL talent when I see it.  I haven't always been right, but most of the guys I thought would play in the NFL did.  This kid will.  He's a bigger, but not quite as quick, version of Davone Bess, currently with the Dolphins.  He's 6'2", 210.  Bess is 5'10" and maybe 185. 

This kid can play.   

The Showstoppa

• Getbig V
  • Call the vet, cause these pythons are sick!
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2010, 05:13:03 AM »
6'2" 210, he will be fine.  The little WR's in the "run and shoot" are the ones who have big numbers that don't translate.  Be fun to watch and see how he does.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2010, 12:33:37 PM »
6'2" 210, he will be fine.  The little WR's in the "run and shoot" are the ones who have big numbers that don't translate.  Be fun to watch and see how he does.

This is mostly true.  For example, the guy with better numbers than Salas is his teammate Kealoha Pilares.  Having an outstanding season, but I give him about zero chance of playing in the NFL.  Not tough enough.  Hands not good enough.  Injury prone.  Good kid though. 

UPINTHEMGUTS

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2010, 12:55:11 PM »
Not really.  There are lots of WAC players in the NFL.  And for the most part, I know NFL talent when I see it.  I haven't always been right, but most of the guys I thought would play in the NFL did.  This kid will.  He's a bigger, but not quite as quick, version of Davone Bess, currently with the Dolphins.  He's 6'2", 210.  Bess is 5'10" and maybe 185.  

This kid can play.  

Hopefully, you're not one of those people who initially thought Colt Brennan would succeed.

In any case....you may have missed your calling as an NFL scout, Beach. Lord knows the 49ers could use your help.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2010, 02:36:09 PM »
Hopefully, you're not one of those people who initially thought Colt Brennan would succeed.

In any case....you may have missed your calling as an NFL scout, Beach. Lord knows the 49ers could use your help.

I was.  I still think Colt can play in the NFL.  He hasn't really had an opportunity.  His two years on the Skins roster turned out to be a waste.  He needs to go north of the border and get some playing time and maybe he can get a shot in a year or two. 

lol . . . Not good enough to be a scout, but the Niners have actually done o.k. lately.  They have the horses.  They have a good head coach.  The w's will come.  Painful to watch though.   :-\ 

UPINTHEMGUTS

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2010, 05:20:50 PM »
I was.  I still think Colt can play in the NFL.  He hasn't really had an opportunity.  His two years on the Skins roster turned out to be a waste.  He needs to go north of the border and get some playing time and maybe he can get a shot in a year or two. 

lol . . . Not good enough to be a scout, but the Niners have actually done o.k. lately.  They have the horses.  They have a good head coach.  The w's will come.  Painful to watch though.   :-\ 

Still need a top flight quarterback, tho. I liked what I saw out of Alex Smith a couple weeks ago on Monday night but he has to be more consistent.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2010, 05:35:00 PM »
Still need a top flight quarterback, tho. I liked what I saw out of Alex Smith a couple weeks ago on Monday night but he has to be more consistent.

Agree.  Thought he took a major stride against NO.  He has been pretty average since.  If he doesn't play significantly better, they need to dump him.  He's got a WR, a TE, a great running game, and good O-line.  No excuses. 

Speaking of QBs, your Ravens got a steal with Flacco.

body88

« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2010, 07:11:00 AM »

I was one of the people who thought that he would never amount to much in the NFL, and going on what I have seen from him thus far, I still feel the same way. He's just not that good, imo.

I really like Salas, however. I think he will be a good NFL player.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2010, 11:00:27 AM »
I was one of the people who thought that he would never amount to much in the NFL, and going on what I have seen from him thus far, I still feel the same way. He's just not that good, imo.

I really like Salas, however. I think he will be a good NFL player.

What have you seen from him thus far?  Other than the preseason, where he did great job, he hasn't played.  

BTW, Bess had a great game last night:  9 for 93 yards a TD.  I saw a stat that said he's second in the NFL in third down conversion catches.  Looks like he has developed into one of the best slots in the NFL.  

Option D

• Getbig V
  • Kelly the Con Way
« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2010, 11:02:12 AM »

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: October 05, 2010, 11:36:14 AM »

UPINTHEMGUTS

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: October 05, 2010, 02:07:32 PM »
Agree.  Thought he took a major stride against NO.  He has been pretty average since.  If he doesn't play significantly better, they need to dump him.  He's got a WR, a TE, a great running game, and good O-line.  No excuses.  

Speaking of QBs, your Ravens got a steal with Flacco.

He was drafted #16 in the first round so I don't know if I would call him a 'steal'. But he wasn't highly touted coming out of college and he might have slipped to the 2nd round had the Ravens not drafted him. Ironically, he was buried on the depth chart when he came to U of Pittsburgh. The Delaware Blue Hens ran a wide open spread offense that suited Flacco's skilled so he did the right thing and transferred.

At 6'6" he can really see the down the field and throw the ball a mile. But he needs to work on his throwing mechanics a little better because his passes tend to sail. But he's getting better every game he plays.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: October 05, 2010, 02:42:06 PM »
He was drafted #16 in the first round so I don't know if I would call him a 'steal'. But he wasn't highly touted coming out of college and he might have slipped to the 2nd round had the Ravens not drafted him. Ironically, he was buried on the depth chart when he came to U of Pittsburgh. The Delaware Blue Hens ran a wide open spread offense that suited Flacco's skilled so he did the right thing and transferred.

At 6'6" he can really see the down the field and throw the ball a mile. But he needs to work on his throwing mechanics a little better because his passes tend to sail. But he's getting better every game he plays.

I call him a steal because he's a franchise QB and should have gone 1 or 2, along with Ryan.  

The Showstoppa

• Getbig V
  • Call the vet, cause these pythons are sick!
« Reply #16 on: October 06, 2010, 05:25:43 AM »
Flacco is just going to get better.  He WR's have been 2nd tier at best until this year with Boldin who is going to make him even better.  And the guy just always seems so cool and calm.

body88

« Reply #17 on: October 06, 2010, 10:55:53 AM »
What have you seen from him thus far?  Other than the preseason, where he did great job, he hasn't played.  

BTW, Bess had a great game last night:  9 for 93 yards a TD.  I saw a stat this he's second in the NFL in third down conversion catches.  Looks like he has developed into one of the best slots in the NFL.  

I've said that he was an inferior QB for years. I don't like his throwing motion and I think he takes pressure poorly. Preseason play means little. A few years ago we saw the Patriots Kevin Oconnel light up the presreason and now he's some jag on the jets. When I say "what I've seen thus far" Im refering to his college career and his mechanics.

Bess is good. It's only been three games and if you compare him to the best slot reciever in the NFL over his career I think he's good but not great...yet. Several teams have guys that do what Bess does. I'm not putting him in Welker land just yet.

Just my opinion.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #18 on: October 06, 2010, 12:25:24 PM »

I've said that he was an inferior QB for years. I don't like his throwing motion and I think he takes pressure poorly. Preseason play means little. A few years ago we saw the Patriots Kevin Oconnel light up the presreason and now he's some jag on the jets. When I say "what I've seen thus far" Im refering to his college career and his mechanics.

Bess is good. It's only been three games and if you compare him to the best slot reciever in the NFL over his career I think he's good but not great...yet. Several teams have guys that do what Bess does. I'm not putting him in Welker land just yet.

Just my opinion.

Body did you really watch Colt play a lot in college?  I saw pretty much every snap he took at UH.  There were some concerns about a side-arm delivery, but handling pressure was not a problem.  He is accurate and very cool under pressure.  Arguably the best attribute a QB can have is accuracy.  No doubt in my mind he can play in the NFL.  Whether he actually gets a shot is another story. 

You still in denial about Bess?   :)  Did you hear Gruden call him the best slot in the NFL on Monday night?  I don't know if I'd go that far, but Bess is better than "good."  He had 54 catches as a rookie FA, which was second most in NFL history behind Chrebet.  He had 76 last year. 

But I'm not really concerned about whether he is considered the best slot in the NFL, mentioned in the same breath with Welker, etc.  What's important to me is I saw an NFL caliber player at UH, thought he should have been drafted, knew he could play in the NFL, and he is now one of the better WRs in the NFL, as an undrafted FA.  Very happy for him.  He was the hardest working player on the team at UH.  Great story. 

Here is what Welker has to say about Bess:

Wes Welker Sees A Lot Of Himself In Dolphins’ Davone Bess
By David Sabia
Football News Now Staff Writer
October 6, 2010

Wes Welker sung the praises of the Dolphins young breakout receiver Davone Bess following the Patriots’ 41-14 beatdown of Miami on Monday night, saying the 25-year-old remind him a lot of, well, himself.

According to the Boston Herald’s Ian Rapoport, Welker said that Bess style of play reminds him a lot of his own approach to the slot receiver position. Rapoport added that he believes Bess is a potential “Miles Austin-in-waiting,” referencing the Dallas Cowboys wideout who made himself a household name with 1,320 yards and 11 TDs last year.

Bess and Welker have many uncanny similarities. Both players entered the NFL as undrafted free agents with Miami: Welker out of Texas Tech in 2004 and Bess out of Hawaii in 2008. Both exhibit breakneck speed and spark their team with tough-as-nails playmaking abilities. Judging from Bess’ progression, it looks like he can soon add another similarity to the list in joining Welker as one of the top wide receivers in the NFL.

Despite enduring a walloping from the Patriots in Week 4, Bess led the team with 9 receptions for 93 yards and added a first quarter TD in which he beat the New England secondary to the sideline and dove into the endzone. His 26 receptions and 242 yards are second only to Brandon Marshall in Miami’s receiving corp.

“Davone made some big plays [on Monday]; he ran with the ball after the catch, made some hard catches,” Dolphins head coach Tony Sparano said after the loss. “He’s a guy that for us has been a real consistent guy. You know exactly what you’re going to get out of him at the game, and that’s comforting.”

Quarterback Chad Henne echoed Sparano’s sentiments, adding that he feels himself developing a solid connection with Bess.

“Davone’s doing a really good job in the slot even though they tried to double-cover him a couple times, he has a knack of finding a way to get open,” Henne said. “He’s becoming quarterback friendly. If he keeps getting open, we’re going to keep giving him the ball.”

Bess’ potential as one of the premiere slot receivers in the NFL rises further as Welker himself will likely abandon the position. The Patriots traded Randy Moss to Minnesota on Wednesday morning, meaning Welker will become New England’s No.1 receiver, the first time he’s held that title in his six-year career.

http://www.footballnewsnow.com/2010/wes-welker-sees-a-lot-of-himself-in-dolphins-davone-bess/

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #19 on: October 10, 2010, 05:17:07 PM »
From last night's game at Fresno:

How many WRs would just run out of bounds?

Great TD catch:

Another TD catch:

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #20 on: October 18, 2010, 11:05:03 AM »
One of his big plays on Saturday night:

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #21 on: October 18, 2010, 11:07:16 AM »
Very happy for the young man.  He earned it.  Body is he still nothing special?   :)

Miami Dolphins sign Davone Bess to two-year extension
by: Omar Kelly October 17th, 2010

The Miami Dolphins have signed receiver Davone Bess to two-year extension that well likely keep him in South Florida till after the 2012 season.

According to a league source, the deal that was agreed to on Saturday will make Bess the highest paid slot receiver in the NFL. But that distinction doesn’t include Wes Welker, who is viewed as a starting receiver for the New England Patriots.

Dolphins slot receiver Davone Bess got a contract extension

Bess, who caught five passes for 37 yards and a touchdown in Sunday’s 23-20 overtime win over the Green Bay Packers, signed a one-year tenure this offseason as an exclusive right free agent.

Terms of his new deal weren’t immediately disclosed. The Dolphins would have had his rights for two more seasons, but the front office steps up and made a suitable offer to reward the University of Hawaii product they signed as an undrafted rookie in 2008 for all his hard work, and productivity.

This season Bess is second on the team with 26 receptions for 282 yards and two touchdowns.

During his two-plus seasons with the Dolphins he’d starting nine games, and caught 156 passes for 1,594 yards and has scored five touchdowns. Bess is also in his third season as the team’s primary punt returner.

http://blogs.sun-sentinel.com/sports_football_dolphins/2010/10/miami-dolphins-sign-davone-bess-to-extension.html?utm_source=bleacherreport.com&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+sports%2FMiamiDolphinsweblog+%28Miami+Dolphins+%7C+Sun-Sentinel+Blogs%29

body88

« Reply #22 on: October 18, 2010, 12:20:59 PM »

Where in this thread did I say that he was nothing special? I said he was good not great.

Very happy for the young man.  He earned it.  Body is he still nothing special?   :)

Miami Dolphins sign Davone Bess to two-year extension
by: Omar Kelly October 17th, 2010

The Miami Dolphins have signed receiver Davone Bess to two-year extension that well likely keep him in South Florida till after the 2012 season.

According to a league source, the deal that was agreed to on Saturday will make Bess the highest paid slot receiver in the NFL. But that distinction doesn’t include Wes Welker, who is viewed as a starting receiver for the New England Patriots.

Dolphins slot receiver Davone Bess got a contract extension

Bess, who caught five passes for 37 yards and a touchdown in Sunday’s 23-20 overtime win over the Green Bay Packers, signed a one-year tenure this offseason as an exclusive right free agent.

Terms of his new deal weren’t immediately disclosed. The Dolphins would have had his rights for two more seasons, but the front office steps up and made a suitable offer to reward the University of Hawaii product they signed as an undrafted rookie in 2008 for all his hard work, and productivity.

This season Bess is second on the team with 26 receptions for 282 yards and two touchdowns.

During his two-plus seasons with the Dolphins he’d starting nine games, and caught 156 passes for 1,594 yards and has scored five touchdowns. Bess is also in his third season as the team’s primary punt returner.

http://blogs.sun-sentinel.com/sports_football_dolphins/2010/10/miami-dolphins-sign-davone-bess-to-extension.html?utm_source=bleacherreport.com&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+sports%2FMiamiDolphinsweblog+%28Miami+Dolphins+%7C+Sun-Sentinel+Blogs%29

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #23 on: October 18, 2010, 12:39:56 PM »
Where in this thread did I say that he was nothing special? I said he was good not great.

Not in this thread.  You've previously said this about Bess:

[quote author=body88 link=topic=259939.msg3659449#msg3659449 date=1232761512

I respect your opinion but I simply do not agree.  Bess is not special.  I watched him vs the pats twice, and I would take Perish over him all day.  Welker is special, Fitz is special...etc.  Bess is a good player.  There are a lot of guys in the NFL like Bess. 

[/quote]

BTW, I looked at the first two seasons of Welker and Bess (not counting Welker's rookie season where he was strictly a return man):

Welker
05:  29 for 434, 0 TDs
06:  67 for 687, 1 TD

Bess
08:  54 for 554, 1 TD
09:  76 for 758, 2 TDs

Welker exploded in 07 and 08 for over 100 receptions each year, but that was with Brady and Moss.  I think if you put Bess in a passing offense with a great QB he would catch 100 passes a year. 

In any event, he's about to get paid pretty well. 

body88

« Reply #24 on: October 18, 2010, 02:37:51 PM »
You're comparing apples to oranges. The Miami Dolphins of 08 and 09 were much better team than the Cloe Lemon (and other scrub led) teams of 2005 - 2006.

Bess does have a fantastic team around him. The QB is good, brandon Marshall is a monster, the running game is very talented and now they have a legit tight end in Fasano and good offensive linemen.

Also, at the time I wrote that, Bess was nothing special. I recently stated that Bess is a good player. He has plenty of new weapons around him.

Bess is not as good as Welker imo. He is not as smart and not as polished of a route runner. We'll agree to disagree on that one because it aint even close, imo.