Author Topic: Why is it that there is such reverence for the military but veterans are  (Read 1005 times)

Deicide

• Getbig V
  • Reapers...
treated like shit?

We saw in Vietnam and we are seeing it now. I saw it all the time on the NYC subway and in this case it IS the government's responsibilty to take care of them. Why are they living homeless on the streets? We send them off to fight (and potentially die) a pointless  and wasteful war and when they come back they aren't even taken care of. Horrible, horrible thing...and it is not just the homelessness; many soldiers suffer from posttraumatic stress and do not receive treatment when they come back, again the government's responsibility.

I would be curious to see what people's opinions are.
I hate the State.

Hereford

• Getbig V
Re: Why is it that there is such reverence for the military but veterans are
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2010, 04:07:12 PM »
Why do veterans = homeless?

Most bums have never been in the armed forces.

Deicide

• Getbig V
  • Reapers...
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2010, 04:09:40 PM »
Why do veterans = homeless?

Most bums have never been in the armed forces.

No, I mean that there are many veterans who are homeless; not that homeless are all veterans.

I actually stopped and talked to a few on the subway. Rather chilling stories.

That really wasn't the point though. The government has a responsibility to take care of returning veterans and yet it does not.
I hate the State.

George Whorewell

• Getbig V
  • TND
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2010, 04:10:00 PM »
There are too many people like you in this country. That's the best reason that I can come up with.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2010, 04:10:26 PM »
I disagree.  We take pretty good care of our veterans.  It's nothing like the Vietnam era.  Not everything is perfect.  There are problems, but overall, veterans get treated with respect, get veterans preferences for many jobs, job assistance, wounded veterans get medical care, etc.  

Deicide

• Getbig V
  • Reapers...
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2010, 04:12:55 PM »
There are too many people like you in this country. That's the best reason that I can come up with.

Uhuh. And who are people like me, Enlightened One?
I hate the State.

Deicide

• Getbig V
  • Reapers...
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2010, 04:15:29 PM »
I disagree.  We take pretty good care of our veterans.  It's nothing like the Vietnam era.  Not everything is perfect.  There are problems, but overall, veterans get treated with respect, get veterans preferences for many jobs, job assistance, wounded veterans get medical care, etc.  

If they did do a good job, things like this would not happen:

http://blackpoliticalthought.blogspot.com/2010/08/iraq-war-veteran-matthew-magdzas-kills.html

Iraq war veteran Matthew Magdzas kills pregnant wife, 13-month old daughter and three dogs before killing himself in apparent murder-suicide.
SHOCK: Matthew Magdzas, a 23 year old Wisconsin National Guard soldier and Iraq war veteran, killed his wife, April Oles-Magdzas, who was due to give birth to her second daughter Wednesday, their 13 month-old daughter, Lila, and their three dogs before taking his life in an apparent murder-suicide in Superior, WI.

Investigators believe the killings occurred Tuesday afternoon, but like friends of the couple, they are still wondering why. Police Capt. Chad La Lor told The Associated Press that Magdzas did not leave behind a suicide note, and that investigators have found no evidence the couple had money problems or was unduly stressed by the pending birth of their daughter. There was no indication either had been unfaithful.

La Lor said investigators plan to subpoena Magdzas' military medical records to see if he had complained of or been treated for signs of post traumatic stress disorder. Source
My thoughts and prayers go out to the families and I pray that the military does a better job of helping their soldiers with their re-entry into normal life after serving their country. Investigators reportedly recovered a 9-millimeter handgun in the house they believe Magdzas used. They also reportedly discovered what appeared to be a bomb in a backpack in the house, but explosives experts later determined it likely wasn't and destroyed it.
I hate the State.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2010, 04:19:28 PM »
If they did do a good job, things like this would not happen:

http://blackpoliticalthought.blogspot.com/2010/08/iraq-war-veteran-matthew-magdzas-kills.html

And this proves what exactly?  How about the thousands of vets who are being properly treated, respected, etc.? 

Wait . . . don't you live in another country? 

Deicide

• Getbig V
  • Reapers...
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2010, 04:33:14 PM »
And this proves what exactly?  How about the thousands of vets who are being properly treated, respected, etc.? 

Wait . . . don't you live in another country? 

I do now though up until a week ago I was living in the US and when I was there I saw a quite a number of homeless who were veterans on the NYC subway. My point is simply that the government needs to do a better job.
I hate the State.

OzmO

• Getbig V
  • Drink enough Kool-aid and you'll think its healthy
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2010, 04:39:08 PM »
treated like shit?

We saw in Vietnam and we are seeing it now. I saw it all the time on the NYC subway and in this case it IS the government's responsibilty to take care of them. Why are they living homeless on the streets? We send them off to fight (and potentially die) a pointless  and wasteful war and when they come back they aren't even taken care of. Horrible, horrible thing...and it is not just the homelessness; many soldiers suffer from posttraumatic stress and do not receive treatment when they come back, again the government's responsibility.

I don't see it. 

If a vet is homeless whose fault is it?

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2010, 05:02:08 PM »
I do now though up until a week ago I was living in the US and when I was there I saw a quite a number of homeless who were veterans on the NYC subway. My point is simply that the government needs to do a better job.

I suspect a good portion of the homeless vets you saw don't want help and/or have mental problems.  The help is there.  Can't force people to take advantage of anything.

Kazan

• Getbig V
  • Sic vis pacem, parabellum
« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2010, 05:30:03 PM »
Just because a bum is wearing a army jacket doesn't make him a vet, you would be surprised(or maybe you wouldn't be) how many posers are out there claiming military service. Another thing is other vets and active duty do not let there brothers suffer they are always willing to lend a hand. Now for me If I see soldiers in a restaurant or whatever i will just pay their bill anonymously, they know they are appreciated.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

BayGBM

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2010, 05:33:20 PM »
treated like shit?

We have a saying where I come from, “Don’t listen to what people say… listen to what they do.”

We do not care about “the troops” nor do we care about veterans.   If we cared we would not send them into harms way with insufficient equipment or armaments.  We would not send them into wars unnecessarily; we would tar and feather any leader who dared to do that.  And we would treat veterans with honor and dignity.  I don’t know about youm, but I have not seen that in my lifetime.  All of which is to say that Americans do not care about people in the military.  We say we do—but we don’t. :-[

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2010, 07:47:47 PM »
first off ppl in this country, most ppl in the country do care and very much appreciate what our soldiers do for us...

however you need to remember that nobody forced these ppl to sign on the dotted line. They did this of their own accord and as such they should be responsible for their situations that result from that...

you hold up a murder suicide as proof that we dont take care of our vets  ::) what about all the other suicides in this country? what do you attribute those to? what about the other vets that dont come home and kill ppl and themselves? I guess facts arent your forte huh?

vets are eligible for education, home loans, medical, job preferences etc...etc...

why dont you do this tell us why you think the US doesnt take care of its vets and what you think it should fix?

Arnold jr

• Getbig V
  • fleshandiron.com
« Reply #14 on: October 06, 2010, 08:27:22 PM »
first off ppl in this country, most ppl in the country do care and very much appreciate what our soldiers do for us...

however you need to remember that nobody forced these ppl to sign on the dotted line. They did this of their own accord and as such they should be responsible for their situations that result from that...

you hold up a murder suicide as proof that we dont take care of our vets  ::) what about all the other suicides in this country? what do you attribute those to? what about the other vets that dont come home and kill ppl and themselves? I guess facts arent your forte huh?

vets are eligible for education, home loans, medical, job preferences etc...etc...

why dont you do this tell us why you think the US doesnt take care of its vets and what you think it should fix?

Very good post. Most people that complain about this forget that these men volunteered, no one put a gun to their head...the sad truth, and I hate saying this, many join because of the benefits received after service.

But it is just that, "Service" and like any service, it's supposed to be done out of the good nature of the individual, "wanting to serve his country."

Now I'll be the first to say, soldiers that come back injured, have no ability to physically be independent any more or our handicapped because of service, absolutely we should take care of these people, those families who lose loved ones, absolutely, the people of this country, not the government, should man up and help out, and many do.

Now if you serve and come back to private life with a bum mentality, sorry, you're a bum, volunteer service does not render a handout. And most vets do not fall into this category and that's good.

Last thing, the mental aspect, I believe a lot of guys milk this...I've heard a lot of guys say this happens a lot...it's good for sympathy. I'm not saying there aren't legitimate cases but many are bogus. 

Hereford

• Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: October 07, 2010, 09:34:05 AM »
Just because a bum is wearing a army jacket doesn't make him a vet, you would be surprised(or maybe you wouldn't be) how many posers are out there claiming military service. Another thing is other vets and active duty do not let there brothers suffer they are always willing to lend a hand. Now for me If I see soldiers in a restaurant or whatever i will just pay their bill anonymously, they know they are appreciated.

X2

The local homeless collection and promotion center near my town did their little pointless yearly survey this summer, and something like 76% of the bums reported that they were vets. Independent groups figure something around 12-14% is the actual number. A bum will claim anything if they think it will get them something.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #16 on: October 07, 2010, 09:35:59 AM »
If a vet is homeless whose fault is it?

Bush's fault.

Blow me if you can't take a joke, biiitches.