Author Topic: Do you love your enemies?  (Read 1325 times)

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
Do you love your enemies?
« on: October 09, 2010, 04:24:34 PM »
I think it relates to the verb and not the noun.  Also one of the hardest things to do as a Christian. 

For the Christians on the board, what does this really mean?

loco

• Getbig V
  • loco like a fox
Re: Do you love your enemies?
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2010, 06:48:22 AM »
It means what it says.  And Jesus Christ himself is a great example.

Luke 6:27-28
"But I tell you who hear me: Love your enemies, do good to those who hate you, 28bless those who curse you, pray for those who mistreat you.

It is very hard to do this, but it is good for our bodies and for our souls.  We only hurt ourselves and our health by hating those who mistreat us and by holding grudges.

We must forgive them, pray for them, love them, do good things for them if there is an opportunity, but we do not have to associate with them.  There are certain people in this world that we are not supposed to associate with, even if they go to church and even if they are Christians:

1 Corinthians 5:10-11
not at all meaning the people of this world who are immoral, or the greedy and swindlers, or idolaters. In that case you would have to leave this world. 11But now I am writing you that you must not associate with anyone who calls himself a brother but is sexually immoral or greedy, an idolater or a slanderer, a drunkard or a swindler. With such a man do not even eat.

1 Corinthians 15:33
Do not be misled: "Bad company corrupts good character."

2 Thessalonians 3:14-15
If anyone does not obey our instruction in this letter, take special note of him. Do not associate with him, in order that he may feel ashamed. 15Yet do not regard him as an enemy, but warn him as a brother.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2010, 09:39:02 AM »

Luke 6:27-28
"But I tell you who hear me: Love your enemies, do good to those who hate you, 28bless those who curse you, pray for those who mistreat you.

This seems to be defining love as a verb (i.e., how you treat people).  That is hard, but doable.  I guess the part I question is love a noun.  Is it really possible to feel love for an "enemy"?  I wonder if that's realistic? 

Arnold jr

• Getbig V
  • fleshandiron.com
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2010, 02:08:27 PM »
This seems to be defining love as a verb (i.e., how you treat people).  That is hard, but doable.  I guess the part I question is love a noun.  Is it really possible to feel love for an "enemy"?  I wonder if that's realistic? 

Man that's a tough one. I think that's a struggle for just about anyone. Is it possible? Yes, I believe it is. Jesus was the example of how we're supposed to live and he showed men that it was possible to even do this. Hard, yes, impossible, no.

I'll admit, it's something I struggle with.

loco

• Getbig V
  • loco like a fox
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2010, 12:31:03 PM »
This seems to be defining love as a verb (i.e., how you treat people).  That is hard, but doable.  I guess the part I question is love a noun.  Is it really possible to feel love for an "enemy"?  I wonder if that's realistic?  

I know what you mean.  It is always hard to love somebody you would not love naturally, the way that you love your mom, your kids, etc.  Who is your enemy?  Your son, God forbid, could become your enemy one day, but I doubt that you would stop loving him even then.  But that is only because he is your son and that kind of love comes naturally.

Butterbean

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2010, 08:01:23 AM »
AGree w/the posts here.

Jesus said the two greatest commandments are:

Matthew 22:37-40
...... " 'Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.' This is the first and greatest commandment. And the second is like it: 'Love your neighbor as yourself.'All the Law and the Prophets hang on these two commandments."

If we really struggle in doing good to our enemies, this passage can help us:

Romans 12:20:
   "If your enemy is hungry, feed him;
      if he is thirsty, give him something to drink.
   In doing this, you will heap burning coals on his head:)
R

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Doesnt lie about lifting.
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2010, 08:12:06 AM »

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2010, 02:45:05 PM »
lol.  I don't know, I think 33 has the best response so far:  "crush your enemies."   :)  j/k

Thanks for the responses.  Very challenging issue.  I tell my kids that their character is defined in large part by how they treat people they don't like. 

loco

• Getbig V
  • loco like a fox
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2010, 06:44:16 AM »
lol.  I don't know, I think 33 has the best response so far:  "crush your enemies."   :)  j/k

Thanks for the responses.  Very challenging issue.  I tell my kids that their character is defined in large part by how they treat people they don't like

That's great!  I'll have to remember this one!    ;D

wavelength

• Getbig V
  • ~~~
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2010, 04:01:12 PM »
It means realizing that even our worst enemies are not separate from us. Love is just finding ourselves in others, as painful as it maybe is at times.