Author Topic: Donald Trump 'seriously' considering running for president in 2012 as a Repub  (Read 2066 times)

Arnold jr

• Getbig V
  • fleshandiron.com
It is strange because they all enjoy the benefits of modernity, a modernity that was ushered in by science and yet, they reject it.

So if you believe what the bible says is true yet you live in the present day then you are rejecting science? This makes no sense. This notion that Christians reject science is pretty laughable. If you're religious you reject science? Sorry, I had to type it out again because it's so absurd.

OK, how about Benjamin Franklin? He is considered a brilliant man in U.S. history, one of our founders, a statesman, a man of science, an inventor, a student of the human body (that last one cracks me up, some funny stories) so here's a guy who had religious faith, but he was an inventor, a scientist....how does that fit with your theory?

...and please don't retaliate with "Franklin and the rest were deist" I get tired of making fools out of this comment.

Deicide

• Getbig V
  • Reapers...
So if you believe what the bible says is true yet you live in the present day then you are rejecting science? This makes no sense. This notion that Christians reject science is pretty laughable. If you're religious you reject science? Sorry, I had to type it out again because it's so absurd.

OK, how about Benjamin Franklin? He is considered a brilliant man in U.S. history, one of our founders, a statesman, a man of science, an inventor, a student of the human body (that last one cracks me up, some funny stories) so here's a guy who had religious faith, but he was an inventor, a scientist....how does that fit with your theory?

...and please don't retaliate with "Franklin and the rest were deist" I get tired of making fools out of this comment.

Most Christians in the US reject Evolution, which is foundational for all biology. Like I said, I worked with a high school biology teacher who rejected Evolution. You are speaking of anomalies when you reference Franklin. He was a polymath and his sort (religious or otherwise) is as rare as an honest politician. By rejection I mean that many religious people are perfectly willing to accept the triumphs of science all the while rejecting the things that do not fit in well with their dogma.
I hate the State.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Doesnt lie about lifting.
Most Christians in the US reject Evolution, which is foundational for all biology. Like I said, I worked with a high school biology teacher who rejected Evolution. You are speaking of anomalies when you reference Franklin. He was a polymath and his sort (religious or otherwise) is as rare as an honest politician. By rejection I mean that many religious people are perfectly willing to accept the triumphs of science all the while rejecting the things that do not fit in well with their dogma.

So - people are free to believe what they want.  So long as they don't bother you and raise your taxes what do you care?

Deicide

• Getbig V
  • Reapers...
So - people are free to believe what they want.  So long as they don't bother you and raise your taxes what do you care?

That's the thing. Most Christians NEED to preach. In schools people fight over whether or not evolution should be taught because religious people think they should interfere. Many Christian fundies support our outlandish donations to Israel as well and so and so forth. They don't just leave people alone.
I hate the State.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
That's the thing. Most Christians NEED to preach. In schools people fight over whether or not evolution should be taught because religious people think they should interfere. Many Christian fundies support our outlandish donations to Israel as well and so and so forth. They don't just leave people alone.

So?  if they do it on their time and with their money - what is it to you? 

There are many things I find about the christian right beyond gooy and absurd, but guess what - they are not jacking my energy taxes, health care mandates, etc on me. 

See, i can at the same time laugh at someone while respecting the fact that they have freedom to believe what they want and not bug me legally. 

The far left on the other hand imposes so much crap on us daily its not funny.   

See the distinction?   

loco

• Getbig V
  • loco like a fox
It is strange because they all enjoy the benefits of modernity, a modernity that was ushered in by science and yet, they reject it.

It is strange that you feel that way because you enjoy the benefits of modernity, a modernity that was ushered in by many scientists, most of them Christians, and yet you despise them all.

Nicholas Copernicus, Blaise Pascal, Sir Francis Bacon, Johannes Kepler, Galileo Galilei, Rene Descartes, Sir Isaac Newton, Robert Boyle, Michael Faraday, Gregor Mendel, William Thomson Kelvin, Max Planck, Sir Ronald Aylmer Fisher, Theodosius Dobzhansky, Arthur Peacocke, Russell Stannard, John Polkinghorne and Francis Collins.

As examples of "good scientists who are sincerely religious", Dawkins names Arthur Peacocke, Russell Stannard, John Polkinghorne and Francis Collins.
- Dawkins, Richard (2006). The God Delusion, 99. ISBN 0-618-68000-4.  

Among the fathers of the so-called modern synthesis, Theodosius Dobzhansky was a Christian and something of an amateur theologian; Sir Ronald Fisher was a deeply devout Anglican who, between founding modern statistics and population genetics, penned articles for church magazines.
- H. Allen Orr, "Gould on God", Can religion and science be happily reconciled?
http://www.bostonreview.net/BR24.5/orr.html

Deicide

• Getbig V
  • Reapers...
So?  if they do it on their time and with their money - what is it to you? 

There are many things I find about the christian right beyond gooy and absurd, but guess what - they are not jacking my energy taxes, health care mandates, etc on me. 

See, i can at the same time laugh at someone while respecting the fact that they have freedom to believe what they want and not bug me legally. 

The far left on the other hand imposes so much crap on us daily its not funny.   

See the distinction?   

I do and I don't like Obama very much either. I am sorry to say it; I want a real alternative to dems and repubs; I don't like either and I want something better.
I hate the State.

Deicide

• Getbig V
  • Reapers...
It is strange that you feel that way because you enjoy the benefits of modernity, a modernity that was ushered in by many scientists, most of them Christians, and yet you despise them all.

Nicholas Copernicus, Blaise Pascal, Sir Francis Bacon, Johannes Kepler, Galileo Galilei, Rene Descartes, Sir Isaac Newton, Robert Boyle, Michael Faraday, Gregor Mendel, William Thomson Kelvin, Max Planck, Sir Ronald Aylmer Fisher, Theodosius Dobzhansky, Arthur Peacocke, Russell Stannard, John Polkinghorne and Francis Collins.

As examples of "good scientists who are sincerely religious", Dawkins names Arthur Peacocke, Russell Stannard, John Polkinghorne and Francis Collins.
- Dawkins, Richard (2006). The God Delusion, 99. ISBN 0-618-68000-4.  

Among the fathers of the so-called modern synthesis, Theodosius Dobzhansky was a Christian and something of an amateur theologian; Sir Ronald Fisher was a deeply devout Anglican who, between founding modern statistics and population genetics, penned articles for church magazines.
- H. Allen Orr, "Gould on God", Can religion and science be happily reconciled?
http://www.bostonreview.net/BR24.5/orr.html

All the modern scientists you cite believe in evolution and not that the earth is only a few thousand years old.
I hate the State.

loco

• Getbig V
  • loco like a fox
All the modern scientists you cite believe in evolution and not that the earth is only a few thousand years old.

They are devout Christians, yet you despise them for that reason alone.

All the devout Christian scientists I listed have contributed to the modernity that you and Christians alike enjoy.  So what was your point about Christians enjoying modernity ushered in by science?

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
I do and I don't like Obama very much either. I am sorry to say it; I want a real alternative to dems and repubs; I don't like either and I want something better.

We all do, but reality is what it is.  I cring at some of the bible belt types.  People like Huckabee make me ill, but at the end of the day, i have to tap my practical self and say what is worse - putting up with a bible belter who probably will leave me alone on most things, or a far left nanny stater who will try to re-engineer my life in all sorts of crazy ways.  

I try to accept reality for what it is, not how i want it, and act accordingly.  

BM OUT

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!

Liberals are the biggest "preachers" I know.Every single week in CT when Id drive my car on Sunday there would the anti war liberals be shouting at cars to blow their horns as they drove by.They call people who dont believe in the hoax of  man made global warming "deniers" as though they are like holocaust deniers.They sit outside supermarkets and want you to sign pettitions for their causes.Yes religious people preach but liberals do it even more.

Arnold jr

• Getbig V
  • fleshandiron.com

For the sake of argument, lets say all Christians who reject evolution are dead wrong...OK, fine but that has nothing to do with accepting the triumphs of science. Christians do not reject advances made in technology, in medicine and things of that nature. Yes, I realize there are some small groups that probably do, but on the whole, your typical American citizen who considers themselves a Christian does not reject any of these things.

The argument you're speaking of is simply "How did we start out" not on the acceptance practical scientific advancement. 

Arnold jr

• Getbig V
  • fleshandiron.com

Many non-Christians feel they need to interfere with their beliefs, it's a two way street. Just because one side has a differing opinion doesn't make that one side special.

Many non-Christians support our donations to Israel, the majority of Americans, Christian or not do, most consider Israel and Americans allies, so I am not sure what you're getting at with this one.